Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Still waiting for the post-Jets-Patriots Bill Burr Monday Morning Podcast.... C'mon Bill you big pussy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HipGnosis posted:

Okay, which one of you :spergin: wrote the "the podcast isn't funny 90% of the time" letter on the Live WTF?

Wow, somebody thought it was funny 10% of the time? That's being pretty generous.

King Lou posted:

New CDR earwolf show coming out just announced at SXSW

Subscribed. Thanks!

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 14, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm glad to see the Dave Foley on the latest Doug Loves Movies. He was on a few episodes ago but never got to say more than a few words because Jeff Garland never stopped talking.

Hopefully they are able to fix the sound.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm looking forward to Bill Burr on the latest Greg Fitzsimmons podcast. Two pale balding micks for the price of one.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

SlaveToTheGrinds posted:

I am totally into the Rogan Podcast, I love how long they are and some of his guests are great. Love MMA quite a bit so it was neat to hear Bas Ruten and a few others.

How are you able to get over his general stupidity? Is it something you don't really notice, or perhaps you find it to be charming, or is it something that you just ignore?

I've tried a few times, but I've never been able to get over that and enjoy his show. If it was a bit or a character he was playing then I would understand, but I've always come away with the impression that he is just a dumb person.

SpacePig posted:

Is there anything out there that's like the Bill Burr podcast, where it's just one comedian rambling on about whatever? I can't seem to get into anything like UYD or CDR, but I'm in love with the Monday Morning Podcast.

I'm also a fan of Bill Burr's podcast and I've wondered if it was his solo style that that made it so appealing, but then he had a show with guests last week and I thought it was hilarious, maybe even better than his normal format.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 2, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I think a good podcast would be Marc Maron and Joe Rogan together. The first half could be Maron with a textbook trying to teach Rogan basic grade school subjects. The second half would be Joe Rogan berating Maron in an attempt to get him to stop being such a huge pussy.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

substitute posted:

I liked Talking Funny quite a bit even though they all talked over each other -- especially over Rock, who seemed to never get to finish his points.

This is what bothered me the most. They, particularly Gervais, treated Chris Rock like some kind of scrub. They wouldn't let him talk. I like Louis CK a lot, but in this group isn't Rock arguably the biggest draw?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 8, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Can someone explain Tig Notaro to me or maybe point me to something where she's actually funny?

Is it supposed to be an anti-comedy thing where it's funny because she's never funny?

In her latest CDR appearance she not only did her normal monotone thing, but the only time you really seem to get anything out of her is when she's trying to step on someone else's bits. I don't care if chupacabra mispronounced a word Ms. Notaro, stop getting in the way of my laughs!

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 11, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I did a thread search and didn't see it mentioned here so...

I just listened to the Greg Fitzsimmons podcast from around a week ago and Holy poo poo. He's got Jim Norton as a guest and he tells stories detailing his addiction to sex and prostitutes.

Highlights include him getting blowjobs with a buddy from a pregnant crack whore in his recently deceased grandmother's bedroom

The Norton interview starts around 30 minutes in: http://www.gregfitzsimmons.com/2011/05/06/new-york-jim-norton/

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

FuriousGeorge posted:

Dear God, I can't imagine that Carolla + Breitbart could be anything less than the most insufferable black hole of White Guy Persecution Complex imaginable. :suicide:

From the description of his next podcast:

quote:

Adam starts the show addressing some serious rich white guy problems. He talks about his publicists sending him across town for a radio gig, only to find it was a complete waste of time. Later he had to drive back across town to record a podcast, and at the end of the day he let off all his steam on his assistant Jay.

goddamn publicists and assistants! :argh:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ElCondemn posted:

You clearly don't know the difference between a good and bad character because I couldn't stop laughing.

I'm a little late (as usual) but that's exactly the kind of show I hope to get when I download CBB. I laughed my rear end off several times.

It would have been better if Chupacabra dropped in too, but you could say that about any CBB, or any podcast for that matter. Chupacabra should probably get his own podcast. Or maybe they could just release a best of CDR featuring all Chupacabra segments.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 18, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

shotgunbadger posted:

What does Kroll do anyway? I know he's a comic and he has The League but aside from guest appearances and all I don't ever see him, he should definitely get himself a character podcast.

He had a brief appearance on Parks and Recreation recently. He played a morning zoo type radio jock named The Douche and was Rashida Jones' date at a club.

I always thought Cupacabra was played by Matt Besser until recently. They don't really announce who the characters are so sometimes it's hard to tell.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nadine Hauklund posted:

The new Walking With Michelle with guest Maria Bamford is now available on iTunes!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/walking-with-michelle/id266398656

Georgia Aquarium, Flip Burger, and more. If you like it, subscribe and comment. The next episode with guest Steve Agee is being edited right now!

