Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Here's something I've been noticing recently... Seems like most of the comedy podcasts I listen to come from the Los Angeles area, which is odd, because everyone's always talking about how much better the standup scene is in New York rather than LA, but LA has the opportunity for TV shows and commercials and movies, so everyone lives there.

Julie Klausner does "How Was Your Week?" out of NYC, but scrolling through my list of subscriptions I don't see any others. And how about Chicago? There's the AV Club podcast, but for all the talk of Second City and the improv scene there, it seems like there ought to be a comedy podcast from there.

It's entirely possible that I'm just missing lots of great stuff, so I'd love to hear if there's anything from these cities (or San Francisco, or Toronto, or wherever). I know a lot of the interview material involves traveling standups from all over the country. For instance, Memphis has no comedy scene to speak of, so nobody comes here. But three hours east, Nashville gets a lot of great acts, so there's potential for a Nashville-based podcast. Hell, what about Vegas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

RightClickSaveAs posted:

It's so weird that there's a podcast "circuit" for comedians and celebrities now. I saw Seth Rogen's name pop up on Adam Carolla's podcast last week and was thinking "wow that's a good get", then looking at all the other podcasts that are coming out, turns out he's hitting a lot of them up to promote 'This is the End'. I haven't listened to the others yet, but he was a great guest on Carolla's. I can't dislike the guy, even though a lot of his movies have worn thin for me.

Every couple of months it happens when somebody will show up on *every* podcast. I think that the most disappointing for me was Jonathan Katz. Huge fan of Dr. Katz, love his standup, but he did an almost identical shtick on a dozen podcasts in the course of a week.

I find that some of my favorite episodes come on Kevin Pollak's Chat Show, because he interviews people that don't appear on a lot of others and with a good guest, you've got 2-3 hours of great stories. The recent one with Peter Farrelly was amazing, and the one with Dave Coulier gave me a whole new respect for that comedian.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

FitFortDanga posted:

Anyone know if Dana Gould Hour is finished or just on hiatus? It's been 3 months :(

He's on Fitzdog Radio this week with Greg Fitzsimmons... Apparently he's going through a divorce, and it's a depressing podcast. Always liked the guy, sorry to hear about it.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, it sounded vague to me as well. If Dana Gould, that really sucks, since they have adopted kids, making it worse since it hurts them some as well. I love Dana. :(

Apologies. Greg's marriage is fine, Dana's is broken, but they're amicable and both are still taking care of the adopted kids from China. Still a depressing podcast episode, though.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
PFT announces that he'll put out a new episode this year:

http://splitsider.com/2014/01/paul-f-tompkins-says-the-pod-f-tompkast-will-return-this-year/

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Politicalrancor posted:

Also Matt Gourley's favorite bond is Roger Moore and I just Don't Get It.

Moore fan here. I did a marathon viewing of all the Bond films after Quantum of Solace came out, and read some of the behind-the-scenes details on each one. In real life and on screen, Roger Moore seemed to be the one who enjoyed playing the role the most. The more you read about Connery, the more watching his Bond is like being stuck in an office with someone who hates his job. Dalton didn't really get to go into the role in much depth, the Brosnan films were just insane SFX, and Lazenby is just sort of a footnote.

I actually think Craig is doing the best Bond, but those three movies are so different from the first stretch that it's hard to compare.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
New Norm Macdonald podcast is up today, with Ray Romano.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Sklarbro County drops late Monday/early Tuesday. Fun if you're into the Sklars and want to hear crazy stories about Florida.

The new Norm MacDonald episode with Adam Sandler was really underwhelming.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

ChickenArise posted:

Ron Funches can return as much as he'd like, too. (this may be true of any podcast or show)

Ron Funches was just on the Fitzdog Radio podcast, and the first part of the show was the two of them talking about Robin Williams. Interesting to hear him talking about something so serious.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Brock Samson posted:

I can't imagine Ron Funches ever being serious.

Ron Funches posted:

"A lot of the comedy comes from escaping previous traumas. Wearing the mask of a clown when you're really sad."

There's a lot of that podcast where he's just telling stories about his life, and he's not in the overly happy and giggly persona. It's definitely an interesting listen. It's not Marc Maron serious, but he's just having a normal conversation for most of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
Holy poo poo, today's episode of The Film Vault went into some dark places. The general friendly argument style of the podcast turns into a real fight at the end. I'm surprised they released it.

• Locked thread