Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Cake Boss' attention to detail in that would you rather was incredible. I loved the "WHY DO I DO IT?!" when Scott told him he calls Batman every night to gloat about beating his record, and the fact that Batman wouldn't even know if not for the phone calls. Also his wondering if he'd ever find true love as the tippy-toed gold-brained balsa wood plane was almost too sweet to be funny.

I hope the Cake Boss makes an appearance on the Pod F. Tompkast soon.

I was recently stuck in a hotel room while on a business trip and I had a chance to watch the REAL Cake Boss... I thought PFT was making a ridiculous impersonation of some Italian guy who makes cakes. His impression of the Cake Boss is almost perfect.

The_Rob posted:

Well you were wrong so I am glad they jumped all over you. If you can't enjoy Birthday Checks I really don't know what to say.

I love CDR radio and I love Weirder Scott, I love comedy music and even the bad stuff is funny because it's bad.

Everyone should do themselves a favor and listen to every episode that has Nick Kroll, he is so drat hilarious. Also all the episodes with Paul F. Tompkins are great... hell any episode where they have characters where they improvise are great. This weeks episode was so drat hilarious.

I also listen to Kevin Smith's Smodcast, the ones where they play out a scene are the best (usually a news story).

Superego is great, I love the "spidermin 2" guy.

The Lavender Hour is loving hilarious, everyone should listen to it. The only problem is that they are very inconsistent with releasing new episodes.

Doug Loves Movies, Pod F Tompkast, Comedy and Everything else and the Adam Carolla Show are also great and I listen to them every new episode.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 17, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mt. Modular posted:

After hearing a few funny clips, i finally subscribed to The Best Show on WFMU podcast and listened to the latest episode... Man...did I pick the wrong time to get into this show.

I downloaded all the episodes I could off itunes and found episodes with guests I might like but still... this show is just not good. I gave it a fair shake but it's like 3 hours of mediocre comedy, the host is terrible and most of the call in bits are terrible. Though I do admit sometimes there's a chuckle, in 3 hours only one or two is totally not worth it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

You could not be more wrong. Maybe the show just isn't for you.

Maybe but I really want to give it a chance since I hear lots of good things (though I hear lots of good things about pardcast and opie and anthony but I can't stand them). Is there a specific episode that would be good to listen to?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Carabus posted:

I've been liking smodcast recently, but only the episodes with Smith and Mosier.

Mosier is pretty much the only reason the show is funny, otherwise Kevin would just vamp all day about pussy and masturbating (which he does when he has a guest co-host). None of the co-hosts know how to play along and they rarely have a thought on any subject, and even if they did have a thought they don't talk about it the way that Mosier does.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Puppy Galaxy posted:

WTF was great this week. I cannot believe how hard Louis CK works.

Also, CDR had me cracking up when I heard the last half hour today -- hope Patrick McMahan returns with some more Johnny McGorey stories.

CDR was loving great, I just love the episodes where they have characters, they're always hilarious.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

webster876 posted:

Birbiglia's part of the newest This American Life is my favorite Birbiglia so far. Also, I absolutly LOVE that podcasts are recognized as such a viable form of media that they now have a circuit. First everybody from The League was on CDR, DLM, The Nerdist, now Mike Birbiglia is doing TAL, CDR and Nerdist. Has it always been like this, at least for established comedians? Or is this new?

I think the circuit is new, a lot of guys have done their promotions on the Adam Carolla show but I only recently noticed people making the rounds on all the other shows.

Birbiglia is a funny standup, I love his specials (they're streaming on netflix), but he's not really good at improv or coming up with jokes on the fly. I wasn't a big fan of this weeks CDR, it's a shame because I was looking forward to listening.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wyld Cannon posted:

Yeah, he didn't really seem to get any of Aukerman's silly wordplay jokes (so he'd probably be a real snoozer on Never Not Funny). On the Nerdist Chris was saying how Birbiglia is really into writing his jokes and is constantly writing so that probably gives creedence to him not being great at improv.

I did enjoy the weird Beatles trailer in the episode though.