Nadine Hauklund posted:

I'm goading the poo poo out of her for a monthly show. Strike while the iron is hot and all. It's not the recording of it that takes so long, it's the production. The Maria ep was something like 4+ hours of good tape and it was murder cutting it down to 1.25.

I listened to this on your suggestion. I don't know Michelle Biloon but I like Maria Bamford so I didn't need much prodding to check it out.

I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure about the format. On one hand, it was new and different and I appreciate that. But much of the content seemed like background noise and I found I was easy distracted and often wasn't giving it the full half-attention I usually give to a podcast while I'm working.

Even before you mentioned it, I was thinking about the amount of editing it must have taken to get it to a point where it could be published. I don't know if the end result justifies the amount of work that must have been put into it, unless of course she has interns or Kevin Smith doing it for free.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It's odd you guys are talking about Bill Burr's podcast on the day it usually comes out but the new one isn't out yet. Or did he change his URL or something? I'm not seeing it. http://www.billburr.com/podcast/

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It would never even occur to me to send a host cunty emails or tweets because they didn't release a free podcast on schedule, unless of course someone told me not to.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I had expressed my dislike of Maron and his podcast in the past, but he gets really good guests so I keep going back. I've gotten used to him now and he doesn't annoy me nearly as much as he did when I first listened to him.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ALFbrot posted:

I'm getting 500 errors as well. When I manage to get on the site, half of the images won't load so it's really difficult to tell what shows I am clicking on. When I manage to find one I want, the MP3s I want to download give me errors on SoundCloud, saying that the track doesn't exist or is private.

Not so great so far, guys!

I follow podcasts via RSS and whenever they made the switch they spat out a bunch of old shows so it looks like I've got 50ish new Comedy Bang Bang and Sklarbro Country shows. It kind of sucks because they don't seem to be in order and they're all dated 17 hours ago. Of course on the other hand they're free so I'm not very upset about it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

F.F. Woodycooks posted:

Tom Scharpling tweeted that Marc Maron will be in studio for tonight's Best Show. Should be interesting considering a lot of people think Maron and Scharpling have some sort of beef

I think at this point in the thread we've all come to accept that Maron thinks he has a beef with everyone he's ever met and the other person is usually completely unaware of it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

caveman thug poo poo posted:

e: oh hey wait I do actually have something to say! I heard Nick Swardson mention his Comedy Central show on some old podcast I don't remember when, I think it was an old ep of CDR -- anywho it finally popped up in my Netflix recommended thing-thing and it's pretty loving funny. It's called "Nick Swardson's Pretend Time" and there's only like 7 episodes on Netflix so whatever, but the Gary Gaga sketch was great, and "Yo, yall come wit' me and I'm finna show yall how to turn yo dog -- into weed"

Thanks, I put this into my queue and...

More like Nick Swardson's Pretend Time:
The Secret Life of the American Teenager
Jersey Shore
Medium
Flashpoint
Stargate SG-1

Thanks Netflix! You know your content so well. Or maybe you just know me!

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

King Lou posted:

Another example of Tig Nataro sucking the funny out. I stopped listening to that episode. Too loving dry. Same reason I don't listen to Prof Blastoff. None of those people can hold my interest at all.

You guys just don't get it. The fact that's she's painfully unfunny is why she's funny! It's alternative! (or something).

I saw her name on the latest DLM and I figured I'd wait to see the posts here before I listened to it. Thanks for saving me the time which will be better spent catching up on the Pod F Thompcast.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

shotgunbadger posted:

I think the problem was she was surrounded by people the opposite of her

comedians?

:downsrim:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The_Rob posted:

Do people really not like Tig this much? I have found her funny every time I have heard her. Good One Robot is also the best.

Maybe some people just find awkward silences funnier than other people do. The painfully unfunny becomes funny because it's uncomfortable. For example, I recently watched that Zack Galfinakis special but had to turn it off because it seemed like one endless awkward bit where the only punchline was making some old dude in the front row feel uncomfortable. I find the uncomfortable to be uncomfortable rather than humorous when it's not particularly thought provoking. Perhaps someone that enjoys that kind of humor can do a better job of analyzing than I can.

I love Norm McDonald's humor and I don't equate the styles.

Civil posted:

If good one robot is the best she has to offer, that's a pretty weak repertoire. It's better than disassembling other comedian's jokes to the point that she sucks the funny out of them, but that's not saying a whole lot.

I don't even think it's hers. Didn't Hot Saucerman coin that one during an old CDR in response to her saying "good one" in her normal tone?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 15, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

j8910 posted:

The latest DLM tourament of champions is the best show he's done in the last, oh, year or so. It's well worth the 1.99 if you've been souring on the show lately like me.

