Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah, the soybean thing is really useful because if you water them twice a day they tend to finish growing by end of season, meaning you always keep ahead of the festival curve.

Also, you really really want to be going hard for shipping $1 million by mid autumn. That unlocks cabin country which is the gate for the accessory combo that gives unlimited stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

On seedling mode, stamina really isn't an issue.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

There's a few things that don't unlock until like 5 years in so skipping a year or three isn't a terrible idea if you can stand the tedium. The only HM game I've made it to year three in is RF4.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
What should I be doing with Town Edit in SoS?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

hadji murad posted:

There are edit combos that do stuff like improve buying and selling prices as well as improving rep with the townspeople.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively, you make it look pretty! :sparkles:

Or ignore it entirely because all your effort is in your farm.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

hadji murad posted:

I don't think there are many (any?) combos you can do in the first two years. So just have fun with it.

Or strip the town bare and sell the parts for profit :v:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Honestly you should just make it look pretty. The actual combos take forever to actually achieve and are kind of worthless, since at best they increase the price of everything you sell to a specific vendor by 10G, and that really won't be making much of a difference.

Your farm and accessory combos, however, are really important and useful.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Maximusi posted:

I am sooo excited. I've never seen so much attention to detail. Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

This looks amazing and packed full of cool stuff, which makes me really sad for not really digging the art style.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Feb 4, 2016

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Kyte posted:

This looks amazing and packed full of cool stuff, which makes me really sad for not really digging the art style.

The fact that the maple or rubber trees being tapped aren't perfectly aligned in the video makes me worried about how deep the game actually goes.

If the person cutting the trailer is in charge of the game design and they can't be assed to align their Orchard, I don't see this as a good omen for the ui or actual quality of any subsystems that might be present.

:goonsay:

Let's hope I'm wrong

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Which Harvest Moon games/clones are actually good? I picked up that Wii game Animal Parade for my girlfriend and had to return it because it was completely unplayable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
As a general rule, the console Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games are either saddled with gimmicks that make them weird or unfun, or are just bad.

If you have a Wii U, get the GBA game Friends of Mineral Town from the VC (or More Friends of Mineral Town if you wanna play as a girl).

If you have a 3DS, get Story of Seasons for straight farming or Rune Factory 4 for JRPG anime harem shlock (or Fantasy Life for something vaguely similar minus the moe).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

As a general rule, the console Harvest Moon/Rune Factory games are either saddled with gimmicks that make them weird or unfun, or are just bad.

I really enjoyed Tree of Tranquility, RF Frontier, and RF Tides of Destiny. :colbert:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Tree of Tranquility and Animal Parade are basically the same game. Animal Parade is actually the better one so I wouldn't recommend Tree of Tranquility for FactsAreUseless.

I enjoyed Animal Parade a lot, but it is 8 years old now. Sadly I don't think there is a newer Harvest Moon console game.

PaletteSwappedNinja's suggestions are good. Except that Second Life doesn't have much in common with Harvest Moon in my opinion. Second Life is more like a game that is 90% MMO style crafting grinds. To its credit, it is a good version of what it is.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This is why video game opinions are worth so little. I did not enjoy Animal Parade and quit mid way, but I have replayed Tree of Tranquility with lots of satisfaction several times.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Other than just not liking some of the direct Terarria animations and legacy, Stardew Valley seems to be a decent HM clone. Here's hoping Co-op isn't just invasion of the assholes ruining your crop for no reason.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 5, 2016

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Other than just not liking some of the direct Terarria animations and legacy, Stardew Valley seems to be a decent HM clone. Here's hoping Co-op isn't just invasion of the assholes ruining your crop for no reason.

Good news! Starred Valley isn't releasing with co-op so that's not a problem! Multiplayer is planned to be added sometime after release. It looks like a good game though and well worth a try. Especially since its the only decent looking harvest-moon like for PC. There's even an SA thread if you want to see what other goons have to say about it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Which Harvest Moon games/clones are actually good? I picked up that Wii game Animal Parade for my girlfriend and had to return it because it was completely unplayable.

