Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

bananasinpajamas posted:

Any specific episodes to recommend?

In fact, I think that should be a good idea for any podcast someone posts.

Uhh Yeah Dude is the best podcast on the internet. No guests, no boring bullshit about working in comedy, hardly any "segments", just an hour of two hilarious dudes having a seamless conversation about the crazy poo poo Seth has found on the internet interspersed with stories from their pasts.

I'd recommend 76-95 or so (coincidentally this is the block I've just finished) because it's the period of time where Seth discovers the casual encounters section of Craigslist, and it's the most consistently funny thing I've ever heard. I just started listening from the beginning from the first time, and the only really bad episode I've heard is the first one (and possibly the second, Jonathan seems nervous to me for the first couple). That block also includes the episode where Jonathan decides to give out his cell number (323-481-4422, I have it memorized and I've never even called it) freely. I'm pretty sure it was 83 or 84.

Jordan, Jesse GO! is pretty hit or miss to me. It's consistently pretty funny, but something about Jesse rubs me the wrong way. He also has a way of meandering way too slowly to the punchline of his stories at least once an episode. As a sidenote, the episode of this with the UYD guys was terrible.

Stop Podcasting Yourself is pretty much just a better JJGO. Same type of humor, just with less obnoxious hosts. Also the guests are Canadian comedians you've never heard of, but that's ok because at least that means I haven't heard them on every other comedy podcast.

Doug Loves Movies is incredible. I think people have said enough about it already though.

WTF with Marc Maron isn't very funny most of the time but Marc does great interviews.

SModcast is gratingly vulgar, but still funny enough to listen to once in a while.

But seriously, listen to UYD.

quote:

Did anybody hear the recent WTF when Maron interviewed Patrice O'Neal? poo poo got pretty heavy in that one, O'Neal talked about his youth and his statutory rape charge and his time in prison, and how hosed up he is because he never had a father. Also he rags on women a lot, while Maron nervously chuckles along. It was one of the more entertaining WTF's I ever heard. http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/ (episode 95)
I listened to this. The whole thing made me pretty uncomfortable, partly because I doubt there's such thing as running a consentual train.

take three tablets fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 6, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
To me both of those things are just signs of lazy podcasting. Comedians talking about the only thing they know, and dragging on their friends so they don't have to come up with anything to talk about. I think I would be less jaded about guests if they weren't the same people near constantly. Chris Hardwick seems to do a great job getting guests no one else does on Nerdist, but on the other hand, he's probably the worst offender when it comes to rambling on about standup.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Oy, should I give Uhh Yeah Dude another shot? I only hear amazing things about it, but whenever I listen to it once in a while I am just left cold, maybe I chuckled a couple times. But these episodes were recent, in the 100's? You guys say start in the 70's? That's when they were ON FIRE?
I think UYD is a show you have to give a couple episodes. The humor is less in "jokes" and more in tone and being somewhat familiar with the guys on the show. I guess it's pretty inside-jokey, but no podcast has been more rewarding for me. No other show makes it harder for me to keep from laughing at work.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Also, I really can't get over how consistently funny MBMBAM is. The guys have fantastic chemistry, are all hilarious, and know how to just layer a joke more and more, and just keep it going. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS laugh until I cry listening to it.
This is one I'm going to have to give more time. I listened to the first 10 minutes or so of the latest episode and just gave up, I think mostly because it's a skype podcast and you can hear it. Nothing turns me off of a podcast faster.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

RE: Marc Maron's interview with Patrice O'Neal - Yeah, it was totally awkward and uncomfortable, but I think those are Marc's best. Messed up, flawed people are always interesting - And Marc (being a messed up, flawed person himself) plays fantastically off them. I didn't agree with Patrice (obviously), but I was utterly fascinated with his world view.
I didn't even necessarily disagree with a lot of what he said. The rape story gave me a nagging feeling that he was telling a version that puts him in a much more positive light than reality (obviously). It was a fantastic interview though.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I can't really get into UYD. I listened to the first 40 eps, and there were a few really good moments, but something about their schtick I can't put my finger on that I don't care for.
Love CDR though. Best characters are Huell Howser, Jesse Ventura, anything PFT, as well as, in addition to, therefore, Bobby Bottleservice. If only there was a female version of him I could go on an adequate date with. Chupacabra is great too.
EL GATO!!!