I was cracking up at the Beatles trailer, it's pretty much what I was thinking when I saw the actual trailer. There were definitely good parts of the episode but overall it was pretty boring.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The_Rob posted:

CDR 76.2 with Zach Galifanakis is up on earwolf now.

5, 4, 3, nose, 1

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Civil posted:

Adam Carolla's show/interview with Mike Rowe is terrific. I prefer the show style episodes, but this was gold.

The amount of stupidity in this interview was at an all time high... relationship with dirt? What the hell are they talking about? The technology that allows some of us to not be dirty when we come home from work didn't exist 100 loving years ago.

The reason our GDP was high 100 years ago has little to do with people being dirty, it's because we were PRODUCING things.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

big business sloth posted:

Anyone wanna let me in on which CDRR eps are just classic and really good? All the ones I've heard so far have been pretty good, but some have been better than others and it's tough to gauge by names alone.

Look for any episode that has Nick Kroll, and then any episode with Paul F. Tompkins. Always good stuff.

edit:

Strange Matter posted:

Adam knows nothing about history and even less about economics. It wouldn't be so bad if people called him on it now and then but he surrounds himself with people who never disagree with him. His relentless supply side economics was one of the factors that drove me away from his show.

I have a feeling that all his ideas of how the past was are based on old TV shows, and all of his ideas on how modern kids/people are is based on reality TV.

In reality the past sucked, and the present for everyone in the country almost always sucks less.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 21, 2010

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

t3ch3 posted:

I suspect the reaction has a lot to do with her being a woman.

I always notice that any time there's a woman involved in any kind of comedy (podcast or otherwise) it's pretty much nothing but negative comments.

I'm actually a big fan of Jimmy and Steph, I find them to be hilarious and often times really informative. I like the silly humor that they do, it makes me chuckle out loud all the time.

This weeks CDR started slow (I thought) but once the ghosts and ghouls showed up it really picked up. Had me laughing almost non stop till the end, the monster mash song was great too especially the "Get the gently caress out of here" at the end.

edit:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Are you serious? You honestly think people didn't like the episode because she is a woman?

That's pretty much the reaction to every female comedian in this thread and itunes and everywhere else. Your guess is as good as mine, but I find most of the ones on these podcasts funny and the internet seems to hate them. The female comedians that I usually dislike are the kind that talk about tampons and how men suck.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 29, 2010

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wise Old Shitashi posted:

Hey, what do ya know? It's a POD F TOMPKAST EXTRASODE.

Hahaha, Ice T's Pyramid Scheme... it's exactly what it sounds like

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

stop downloading George Clooney and Julia Roberts podcast about what they ate for breakfast.

I'd love to hear this, what's that podcast called?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Does anyone know who's been on the pardcastathon so far? or where to find that out?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

redz posted:

This is the list from the AST forums:
Rob Corddry
Rich Sommer
Jesse Thorn
Sarah Silverman
Steve Agee
Danielle Fishel (yes, Topanga)
Tom Dreesen
Danielle Koenig
Aimee Mann
Kevin Pollak
Andy Richter "via Skype"
Paul Gilmartin
Jen Kirkman
Paul F. Tompkins
Todd Levin
Graham Elwood
La Bamba
Paul Rust
Tami Sagher
Doug Benson
Greg Behrendt
Mike Schmidt
Dave Holmes

I fell asleep shortly after PFT came out for the 4th time.

I stayed up until some time after Doug Benson, I missed Rob Steve and Sarah though :(, I came in around the end of Tom Dressen.

edit: also couldn't find the thread on AST

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bananasinpajamas posted:

Okay, so being as racist and sexist as possible to get listeners is okay, but having material and good, intriguing guests is NOT okay. Okay good.

That's the kind of humor I'm interested in!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

benito posted:

Looks like he's had another airplane incident, so expect this to be the primary topic on his podcasts for the next couple of months:

Kevin Smith and Adam Carolla are starting to get on my nerves for the same reason: they're either rehashing the same dozen stories about their lives from ages 10-25, or they're complaining about poor customer service at airports. They're both interesting people, but drat, it gets old after a while. Go out there, do some living, have some experiences, and come back when you've got a story to tell. Don't just fill up time by repeating yourself over and over again.

