Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Kruller posted:

I'm in the exact same spot. I can't make pineapple juice even without the recipe, I can't get into Rune Prana, but I'm not quite strong enough to mess with Sharance very much. And I swear, every event involves Kiel. Go away, Kiel.

if you have wet boots, you can kind of poison and crit your way through at least regular enemies in Sharance very early on.

There is also a way to force memories to trigger, by taking amber and dylas into your party the night before one of the days for an event trigger, saving, sleeping, and then resetting the game until they both leave your party in the morning (which means you've triggered memories).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

dijon du jour posted:

You don't already have an event ongoing, do you? Only one event can occur at a time for whatever reason and that can mess things up. I had the bird event tie up my event slot for almost a whole season because for whatever reason I couldn't find one of the triggers. Check your diary it'll tell you any current events happening.

No, or well, random events keep triggering, just not either of those two that I want.

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...
I'm getting a lot of conflicting reviews, so I'll ask here.

If I want full blown Harvest Moon, I want Story of Seasons.

If I want RPG Farming Sim 2000, I want Rune Factory 4.

Am I wrong?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
That's correct. Some people prefer the older Harvest Moons to the recent ones (SoS being the most recent)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

FraudulentEconomics posted:

I'm getting a lot of conflicting reviews, so I'll ask here.

If I want full blown Harvest Moon, I want Story of Seasons.

If I want RPG Farming Sim 2000, I want Rune Factory 4.

Am I wrong?

This is correct. Story of Seasons has a lot of content locked behind time events that don't trigger until the second year and later. RF4 is better in almost every way as long as you don't mind some combat. That said, I still sunk 100 hours into SoS before missing quality of life elements like being able to buy seeds at max rank instead of the lowest rank you are stuck with in SoS sent me back to RF4.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kruller posted:

I'm in the exact same spot. I can't make pineapple juice even without the recipe, I can't get into Rune Prana, but I'm not quite strong enough to mess with Sharance very much. And I swear, every event involves Kiel. Go away, Kiel.

Savescum until you manage to tame a monster, or go whole hog and wear the rosary to go straight to the first boss and tame that (you want to tame a super high level boss eventually). Wear the pendant that boosts monster stats and ride the monster you tamed. Murder all enemies with impunity. The reason bosses are preferred is that they're immune to knockup, and knockup will knock you off the monster you're riding.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

What's the goon consensus of Harvest Moon A New Beginning? I got it for my bday and I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm curious how goons rank it. It's my first Harvest Moon game. I've never played anything like it except for maybe various Sims games and Animal Crossing. If those are even comparable.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Goobish posted:

What's the goon consensus of Harvest Moon A New Beginning? I got it for my bday and I'm enjoying it so far, but I'm curious how goons rank it. It's my first Harvest Moon game. I've never played anything like it except for maybe various Sims games and Animal Crossing. If those are even comparable.

Generally the main complaints people had with it were the extremely slow paced start and the unskippable cutscenes when the various vendors set up/tear down on the trade square. If those things don't bother you, its a pretty decent game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

In Story of Seasons is there... like... a point to the Helipack? I was hoping it'd be a mechanical solution to the horse/balloon/cannon quick travel stuff, but it just... kind of... hovers there.

Special Fertilizer doesn't actually prevent gold crops from wilting, so as far as I can tell it's completely worthless.

The Speed Down accessory set is pretty useful for getting everything taken care of quickly so you can take animals to the Safari. I can pretty much get everything done on all the fields and take care of requests before noon.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 1, 2015

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
The special fertilizer is supposed to build up the chances of it not wilting. Supposedly. I'm just going to hold out for the ferris wheel for golden crops.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Oh hey, a farming sim thread! I've been playing Rune Factory 4 and it's so cute. :3:

Just got my third field. Kinda tempted to leave it empty for critters to slowly add to my material and compost reserves, but I'm not sure how useful that actually is. I just hate having to track down huge amounts of mats when I need them.

