Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
This has probably been tossed around several times in the thread, but I can't actually recommend Frontier to anyone in good faith and urge you to instead just buy Rune Factory 3. As much as I love HM and have been playing for many years of my life, Frontier makes it really hard to enjoy the game with micromanaging Runeys being so important. Rune Factory 3 is definitely the way to go, and I am on the edge of my seat for OceansTides of Destiny. My only gripe with RF3 is that nearly all of the marriage options have really awful personality quirks.

Though in Frontier, if you were to grow your bouquet as early as possible before your Runeys start to cannibalize themselves and force your crops into decay, I guess you could ignore farming entirely and it would be a complete non-issue. Then it just becomes a monster raising sim instead of a farming sim. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Mediant posted:

I started playing Rune Factory 3. I feel like an idiot though, because I can't figure out how to put things in the shipping box. What am I missing?

Set them as your held item and then throw them at it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Serenity Dove posted:

I'm picking up RF3 completely blind so is there anything I should know before diving in?

Start the game on hard and play that way for as long as possible, that way when you switch to normal (because eventually you'll have to unless you want to grind to level 70+ to comfortably clear the endgame) you'll stomp everything into the ground.

Don't let the character traits of everyone throw you off, all of them are pretty awful at the beginning until you get to know them.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

XboxPants posted:

So I know rune factory 3 is to be awesome, but I see that the first one is really cheap. Is it good to, or did it take them a while to perfect the formula?

It took a while. If you really have to spend money, buy both, play Rune Factory 1 until you want to kill yourself, then jump to 3 which is leagues better.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Vakal posted:

And that's assuming that your crops even grew at all since storms flattened them almost constantly in summer.

This is one of the things that kills me about RF3, farming wasn't really pointless but it did seem like they discouraged it heavily with year-round storms that would knock out a third of the plot or something. :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I convinced fellow goon Smashpro1 to buy Rune Factory 3 after telling him how addictive and insane the villagers are. He said he's getting sucked into the game, but I oversold the "insanity" of the villagers. I think he's wrong! Thoughts?

Everyone is increasingly annoying at the beginning of the game and it only starts to get enjoyable as they slowly endear themselves to you as you complete requests and what not.

E: actually not quite everyone, Evelyn starts out rather pleasantly and then devolves into crazy. :v:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 17, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Dana Crysalis posted:

How was the first Rune Factory Frontier? With Tides having been pushed back, I have been considering playing the first one to kill time, but I thought I remembered hearing it wasn't that great.

It's okay for the first Spring, after that you're forced to manage the runey population or crops will literally take weeks to grow. I don't really know what to compare it to, but it's complete poo poo.

Not as a huge strike against the game itself but some of the story progression events are also rather obtuse.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

So the original post says Rune Factory 3 is the best HM game ever. True story? I've always meant to try this series out but somehow never got around to it.

Yeah, pretty much. It is an amazing installment that provides almost every possible convenience and extremely fun gameplay between the combat and actual farming. There's a huge amount of things to do to keep you playing for weeks on end.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

So basically Tides is everything good about Rune Factory 3 and Frontier without the bad parts.

Hell yes.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

How does the Wii version of Tides control? What sort of motion gimmicks does it use?

Same as Frontier, the only actual motion control is shaking the nunchuck to knock on doors.

E: For anyone who sees this and starts playing Tides, DON'T take the Staff as your first weapon. It puts you at an incredible disadvantage against destroying both several varieties of monster spawners and a set of early enemies. Take one of the melee weapons, it will do you so much better. :negative:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 9, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

You get your first fishing pole (and subsequent recipes for) by fulfilling Joey's request for a wine bottle (500g at the Inn). You also get a Flame Staff as the proper quest reward, so that's further reason not to pick it up as your first weapon.

Drops are pretty uncommon, the game expects you to do a lot of farming to cover up the fact you have to do a ton of level grinding anyway to not get pulverized when you visit your next island.

Jocelyn (the character who comes from 'the mainland' every thursday/holiday) is a huge waste of time and money. She's not even a marriage candidate, and appraising things out of chests usually ends up with some kind of poo poo item worth less than the appraisal fee more often than not.

