Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Also what the hell do you do with Yams? There's a "complete" recipe list on the fogu forums that doesn't even mention yams, and they sell for poo poo money.

I'm pretty sure there's a windmill thing for yams.

Edit: Nah, just pickled yams. That's a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Well, you can cook yams on their own to make them worth a little more. That might be something I can do because of my pot, but I'm pretty sure it's just a basic recipe. Doesn't seem to be anything to do with my yellow peppers, though...

These olive trees I planted should be great simply for the olive oil. Though now that I think about it I'll probably need vegetable oil to make olive oil for some silly reason, just so I can't be kind of self-sufficient.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Zenzirouj posted:

These olive trees I planted should be great simply for the olive oil. Though now that I think about it I'll probably need vegetable oil to make olive oil for some silly reason, just so I can't be kind of self-sufficient.

Yeah, pretty sure it requires oil. I wonder what the return is like on poo poo that requires you to buy ingredients like that?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Generally, any sort of addition seems to result in something that's at least worth a little more than the combined ingredient price, but I haven't really tested. For the most part there don't seem to be any super-profitable things that are just "the right choice." I'm guessing that most of the good profits will eventually come from high level farm animals and high level crops that you can keep around by using the seed windmill. I'm also assuming that there will eventually be mining of some sort, which should give some valuable items given the prices on Lloyd's poo poo.

I wonder if this was their solution for a lot of the silliness they had in the other games. I remember some seeds being several times cheaper than other seeds and they end up selling for more than those other crops, turning the game into a process of elimination to find the best crop. In the first Rune Factory, they completely hosed up their own game right off the bat by having strawberries. They sold for a really high price, regrew, and were plantable in the first drat cave you get. It wasn't even some obscure tactic, as far as I can tell they expected you to do it and render the rest of the game pointless. You just plant them there and they stay alive forever, giving endless profits. Then you could fertilize them, increase their sell price, turn one strawberry into higher level seeds, sell off the rest, and continue the process until you have 12 strawberry plants pumping out berries worth more than their weight in gold every 4 days. That game was retarded.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

What the poo poo happened to the cow festival? It said COW FESTIVAL IN SQUARE AT NOON so went down to the square at noon, and it was just a normal sunny day. People were milling about and Felix was in his house, and when I talked to him he told me that his house is high up. And the festival didn't happen. Is it because my cow is still a little cow? What, so because I'm unable to enter, the entire festival gets called off?

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

I just started playing Grand Bazaar. drat, the characters are ugly as gently caress and all look like children. TV has way nicer sprites. :( And not having a shipping bin is annoying. I drew a rendition of the Jaws poster on that board on my farm, though, which made me happy. I'm only a few days in, but so far I like TV a lot better...

I dunno, I really like having the farmer's market instead of a shipping bin. It makes the act of selling your crops so much more rewarding. And immersive, as far as this goes. Plus removing double-jump and run-toggle just seems cruel and ridiculous. I do like the TV look better than the GB toddlers though. Are the villagers any more interesting or insane?

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Corridor posted:

What the poo poo happened to the cow festival? It said COW FESTIVAL IN SQUARE AT NOON so went down to the square at noon, and it was just a normal sunny day. People were milling about and Felix was in his house, and when I talked to him he told me that his house is high up. And the festival didn't happen. Is it because my cow is still a little cow? What, so because I'm unable to enter, the entire festival gets called off?

Sure, they don't even hold the dog festival if you don't have one yourself.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆

Corridor posted:

I dunno, I really like having the farmer's market instead of a shipping bin. It makes the act of selling your crops so much more rewarding. And immersive, as far as this goes. Plus removing double-jump and run-toggle just seems cruel and ridiculous. I do like the TV look better than the GB toddlers though. Are the villagers any more interesting or insane?

The villagers in TV are... not really insane, except Howard and the old dude who dresses as a panda. Apparently Michael has a mysterious background or something, but I only have him at one flower (black heart) so he doesn't tell me anything very interesting. And the Mexican stereotypes are back, speaking grammatically-dodgy Japanese.

GB chat. Why can't Marian be a bachelorette? Now that I've had a few bazaars at least the game's a bit more fun for me. Levelling up your crops is miles easier, too. Can you upgrade your hoe or something to plough furrows like you can in TV? It makes watering crops so so much less tedious!

In the next game they really need to bring back showing the villagers on the map.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
So where is everybody at in Grand Bazaar? I just reached year two. I've got four cows (Bessie is at full hearts churning out 5 star milk), a chicken, three dogs and two fields with four trees. Freya is at a green heart.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Why can't Marian be a bachelorette?

That was one of my very first thoughts when I started the game. A super-fine blond with short hair? Sign me the gently caress up!