How can you listen to 40 hours of a show you don't like? What is wrong with you.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Song For The Deaf posted:

I'm going to plug another one of my podcasting projects, since it seems to be in line with the thread:

Those drat Ross Kids

It's a show that I do with my brother, in a very similar vein to You Look Nice Today with a little Uhh Yeah Dude mixed in. We're keeping the episodes short right now, but they've been getting a good response. I submit it for your approval, and welcome any feedback.

iTunes link.
This post is a little old but I just got through listening to a couple episodes of this, and you guys aren't bad. The only problem is that the music you use for transitions is what I would call ear rape, at the absolute best. Holy poo poo it's obnoxious.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Re: The Podcast Eating Contest
It's a bummer for you guys who can't get past the belching. It's just "a thing". It's funny and endearing. Like I said, I think it's funny that people seem to get so worked up over it. If you were just sitting around with your friends and one of them belched would you have a fit and leave?

From what I hear their Christmas Extravaganza is going to be wild!

No, actually it's loving disgusting. I still listen, but it isn't something I would ever recommend to anyone because of the belching.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
If you're going to start from the beginning, keep in mind that the first 5 or so episodes of UYD are really rough and not indicative of the quality of the rest of the show. It might be a better idea to just skip the first few.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

shotgunbadger posted:

Yea I've tuned into AotS sometimes when an interesting story is teased, and he seems like a pretty neat dude.

So about Rogan's podcast, I'm a UFC fan who likes humor and all, should I be subscribed to his stuff, or is he still basically 'crazy Joe tells you the moon landing was faked, once in a while he has a guest that can keep him in check'?

It's mostly Joe, Brian Redban (who I guess does internet related things for Joe, I have no idea really), and some random person, usually a comedian or someone related to UFC somehow. It really lives and dies based on how interesting the guest is. If you think listening to 3 (hopefully) funny people sitting in a room together stoned talking about whatever pops into their head entertaining, then you'll probably like it. I don't give a gently caress about UFC but I still find most of the episodes entertaining (especially any episode with Joey Diaz). You do have to have a tolerance for conspiracy theories and stories about drug trips, and occasionally one of them will say something to let you know that they are actually pretty ignorant (one that stuck out to me was someone asking if chinese food was better in New York because it's closer to China and no one called them on it), but overall it's a good time.

EDIT: I mention the ignorance thing because Joe Rogan has a gift for sounding like he knows what he's talking about, and maybe he does about some things, but generally that falls apart if you have any knowledge about the subject being discussed. So don't take anything said as true.

take three tablets fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 12, 2011

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

NotWearingPants posted:

How are you able to get over his general stupidity? Is it something you don't really notice, or perhaps you find it to be charming, or is it something that you just ignore?

I've tried a few times, but I've never been able to get over that and enjoy his show. If it was a bit or a character he was playing then I would understand, but I've always come away with the impression that he is just a dumb person.

He's definitely not stupid, he's just ignorant about most things outside of his interests (like most people), and spends 2-4 hours in front of a microphone rambling while stoned every week. If you think he's literally stupid, you haven't spent enough time on the internet.

He also generally admits that he's wrong when corrected which is more than can be said about the vast majority of people and seems overall like an ok guy, so I don't have any issues with being entertained with his podcast, even though he occasionally drops in some dumb poo poo.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

WoG posted:

Wasn't it recently demonstrated in this thread that Rogan, after doing extensive research, came to the conclusion that the moon landing was fake? If you don't want to call that stupidity, fine, but it's an irrationality indistinguishable therefrom, and you're just splitting hairs.