The first monsters you can recruit to actually grow crops are Ants and those weird Shooty Vine Flower things. Most other generic monsters will do harvesting (Goblins, Orcs, Mantises) for crops and the misc herbs/mushrooms/whatever that pop up on the island, the produce monsters (wooly, buffamoo, chickens) will do absolutely nothing while on the island. Once you get their friendship levels up, you'll want to buy a scythe to chop down the crops that persist after harvesting (tomatoes, etc) for a chance to have your monsters regrow something different.

My immediate recommendation is to get 3+ Buffamoo and Chickens ASAP (even if it means dying repeatedly) as you need 10k to upgrade your house which is necessary to even begin purchasing actual crafting workshops. Eggs are worth more than Milk but only because Chickens are found on the pirate ships filled with more dangerous enemies than on the Verde island with the buffamoo.

E: Something else the game doesn't explain is even when you first release Runeys onto the island to make them fertile, you actually need to release more to open up other planting points. So while the first island only requires 1-2 runey to activate, you've only restored a small percent of functionality.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 9, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Fairies are incredibly dangerous but so worth the effort. They're some of the best crop producers in the game it seems like, and also ridiculously powerful party members.

To generate a fairy, you need to find a Light-element monster portal in a shrine. Only certain portal spots will have a chance to be Light, so you'll have to enter/exit various floors until you run into one (an easy way to tell if it's the right kind of portal is that it won't actually spawn any enemies when you stand near it). Clean up every other monster and generator around it, and then go ahead and kill the light-element generator and the fairy should appear. Put some healing on your quick use and prepare to kite your rear end off with only your brush to fend off the high-speed explosives constantly flying your way until you've managed to win over the fairy.

This is pretty easily done in the Fire shrine as the very second generator on the first floor (the one in the middle of the pathways as you turn right from the first one) can be light-element.

E: I'd love some help in figuring out how to get recipes for loving anything. I've been doing every request possible and I haven't gotten poo poo for anything outside of cooking or carpentry. I literally have 0 pharmacy recipes, my only blacksmith recipes are fishing poles and katanas, the only time I got accessory recipes was when I cleared the first dungeon. Help how do I make things :saddowns:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 9, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Revol posted:

Have you checked the Thursday market?

House upgrades, Rune abilities, and scamming bitch Jocelyn.

e: I think it's because I never actually interacted with the public workstations before now, I just went through and got basic recipes.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Revol posted:

How do you unlock the purchases for house upgrades? All I have available is the storage upgrade, which I don't need right now.

"Other" for things like floor expansions and double bed.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Where do you get the pharmacy recipes? I've gotten the first level of most, and even had the workbench built in my house, but I can't do anything with it.

Also, after seeing the first friendship scene with violet, I've decided the main character is a jackass.

Complete Mikoto's request to check out the statue at sea. You will pick up a very important plot piece. After you develop (or resurrect it to use a proper word) it, go to the church and interact with the pharmacy station in the western most room in the church.

e: I've been informed that this isn't necessary and you can just immediately interact with the pharmacy, however doing it after the above point in the plot slightly changes the event.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Oct 10, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

So it seems like since items don't have levels, just a normal and better quality, keeping Buffamoo in your barn is completely pointless as you can just buy milk. It was okay early on for money but when you have things growing crops for you it seems totally worthless to keep around multiple for the <100g each they're worth. Same for eggs, though eggs are a bit more expensive than milk.

Has anyone found what produces lamp grass yet?

Emalde fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 10, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Finally, where the gently caress do I get a strawberry? That one request has been on the board forever.

1. I kill time by just going birds-eye-view on the ocean while riding Ymir after doing monster chores. It's a literal fast-forward button for the day.

2. Shrines.

3. Elephants from the Earth Shrine are the first thing that can grow Strawberries IIRC.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Almost through the main story in Tides, it's so addictive. Earlier I said staves are a bad first weapon and I stand by that, but I believe they are completely necessary for the third boss, who completely shits on you should you be anywhere near melee range. God drat that was a tough fight, even with a pretty hefty magic weapon and 3 elemental fairies.

