Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
This thread is about both general and specific Harvest Moon discussion, as well as anticipation for the latest titles in the series.

What is Harvest Moon?

Harvest Moon are a series of games that date back to the SNES. An original concept from a man named Yasuhiro Wada at Marvelous Entertainment, each game's goal is to become a succesful farming entrepeneur and local town socialité.

Much has changed since the original SNES game but the premise and mechanics haven't developed farther. You achieve your goals by planting and growing fruits and vegetables, raising animals for their produce, as well as picking clean the environment of fish, insects, flowers, fruits and weeds. You sell these things at the end of the day/week/festival and earn a profit, which you will use to buy different crop seeds, livestock, tools, gifts, enlarge, repair and upkeep your farm and house, etc.

The games have seasonal time limits as well as yearly goals. You can select from a cavalcade of available bachelors or bachelorettes to court and marry. The idea is since every villager in town can be affected positively or negatively by your actions (giving them gifts, talking, littering the sreets, etc.) you can pay specific care to one/all/none of the available prospects. If all goes well, and after a series of successive events have been triggered, you will be given an option to marry said person. Doing so will result in her/him moving in your home and later having a child which will make you lose all interest in keeping playing (unless it's Rune Factory 2 in which it is actually part of the game mechanic).

Harvest Moon Grand Bazaar

OUT NOW, GET IT, GO, DO IT

This is the localized version of Wind Bazaar which came out in Japan 2 years ago. Includes wireless multiplayer for trading and competing on festivities (minigames) and instead of shipping items day to day, you collect your week's harvest and produce, and sell them at the bazaar on the weekend. Besides that:
  • Superior quality produce like cheese, wines and teas and other things are processed in specific windmills, you blow on the mike to make them spin faster thus shortening the production times
  • You can double jump. You'll learn to depend on this
  • Seeds now plant on a single grid, no more 3x3
  • You can walk and run over your crops. Running over them will lower their value.
  • Watering your crops twice per day will increase their value
  • Sidestepping, finally you can strafe around
  • Time never stops, even indoors or while looking in your rucksack, however the game moves around 1 minute per second, so there's a generous amount of time to finish your chores and stroll around town.
  • You can train your pets to help you herd animals. You can have up to 5 dogs and 5 cats

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well, after playing around with it, it seems like both me and Corridor were a little right about training.

For cats, every single time they hit the bell they gain experience. You putting it in your pocket, or it flying out of the room or into the storage basket causes a friendship boost, and MAYBE a training boost. But I just saw my cat gain a training level in the middle of playing with the bell, so my theory seems likely.

With dogs, they gain experience every time they bring you back the bone, not just every fifth time. Every fifth time they gain a friendship boost in addition to the regular training boost.

What I've been doing with some success is bringing the cat up to the pasture above your house and tossing the bell out so it can play with it while you tend to the cows. Cats are nice because you don't need to be directly involved for it to train. It WILL get bored of the bell, but then you pick it up and throw it again, and it will be obsessed for a couple hours again. It also makes it easy to train the dog and cat at the same time.

I don't have more than one of each yet, but considering that the max training level allows them to handle 20 animals, I don't know if I'll ever have more than one of each.

Revol posted:

From Fogu, comprehensive item price spreadsheet. The numbers might not be exact beyond the .5 rating, but it gives you a very close idea it sounds like.

Falcon2001 posted:

So, I'm a little insane, and I ended up making a ridiculous addition to the Fugu HM Spreadsheet - profitability checks!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8184495/HM%20GB%20Price%20list%20-%20Modified.xlsx

: ( Way too much work for little to no reward, but it's handy. The upper left contains a search box that will highlight any recipe that uses the word.

Harvest Moon Twin Villages(J)/Tale of Two Towns(US) DS & 3DS

Out in Japan since July 8th 2010
Out in the US NOW! go get it! (for DS, and for 3DS in late October)

The latest DS title. You have an initial option between starting in an european stereotype town called Bluebell which specializes in raising cattle, or a stereotype japanese village called Konohana for growing and cultivating crops (however you can move between each location during the last week of each month if you wish so).