The only three I can really vouch for are:
1) Harvest Moon, basic but does it well.
2) Harvest Moon 64, still pretty basic but almost every townsperson had their own side stories going on. Lots of secrets to uncover.
3) Friends of Mineral Town, I only played the GBA version but it had the character progression and secrets of HM64 with some of the more modern, "minigamey" elements added.

I liked the Rune Factory games, but while I have fun playing them, I don't feel any compulsion to go back to them years later like I do with those three.

Crabtree posted:

It's supposed to be something where you both work together to fulfill a central goal, so I doubt it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Friends of Mineral Town is and always will be my favorite.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

LLSix posted:

Good news! Starred Valley isn't releasing with co-op so that's not a problem! Multiplayer is planned to be added sometime after release. It looks like a good game though and well worth a try. Especially since its the only decent looking harvest-moon like for PC. There's even an SA thread if you want to see what other goons have to say about it.

Said thread is right here! I mean right now "what other goons have to say about it" is basically what's here - that it looks cool and we'll be looking forward to gripping it on the 26th. The thread started more than two years ago and hasn't seen much activity given the low amount of promotional material that's come out for the game so far, so it's kind of an interesting look at 2 years of development response condensed down into only a 22 page thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LLSix posted:

PaletteSwappedNinja's suggestions are good. Except that Second Life doesn't have much in common with Harvest Moon in my opinion. Second Life is more like a game that is 90% MMO style crafting grinds. To its credit, it is a good version of what it is.

Look again:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Oops. I was talking about Fantasy Life, I just typed the wrong name. Sorry.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LLSix posted:

Oops. I was talking about Fantasy Life, I just typed the wrong name. Sorry.

Fair enough!

I mentioned Fantasy Life more as an alternative to Rune Factory than Harvest Moon, particularly because people are touchy about modern anime harem stuff.

I've also heard the new Dragon Quest not-Minecraft game actually plays more like a HM game but I haven't played it myself and have no idea if it'll even get an English release.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Return to Popolocrois has a release date: March 1 for NA (retail/eShop), February 16 for PAL-land (eShop-only).

Release date trailer (with no release date, g'job XSEED!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFJaLPS1dgQ

"Features" trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVnemiirDu4

Archived XSEED livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQA2W8S3JM

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i actually really don't like friends of mineral town at all, i just can't get into it. animal parade isn't bad, but it takes so loving long to actually let you into the core game that i can totally understand dropping it. i think harvest moon 64 is totally the best if you want a pure, simple harvest moon game. beyond that, magical melody is actually pretty good and serves as kind of an in-between for 64 and the later console entries. i have a real soft spot for a wonderful life, but it's the sloooooooowest harvest moon game ever, and that's kind of the whole point of it.

i haven't played rune factory 4 but rune factory 3 is fun and addicting as poo poo and handles the regular harvest moon aspects really well while also having a really good, simple action rpg side, and i imagine rf4 is pretty much the same thing. rune factory 1 kinda sucks though, it feels really slow and boring. rune factory frontier is alright, but its whole runey system can pretty much ruin the game if you don't just use cheat codes to remove it entirely.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

The Colonel posted:

but its whole runey system can pretty much ruin the game if you don't just use cheat codes to remove it entirely.think about it and break the game

Runeys were dumb but because they're so easy to exploit. If you don't min-max them it takes not much time at all.

The Colonel posted:

i actually really don't like friends of mineral town at all, i just can't get into it. ... i think harvest moon 64 is totally the best ..

They're like the same game except for not having free upgrades?

(The following is not sarcasm) What about FoMT puts you off? HM64 was my favourite game for a long time and Mineral Town felt like a great followup, with the added benefit of being portable. It didn't add too much dumb poo poo (although I can understand being annoyed with having to micromanage the gnomes)

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Feb 8, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

They're like the same game except for not having free upgrades?

(The following is not sarcasm) What about FoMT puts you off? HM64 was my favourite game for a long time and Mineral Town felt like a great followup, with the added benefit of being portable. It didn't add too much dumb poo poo (although I can understand being annoyed with having to micromanage the gnomes)

i'm not really sure exactly what puts me off, but while harvest moon 64 has pretty much always grabbed me, with friends of mineral town i stuck with it until the end of spring and i felt more frustrated playing it then i felt satisfied.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Colonel posted:

i'm not really sure exactly what puts me off, but while harvest moon 64 has pretty much always grabbed me, with friends of mineral town i stuck with it until the end of spring and i felt more frustrated playing it then i felt satisfied.