People pay for these? Is that to get them through iTunes or to get them earlier? Or is the episode you're talking about special?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Binowru posted:

Whenever Doug records on the road or somewhere other than the Upright Citizens Brigade theater, it goes into the iTunes album section for sale. I think Doug has said before he'd like to offer them for free (or for 99 cents) but iTunes wouldn't let him.

Oh, thanks, I had no idea there were episodes that didn't appear on the RSS feed.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HaterBaby posted:

This is sort of unrelated but I learned today that Brian Posehn is appearing at the Gathering of the Juggalos, which only confirms my suspicion that he's a dumb unfunny pandering nerd who exemplifies the bottom of the barrel of alternative comedy. I always dislike him whenever he appears on Comedy Bang Bang or other podcasts.

Yeah, he's just not very funny, but his oddball looks will probably keep getting him lots of jobs as a character actor.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

SKULE123 posted:

There's a lot of podcast notables there this week, very excited to see some shows. Tosh, Hardwick, the Tribute To Nerds, Ari Shaffir, Paul F. Tompkins, the alternative comedy show, and Marc Maron are all on my itinerary - sad to miss Bamford, Louis CK, Eugene Mirman, Weird Al, Garfunkel and Oates, and Reggie Watts.

Bill Burr is there too, screening his short film "Cheat" that he made with Joe DeRosa and Bobby Kelly.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I would like to verify the veraciousness of the The Mike and Tom Eat Snacks recommendations.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

frankenbeans posted:

I'm up to date on Nerdist, CDR/CBB, almost DLM, and starting to work through Proops. Still got MBMBAM, UYD, Superego and Bill Burr to go. Along with selected others.

So far, I've liked them all.

Thank you thread.

It's a listeners market for podcasts these days.

I've listened to consecutive multiple episodes of single shows like you're doing too. But I recommend with the Bill Burr podcast you don't do it that way. He rarely ever has guests and it's just him talking. I think you should use his show to occasionally break up the monotony of the others that you're listening to straight through.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

The_Rob posted:

Why would I be joking about the Good One Robot?

The good one robot is getting its own podcast on Earwolf.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Mogambo posted:

Shut up! I liked Womp It Up (Womp Up the Jam) I just feel like CBB has been pretty bad recently. For me, sometimes it's good, but the boring/unfunny episodes as of late are outnumbering the occasional gem. Maybe I'm just getting tired of it, especially when I don't know/care who the guest is.

I agree. It just hasn't been very good lately. This is good news because it means you aren't getting tired of it and it might get good again.

A PRIZED MULE! posted:

Saw it on Twitter. Oh God, amazing! Would fully pay money for that.

Same here. I would buy a poster size version of that Pod F. Thomcast poster.

j8910 posted:

But what makes up for it is that I finally got around to checking out "Mohr Stories" it's really engaging and funny. I heard good things about it, but didn't pick it up for ages because I was like, "Eh, Jay Mohr... " but the first three episodes are golden. Between that and working through the backlog of "Mike and Tom" it makes up for the slump in CBB. PFT will bring it back, though.

EDIT: The Smodcast ads in front are embarassing, terrible and very good at convincing me to never check out another podcast on the network.

Mohr is interesting to me because he seems off or damaged but I can't put my finger on exactly why. My best guess is that he's a narcissist who once was very popular but now has come back down to Earth. Also, he seems like a genuinely funny guy, but he relies way too heavily on impressions which seem to me like a crutch for unfunny comics. His impressions are great, but how many times can you hear him doing Tracy Morgan saying "I'm gonna get everyone here pregnant" before it's not funny anymore? Also, there are moments where he can seem as stupid as Joe Rogan, but he doesn't seem to be as constantly stupid as Joe Rogan. I guess maybe that's from starting in comedy clubs as a teen and forgoing any higher education.

I've heard him mention his "beautiful wife" several times already... does he ever touch on the subject of her horrible plastic surgery?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Aug 17, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

j8910 posted:

An infinite amount of times. Him doing Tracy Morgan is loving funny every time.

I think Tracey Morgan doing Tracey Morgan is funnier. When he imitates someone like Seinfeld it's parody, but how can you parody a guy who is a living parody of himself? He is essentially just doing Tracey Morgan's act which he should probably be more aware of considering he spends so much time rebutting accusations of joke stealing.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

nemoulette posted:

I don't usually trust goon advice due to my intense dislike for CDR/CBB and DLM and the like (although I did find out about UYD here years ago), but man, the Jay Mohr podcast is loving great.

Let me guess... you also love the Joe Rogan and Adam Carolla podcasts.

