Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Somebody make a smodcast thread so we don't ever have to speak of them here again.

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I like how because you don't like something, you're the "grown up" one for not liking it.

Besides, SModcast is great for Scott, Hollywood Babbleon is great for Ralph, JASB Get Old is great for Jay. Kevin is the worst thing about his own shows.

Great! make a thread about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Flamazot posted:

Just posting in case people didn't know, the Pod F. Tompkast is back today with episode 13.

I am so looking forward to this that I'll probably be disappointed. Of course I can't start listening now because I consider it an evening podcast.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HaterBaby posted:

And Red State is a piece of poo poo, just like every other Kevin Smith movie.

I'm not saying it was good, but I thought Dogma was watchable.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Dancing Potato posted:

Hamm and Bryan Cranston this week!

I used to feel sorry for Maron when I first started listening because I thought he was an extremely paranoid person who thought he had all these issues with people that were largely imaginary. Then after listening more regularly I realized the issues were not imaginary at all and that he was a huge dickhead who actually offended a lot of people.

Now, off the drugs and alcohol, he's apparently reformed and making amends with the people he's offended over the years. But you still can see the rear end in a top hat part of his personality in him when he interviews people like Chris Hardwick, Nick Thune and to a somewhat lesser extent, Anthony Jeselnik (you're a joke guy). He has no respect for these people and makes only half hearted attempts to conceal it.

It's somewhat ironic that he considers himself some sort of comedy purist, a protector of the "right" way of doing stand up, when the reality is that he was never that funny. He's caught up in this idea of real comedy requiring the comedian to expose his inner fears and hang-ups when, at least in my opinion, it's about making people laugh, something Maron never did very well.

All that considered, I think it's kind of odd that he's able to get such great guests. He's become like the Johnny Carson of comedy interview podcasts. And though I don't particular like him as a person, I'm going to keep listening as long as he keeps getting the guests.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Yoshifan823 posted:

His new album is much less angry and more what you're talking about. It's honestly one of my favorite stand-up albums.

You should link to some of your favorite clips if they are out there on youtube. I'd be interested in checking them out.

I listened to the episode with Michael Showalter today (ep 162 from March), and I really enjoyed it.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Sabs. posted:

What happened to Bill Burr's podcast? It's gone from itunes.

SpacePig posted:

You can get the MP3 of it from https://themmpodcast.com, though. At least he says you can.

Seems like any and all download links are broken in one way or another. Only go the the site above if you intend to listen to it there, Just use libsyn like everyone else, Bill

Here's a direct link to last Monday's podcast that I found in his forum: http://www.themmpodcast.com/audio/MMPC%2010-3-11.mp3

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Transfatuation posted:

Holy god Amy Sedaris is absolutely loving hysterical on the latest live WTF.

I usually skip the live ones, but that recommendation was the impetus I needed to check it out.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I thought the weird thing about the Carrot Top interview is that Maron is trying to go deeper by asking him how he feels about people not respecting him and his act, but that's not just "people", that's Maron. He's talking about it in the third person when he is the guy always leading the charge when it comes to putting down the work of others when it doesn't conform to his idea of what a comedian should be. It would have been cool if Carrot Top turned it around and said "Well, Marc, tell us how you feel about meeting someone who turns out to be a decent person when you've been a huge dick to that person all your life."

SpacePig posted:

I won't comment on WTF, though, because I've only listened to the Norm episode, and it just doesn't seem like the type of show for me.

Maron is good if you're a comedy junkie because he interviews everyone, but it's not really a comedy show.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Dave Attell is on Bill Burr's latest Monday Morning Podcast. It's worth a listen.

http://www.billburr.com/podcast/MMPC_NOV_7.mp3

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I've never seen Mr. Show. I was out of the country when it aired. Does it stand the test of time?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Yay! It's Monday, new podcasts for everyone!

Of course, Bill Burr and MATES are always late, but the new WTF and Comedy Bang Bang will fill the time until they post theirs.

I just finished the new WTF with Adam Scott and I want to get me some nicotine lozenges.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
If anyone was waiting for the latest Monday Morning Podcast and didn't see it coming through on their feeds, it looks like Bill Burr has a new site redesign and is now using libsyn for his hosting.

Here's the new feed: http://billburr.libsyn.com/rss

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Wtf? no WTF thread?

Penn really gets into the libertarian propaganda in the latest WTF but I didn't find it as annoying as I thought I would. It would have been nice if Maron could have challenged him a little more though, specifically I thought it odd that someone who professes to be such a fan of Zinn's People's History of the United States didn't think to ask Penn why the magical libertarian charity world never manifested itself before the advent of labor laws.

But Penn is pretty likable even when doing his political schtick.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Bill Burr changed the URL of his RSS feed again in case anyone was wondering why the new one from two weeks ago wasn't updating:

http://billburr.com/feed/podcast

The web page is:

http://billburr.com/podcast

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Fil5000 posted:

Although if I hear him say "kick in some shekels" once more, I will scream. I have no idea why his repetition of the phrase annoys me, but it does.