And no furrows. Upgrading the hoe makes it plow more squares. Although this time, the first upgrade, when you jump (which increases upgrade effectiveness in hoe and water can), it plows a four square shape of an upside down T.. you know, like that Tetris block?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

So where is everybody at in Grand Bazaar? I just reached year two. I've got four cows (Bessie is at full hearts churning out 5 star milk), a chicken, three dogs and two fields with four trees. Freya is at a green heart.

Still in Summer of year 1. Four chickens and a cow called Bossie. I also have a white kitty I named after my own dead black kitty because I didn't know you could actually buy black kitties in the game. :smith: Dirk is at purple heart for some reason, no one else is. I'm hanging out for Amir. Although Michelangelo is adorable in that "what a precious little sweetie" kinda way. I wanna pinch his cheek and give him a balloon.

quote:

That was one of my very first thoughts when I started the game. A super-fine blond with short hair? Sign me the gently caress up!

That cake on her head just seals the deal. Why isn't she a marriage option? Is it because she looks 17 instead of 7 :(

quote:

when you jump (which increases upgrade effectiveness in hoe and water can), it plows a four square shape of an upside down T.. you know, like that Tetris block?

...that is loving weird.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Revol posted:

And no furrows. Upgrading the hoe makes it plow more squares. Although this time, the first upgrade, when you jump (which increases upgrade effectiveness in hoe and water can), it plows a four square shape of an upside down T.. you know, like that Tetris block?

I'm still partway through year 1 fall, I have 2 adult cows, 2 baby cows, 4 chickens, a cat, two fields and with 3 trees, freya is at purple heart. My last bazaar I made 35,000 G, almost to the goal, but this next one is going to be weak because part of my field is unused. I was afraid I was dragging my feet but I guess I'm doing decent.

Also, I wouldn't do the jumping special moves with your hoe or watering can unless you're really pressed for time. They sap way too much stamina, much more than if you would water/plow the same amount normally.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I'm a little more than halfway through Spring of my second year, have three sheep and a lamb, two cows, five cats, two dogs, and an assload of chickens. Once summer (?) comes I'm planting onions everywhere so I can finally cook with all of my eggs. Shiitake is too scarce to make lots of egg custard, I only have two cows so I can't make a lot of omelettes or puddings, and boiled eggs take forever and probably don't sell for much more. So it's either egg soup or holding an Egg Day.

I hurried to get the second field so I could plant some trees in the first, and if you haven't planted a tea tree you should. Like, now. Put spring leaves through the farm windmill twice and you can make a tea (Macha, I think?) that sells for ridiculous amounts of money.

Finally, if you upgrade your can twice you can water 1x3 squares without jumping, which is much more useful than 1x2 on a full field. The special jump is 3x3, but you have to stand in the middle of the area you want to water and jumping hurts your crops so meh.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Corridor posted:

That cake on her head just seals the deal. Why isn't she a marriage option? Is it because she looks 17 instead of 7 :(

no it's because her favorite items are easy to get your hands on so obviously that would be cheating

Seriously, some of the high-FP gift items in this game are loving ridiculous. Like, "you won't be making them ever" ridiculous.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Yeah, I had a hell of a time with stamina on the first of spring this year. I had to eat several milks and poo poo to get all of my hoe and water work done.

Corridor posted:

One fact I read about her is that she has a 'fan club'. It is apparently common in Japan for attractive ladies to have a fan club following.

God I loving love you Japan. Never change.

endolithic posted:

I'm a little more than halfway through Spring of my second year, have three sheep and a lamb, two cows, five cats, two dogs, and an assload of chickens. Once summer (?) comes I'm planting onions everywhere so I can finally cook with all of my eggs. Shiitake is too scarce to make lots of egg custard, I only have two cows so I can't make a lot of omelettes or puddings, and boiled eggs take forever and probably don't sell for much more. So it's either egg soup or holding an Egg Day.

I hurried to get the second field so I could plant some trees in the first, and if you haven't planted a tea tree you should. Like, now. Put spring leaves through the farm windmill twice and you can make a tea (Macha, I think?) that sells for ridiculous amounts of money.

Boiling eggs loses profit, I already tried.

And yeah, I made sure to plant two tea trees, because I saw that there was a lot of potential there.

Revol fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 1, 2010

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
oops

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Maybe I'll chop down my peach tree and plant a tea tree in its place. I already have one, but I'm thinking that they'll be a pretty big cash cow, and I should plant more.

I don't have my DS handy, what seasons can you harvest from a tea tree?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Guys guys guys I'm "One step away" from the next bazaar upgrade!

Sure, I made 100k last session but that's nowhere close to 40k! :downs:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Actually, talking about Egg Day and all that, you know what I miss from the old Harvest Moon games? Power Berries. I really wish they'd bring them back, it was so fun collecting them and figuring out where they were hidden.

