Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So how does Animal Parade stack up against Tree of Tranquility?

The load times and buggy-ness killed ToT for me. Every five steps...LOADING.... and the game ending crashes. I sent it off for a replacement and haven't touched it since I got it back (They did send me a cow sticker, which I thought was nice :3:).

Is Animal Parade any better with the load times and just general presentation? ToT felt...sloppy.

I guess what I'm really saying is, if I loved SNES Harvest Moon to death, is it worth trading in ToT for Animal Parade or should I just get the Virtual Console Harvest Moon and forget the sequels ever happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I had to make maps for the FOMT lake mines. I also had to keep a .txt with my cow and chicken statuses.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So is anyone picking up Grand Bazaar? Is it worth it? I thought it sounded pretty interesting, and a step in the right direction after IoH/SI.

Plain Cheese Pizza
Aug 26, 2006

Sssh! They might have daggers...

Shinjobi posted:

So is anyone picking up Grand Bazaar? Is it worth it? I thought it sounded pretty interesting, and a step in the right direction after IoH/SI.

I just started playing it and have found it alot more tolerable then SI/IoH.

The fact that you can do a double jump in this game makes it infinitely better to me for some reason.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Lobster Fancy posted:

The fact that you can do a double jump in this game makes it infinitely better to me for some reason.

I never thought I needed a jump in a harvest moon game, but apparently I did. I like that it lets you take shortcuts to and from the main town. The controls are really different from the other DS games, but I like it now that I'm used to it.

Don't know much that because I only just finished my first bazaar. I spent my profits on a chick so now I'm dirt poor again. I also sold all of my flowers so I didn't win the flower festival. :saddowns:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Lobster Fancy posted:

Yeah, it can pretty much be summed up as a "Island" game that doesn't suck.

Though I'm torn on which Bachelor to marry. They're all so plain. :geno:

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Yeah, a friend of mine is a big fan of Harvest Moon, so I borrowed his Cute, SI, and Bazaar. I played the first 20 minutes or so of all of them and Bazaar is by far the most solid, at least in the beginning. Having run as a toggle alone makes a huge difference, but everything just seems to fit together way better. Agreed on the jump, too. I never knew I needed it until I had it.

There's a big difference with seeds, too. Instead of the standard 3x3, each seed bag only drops one square of seeds.:wth: It's been so deeply ingrained that I hadn't even considered it as an option, but it actually works better. No more will you have that one interior plant you can't get to and now it's much more efficient to make proper crop lines.

One other thing that people might not have noticed is that if you hold a direction while doing a tool task, you'll move a square's distance in that direction. It's a little finicky, but once you get the timing down it makes doing repetitive tasks way easier. This was even more useful when I noticed you could do this sideways, allowing you to crab-shuffle across your field. Since walking on crops lowers their quality, this seems pretty important.

I've actually gotten engaged in Bazaar, which hasn't happened to me for a HM game in a long time. I'm probably going to actually buy this one.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Can someone explain to me why in the year 2010 we're still restricted to 6 character names?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Can someone explain to me why in the year 2010 we're still restricted to 6 character names?

The day we break the six character limit is the same day Phoenix Wright games get multiple save slots. :argh:

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Ha! Tree frogs count as insects in Bazaar. :v:

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
I think my favorite thing of all time about Bazaar is that you can drop things and they don't immediately disappear forever :v: I don't know if that was ever in another game, but it's the first for me.

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
The one thing Bazaar needs is an option to speed up time. Waiting around for all the city people to get home from work so I can give them sweet, sweet gifts is bullshit.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, and another thing, I guess it's perfectly OK to walk all over your crops now. Running on them can decrease their value, but walking on them is just fine. Just fill up entire fields, now.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

DiscipleoftheClaw posted:

The one thing Bazaar needs is an option to speed up time. Waiting around for all the city people to get home from work so I can give them sweet, sweet gifts is bullshit.
Yeah, I thought that I'd be able to waste an hour or two going into the bathroom/bath, but they only take a few minutes. I'm not even sure why the bathroom is there, since they both take the same amount of time and the bath restores more stamina. Or maybe I was just crazy and missed the time skip.

Oh, and another thing, I guess it's perfectly OK to walk all over your crops now. Running on them can decrease their value, but walking on them is just fine. Just fill up entire fields, now.
Are you sure? It sounded like the mayor meant stepping on them at all would decrease their quality.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zenzirouj posted:

Are you sure? It sounded like the mayor meant stepping on them at all would decrease their quality.