How often did you mine? The big profit-maker and road to upgrades in that game generally revolved around you mastering mining, and being able to manage your stamina falling down holes in the mine. I fished a lot in that game too, and bought a basket so I can bring it everywhere with me for mining and fishing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I want to go back and play More/Friends of Mineral Town, but I can't go back to the "If you throw something on the ground it's destroyed" life. I just can't do it.

Come to think of it, I never actually "finished" Back to Nature back in the day.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Allarion posted:

How often did you mine? The big profit-maker and road to upgrades in that game generally revolved around you mastering mining, and being able to manage your stamina falling down holes in the mine. I fished a lot in that game too, and bought a basket so I can bring it everywhere with me for mining and fishing.

i mined a ton, but was there some trick to it i just didn't get? it seemed like digging up stairs was just random. i never got to fish, because i kinda never entered the one house where the event that gives you the fishing rod occurs more than once out of not knowing it was the place where that event triggered, and the one time i did a completely different event triggered.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The trick is if you're looking to be as efficient as possible in your mining, you're saving at the start of every floor, alternating slots. If you find stairs, remember where it is and reload. Dig up the stairs using only one stamina. Repeat until you reach the floor you want. You're alternating slots because there's occasionally times where the level generation fails to create a stairs down.

Harvest Moon DS ups the ante by adding holes that will drop you up to a number of floors depending on which mine you're in and takes away the same amount of stamina (to a maximum of 100). You'll need to take these if you want to reach the end of the final mine, which has 65 535 floors and holes can potentially drop you 300 floors.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

i like the psone harvest moon because it looks like harvest moon 64 and has the same content as friends of mineral town on gba

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The Colonel posted:

i mined a ton, but was there some trick to it i just didn't get? it seemed like digging up stairs was just random. i never got to fish, because i kinda never entered the one house where the event that gives you the fishing rod occurs more than once out of not knowing it was the place where that event triggered, and the one time i did a completely different event triggered.

This may be apocryphal, but I always had luck finding stairs around the opposite side of where I came into a room in the mines. Read the tip on a random gamefaq. I can usually find stairs within 5-7 digs. Pair that with savescumming and you can get really deep quickly with minimal stamina loss to get the good ores and gems.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So popolecrios is a super cutesy Rune Factory or will there be hope for the right kind of goofy for some RAINBOW?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The Colonel posted:

Also to get the fishing rod, you need to have an empty tool slot in your bag as well. FoMT has lots of events so some might take priority, but you can still see it by going in again.

Pro tip: Bring a basket with you to a festival. Fish in the river till you run outta room since you have unlimited time in a festival.

Other tip, always confess to the priest at night, preferably for the friendship boosts. I forget what the other options give you other than the ability to marry the Harvest Goddess.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Is there a harvest moon that doesn't necessarily take an age to get a decent way onto it? I picked up tale of two towns over Christmas and it has basically consumed all my gaming time over the past month. Although I've enjoyed it, I'm still only towards the end of the second year and am reaching the burnt out stage. I know that these games are the definition of a time sink, but at this rate I am certainly going to run out of steam before seeing a fair chunk of it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Austen Tassletine posted:

Is there a harvest moon that doesn't necessarily take an age to get a decent way onto it? I picked up tale of two towns over Christmas and it has basically consumed all my gaming time over the past month. Although I've enjoyed it, I'm still only towards the end of the second year and am reaching the burnt out stage. I know that these games are the definition of a time sink, but at this rate I am certainly going to run out of steam before seeing a fair chunk of it.

harvest moon 64 and the rune factory games, though mostly 3, i dunno about 4

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I don't really have an answer for you, just as another person who's enjoying ToTT, yeah! :agreed: It's a lovely little game but it's sometimes so frustrating how set in stone the pace is

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Fantasy Life, $20: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=45631686

Harvest Moon Lost Valley, $15: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=45863126

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

The older ones are less time-locked, so Harvest Moon 64/Back to Nature/Friends of Mineral Town is the standard recommendation. Rune Factory 3 and 4 are also really good.

• Locked thread