I stopped listening to Adam Carolla and listen to Kevin Smith as a last resort if there's nothing else I can listen to (along with WTF).

Though I do like Hollywood Babble-on because I too (along with Kev) get to learn all about pop-culture when Ralph reports on it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Re: The Podcast Eating Contest
It's a bummer for you guys who can't get past the belching. It's just "a thing". It's funny and endearing. Like I said, I think it's funny that people seem to get so worked up over it. If you were just sitting around with your friends and one of them belched would you have a fit and leave?

If someone were to burp in my ear constantly while I was sitting around with "friends", I would obviously leave.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bananasinpajamas posted:

You are all forgetting that Carolla isn't a right-wing nut at all, because he thinks pot should be legal. :eng101:

He said on one podcast a long time ago that he was talking to some conservative politician or pundit or something, and that he made some points that made sense.

The specific point was something along the lines of "Should you vote on how you want things to be or how they are?", and I guess that argument won him over in terms of pot legalization. He then went on to talk about how he doesn't want a bunch of pot heads running around and that it makes sense to vote against legalizing it. I wish I could remember the podcast he said that on.

He's also said things like "I don't use the roads more than anyone else, why should I pay more?"

Anyway I don't want to get too much into his politics because he clearly has no idea what he's talking about. I mostly stopped listening because he hasn't had on any guests I like and the type of show he's doing has gone from being a comedy show to a rant about things I don't like show. Which I guess was a fine line he was walking before but at least he would have people come on that were funny and he would re-enact events and make up movies and poo poo like that.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Kumail was hilarious, I was very tired while listening to it but I'm pretty sure this is going to be the new podcast I look forward to every week. I liked the steve agee one too.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

cioxx posted:

Paul F. Tompkins is a piece of poo poo for ruining Brett Gelman's manpig story with his unfunny riffs. I have no idea why Aukerman allows this. That whole thing didn't sound like a setup.

Dumb episode.

It was Nick Kroll who kept interrupting, I too wish we were able to hear the full manpig story.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Sneeing Emu posted:

That's the loving bit guy. Have you not heard the other Brett Gelman episodes?

Maybe he's continuing the joke?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

That Dan guy seems unreal, he's literally emailing someone he does not know to tell them that they should be envious of his life? Bragging about making a ton of money and how his life is better than even your dreams?

What? Must be some sort of joke... nobody could be that insecure about themselves.

If you go to his site there's a "promo" video that shows a ton of introductions and just as soon as you see him get on stage the video ends, where are the examples of his comedy?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wyld Cannon posted:

All three games on CDR are great - Would You Rather, What Am I Thinking, Jukebox Jury - What Am I Thinking is a really easy but fun game so you can get anyone to play.

Judge Jimmy is always pretty good.

I hate it when they pick the same Would You Rather, they've done it at least a couple times. The guests always seem to ask the same questions and go down the same path, the best ones are when they have just characters playing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bananasinpajamas posted:

Doug Benson's Wikipedia says he's 46 years old. That alone is surprising, but I'm listening to him on season 3 of Never Not Funny from 2008 and he says he's 46 on that podcast. How the hell old is Doug Benson?

He's pretty old, he's about Marc Maron's age. I thought he was a lot younger but I guess pot keeps you young.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm going a trip soon and it may or not be extremely boring, so I want to have a backlog of funny podcasts to listen to if worse comes to worse. Can you guys please recommend me some? I need to narrow it down from the hundreds of suggestions in here. I need something with a humour that doesn't rely 90% on pop culture references, since I'm not from the US (and all those 'really funny' shows that are just hours of random name-dropping are extremely boring), and is at least minimally informative.

I think many people would agree with my top 5, these are the podcasts I look forward to every week/month. There are plenty of other ones like WTF and Sklarbro Country that I'll listen to often but I look forward to these whenever they release.