Positive. Press L to toggle it, they'll turn red and make the crunch sound when running, but don't when walking.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well poo poo. I guess it's even easier than I thought. Time to fill up the field completely, I guess!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Biggest breakthrough since the SNES game right here folks.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Haha, I guess this is better but I really liked the fact that in FOMT you could make huge squares of crops once you had a big enough watering can, but the renewable crops meant you had to get Harvest Sprites to collect vegetables for you. Maybe I'm weird.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying Bazaar. I still do wish there was a fast forward option, but I started listening to my podcasts while playing, so that's something.

I found a few guides and such that give some good information:

http://harvestmoon.neoseeker.com/wiki/Harvest_Moon:_Grand_Bazaar - basic gift giving guide, good recipe guide

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/111/1116041p1.html - lots of general info

Here's some tips and such that I've found:

- You can water crops twice a day! Wooaaah! Your watered crops will start going dry again about 10 hours after you water them. The IGN guide says twice daily watering increases crop quality. I have my doubts. I just grew potatoes, and I watered them twice AND gave them fertilizers every single day. In the end, I got one and a half star crops, instead of half star. I would have expected a little higher quality there.

- Speaking of, fertilize your crops! I don't understand how much it helps, but in the mean time, I'll just continue doing what I did with my last potato crop.

- When starting out, you can supplement your sales with flowers, they give a decent enough price. Insects aren't worth poo poo, though.

Huh. Thought I had more to say.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I imagine this is a lack of effort in recoding internals when doing translations.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

Revol posted:

- Speaking of, fertilize your crops! I don't understand how much it helps, but in the mean time, I'll just continue doing what I did with my last potato crop.

Yeah, I don't quite get the fertilizer mechanic yet. I think it only counts per growth cycle, so fertilize once for seeds and once for sprout. Pretty sure the mayor said something about that. I'm thinking that higher grade fertilizer is the way to go for more than 1.5 star crops, not excessive fertilization.

It's really messing with my head how much is different in this game: weeds are useful, you only get one new tool per week (if you can afford them), you don't seem to need wood or stone to build (I didn't need anything but money to expand my storage, at least), wood + grass = fertilizer at the first windmill, etc. I'm going to keep hoarding stone because I'm paranoid I'll need a bunch of it for construction, though. I probably won't get too much into fertilizer-making until later, so I'll keep hoarding wood for the same reason.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Fertilizer making seems to only be useful for making high ranking dishes. One combination of weed and branch makes one fertilizer, which is only good for one square.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Zenzirouj posted:

There's a big difference with seeds, too. Instead of the standard 3x3, each seed bag only drops one square of seeds.:wth:

That sounds expensive.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Zenzirouj posted:

you don't seem to need wood or stone to build (I didn't need anything but money to expand my storage, at least)
Material stone and wood are used when you upgrade some of your tools in the third windmill. So far I've only seen one stone/wood required per tool, and since you can find at least rock or branch a day you don't need to hoard them for that purpose.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Corridor posted:

That sounds expensive.

It balances out. The only difference is that you're dealing with smaller fields overall.

Grand Bazaar seems really neat so far. Lots of little differences, a few big differences, and it's pretty refreshing and not horribly broken. Probably the best HM game on the DS so far.

edit: Dumb question, how do I talk to my chickens? I can pick them up and get the bonus for that, but I can't figure out how to talk to them, so they end up pretty stressed out sometimes.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Aug 28, 2010

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

edit: Dumb question, how do I talk to my chickens? I can pick them up and get the bonus for that, but I can't figure out how to talk to them, so they end up pretty stressed out sometimes.

Apparently you need to use the stethoscope on them, which appears at Felix's bazaar stand after you get the axe. Or the bell, I forget which.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 28, 2010

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
oh poo poo new HM game! I gotta check this out.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Argggg, I wasn't paying attention and planted 25 turnips 3 days before the end of Spring. I guess my dumb rear end didn't need that 3000 gold :sigh:

Edit: On a less stupid note, has anyone found a use for those coins you find in the ground?

Edit 2: Well, I'm not completely screwed for the next bazaar at least. The mayor gives you a fishing rod on the first day of summer (though I had to go in and out of my house a couple times to trigger it). Guess I'll try cooking every fish I find to see if any are simple recipes.

Zenzirouj fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Aug 28, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Wandering Knitter posted:

Though I'm torn on which Bachelor to marry. They're all so plain. :geno:

Apparently you unlock an Arab boy in Winter if you're into something more 'exotic' :pervert:

But yeah I'm kinda thinking I might restart as a boy so I could woo that bitchy bluehaired girl or the asian chick in insane dresses.