Will monsters plink away at twinkle trees/dungeon flowers like they will with stumps and rocks? If I could fill a field with those and just restore the crops' hp once in a while, that'd be awesome. (Not that I have dungeon seeds yet, but I can get on that.)

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

mushroom_spore posted:

Oh hey, a farming sim thread! I've been playing Rune Factory 4 and it's so cute. :3:

Just got my third field. Kinda tempted to leave it empty for critters to slowly add to my material and compost reserves, but I'm not sure how useful that actually is. I just hate having to track down huge amounts of mats when I need them.

Will monsters plink away at twinkle trees/dungeon flowers like they will with stumps and rocks? If I could fill a field with those and just restore the crops' hp once in a while, that'd be awesome. (Not that I have dungeon seeds yet, but I can get on that.)

Pretty sure monsters leave trees alone. Honestly if you just want a lot of wood/stone, twinkle trees and dungeon flowers are your way to go. Grow a bunch of corn or clover, smash em until they're low, heal them back up, repeat. You'll never run out. It's tedious, but this IS a farming game.

I still can't get Memories to trigger. I have Dylas and Amber in my party, but Dylas leaves every morning. He doesn't start an event, he just leaves. It's getting real old.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kruller posted:

Pretty sure monsters leave trees alone. Honestly if you just want a lot of wood/stone, twinkle trees and dungeon flowers are your way to go. Grow a bunch of corn or clover, smash em until they're low, heal them back up, repeat. You'll never run out. It's tedious, but this IS a farming game.

Dammit, monsters. :argh: I don't mind some tedium, obviously, but if I get too caught up in it I waste a bunch of days forgetting to advance the plot or do whatever other thing I was gonna do. Ah well.

In the meantime the monsters playing in my empty field did add something like +25 to each of my materials in a single play session so I guess that's not a total waste.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

mushroom_spore posted:

Dammit, monsters. :argh: I don't mind some tedium, obviously, but if I get too caught up in it I waste a bunch of days forgetting to advance the plot or do whatever other thing I was gonna do. Ah well.

In the meantime the monsters playing in my empty field did add something like +25 to each of my materials in a single play session so I guess that's not a total waste.

I think I cleared about 50% of the Sharance maze and the only mucking about I did with monsters was getting a sweet mount.

Things are, and will always be, loving useless. Especially having experienced the glory of the uber-sprites in FoMT

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Gibbo posted:

I think I cleared about 50% of the Sharance maze and the only mucking about I did with monsters was getting a sweet mount.

Things are, and will always be, loving useless. Especially having experienced the glory of the uber-sprites in FoMT

Eh, they do a good job of clearing out stumps, rocks, and other debris when you grow giant plants.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Dirk the Average posted:

Eh, they do a good job of clearing out stumps, rocks, and other debris when you grow giant plants.

They also spare you from having to water all your stuff every day and they put fodder in the fodder bin where it belongs. And they give you free stuff. :kimchi: monsters. Even if I do wish they'd punch twinkle trees.

I usually take one pet with me when adventuring unless I plan to catch something. They're not game-breakingly amazing and if you have two of them (or one big monster) you can't see or interact with half the stuff on your screen, but it's fun.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh poo poo how long has Friends of Mineral Town been on the WiiU?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

mushroom_spore posted:

They also spare you from having to water all your stuff every day and they put fodder in the fodder bin where it belongs. And they give you free stuff. :kimchi: monsters. Even if I do wish they'd punch twinkle trees.

I usually take one pet with me when adventuring unless I plan to catch something. They're not game-breakingly amazing and if you have two of them (or one big monster) you can't see or interact with half the stuff on your screen, but it's fun.

Heh, I think we have different metrics for game breaking. Wear a water pendant (the accessory that boosts monster stats) and catch a high level monster. They absolutely wreck poo poo. For an even easier time, catch a boss instead (immune to most status effects) and feed it stones that boost critical hits every day. Eventually it'll critical on every attack, which ends up with hilarious damage.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Do monster buddies' crit bypass bosses' immunity to critical hits?