Also the fact that each village is "themed" does not exclude the chance of performing the opposite activity; ie: you can just as well have crops in Europeton and cattle in Japashire. Both neighbouring villages trade stuff with each other and this is the new core mechanic of the game.

It has been reported by import enthusiasts and weeaboos alike that much of the Grand Bazaar annoyances have popped back in (bad map, slow as molasses time progression) as well as tweaks (water crops twice to make them grow faster).

The US release comes out for both DS and Nintendo's reinvention of the wheel, 3DS (although later). The biggest and most relevant difference is that the 3DS version can support a higher resolution due to the 3DS' wider screen (400x240 vs the 256x192 resolution of a DS). Thanks FOGU!

Harvest Moon Rune Factory 3

Out in Japan since October last year/ Out in the US NOW, GO GET IT!

The Rune Factory games are developed by Neverland, not Marvelous. They are the Megaman Zero of the HM series. They are pretty solid and mix action/adventure elements via capturing monsters and collecting as a side dish to the usual farming.

Rune Factory 3 is now the best Harvest Moon game ever made.

LordSloth posted:

You guys probably know all about this, but I didn't see it in the OP, or hear about it recently...
http://harvestmoonforever.blogspot.com/

This guy has several guides up.
http://grandbazaarfreyashawk.blogspot.com/

I did hear about the fogu thing from here and looked it up. Site doesn't work for me though. Edit: at least for grand bazaar

[u]Harvest Moon Rune Factory 4

OUT NOW go get it

The latest anime. It has a background story involving royalty and dragons. You start off as either Les the male bachellor or Frey, his opposing gender counterpart. If you are familiar with Suikoden's "build a fortress" game, or Skies of Arcadia's similar island decoration sub, you'll love to know this game includes an "upgrade your town" task which gives you a title (and as your town progresses your title does, etc. you know the drill). Marvellous have also included a game mechanic which allows you to date multiple guys or girls at the same time.

Night Gaunt posted:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the upcoming Rune Factory 4 for the 3DS so I've compiled some interesting facts about the game.

* First off, you can play as a male or as Miku Hatsune a female.

* Like the previous Rune Factory games, your character has amnesia. But instead of being told to go fix up some dumpy farm on the outskirts of town, you get to live as a prince/princess! However, this means that you're in charge of building up the town. You can spend Prince/Princess Points to build things like a blacksmith's or hold festivals.

* The dating system has changed so that you can actually date characters. Marvelous said, "In previous Rune Factories and Harvest Moon as well, you go immediately from being friends to being married. Everyone one has a different opinion of marriage and I felt it was a little bit too sudden. Instead of having that sudden break, we put a dating period within the game that way you can get to know a lot of lovely ladies and decide to who you want to be with.”

* You can grow giant crops. No idea what they do beside maybe winning weigh-off contests.

* You will be able to talk to dragons for some reason. Probably plot related though.

Revol posted:

:h: REVOL'S PAGE 100 RUNE FACTORY 4 HINTS TIPS AND STUFF :h:

FARMING
  • Outside the Obsidian Mansion, there is a pathway to the left. The giant pine tree will give you a random tree seed every day.
  • Gigantic/Golden Crop Guide
  • Crops Leveling: You can get the shops to sell upgraded seeds by shipping either higher level crops or seeds. To reliably upgrade your crops, use the sickle on the crop to harvest its seeds. (Of course, you have a rare chance to get seeds when you harvest normally.) There are two caveats, though:
    - It seems that your cheap sickle won't be able to harvest crop levels all the way. I was told by Doug that I need to have a better sickle if I want to complete his "Ship a Level 5 Crop" quest. So, with the first sickle, you can only grow crops up to level 3.
    - To unlock the shop's ability to sell upgraded crops, there is a prerequisite quest that asks you to ship a level 2 Turnip. Until you do this quest, the shops will only ever sell level 1 seeds. This quest occurs pretty quickly as long as you stay on your quests. - Thanks Speedball!
  • Expanding your farm gives you another screen with another plot of farmland. Something important to note, though: new farmland plots need new barns to have them worked. Your monsters will only work the field that their barn is on. - Thanks Emalde!
  • Save your crops from a tsunami! You can buy a product from the store, wettable solution, during the storm, and use it on your crops. - Thanks Lord Ephraim!
  • Fruit Trees:
    - They only take up one plot.
    - They do need to be watered after maturity, or else they will wilt. This doesn't appear to permanently kill the tree. - Thanks DoubleDonut!
    - They give around three fruit every day. - Thanks Emalde!