Okay, been playing for two whole ingame days now! Thoughts:

- The old ladies in the town make some loving creepy sounds

- Arrgh why are all items such different qualities, I have like ten of each flower and they're all half a star off and don't loving stack :argh:

- Oh god this sidestepping thing is insanely useful, working the fields is almost fun now. I can never go back to other HM games after this

- Holy hell, you can pick that suave rich kid as a husband OR his baby brother? :psyduck:

- WHAT THE CRAP TIME PASSES INDOORS WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT

Question: how I mine for fish? Also how do you catch bugs and frogbugs?

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Corridor posted:

Question: how I mine for fish? Also how do you catch bugs and frogbugs?

Unequip any tools you may have, and press B when you are next to one. If it flies, you have to jump to catch it.

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009

Corridor posted:

- WHAT THE CRAP TIME PASSES INDOORS WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT

It's also

WHAT THE CRAP TIME PASSES ON THE ITEMS SCREEN WHAT THE FFFFFFFFF

The only way I've found to actually pause the game is to trigger a text box either by talking to someone or looking at the calender or some poo poo.

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you get anything for befriending all the villagers or is it enough to just get the hearts of the bachelor/ette and his/her family?

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Are there actually plots that are followed in the series, or do you basically just follow a normal time line of life (get a farm, get married, have kids....)?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

PotU posted:

Do you get anything for befriending all the villagers or is it enough to just get the hearts of the bachelor/ette and his/her family?

Dude, it's just out. Even fogu.com doesn't have that much info yet.

rear end Crackers! posted:

It's also

WHAT THE CRAP TIME PASSES ON THE ITEMS SCREEN WHAT THE FFFFFFFFF

The only way I've found to actually pause the game is to trigger a text box either by talking to someone or looking at the calender or some poo poo.

Yyeeaaaah, I popped that screen up and went to get a sandwich and when I come back it's like 5am and my crops are dried. Closing the DS seems to work though.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Hard to pick a girl to marry, probably either blue haired bitch or the longed haired city girl.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
My biggest complaint so far is getting the cow back inside the barn. It seems if you push it in the barn's direction at night, it'll go inside on its own. But if you don't stay up long enough, then it will want to stay outside, and it gets very hard to push into the barn. Hell, I'm worried that means it hasn't eaten enough.

I'm gonna hold off on cow purchases until I can afford three more. Then I'll just buy them all up then, and then I'll be able to buy a dog. I read the dog herds cattle and sheep.. hopefully that includes bringing them inside?

Maerlyn posted:

Unequip any tools you may have, and press B when you are next to one. If it flies, you have to jump to catch it.

You don't always have to jump, sometimes they'll be so low to the ground that you can pick them up without jumping.

Apocadall posted:

Hard to pick a girl to marry, probably either blue haired bitch or the longed haired city girl.

Yeah, I'm picking the latter, Freya. She's a bit easy to play for because butterflies are a +150 FP gift for her, and then once you get good enough to make Superb Cheese, you'll have a +500 FP gift ready.

And it helps that her name is the name of a heavy metal song and of the Norse goddess of "love, beauty, fertility, gold, seiğr (witchcraft), war, and death". Finally, she has no relatives in town, meaning nobody else needed to befriend to hitch her.

The blue-haired girl is a prissy bitch, the blonde is a lowly servant, and the Japanese girl sounds incredibly hard. The only other option is the red-headed girl.. while she's boring, her +800 FP gift is Herb Salad, which I believe is very easy to make, and then all of her +500 FP gifts are pickled anythings.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Another stupid question: how do I prepare tea? It's the tea festival and doing anything with tea in the kitchen isn't working.

Ijuuin Enzan
Oct 28, 2006
More fun than dryer lint.
Don't have the game yet, but going solely on HM instincts, do you need to buy some sort of tea set off the shopping network?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Another stupid question: how do I prepare tea? It's the tea festival and doing anything with tea in the kitchen isn't working.

First, you need to ferment it in the first windmill. This gives you a product of tea in a can. Then, you cook it in your kitchen, which gives you the final cooked product.

There is no prerequisite tools you need to cook tea, or at least not the basic green tea that you get before the tea festival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Just put it in the windmill at your farm (it should be open by now) and simply make it into canned tea. Tada!

e: Beaten. Well, then I'll add that you don't NEED to prepare the tea for the festival. Just hand the can over to the Mayor.

I'm having a ball selling stuff at the bazaar. Though I wish I could have more control of it. I should be able to triple the prices of flowers right before the flower festival, or sell my out-of-season crops for a comically large profit! In fact I kinda want to play a game where I'm just selling stuff. :v:

And I think I'll marry the 'mysterious' Prince guy. Though Ivan's not that bad in a girly sort of way.

• Locked thread