Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

redz posted:

Came to post about Eardrop, this just sounds amazing.

Little Gary! and Matt Besser's Bjork in the first day alone :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

benito posted:

I'm also weirdly fond of Jackie Kashian's "The Dork Forest". She's got some of the usual roster of rotating podcasters and comedians as guests, but mixes in some others that are out of nowhere. And the one with Paul F. Tompkins and his wife was kind of sweet. When she's got a guest from the upper midwest, it can get mired in regional references, but since I've got family up there it's nice to hear.

I normally like it myself, but the Jen Kirkman/Karen Rontowski episode was awful. (Though it is funny hearing Jackie making fun of it in the next episode)

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

red19fire posted:

Has anyone tried using the sponsorship codes for audible that Nerdist/WTF/DLM/etc gave out? I guess they expire after a month or so. I have a long road trip coming up, and I'd love to stock up on some audiobooks.

The codes I've used so far are DLM, WTF, WTFPOD, NERDIST, & ACE to no avail.

I think they may have stopped sponsoring the podcasts, so I wouldn't expect them to work

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

OGB posted:

Wil Wheaton. Sorry, I've seen a lot of people confuse the two this week, and it just struck me as funny that it happened here too.

Wasn't his neighbor Joss Whedon as well? Even if you wouldn't call him a nerd, he seems to be a magnet for their icons.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

GaryOak posted:

Can any kindly soul spare a passing piece of advice for a novice such as myself and tell me some good British or Australian comedic podcasts?

Edit: Canada is okay too

TOFOP with Will Anderson and Charlie Clausen is really good (Australian). Kind of similar to Walking the Room but a bit more upbeat and less blue. (But if you have listened to Walking the Room you probably already checked out TOFOP).

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Dave just posted this on Facebook: "If I were to take a guess right now, I'd say 143 would be the final WTR."

drat. So whatever happened, has gotten worse.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Sandweed posted:

5$ says the real reason is that Greg and his wife split up

As depressing as it is, my money is on that or something went wrong with the medication he is on and he had some sort of breakdown.

Its kind of weird how much we know about people's personal lives thanks to podcasts.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Mst3kmann posted:

Just saw on Dave Anthony's twitter that Walking the Room is back from hiatus. Should be interesting to hear what Greg has to say.

Abusing prescription dog pills has to be the most Walking the Room reason for all of this.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

SoupyTwist posted:

Here's a recent podcast with Gallagher and Peter Serafinowicz at the Bridgetown Comedy festival. It goes about as well as expected.

This is a bit old/redundant at this point but,: I remember the WTF being an entertaining trainwreck, but this was just infuriating . What an awful, awful man.

(And Peter Serafinowicz incredible dryness was entertaining in addition to having to give him respect for calling Gallagher out).

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Zohn posted:

I also highly recommend Walking the Room. It's a little like my all time favorite Uhh Yeah Dude, only with two talented comedians publically reveling in the failure of their careers. WtR has the same sort of in show universe and vocabulary that has been built up spontaneously over the years, and like UYD, knowing the inside jokes and call backs isn't strictly necessary, it does make it better. Each episode tends to be broken up into three distinct conversations where Dave and Greg start off on a topic from their lives or the news and ramble off into entertainingly dark and nonsensical tangents.

I don't know if I would describe what caused WtR's recent hiatus as 'drama' however. For those that don't know, host Greg Behrendt (of He's Just Not That Into You "fame") broke his long time sobriety by taking dog pills of all things. Dave Anthony is IRL close friends with Greg and so was understandably pissed off and hurt and disappointed at the time, but it was luckily just a brief relapse and the show has been back and as good as ever for awhile now.

I recommend starting off with one of the special episodes where a comedian they know guest stars (just pick one with someone you like) to get a feel for the show, and if you like what you hear just start from around the 10s and power through the archive so you too can find out about the habits of the mysterious hobotangs and the secret violent side of Ellen Degeneres.

Oh, and they also started the LA podcast festival, so there's that too.

I don't know if it will be bit reference rich for new listeners, but the revelatory "Dog Pills" episode (or maybe the episode after, 144/145) might be a fun place to go after one of the guest episodes.

I remember really loving the Kyle Kinane episode

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Apoplexy posted:

I can't wait for the Maron with Dave Anthony and the Mike Tyson prank now. Holy poo poo.