COMBAT
  • For anybody who uses magic spells, Leon will level them up if you hand them to him. The early upgrades just require money, but as you get above rank 3 he'll start requesting different gems/minerals. - Thanks Emalde!
  • Leon's spell leveling costs: - Thanks Fru Fru!
    Level 2 - 500g
    Level 3 - 3000g
    Level 4 - sapphire
    Level 5 - platinum
    Level 6 - orichalcum
    Beyond that I have no idea cause I haven't found any orichalcum yet.
  • Using Gloves or Dual Blades as a weapon type will negate the bonus of the Shield you're wearing, but if you enhance the shield with a Scale category item, you can then receive 50% of the stats from the shield. - Thanks Emalde!
  • Having trouble in a new dungeon? Your gear is outdated.

LIVESTOCK/MONSTERS
  • If you give an item to a monster/animal and no hearts appear, that means your barn is full.
  • Giving items to your monster also enhances their traits. The example used by the NPC is that if you give a "Rigid Horn" (which inherently raises Crit Rate on equipment in upgrades) to a monster enough times, eventually every attack they execute will critical hit. - Thanks Emalde!
  • For Eggs/Milk/Wool/Etc, the base type (small/medium/large) is dependent upon the Level of the Monster, while the quality is based on the FP. - Thanks Emalde!
  • To get your monsters to plant seeds, they have to be at 8 FP. This doesn't take long with daily brushing and gifting. You have to have pre-tilled the fields, and you'll need to be quick because it's the first activity they'll do in the morning. - Thanks Emalde!
  • If you want to move animals to another barn bring them with you to the new barn and tell it to go home. - Thanks Vanilla Mint Ice!

ITEMS/CRAFTING
  • Sashimi is a good early-game HP/RP/stat boost. Get yourself the kitchen knife.
  • Pickled Turnips give 105 RP, making it a good early-game RP heal.
  • Once you get Oven, you can use Flour/Yam to make Bread>Toast or Sweet Potato. These gives 2k HP and 800/500RP respectively.
  • An early profitable cooking recipe is, when you get frying pan, Milk + Eggs will produce Omelet which sells for 820G
  • The telecommunicator the general store furniture section sells is a node for calling the airship. Not all that useful, but its a thing. Slap it in your room and you can board the airship right after teleporting home I guess. - Thanks Blhue!
  • Raven's inventory is based on you shipping out monster goods and gems/minerals. Ship the rare monster drops, and they'll later appear in her store. - Thanks Emalde!
  • Pay attention to the items it defaults to when crafting/forging. It tends to use your rarest material first. - Thanks Lord Ephraim!
  • If you upgrade a farming tool with the magnifying glass, that tool functions like a magnifying glass. For best results, put it on your sickle so that you can see the level of the crop you're thinking about whacking. - Thanks Dirk the Average!
  • Parallel laser (2nd level water spell) is apparently hidden behind trees that only disappear during a thuderstorm. - Thanks Dirk the Average!
  • For those wondering where orihalcum is: Leon Karnak. - Thanks Blhue!
  • A soldier recommends that you upgrade your armor with Green Core, Red Core, Yellow Core and Blue Core in that order. He must know what he's talking about, but we don't know what good it does. - Thanks Vanilla Mint Ice!