His phrase that I find the most annoying is "Who are your guys?"

I'm not exactly sure why, but I think it has something to do with the implication that most people can be defined by a small group of writers/comedians/whatever that they enjoyed when they were 15/20/X years old.

But it's probably mostly the phrasing. If he asked, "who were your comedic influences when you were first breaking into comedy?" it would bother me much less.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 28, 2011

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I like to think the comedian from the Louie episode called "Eddie" was based on Marc Maron.

Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/267683/louie-eddie#s-p1-so-i0 (expires in 3 days!)

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_%28Louie%29

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

mcvey posted:

"Eddie" is based(and played) off of Stanhope... no idea where you got Maron from all of that.

It was mostly the bitterness, inability to succeed in a conventional sense, disdain for the success of others, and belief that his comedy is more profound and important than that of other comedians.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I really liked the Pod F Thomcast at first, but I got bored with it after a while. I don't enjoy the impressions as much when he's alone. So I can kind of see where Solar Cuckulator is coming from.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

King Lou posted:

Comedy Bang Bang with Tim & Eric... a couple of funny moments but not really great.

Do they do their classic "pretend to be a horrible interview guest" thing? Because that always makes for a really great interview.:rolleyes:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DangerDummy! posted:

Does anyone have any interest in a Phil Hendrie thread? His back catalog is amazing (minus a couple years post 9/11), and the New New Phil Hendrie show is pretty decent, though not a total return to form. Thoughts?

e: If it makes any difference, most of his great stuff is only available via pay service. He's a bit strict about any past material appearing for free.

I used to enjoy Hendrie on the radio in south Florida before he went all neo-con muslim hater and lost his sense of humor after 9/11.

I would follow it, but I don't know if I would contribute. I have a couple of very old clips, but if he's strict about old stuff being released I guess I shouldn't post them.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

DangerDummy! posted:

Yeah, I didn't think I'd see a huge groundswell of excitement for the idea. It's too bad, because I don't think there are too many people with more raw talent than Phil, but he just can't stop being a loving dickhead.

If we say too many nice things about him here, he'll just try to shut us down anyway.

One of my favorite pre-9/11 bits was the Muslim guy who used the America flag to wash his car and wipe off his dog's rear end. "This is a free country!" (While that may sound like post-9/11 Muslim baiting, those familiar with the show realize it's the opposite: the humor is in the callers who get enraged over the things said by the "guest"). A few months later Hendrie would become the people he is mocking on that episode.

Start the thread and see what happens. I'd be interesting in hearing what he's been doing for the last ten years. Most of the posts in the Marc Maron thread are by people who cant stand him personally but listen anyway, so I guess Hendrie's horrible personality traits are no reason to not have a thread.

I've got a couple of really old ones that more recent fans may have never heard. One of my personal favorites is Phil playing the "Let me put you on hold for a second" gag on an elderly woman who calls the station to complain about Neil Rogers (a now-dead south Florida radio icon).

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just started listening to The Flop House, but so far I like it a lot more than We Hate Movies and How Did This Get Made.

None of them really warrant their own thread, but maybe someone should make a Movie/Comedy podcast thread.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Riptor posted:

I straight up dislike Phish and the show is still super entertaining

And I'm pretty ambivalent about Phish and I loved it so we've covered the gamut.

I remember not enjoying the first two episodes as much as the 3rd and 4th. In the 3rd Adam Scott was a welcome addition and of course the 4th was the actual Phish show episode which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I think I want to go to a Phish show now. Are there any women at these things or is it a straight up sausage fest?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
e:f;b

I didn't see the new page.

To add some content... People may not know that the British version of the Mac/PC ads starred Mitchell and Webb of "Peep Show" and "The Mitchell and Webb Look": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQlZ8t2WDEA&feature=related If you haven't seen these shows, check them out. They're on Netflix streaming.

Here's a sample of both.

Peep Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdmcjd7kSWE (NSFW language)
Mitchell and Webb Look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEle_DLDg9Y

One more: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNgmdGMpuY

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 23, 2012

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

HateTheInternet posted:

I get around 15 new podcasts every Monday and Bill Burr's always takes more time to download than the rest of them combined.

Sometimes it even drops with a partial download for me and I have to download it two or three times.

He's probably paying some idiot friend from the old days way too much to have it hosted out of his garage or something.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I just saw a boycott list of Rush Limbaugh's sponsors and some of the names are the same companies that sponsor most of the podcasts I listen to, including LegalZoom, Carbonite, GoToMyPC, and ProFlowers.

But I guess EarWolf and other podcast networks are not really in a financial position to refuse any sponsors, so there's no use criticizing them for it. I already don't use the products/services from those companies so it makes no difference to my life.