Comedy Death Ray Radio
Smodcast
Doug Loves Movies
The Pod F. Tompkast
Comedy and Everything Else

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I am struggling to get through Old Dogs. It's taken me an hour and 15 minutes to watch half an hour of movie.

E: I hate this movie.

It is so bad, it's not even funny bad... you don't have to watch the movie to enjoy the podcast though

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

SpeedoJoe posted:

Just heard the Gallagher episode. He's a pretty terrible comedian. Maron handled it very well and still managed to be witty.

The best line was "Marc: Who wants to work state fairs? Gallagher: Everyone"

King Lou posted:

I just listened to the Gallagher thing. I kind of felt bad for Gallagher and appreciated that Maron could actually step back and recognize that he was perhaps played a part in Gallagher getting so bent out of shape. That being said Gallagher came off pretty crazy. I had no idea he was a chemist (is thats true). He's insanely bitter but whatever, his career has spanned 3 decades on a single premise. It was an entertaining listen.

Everything he said about science was wrong.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Jet Jaguar posted:

Gallagher's a bit like Piers Anthony--pretty awesome when you were 10, just don't revisit ever again. All I know is going forward, everything is going to get judged on whether it is or is not state-fair-funny.

I don't think I ever liked Gallagher (not that I had taste, I was a hulkamaniac) but now I feel very strongly that he's a horrible person.

I love that he really does believe that he is giving some kind of social commentary with the sledge-o-matic.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Bobby Malone posted:

Out of all the crazyness in the Gallagher interview, my favorite line was how he told a gay joke he heard on the street, and after the show a gay guy came up to him and gave him a better joke to use.

I love how he kept saying "I didn't even write the joke!" as some kind of mantra that somehow excuses him from saying it...

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Wyld Cannon posted:

Speaking of Howard's rapping, does anyone know if the lyrics to "Music Chart" are mostly gibberish? I can't really hear words after "It's the music chart".

Also I don't really know the words to "Movie Chart" but I'm pretty sure he says something about Kulap at the end.

I'm pretty sure it's just gibberish and at the end he says kulap.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

Doug Loves Movies is probably the most stand-upy show out there. Its recorded in front of a live audience and that atmosphere really influences the overall feel of the show for the better. Doug Benson has a staggering array of comedy friends and will almost always have one or two comics on each episode.

Comedy Death Ray is maybe the best show for showcasing raw comic talent. It's not stand-up, its more like improv theater. It mixes guests with characters and eerily accurate impersonations, and not just easy stuff like Christopher Walken and Bill Shatner. I'm talking about John C. Reilly, Ice-T, Huel Hauser and most recently Alan Rickman. Its kinda goofy a lot of the time but once you get into the show's rhythm and style it can blow you away.

The best CDR is the episode with Bill Cosby Bukowski, his jelloem "who's the most fuckable huxtable" is the best. Everyone I've played it for loves it and quotes it all the time.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

benito posted:

I'm not deep into the podcast, but for example the recent Paul Reubens show was mostly interview. For some of the early ones, there's the sort of "real" conversation (perhaps not a proper interview) before the guest goes into his or her routine or characters. It's like on late night shows where a comedian has a normal conversation with the host versus just slipping into part of the standup routine while sitting on the couch. I like the former, not the latter.

Out of an hour show, I like about 30 minutes. That's not bad, but it does mean that I'm more likely to listen to it while I'm by the computer where it's easier to skip ahead. Would You Rather? just seems to drag on and doesn't do anything for me. Kevin Pollak's "Tweet Five" seems to work better, and whether you like it or not, at least it's brief.

Maybe CDR isn't your type of podcast, the Paul Rubens show was unlike the regular show at all.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

t3ch3 posted:

The absence of Who Charted? from that list is shameful. I don't think there's a single episode where I haven't coughed from laughing so hard yet and this week's is certainly no exception. I'm only 20 minutes into it but Thomas Lennon deconstructing rap lyrics and hoping for a fascist regime so we get some good party jams already has me doubled over.