CHARACTERS
  • Most characters need 3FP to have them follow you. Forte is an exception.
  • "HELP! Why does _____ tell me they can't join my party right now? They have 3+FP/LP so I'm not sure what the problem is?
    Check your "condition of the town" (at your bed save point) and see if there is a quest activated. If so, then you need to complete that quest first before they can join. Don't see a quest? It might be a "pajama party sleepover" invite.. if you are playing as Frey, go talk to Margaret (For Lest, go talk to Doug). She might invite you that night to her house for a PJ sleepover party. If that fails, walk around town in the morning and talk to everyone to see if a sub-event or "mini" sub-event triggers."
  • Supposedly, cancelling festivals increases the likelihood of a character sub-event happening.
  • Confessing Love: Starting from LP 7, each marriageable candidate has a chance of accepting your confession. Fogu claims that this is 30% at 7, 60% at 8, 90% at 9, and presumably 100% at 10 or more, but I have no idea where those numbers come from. (This percentage goes down with every successive girlfriend/boyfriend you have. Again, I have no idea how much.) However, it seems like if you confess and are rejected, you're locked out until you get to the next LP level - so if you are rejected at 7, you would have to wait until you reached 8 to have another chance. This means that if you're at LP 9 and are rejected, you're mostly just really unlucky. This also means that if you want to confess as soon as possible, wait until LP 7, then save, then keep confessing and reloading until it works. - Thanks DoubleDonut!
  • If you want to trigger an event for a particular character: - Thanks Lord Ephraim!
    - get them to 7 FP/LP
    - invite them to your party
    - save on a Monday and cancel any festival that week. (Hilariously, you can cancel Christmas)
    - sleep over and over for a week straight, if your party member leaves, an event triggered involving them. If not, reload and try again.
  • Dates are the only thing that can raise LP reliably past 8. - Thanks Lord Ephraim!

OTHER
  • L+R+Start+Select = soft reset - Thanks Dirk the Average!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I was going to ask for a crafting guide, but I stumbled upon one. If you want to try crafting without bread, here you go. http://therunefactory.wikia.com/wiki/Forging_%28RF4%29

Ka0 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
After playing the original I jumped back into the series with Friends of Mineral Town. I'd be very willing to play a game like that again but from what I've read all the others involve weird gimmicks that have turned me off (like Rune Factory's monster collecting).

Twin Villages looks like it might capture the kind of thing I like most about HM but I'm still skeptical since these games are huge time sinks. Any recommendations for what's out/about to be released?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I'm basically stoked on Twin Villages as well. Focusing on either crops or cattle really helps water down the daily chore rhythm. Plus alpaca breeding and apiculture, who could resist that.
You oughta give the Rune Factory games another go, specially 2 which changes quite a few things.

Click here for the full 1342x890 image.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Twin Villages looks amazing. I love this series but I'm sick of the excessive localization times. They're not even good translations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I hadn't realised Sunshine Islands had fixed the controls. I tried Island of Happiness way back when and liked the introduction, but actually doing anything in game was so incredibly painful I dropped it almost immediately.

Probably a stupid question, but I assume I won't be missing out on anything playing Sunshine without Happiness?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

I hadn't realised Sunshine Islands had fixed the controls. I tried Island of Happiness way back when and liked the introduction, but actually doing anything in game was so incredibly painful I dropped it almost immediately.

Probably a stupid question, but I assume I won't be missing out on anything playing Sunshine without Happiness?
Sunshine Islands is basically an updated version of Island of Happiness but there is not direct connection between the two games other than the reused characters.
I don't even think any references are made to Island of Happiness in Sunshine Island either.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 9, 2010

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

They added some of content and extra characters.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Ka0 posted:

You oughta give the Rune Factory games another go, specially 2 which changes quite a few things.

Out of all the RF titles, I enjoyed Frontier on the Wii the most. It fixed most of the annoying aspects of the first RF on the DS.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I used to love the poo poo out of Harvest Moon, but the first DS one about Islands and then Rune Factory 2 just kind of killed the series for me. Islands was utter and complete poo poo, and Rune Factory 2 just got way too tedious and was too similar to the first. I can't believe there are now 3 recent Harvest Moon games that I've never played, but looking at them I still feel very little desire to try them. Have any of them updated the formula enough to be worth a try?

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
For this being one of my favorite series, it's hard for me to get excited about Harvest Moon anymore. You would think they would get better at translating and removing bugs from the game but it seems each game has problems in some fashion.