Isn't the joke that they gave him a fake script etc? Mike Tyson isn't going to be even mentioned on the show. The prank isn't actually going to be part of Maron.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

It appears that Walking the Room's hiatus is permanent. At least there is still the Dollop and FOFOP.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

"Greg "FTD" B. posted:

An Explanation. Cuddlahs, Cuddlers, and Others! I Sweater, am alone responsible for the blow up of the Walking The Room podcast. For months now this page had become something a Dollop annex I suppose. I'm not surprised by that. WTR was on a sort of "career break" I've been hustling as hard as I can to put my life in order and and my career back on track post dog pills. (ha ha remember) That's made podcasting hard. So that Dave has a new podcast or two is understandable. What happened was this: For the last few months, since the inception of the Dollop really, I was surprised how cruel or insensitive some people have been to me on here in regards to The Dollop and specifically Gareth. Twitter? I get. But here? This is my page too. This was "our" page. I get there will be comparisons or whatever but really? Here? "I like the Dollop better." "Gareth is like Greg if Greg could speak full sentences and was funny." "Don't miss him" You get it. Yes there have been many posts that are quite the opposite. Lovely in fact and they didn't disparage Gareth or the Dollop. So I just stopped coming.. Sometimes I'd post about a show but It felt like a different place. And I didn't want to get my feelings hurt since most of the posts were non WTR related. Yesterday there were 50 or so notices from Fb about WTR on my iPad. So I thought something crazy had happened. And apparently there's a Live Dollop w Patton. And I was like gently caress this is a full blown dollop page. So really half jokingly I swapped out the avatar and the banner. It was dumb but it was also meant to poke the bear not set it on fire. When I was on my way to work this morning I saw the same thing you guys did. I loved doing this show. It, in many many ways, actually saved my life and gave me a music career along the way. So did you. This was it's own thing. It wasn't a podcast, It was a podcuddle. I love all of you despite what you may or may not think about me and I have made some amazing friends and acquaintances. And to be fair we did some pretty amazing work. There isn't an episode that doesn't have at least one nugget of supremely pathetic, supremely funny and supremely personal comedy. It may even be the best comedy work I've done or will ever do. My apologies for messing up our show. My gratitude for you supporting our cause. Forever Nope Sweater.

Wouldn't be surprised if it comes back again

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

More drama:

Plenty more here: https://www.facebook.com/DaveAnthonyWTR/posts/861973457155311

Listening to those two, I'm sure they won't stay quiet forever.

Maybe one of them will start a podcast with Tom Scharpling and the other with Paul F. Tompkins.

Both Walking the Room and TOFOP ended with an episode with Charlie Clausen. Coincidence?

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 13, 2014

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

wafflesnsegways posted:

At some point, Greg and Dave stopped referring to the upcoming live Walking the Room as a reunion, and started referring to it as the final Walking the Room episode.

Really curious to hear what happens.

I think its just both moved on with their lives (and the podcast relied on bad/weird things happening to them). I loved the podcast but they aren't the same people they were when it started.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Drunkboxer posted:

I like the dollop but haven't ever listen to Walking the Room. Is there a classic episode I could listen to?

I think the first one with Kyle Kinane is good. (#69) but thats just because I listened to it recently randomly, and I really like Kinane. I can't really remember which bits are in which episode. #81 with Patton had a good long story (but awful intro). I'd probably just avoid around the 140s because thats when the show almost ended. Maybe one of the other guest ones if you like the guests.

The first episode I heard was #43 and that was good enough to hook me for the 3ish years it lasted after that.

Edit: #82 has one of my favorite stories from the run on it.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 2, 2015

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I'm kinda scared to listen to it, to be honest

It drags a bit in the middle, but finishes quite strong. Its a nice episode that kind of highlights why it had to end.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

I guess Greg Behrendt has cancer (and undergone multiple rounds of Chemo). Weird that I found out about it through NNF.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Sandweed posted:

Is Dave still arranging this thing? I thought he had left it to someone else.

Yeah, Dave isn't the one making any of the arrangements.

Apparently according to a facebook post:

Dave Anthony posted:

f you can't see the live stream, here's what happened. We paid Godaddy to handle one million streams. They capped it much lower and aren't fixing it. We are archiving the shows. You can watch on periscope @lapodfest. Feel free to ask @godaddy why they have screwed up

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

GoDaddy doesn't even provide streaming technology. What the gently caress is Dave talking about

I think it might be literally getting to the website that provides the stream (and logins etc). Their setup was kind of weird last year too, but as far as I know it worked. (I think I only watched archives)

Edit: http://www.lapodfest.com/live/ seems to work for me now even if the main site doesn't

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 19, 2015

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I cannot even log in let alone see a stream, at a time when only one show is going. This is extremely good

Try Http instead of https

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Maduo posted:

Before all this happened it sounded like people were purposely delaying when the episodes came out so they wouldn't cut the feed and archive money off at the knees. At least, that's what I've guessed based on what happened last year and what some of the podcasters said this year. No clue what they'll do now given the situation but as long as the archive still shows up on time it'll probably beat most audio versions to the punch.

Now, if that works as planned is a different matter.

Giant bomb mentioned they couldn't put their podcast up as an audio one (let alone video) for over a month.

Edit: And I think the video paid archives is supposed to be up within the week.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Sandweed posted:

New Walking the Room is out and it's good.

They didn't catch the venue messing up the intro music repeatedly including playing an old squarespace ad from them. It was very walking the room

• Locked thread