Plenty of otherwise intelligence people latch onto an idea and decide to believe it, regardless of the amount of evidence stacked against them (insert joke about religion here). If anything it just means that he's read bad information and no one has been able to convince him otherwise. Not saying that I believe the moon landing is fake, but once you've gained a healthy distrust of government, it's not that great of a stretch to think it's possible that it could have been faked for reasons of propaganda or whatever.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I'd never heard a Duncan Trussel episode before today. Probably a tie with Joey Diaz for best Rogan guest. He manages to steer the conversation way out into left field, and it is amazing.

Also worth noting, the newest episode of Jim and Eddie Talk poo poo is something truly incredible.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Cromulent posted:

Yeah, I know it's a minor complaint (an even more minor complaint is that fast-forwarding always causes me to skip too far ahead). I wouldn't even complain if it were 1 minute of front-loading, or if it was 5 minutes of ads after 10 minutes of content. I just can't get over 5.5 minutes right out of the gate. I feel like there must be a better way. Oh well, enough complaining out of me about that.

Also, when it comes to Joe Rogan/Duncan Trussell out-there conversations, I generally don't take much of it seriously and I just find it entertaining. At one point on the latest one, though, Duncan actually said a pretty out-there idea that made me stop and go "whoa, what the gently caress, what if that's the case?" I can't remember what it was, and I'm at work now so I can't listen, but I'll edit this with it later. That's the reason I like Joe's podcast so much, even if 90% of stuff like that is silly, it's usually entertaining and sometimes there's a thought that makes me completely rethink something.
A lot of the stuff Duncan talked about is actually true, so it's not just stoner rambling. There are good effort posts on this forum for things like prison privatization. I'd have to listen again to remember more (I'm not going to do this), but he brought up a few different things I'd read on SA and it almost made me wonder if the dude is a goon.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Clovis Sangrail posted:

In case anybody feels the need to dislike Jesse Thorn even more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWqMzLxMj1c

He actually sounds like a Nick Kroll character at various points.

I only made it about a minute. He is the most awkward looking dude on the planet. I guess I should mention I listen to JJGo sometimes and even find Jesse funny on occasion.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

NecronSchmecron posted:

Comedy Podcast Megathread - Jesse Thorn is a Twat, Joe Rogan's three hour podcast is amazing and UYD is the Greatest Podcast in the History of Mankind

I may be of the same opinion of Jesse Thorn's threads as most people, but that's what he likes and I say go with it. I think my limit is the pink pants he wore on an episode of NNF, but then again I think most people who wear pink need to think twice about it.

A lot of people here have said "Don't listen to that one anymore, listen to this one." They're all, for the most part, free. Why not listen to both? An example is HDTGM. I listened to both The Flophouse and We Hate Movies and though both are pretty good, they're no better or worse than HDTGM. Everything has it's ups and downs. Yes I wish Paul Sheer would put more effort into the viewer mail or even MAYBE ditch it for another bit, but overall the conversations about the films leave me entertained/amused.
I agree with this thread title unironically.

Other things that are done unironically: Jesse Thorn wearing a bowtie.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
Am I the only one who feels that MBMBAM straight up rips off UYD at times? The dentistry section in the newest episode really sticks out to me. It sounds like 3 Seths talking at once, they even do a fake craigslist ad that sounds just like the old UYD bit. Not necessarily a bad thing, they're still hilarious, but I can't stop hearing it.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Transfatuation posted:

I just started listening to MBMBAM a week or two ago and figured it'd already been discussed so I didn't ask, but in an older episode Griffin drops "boning down" (and in general does a lot of Seth-type "Hey ___, are you okay" rants at Yahoo people) and it made me feel a little uncomfortable :I

This is exactly what I was trying to say. The show is funny on its own and I don't mind them having similar slang, but occasionally it descends into what could be seen as joke thieving and I find it really uncomfortable to listen to.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
The best thing about Judge John Hodgman is the parade of hipsters that bring all the cases and the disdain Hodgman directs towards all of them. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that that's who the JJGo fanbase is.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Ograbme posted:

Jordan and Jesse did their usual thing, but Seth is not a usual person.

This, pretty much. I think it's pretty obvious that Seth's personality just won't work outside of UYD.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

CortezFantastic posted:

Anything with Bryan Callen, Duncan Trussell, Joey Diaz, and Bert Krischner. I don't mind Eddie Bravo because I enjoy MMA. I also can not wait for the Anthony Bourdain episode.