The latest one I've played is Island of Happiness and though I didn't mind the touch screen controls, having to run around talking to people so they didn't move away was draining and boring.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
I loved how in Rune factory 1 you could just say gently caress farming and mine for diamonds and get rich without all the work.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Yes, Twin Villages! Alpacas, motherfucker! I'm pumped.

The last one I played was sunshine islands, but inevitably play slowed down during winter and I got bogged down with school. (Which is too bad because it has some FINE ladies.)

Has anyone played the latest wii version? I think it's called 'Tree of Tranquility'?

Plain Cheese Pizza
Aug 26, 2006

Sssh! They might have daggers...

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

The last one I played was sunshine islands, but inevitably play slowed down during winter and I got bogged down with school. (Which is too bad because it has some FINE ladies.)

Has anyone played the latest wii version? I think it's called 'Tree of Tranquility'?

I bought Tree of Tranquility and played it for maybe four hours before losing complete interest. Animal Parade is actually the most recent Wii game.

Island of Happiness was awful, and I don't understand how people are excited about any of these new games that are being pumped out with all of the same problems.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Scooty Puff Jr. posted:

I haven't played the latest, but I really liked Tree of Tranquility. Like every Harvest Moon since Back to Nature I didn't actually finish it, but that's just because I don't have the patience for long games anymore. I probably spent more time playing it than any other Harvest Moon except BtN though.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The latest one I own is Magical Melody for the Gamecube. Its fun and I like it, but I can't help but say that the stamina in that game is rear end. I think I am almost upgraded to the max but I cant cut down more than 2 trees without my stamina going into the gutter.

I guess I was wishing for something more like the first Harvest Moon on SNES. I think that one is still my favorite of all the ones I played. Then again, I haven't played Harvest Moon 64. I wish it would come out for the virtual console.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
One thing I can say re: Magical Melody: DO NOT buy the Wii port. It is the most loving terrible thing and the only difference is that they pulled out the ability to play as a girl and added in gimmicky motion controls. Those really are the only differences: they didn't even bother changing the text ingame that referred to the buttons on the Gamecube controller.

I haven't tried it yet but I'm pretty sure you can't play with the gamecube controller plugged in, either (though other than the motion controls which aren't necessary, playing with the wiimote isn't too bad). I'd recommend to anyone interested in the game to get the Gamecube version instead.

doggiebiscuit posted:

After playing the original I jumped back into the series with Friends of Mineral Town. I'd be very willing to play a game like that again but from what I've read all the others involve weird gimmicks that have turned me off (like Rune Factory's monster collecting).

Twin Villages looks like it might capture the kind of thing I like most about HM but I'm still skeptical since these games are huge time sinks. Any recommendations for what's out/about to be released?

Harvest Moon DS or Sunshine Islands might be what you're looking for. The only gimmicks they add are the requirement to free harvest sprites or collect special stones before you can do certain important tasks.

I'd probably recommend 'Harvest Moon DS Cute'. I felt it was pretty close to FOMT in terms of gameplay and the general feel of the game, although you can't get married until you 'free' 60 Harvest sprites (which can take a few years ingame). Cute also fixes a few horrible bugs with the first HMDS game, although a fixed copy of the game was released if you're intent on playing as a dude.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

I love Harvest Moon, but pretty much years of hardcore playing since I was 10 have killed much of my desire to play the series. I got Animal Parade when it came out but I only played it for 20 minutes and I haven't touched it since. :( I should also send in my copy of ToT to get it fixed too, if they're still doing that.

I am really stoked about Twin Village since it doesn't look like something that I've played before.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
^^^

I'm in Australia and have been looking everywhere for a copy of Animal Parade! The only stores shipping internationally have it listed at ridiculous prices (well over $100USD including shipping) or have been out of stock for months. If you're willing to part with it, PM me :)

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

naptalan posted:

I'd probably recommend 'Harvest Moon DS Cute'. I felt it was pretty close to FOMT in terms of gameplay and the general feel of the game, although you can't get married until you 'free' 60 Harvest sprites (which can take a few years ingame). Cute also fixes a few horrible bugs with the first HMDS game, although a fixed copy of the game was released if you're intent on playing as a dude.