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I was clearing out some space to let my first golden turnip seed grow faster by not harvesting that section every day. I accidentally scythed the turnip. It was 90% grown. I decided to reload, since it was only a day before. Doing so triggered Memories! Now I have my best friend Death Wall in my barn, ready to rip the poo poo out of anything that doesn't absorb water. Also I guess Venti is back, too.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Yesterday, my brain woke up and went, "Omg. Harvest Moon." I was compelled to start a new game in SoS, this time as the opposite gender, because if I have two save files why not explore all the waifus/husbandos?

HM64 and Back to Nature remain my top HM games because of all the memories, but SoS is just so polished it easily earns a spot in the Top Three.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

sos is coming to loving europe finally!!!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So I really really liked Rune Factory 4, and want to know what else will be similar for my brand new N3DSXL.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

StealthArcher posted:

So I really really liked Rune Factory 4, and want to know what else will be similar for my brand new N3DSXL.

3 is good if you want to play a fun but less lengthy and bell and whistley version.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Chump Farts posted:

3 is good if you want to play a fun but less lengthy and bell and whistley version.

Cool, is SoS or Magna good to try at all? Kinda way outta the loop on anime farmer waifu games.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Cool, is SoS or Magna good to try at all? Kinda way outta the loop on anime farmer waifu games.

If you like the core gameplay story of season is like new beginning but sharp as gently caress.

It is a clean and crisp version of the harvest moon experience.

All the harvest moon games feel a bit stripped down after rune factory in my opinion though. If you like farming, animals, talking to normalish people, it has a lot to offer.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

story of seasons was kind of boring as a rune factory fan

lord of magna is trash, don't play it

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

It's a shame that HM64 hasn't had any kind of re-release.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Linnaeus posted:

lord of magna is trash, don't play it

Partial Octopus posted:

It's a shame that HM64 hasn't had any kind of re-release.

Didn't it get a wii vc release?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

someone, anyone, please make a new rune factory for me to play

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

Linnaeus posted:

someone, anyone, please make a new rune factory for me to play

The franchise is dead, Jim.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I enjoyed both of them, especially for when I didn't feel like combat and crafting.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Not Harvest Moon, but Fantasy Life for 3DS is an excellent game with a similar feel to Rune Factory.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 14, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gibbo posted:

Didn't it get a wii vc release?

It couldn't have because they lost all the source code iirc.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Jesto posted:

What do you guys think about the Stardew Valley showing off livestream that went up a few days ago?

http://www.twitch.tv/chucklefishlive/v/16319203

It looks like Harvest Moon SNES with shittier sprites?

The White Dragon posted:

It couldn't have because they lost all the source code iirc.

I can see that being a problem.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Jesto posted:

What do you guys think about the Stardew Valley showing off livestream that went up a few days ago?

http://www.twitch.tv/chucklefishlive/v/16319203

It's an almost certain purchase for me. Harvest Moon on the PC? Yes please.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Gibbo posted:

It looks like Harvest Moon SNES with shittier sprites?

There's also monster fighting in a dungeon-like-mine, so I guess it's more akin to if Rune Factory had an entry way back on the SNES.

It's also made by exactly one dude so, you know, adjust expectations and all that. You can be gay tho.

Actually, speaking of which, whatever happened to that free PC Harvest Moon-like game that was being released in installments, one season at a time? Google is failing me.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

EDIT:

READING COMPREHENSION

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElTacoGato
Oct 11, 2012

dijon du jour posted:

Actually, speaking of which, whatever happened to that free PC Harvest Moon-like game that was being released in installments, one season at a time? Google is failing me.

World's Dawn?

They're up to autumn now, it looks like.

I played a bit of spring back when it was the only season they'd released; wasn't terrible, but I got bored of everyone having the same face. Especially on the supposedly gruff, older male characters.

• Locked thread