I've got to say that Who Charted is probably my favorite podcast right now, I always laugh out loud. I think Howard is just gifted at asking stupid questions, and Kulap gives the show a great energy. Also I think the atmosphere of the show makes guests just... be their best I think.

My favorite part this week was when Thomas Lennon kept wanting to decapitate Kulap.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

-Atom- posted:

TJ Miller killed it on Doug Loves Movies this week.

Think I may have to buy that two dollar live podcast or whatever he's hocking.

I had tickets to go see the show they were talking about but I was too sick to go, I'm really hating myself for being sick now.

Evil Agita posted:

Doug's gig plugs at the front of his podcast are getting longer and more annoying.

What?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Satire Forum Mom posted:

It's lovely your friend quit comedy, King Lou, but it is pretty lovely to do a show that piggy backs off the popularity of another show while simultaneously trashing it.

Not to pick sides but from what I read of Bessers post he was just calling people out for being petty themselves. Basically re-hashing SNL skits and calling the original poo poo is a pretty stupid idea. Also the party for people who weren't asked to join the UCB group, UCB members not allowed because "will be making fun of you and shoo you out."

It sounds like Matt was just calling people out for being lovely.

I like his characters, this weeks CDRR was great.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

King Lou posted:

I'm not privy to the full email exchange between the two. But apparently he sent her all the Nerdimal images and went on to explain how she was ripping him off.

I don't hate him. I just thought it was an interesting comedy world story. Oh, she was also annoyed I shared it in a public forum. I thought it was more public than it was. OOPS!

So are you implying that he shouldn't have confronted someone that he thinks may have copied something that he made/had made? (it's not just a bit, he has actual "nerdimals" art)

I'm sure she didn't copy him and he may have overreacted but everyone knows that people copy each other all the time, especially online.

I recently started listening to Nerdist again, not sure if I'll keep it up because I agree with most of the criticisms on here about him (Trying too hard to be nerdy etc.) There has been some pretty cool interviews though, I enjoyed the latest one with Andy Samberg

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NecronSchmecron posted:

I honestly don't understand the criticism of "trying too hard to be nerdy." There are spectrums of nerdiness, I guess, but he seems genuine to me.

He certainly seems to be one of the more tech savvy nerds. Just because he doesn't watch star trek or star wars all the time doesn't mean he isn't what he is claiming to be.

Also, IMO, hipsters nowadays seem to be nerds that are popular and therefore can be cocky assholes. I definitely don't see Hardwick as an rear end in a top hat. :v:

I don't think he's an rear end in a top hat or anything. I'm not saying he's too cool to be a nerd, I just think he relies on mentioning something "nerdy" to get laughs. For instance he'll just randomly reference doctor who in the middle of a conversation for seemingly no reason other than "aren't I sooo nerdy?"

He seems cool I just personally don't need someone to re-affirm how nerdy they are all the time. In general I have no problem with his brand of humor, I just find some of the forced "jokes" kind of annoying.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

The_Rob posted:

Or maybe he just really likes Doctor Who. Why does he have to try and impress you. Maybe he just enjoys bringing it up, and talking about it.

And do we really need to question someones "nerd cred". Dude is a stand up comedian, who's dad is a pro bowler and he grew up with Josh Whedon. He has a podcast, that is now at a comic book store. I think the dude is pretty drat nerdy.

Sorry if I sounded like I was questioning his "nerd cred", in fact I mean exactly the opposite. I feel like he is a nerd and a lot of his reference jokes aren't really jokes as much as they're just ways for him to get free laughs/cheers.

I listen to his podcast so obviously I like the guy, and I'm pretty sure I've laughed at plenty of the random reference jokes but the amount of times where it doesn't work for me is pretty high. (even though I am a fan of doctor who etc.)

Also he grew up with Wil Wheaton

edit: I feel like maybe if it were a live show I wouldn't notice it and would more than likely enjoy it. But on a podcast that I listen to twice a week it gets old, like one would get tired of someone who keeps repeating memes/catch phrases.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I just got my hot saucerman hot sauce, I should have bought two of them because I really want to try it.

• Locked thread