I have been trying to find "Cute" off and on at used game stores for cheap with no luck. I found a box for it at a Gamestop one time and they slapped the wrong cartridge in there and sold it to me. :argh:

They really just need to re-release HM64 and I would be happy to buy it on virtual console. Most people try to argue that Back to Nature was a superior game, but Harvest Moon is not enjoyable with multiple loading screens.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
So hands down, what is everyone's favorite DS harvest moon game? I just picked up a DS and my handheld collection is not complete without a harvest moon game.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

There are multiple faults with each one so far, ranging from bugs, to bad translations and unconventional controls. I would say try them yourself first since all of them are quite far away from what friends of mineral town or back to nature were. I would stay away from the first one and Island of Happiness though.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I've never played one of these games, but I've always kind of been interested. Is there one that you suggest I play first? I have a DS, but I'd also play the SNES or N64 versions if people think they're the best.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'd honestly just start with the SNES game. It's the first, it was released before feature creep started kicking in and adding in lots of unnecessary stuff, it's really well done, and a great way to start playing the series and see why people got excited about it in the first place.

edit: And after that I haven't played it, but I've seen really high praise for Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube and PS2.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 10, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I have another question, I want to play some Harvest Moon on my PSP. Should I just rip and play the PS1 version of Back to Nature on it, or should I get the Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl port? Or should I get this new leaf valley game?

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!
Really? I would say Back to Nature on the PS1 or Friends of Mineral town on the GBA (it's basically a port with some minor improvements) would be the best to start with, simple and easier to get into than the SNES one. It's pretty easy to emulate the PS1 game, and I don't think the GBA one would be hard to find on ebay (assuming your DS even has a GBA slot).

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

I have another question, I want to play some Harvest Moon on my PSP. Should I just rip and play the PS1 version of Back to Nature on it, or should I get the Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl port? Or should I get this new leaf valley game?

I hear that Back to Nature is one of the best ones out there. But I have never played it so I know absolutely nothing about the load times.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
^^BTN is a good game, but you have to remember that HM games used to be all about cramming as much as possible into each 2 minute 15 seconds of a game day. It has a lot of items and playability compared to the N64 version, but having to dink around with the save system and waiting 10 seconds between each screen of the map takes too long. Or maybe I was just a really impatient kid, haha!

The GBA games were pretty good (Friends/More Friends of Mineral Town) and have a lot of features, the N64 version will be difficult to find and/or expensive but it's my personal favorite, and you can snap up the SNES version on Wii's virtual console for $8.

I haven't played 'HM cute' or 'Sunshine Islands', but the other DS games are pretty clunky, buggy, enraging, etc.

Also, this thread needs more pictures! Here is something dumb I drew a year ago that sums up my feelings about IoH:

and I can't recall where this is from (a LP?), but it makes me smile because it's the truth.

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 10, 2010

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

See if you can find any info about the load times for the port. I've been thinking of picking it up since the load times were absolutely infuriating on PSX; if there was a substantial difference I think it would be worth it. Hero of Leaf valley has been getting some pretty good reviews too.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyPjS17Z00U&feature=related

Here is a gameplay vid of the PSP port HM Boy & Girl/BtN and it looks like they addressed the loading screen issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3r7ioQGGY

And here is BtN for comparison, check around 1:47 for the loading time to just leave the house.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
I really wouldn't mind trying out this series properly. I have a DS, is it worth waiting for Grand Bazaar or should I just jump right into Sunshine Islands?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I'd honestly just start with the SNES game. It's the first, it was released before feature creep started kicking in and adding in lots of unnecessary stuff, it's really well done, and a great way to start playing the series and see why people got excited about it in the first place.

edit: And after that I haven't played it, but I've seen really high praise for Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life for the Gamecube and PS2.

A Wonderful Life was the first HM game I actually regretted purchasing and traded in. It was just terrible.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Adam Bowen posted:

A Wonderful Life was the first HM game I actually regretted purchasing and traded in. It was just terrible.