Some of them were really obscure, and it always felt good to discover them. Grow a weird plant on the mountaintop in winter, make friends with the Harvest Sprites and trade marbles for one, fish off the pier... they were great. I like well-hidden rewards a lot more than I like scripted bug-catching or useless "character development" random events.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I don't have my DS handy, what seasons can you harvest from a tea tree?

Off the top of my head, I think all but winter.

In fact, I think the tree makes different kinds of leaves depending on the season.

Revol fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 1, 2010

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
So if I come into some windfall and pick up a DS, is there a consensus on which title I should pick up first?

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I haven't played a Harvest Moon since the SNES. I just picked up Grand Bazaar on a whim. What do I need to know?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

king of no pants posted:

So if I come into some windfall and pick up a DS, is there a consensus on which title I should pick up first?

I would just try out Rune Factory 2 and Grand Bazaar. Which one first is up to preference, Rune Factory 2 has some action RPG parts to it while Grand Bazaar is the traditional harvest moon type game.

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post

I would just try out Rune Factory 2 and Grand Bazaar. Which one first is up to preference, Rune Factory 2 has some action RPG parts to it while Grand Bazaar is the traditional harvest moon type game.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
When they said don't litter they meant it.

I was wondering why the hell I was losing hearts and apparently you lose 100 FP for throwing stuff in the river according to the fogu forums. I lost 600 FP with everyone in 8 casts. loving boots.

Was this in the older HMs? Last I played was on N64.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So how's the first Rune Factory? I'm trying to pick out a game to take to PAX (for lines and stuff) and my brother has that or Atelier Marie that I might be interested in. I'd prefer not to spend some of my swag money on Grand Bazaar, but if Rune Factory and Atelier Marie both suck...

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

but if Rune Factory and Atelier Marie both suck...

I'm sorry.

I haven't actually played either, to be honest. But from every person who has played both RF games, RF2 is apparently much better. And I just really hate all of the Atelier games, and really every game Gust has ever made. So if it was me, I'd get something else, but it's not me.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
A lot of people are greatly enjoying Grand Bazaar.. I've seen a lot of people say it's the best DS game in the series yet. (Discounting Twin Villages, of course.)

Here's a few of the things a vet from the SNES game needs to know:

* Crops now have quality ratings, from half a star to five star. Higher the rating, higher the price it sells for. Crop ratings rise from using fertilizer and breeding your own seeds over time.

* All animals can graze outside instead of being fed in the barn.

* There is a large cooking and manufacturing mechanic to the game. GB uses Windmills to turn various items into other items.. like, Milk and Mint into Yogurt, one of my favorites. In the kitchen, combine crops and ingredients to make dishes.

* This one is special to Grand Bazaar: instead of the shipping bin, you sell everything on the weekend.

Beyond that, I think everything important is covered, or stays the same. You still give gifts to raise love interests. You still upgrade tools (well, two of them) to make them more useful.

But from every person who has played both RF games, RF2 is apparently much better.

Really? I thought I heard the opposite. I just tried to play RF2 before Bazaar, and I found it to be pretty disappointing. My main problem with it was that it holds back so much of the game until you have a child. I'm talking about tool upgrades, home upgrades, and the majority of monster hunting lands.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Apparently RF1 had some bugs or something. RF2 is pretty much universally approved as being better in almost all aspects. It also doesn't take that long to get to the second generation if you gun for it. If you're like me you'll end up doing everything you can first generation though so you have all the extra goodies and more money than you will ever need when you start as your kid.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

FredMSloniker posted:

So how's the first Rune Factory? I'm trying to pick out a game to take to PAX (for lines and stuff) and my brother has that or Atelier Marie that I might be interested in. I'd prefer not to spend some of my swag money on Grand Bazaar, but if Rune Factory and Atelier Marie both suck...

Rune Factory 2 is technically superior in basically every aspect.

I actually really liked RF1, possibly more than 2, but my tastes are, to be it mildly, odd. RF1 has almost no challenge and easy unlocks for everything if that's what you'd like. Otherwise go 2.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009

Dimix posted:

When they said don't litter they meant it.

I was wondering why the hell I was losing hearts and apparently you lose 100 FP for throwing stuff in the river according to the fogu forums. I lost 600 FP with everyone in 8 casts. loving boots.

Yeah, it used to be that throwing fish in the sea would make you lose hearts with all the bachelors in More Friends of Mineral Town, and since the rival marriages wouldn't happen if you had too many hearts some people used this as a quick way to get them all down to zero. Littering on the ground has always made you lose hearts with every villager, I think, but that might be different in Grand Bazaar now that items don't disappear when you drop them.