After 136 pages of this thread I'm pretty sure we could devise an intelligence test based on podcast preferences that would be more accurate than anything Mensa has ever come up with. It would be called the Rogan-Thompkins scale.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

CortezFantastic posted:

If you are being an elitest about a very niche form of entertainment like a PODCAST, you are a loving shithead. I like alternative comedy, but sometimes them and their fans are so far up their own rear end it's incredible. *goes back to listening to Joe Rogan and Joey Diaz*

I don't see how that makes any sense at all. Why should the nature of the medium prevent criticism of the content or of the people who enjoy that content?

I don't need ten COMEDY IS SUBJECTIVE posts to inform me that people like different things. Some people like The Real Housewives of New Jersey and some people prefer Masterpiece Theatre. I am aware of this. It's this idea that these preferences apparently say nothing about the person that is new to me.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Teepkick Shakur posted:

:words: :words: :words:

I disagree. I do not think it's endearing to listen to a 40+ year old man going through the type of intellectual awakening most people go through in their teens.

I also disagree strongly with your inference that that his attention to athletics earlier in his life is to blame for his delayed mental development. Academics and athletics are not mutually exclusive.

This is the last post I'm ever going to make about Joe Rogan. He is one of the most controversial people in this thread and I'm sure others get tired of the disagreements. In my opinion, Joe Rogan is an imbecile. I don't like wasting my time listening to imbeciles. I would rather that the SA forums was a place where people who do enjoy Joe Rogan were as ostracized as furries, but unfortunately that is not the case.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Flamazot posted:

I tried listening to the Pod F. Tompkast today, but I wasn't really enjoying it

I think that's your problem right there. It's a night time podcast. The first words are "It's night time on the internet." C'mon!*

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP_9zH9Q44o

ASL NIGGA posted:

You obviously havent bothered listening to any of his podcasts. Also "NotWearingPants" continues to cement himself as a smarmy fat nerd who sucks.

A smarmy fat nerd? on the SomethingAwful.com forums?! Well I never...

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 23, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I finally finished listening to all of the Mike And Tom Eat Snacks episodes. I shouldn't really say "finally" because that makes it sound like a chore. I had been putting off listening to the last few because I didn't want it to be over. Now I have to wait for them to put out new ones :(

This has become my favorite podcast. Their banter is almost always amusing and I think they chose a great topic to build a podcast around. I also like the length which is shorter than most podcasts. It just feels right and I have a moment of disappointment when it's over rather than glancing at the time and wondering when the hell it's ever going to end.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

RustyTrombone posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3434323&pagenumber=1#post395502751

Looks like there's gonna be a podcast forum fairly soon! It will be great to break up this thread a little. I've already prepared a UYD thread.

Thank god. This has pretty much become the Joe Rogan thread.

I'm looking forward to getting outside of the "listens to comedy podcasts" and "Loves MMA" Venn diagram intersection.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
:siren: Norm MacDonald Alert :siren:

Norm was on the Greg Fitzsimmons podcast. It was a few weeks ago but I just saw it now and I didn't see it mentioned here.

http://gregfitz.libsyn.com/norm-mac-donald-and-mark-mc-grath
http://gregfitz.libsyn.com/norm-mac-donald-part-2

He comes in around halfway through part 1.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Slotducks posted:

Does the WTF Premium account get access to every episode of WTF? Like if I buy the one month, can I listen to the Mencia and Louis CK episodes?

I haven't been following WTF lately so I'm not sure what premium is, but the RSS feed has all of the episodes available:

http://wtfpod.libsyn.com/rss

edit: Oh, maybe not... Could there be a limit on the viewable entries? They are still in my RSS reader and the media is still there though.

Here's some links

Louis CK part 1: http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_111_LOUIS_CK.mp3
Louis CK part 2: http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_112_LOUIS_CK_PT2.mp3

Mencia: http://traffic.libsyn.com/wtfpod/WTF_-_EPISODE_75_-_CARLOS_MENCIA.mp3

edit 2: oh, looks like Mencia episode isn't there any more. You better get the Louie CK ones quick if they are in the process of taking them down.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

ElCondemn posted:

I do like his stand up but he does the same thing Adam Carolla does, just complains for X amount of time. It's enjoyable sometimes but it gets tiresome after a while.

One of the big differences between Bill Burr and Adam Carolla is that Bill Burr's rants are mostly tongue-in-cheek. And when he starts ranting on a larger issue, like Banks, he's quick to follow it with "don't listen to me. I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about. I'm an idiot"

I think what Bill Burr does is pretty unique in the comedy podcast world. He almost never has guests and only occasionally brings his girlfriend in for a little while. Is there anyone else out there that does this, just solo stream of consciousness talk for an hour or so?

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 26, 2011

• Locked thread