That's strange. I have no experience with the game myself, but the few HM fans I've talked to said it was their favorite. What didn't you like about it?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
The PS1 version (Back to Nature) is hands down the best one of the series for me. The only one that comes close is Harvest Moon N64, and it had all the same characters- hell, it used all the same sprites! The PS1 version expanded upon most of the concepts of the N64 version without railroading you like the later ones. It never felt like a chore, and it was a lot of fun every step of the way. After playing the N64 version for so long, it was fun seeing the same sprites being totally different.

The thing that really bothered me about the later HM games was that they turned things that should have stayed in optional sidequest territory and made them the main accomplishment of the game! Instead of inheriting a farm to be successful and explore, your primary goal was to un-statue the harvest goddess, or save the town, or some other dumb poo poo that you accomplish by doing all the things you would want to anyway. The thing that sucked about that is now it was a required thing, and made it completely un-fun. With a deadline, it was a chore, not an adventure.

I dunno, I haven't played a recent one that I have liked at all.

Chu Chu posted:

^^BTN is a good game, but you have to remember that HM games used to be all about cramming as much as possible into each 2 minute 15 seconds of a game day. It has a lot of items and playability compared to the N64 version, but having to dink around with the save system and waiting 10 seconds between each screen of the map takes too long. Or maybe I was just a really impatient kid, haha!

The longest load time I ever remember was, like, three seconds. :psyduck:

Chu Chu posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3b3r7ioQGGY

And here is BtN for comparison, check around 1:47 for the loading time to just leave the house.

Goddamn nostalgia. :psypop:

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 10, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My personal favorite was Harvest Moon Game Boy Color 2. Just the right mix of having things to do if you want to while focusing on the farming.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I played Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town ad infinitum, and then tried to upgrade to Harvest Moon DS.
I'm pretty sure I started getting a bit ridiculous with DS, because I ended up with some millions gold at the end of my first Spring, then going "oh, nevermind" and never playing it again.
I think I'm still on Spring 28th or so. I should... probably do something with that.

But, dang, I have spent enough time in the mines to make my eyes fall out. Was the whole "make excessive amounts of money from mining and gambling with Harvest Sprites" thing one of the things fixed in DS Cute? Because I'm a little bit interested in it, but I feel wary of all new Harvest Moon games after becoming so thoroughly disenchanted with DS.

Hug in a Can fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Aug 10, 2010

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Rune Factory II is easily the best HM. FoMT & N64 HM are tied for 2nd place.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

Hug in a Can posted:

But, dang, I have spent enough time in the mines to make my eyes fall out. Was the whole "make excessive amounts of money from mining and gambling with Harvest Sprites" thing one of the things fixed in DS Cute? Because I'm a little bit interested in it, but I feel wary of all new Harvest Moon games after becoming so thoroughly disenchanted with DS.

Other than being the girl version of the first DS title, Cute fixes every game-impairing bug as well as adding little touches like being able to pick which version of farmer you want to be, clothes to wear, and random events.
Aside from that the latest copies of plain vanilla DS have been released glitch-free if you do not want to play as a girl.
I should add the european release of DS is also glitch-free.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Animal Parade for Wii actually reminds me a lot of 64 and FoMT. The characters are interesting and often kind of depressing and there is a poo poo load to do. Also your character and their chosen girl/boyfriend can push their giant lego heads together and kiss at the end of romantic dates.

Plus it's got costumes and clothes and stuff to wear and the festivals have shops to buy things.

It's my favourite I think.

also there's a wizard!!

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

The Joe Man posted:

Rune Factory II is easily the best HM. FoMT & N64 HM are tied for 2nd place.

Only because they're taking so drat long to translate Rune Factory 3! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Tesla was right posted:

Only because they're taking so drat long to translate Rune Factory 3! :argh:
Yeah, I'm super looking forward to RF3. I tried out the Japanese version and engine-wise they fixed absolutely everything and it feels so much smoother now. They redid the animations and movements and everything to go from "Ok I guess for a farming game" to "Standard for, say, a Zelda title, tweaked for combos and farming".

• Locked thread