Jungledisk > Carbonite and GoToMyPC sucks compared to alternatives like TeamViewer.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

wafflesnsegways posted:

Now we just need a podcast feed of PFT guest appearances I could subscribe to.

It's kind of weird someone took the time to put together that website, but then didn't include links to the content and an RSS feed.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Bill Burr should call it the Tuesday afternoon podcast because that's how long it takes to download it.

Oh yeah, I went there.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

SpacePig posted:

Has this improved at all in the last few months? I used to listen to it pretty religiously, and it was the first podcast I listened to, but it just got boring and almost frustrating to try to listen to. It also didn't help that he had a hard time releasing it by Monday, and switched hosts 2 or 3 times in a couple of months' time.

His hosting situation now seems constant, yet comically slow. Downloads are usually < 10kb a sec, even if you download it it days after it is released.

The podcast itself is the same. He's a funny guy, but since he rarely has guests it tends to get repetitive. I recommend listening to it once a month or so rather than every week so it doesn't get stale.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

Would there be enough interest for a We Hate Movies thread? It's one of my favorite podcasts.

I think you could make a comedy film podcast thread and cover We Hate Movies, The Flophouse, and How Did This Get Made? (and any others out there). This way you could turn people on to the other ones they may not yet have heard.

Also, we could refer to them using abbreviations like WHM and TFH and talk about how HDTGM sucks compared to WHM and TFH.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

synertia posted:

I normally like How Did This Get Made? Jason always makes me laugh and there's usually a few gem comments in there. This week is just a mess. The guests are terrible, going off topic constantly, and they just keep talking over each other too much. It's not an excited thing like Pete Holmes, it's just frustrating and terrible. Paul Scheer even goes "Can we please talk about the movie?" Awful.

Edit: Paul Scheer and Jason Mantzoukas are really lucid and the guests just have no idea what happened and keep calling back to things that have been explained to them. This could have been a great episode.

Have you tried "We Hate Movies" or "The Flophouse" yet? They're pretty much the same concept but both are consistently better than "How Did This Get Made?" despite having less famous hosts.

Speaking of which... Does anyone listen to "Comedy Film Nerds" and if so, how does it compare to the three I just mentioned?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Is there no standard at all for volume levels? It seems a little strange that there is so much variance.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm looking forward to trying the Dana Gould Hour.

If anyone is looking for a new podcast to try I usually enjoy the Stuff You Should Know podcast.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/hsw-shows/stuff-you-should-know-podcast.htm

They aren't experts on the topics they discuss and it seems like they prepare for the show mostly by reading sources like Wikipedia, but is very easy to listen to and you might learn something!

e: I guess this isn't really comedy, but they do take a lighthearted or semi-serious approach to the subjects.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 16, 2012

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I was about to post a "Hey what are you guys going to use for RSS now that google reader is shutting down?" post, but then I realized there's probably already a thread about it in SH/SC and sure enough, there is: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3538300

I haven't read it yet but knowing SH/SC, I assume it will have plenty of suggestions/opinions on alternatives readers to use.

NotWearingPants fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2013

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

tnimark posted:

I don't know if anyone else here listens to The 40 Year Old Boy, but the latest episode.....oh man. I often have to stop listening to an episode of a podcast at work because I'm having trouble stifling my laughter, but this is the first time I've had to stop to prevent myself from weeping like a child.

I'm giving it a try thanks to your recommendation, but I'm 15 minutes in and so far it's difficult listening. He just talks so drat fast it sounds like he's having a manic episode. And I'm finding the female Ed McMahon laughing and whooping in the background to be pretty annoying.

It's sounds like the bizarro world Pod F. Tompcast. I feel like he's going to give me a seizure.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

caligulamprey posted:

That's Mike Schmidt. Jump on board, it's always a carnival fun house ride of emotional pain (Or physical pain if you can track down episode 36 of year four).

Would it really throw you off if I said he reeled it in on the latest episode in terms of mania?

Yeah, not for me. But we can't all share the same tastes. I have almost all of Stop Podcasting Yourself's catalog to get through anyway.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Harmontown? I'm always ready to try a recommendation from this thread.

But I can't see how you can download it. There's no RSS link and the listen page goes to an embedded player. Am I missing the mp3 download somewhere?

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Binowru posted:

Man, I think I'm about ready to give up on Sklarbro Country/County. Same jokes over and over, unfunny characters (except for James Adomian), and Dan Van Kirk is painfully unfunny. I'm torn about this, as this is a podcast I've listened to from the start, and I still love the Sklars as comedians. I just wish their podcast was, I dunno, better.

I concur. Maybe they are just doing too many and if they got rid of County it would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I saw Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter started a podcast called Topics. I listened to the first two episodes and it wasn't good at all. I like both of them so I was disappointed it wasn't better. Does anyone know if it gets any better and would recommend listening to some of the more recent episodes?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but Rapidly Going Deaf doesn't seem to be listed as an option in the forums search.

• Locked thread