Second Bryan Callen and Duncan Trussell, but I'd like to add the caveat that you probably need to be a stoner to enjoy those two and Duncan in particular.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Combo posted:

The Dave Foley one too though that was a bit depressing. And I don't think you need to be a stoner to enjoy the episodes with Duncan or Bryan Callen...I'm not, and Callen is my favorite guest by far.
That's fair enough, I don't necessarily think you definitely need to be, but you do need to find stoner talk entertaining and/or interesting.

SansWetware posted:

Holy poo poo Seth Morris doing Bob Ducca on WTF made me turn purple. Type Wilford Brimley Diabetes.
Everyone should listen to this, it's incredible. This is a character he does on CBB, right? (I don't listen to CBB, I never find it funny)

quote:

eddie poo poo
He's definitely terrible on the podcast. I can at least appreciate that everyone in the room just goes silent and lets his unfunny comments hang in the air. He used to really bother me but now I get some degree of schadenfreude out of it, and all is well. I just think of him as Jim's Brian Redban.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

NotWearingPants posted:

I disagree. I do not think it's endearing to listen to a 40+ year old man going through the type of intellectual awakening most people go through in their teens.

I also disagree strongly with your inference that that his attention to athletics earlier in his life is to blame for his delayed mental development. Academics and athletics are not mutually exclusive.

This is the last post I'm ever going to make about Joe Rogan. He is one of the most controversial people in this thread and I'm sure others get tired of the disagreements. In my opinion, Joe Rogan is an imbecile. I don't like wasting my time listening to imbeciles. I would rather that the SA forums was a place where people who do enjoy Joe Rogan were as ostracized as furries, but unfortunately that is not the case.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that he's an imbecile or that most people learned things that he's just discovering in their teens. I think the fact that considers differing opinions and tries to learn things puts him way ahead of most of the pack. You certainly have a high opinion of humanity.

Or alternatively, what is your pet issue that he disagrees with you about?

All that being said, Neal Brennan is terrible.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Peter North posted:

What if we're just on another plane of existence

What if they're all around us right now but we just cant feel them

What if Alex Jones is the only guy telling the truth

What if God is Ayahuasca from Planet X Nibiru

What if I'm gay

That's just a Duncan Trussel episode. Also I fail to see the problem.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

-Atom- posted:

Bert Kreischer and Ricky Gervais need to have a laugh off.

Not quite done with it yet but Bert really is the best guest.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

Dip Facial posted:

I laughed my rear end off at Redban in the latest podcast and I normally can't stand his mush-mouthed nonsense.

I couldn't stand Joe or the Pinchin(?) dude's nonsense, and having someone interject with even stupider poo poo while Joe got mad and the guest got uncomfortable cracked me the gently caress up.

I don't dislike Redban as much as most people here apparently, but that was like a perfect storm of stupidity that I found hilarious.

edit: Just to say I normally love the podcast, but that one was awesome in a terrible way.

It seemed to me that Joe wasn't quite following that guy all the way down the rabbit hole, but didn't want to be a jerk. I wonder if at any point he realized that this guy was exactly the type of hippie he was describing earlier in the episode. Also this was probably the only episode where I was relieved when Redban jumped in with something dumb. That Pinchbeck guy is absolutely terrible.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
At least Hitler doesn't poo poo up an awesome podcast.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

Kevin is the worst thing about his own shows.

That would be fine except he never shuts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

soggybagel posted:

Just hearing Chris Rock talk a little bit and reflect on his career. Very fascinating stuff that he touched on briefly about how he doesn't think the people he worked with on SNL are racist or anything insidious. Just they didn't have a common background/short hand/cultural understanding and this ended up with him rejecting a lot of sketches where he was playing some african tribesman or something like that. I'm not articulating it as well as he. It's worth a listen just because of how accomplished rock has been.

I felt like Marc was trying a little too hard to force the conversation towards race with every question. Other than that, it was a pretty good interview.

• Locked thread