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

naptalan posted:

Yeah, it used to be that throwing fish in the sea would make you lose hearts with all the bachelors in More Friends of Mineral Town, and since the rival marriages wouldn't happen if you had too many hearts some people used this as a quick way to get them all down to zero. Littering on the ground has always made you lose hearts with every villager, I think, but that might be different in Grand Bazaar now that items don't disappear when you drop them.

The annoying thing about not littering was that there was only 1 trashcan in the entire span of Mineral Town. I believe if you threw trash in someone's house, only the occupants would be upset with you (for good reason!).

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

Really? I thought I heard the opposite. I just tried to play RF2 before Bazaar, and I found it to be pretty disappointing. My main problem with it was that it holds back so much of the game until you have a child. I'm talking about tool upgrades, home upgrades, and the majority of monster hunting lands.

Apart from being a far better game in terms of mechanics and system, RF2 has insane characters (and MAX DE SAINT-COQUILLE) and a protagonist I didn't want to punch in the face.

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
Has anyone played RF3? I wouldn't mind giving an RF game a go but don't know which one would be best.

naptalan
Feb 18, 2009
I've heard good things about it. It doesn't suffer from the slowdown in crowded areas that RF2 does and offers several small improvements like a difficulty setting for combat. But if you're on the fence about it and not a huge fan of the RF games to begin with, I'd say go with RF2 which is fairly solid.

If you do get RF3 though, make sure you give us a proper review when you've tried it out. :)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

naptalan posted:

I've heard good things about it. It doesn't suffer from the slowdown in crowded areas that RF2 does and offers several small improvements like a difficulty setting for combat. But if you're on the fence about it and not a huge fan of the RF games to begin with, I'd say go with RF2 which is fairly solid.

If you do get RF3 though, make sure you give us a proper review when you've tried it out. :)

I've got to add that if you're like me and you rush into marriage, you lose out on almost all of the quests for some reason (I guess once you get married the ladies don't need help anymore or something) which may contribute to my having 20% of the 100 thousand wood needed for the school after 3 years.

I'm able to make a ton of money monthly for no effort thanks to my monsters, but even if I leave my fields bare there's only around 20 wood to be gathered every day. Other then that, it's a great game, but I just don't want to put that much effort into progressing.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Awesome, I just found that I can buy cows fully grown. They're more expensive but I don't have to sit around shoveling food into their bottomless maws or shoving them in and out of the door each day for a month, waiting for them to grow up.

Now I still do that but I get milk.

And I just got a bell for my kitty. Watching it hurl that thing around is the cutest :3:

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Dimix posted:

Yea, it was. In fact, that's how I started out my original Harvest Moon DS game, by apparently pissing everyone the hell off by chucking poo poo on the ground. My rucksack was so small though! I think the mayor even walked up to me and said "hey, stopping throwing poo poo on the ground. No one likes you"

Anyways, I'm only at Summer 7 or 8, and bug catching is kind of silly. It took me a bit to realize I have to jump on cicadas, and I figure that's how it works for the butterflies that fly higher, right? Did I miss where they discussed that? But I made the first goal! Set down a Peach tree and planted some corn and tomatoes so I don't have to keep replanting things.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I should reexpand my storage again, or expand my stall. The last Bazaar I sold everything before 4, and the one before that I sold out by like 2, and both times involved selling a full rucksack of things, so I don't feel like I really need it, so much as I really need more cash generating items. Eggs and tons of food work pretty well though, so when I can finally harvest I'm going to be doing awesome!

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Fishylungs posted:

It took me a bit to realize I have to jump on cicadas, and I figure that's how it works for the butterflies that fly higher, right?

Yes. Although, if they start to fly higher than like.. above your head, then they're gone.

Corridor posted:

Awesome, I just found that I can buy cows fully grown. They're more expensive but I don't have to sit around shoveling food into their bottomless maws or shoving them in and out of the door each day for a month, waiting for them to grow up.

But when you buy a baby animal, they start out with two hearts! By the time they're fully grown, they're probably at three or four hearts.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Revol posted:

But when you buy a baby animal, they start out with two hearts! By the time they're fully grown, they're probably at three or four hearts.

Who cares, I can still sell that poo poo as herb cheese.

Oh, and to the person who swore blind that watering crops twice makes them actually grow slowly because the quality is higher, you're an idiot or an rear end in a top hat. And because I listened to you my pumpkins won't ripen in time. :mad:

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Does anyone know if there is some sort of method to ringing the bell at the bazaar? I am in Fall of year 1 and either I am having really bad luck or I am doing something wrong. What am I gonna do with 50+ roasted eggplants now? :saddowns: I have never been really good at Harvest Moon games but I love them nonetheless, and it seems like I should be able to get a hang of this one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't think there is, just spam it endlessly unless there's people buying something (which you should serve them and then start ringing again). It's completely random who takes notice of your bell and approaches your shop, so if there's a big crowd, ring it as many times as you can to get as many people in as possible.

• Locked thread