This game is also extremely schizophrenic about when and where to get recipes. I was ignoring the repeatable "kill this monster X times" quests but as it turns out there are a bunch of recipes you get for doing several of those. :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Uncle Wemus posted:

How does Tides compare to RF3?

In what way? You'll have to list some categories because some things are better and some things aren't.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Hortism posted:

Can you still make a living by just doing request and dungeon runs?

Not really, no. Most of my money has come from crops and flowers. Cooking and crafting are also good alternatives because some basic recipes can generate infinite money (hot milk, handknit scarves).

Emalde
May 3, 2007

If you were able to stomach Frontier, Tides will be a fresh breeze.

The worst part about the game is a good chunk of it is locked away until you've "beaten" it (cleared the 4 main dungeons) to progress the story. You can't get married (E: though frontier also did this, tides does it in a more restrictive and annoying way) and your psuedo-harvest-goddess-stand-in disappears halfway through the first year.

Something else that's annoying is how recipes are handled. You specifically have to befriend every villager to get requests from them which may or may not reward recipes. A number of them come from quests that look like throw-away repeatable ones. Recipes are also in really stupid places sometimes (eg: the top level neck accessories are gotten from scoring 2nd place in the winter lottery).

Everything else about it is pretty grand though, I've sunk 50 hours into it and it doesn't look like it'll be ending for a while.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

How do you get the yarn ball recipe? I've gotten a good bit of accessory recipes, but not that one.

About the hot milk trick: It is only useful if you have RP to burn, which isn't always true. While it does get you free money, at my current level, I can do it about 18-20 times from a full bar, which nets me I think about 1k.

If you want to level up weapon crafting, the scrap metal recipes rock. Scrap metal is cheap, and there is a recipe for a chopping axe + 2 scrap metal that makes another chopping axe that can be used in the recipe again, and I think it is a level 20 recipe.

For weapons, befriend Sierra! You'll get a request were she will sell you sparklers around friendship level 1. They are amazingly strong dual swords, especially considering how early and cheap you can get them.

I'm still convinced the game wants me to play using lances. I managed to get 1st in the Spring lottery despite only having 2 tickets, and it gave me a lance Rune power that is worth 5k, and is basically a ranged attack (Stinger?) I really wish they had implemented some sort of online trading board.

1. You don't, buy them. You will be making handknit hats which will sell at a minor deficit until you can make handknit scarves, which sell for profit.

2. Buy ice cream from the inn with your extra money.

3. They are there specifically for forge grinding!

4. Yes.

5. 1st place for all lotteries is a rune ability.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Doesn't seem like it's become a perfect harvest moon game, and there's a few annoying issues (like recipes and can't marry).

I guess I wasn't really clear in my post, you can't get married until you've cleared the story (like in Frontier).

Fancy Hat! posted:

Frontier had a slower pace than the DS games, is Tides a little more quick? Also does the PS3 version look markedly better than the Wii? Thinking about picking this one up if I can find some games to trade in.

If you mean just being tossed into the thick of things, it starts out slow but then lets you float on your own for the most part.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Man, I kind of feel bad for what I did last night in Tides. Had accessories selling high on the same day the general store and inn had their monthly sale. So many scarves were knitted.

I can't assign any monsters to winter island. I've got Spring at 100% and winter at 10%, and I don't know whats up with not being able to place the ghost there.

Don't feel bad, knitting scarves is literally one of the only ways to grind accessories without ludicrous amounts of effort. You already make profit between buying yarn and making it into a scarf.

There should be 4 bars below the percentage on an island. Is there at least one orange bar on the winter island? You need to revive the island to basic functionality before you can store monsters there.

Also :drat: at the final boss. Tackling the Legendary Golem with your own Golem was too cool. It's just a shame you have to listen to the entirety of "SPIRIT OF LIFE, HEAR MY SONG~" through the fight instead of "AT THE START OF CREATION~". The Masked Man was a much better singer than any of the girls.
My tip is to actually stop and investigate whenever Sonja says "I think I saw something..." or "Did you see that light?!" while moving around on the ocean. You'll be glad you actually killed that 20th Squid when you reach the end game.

e: :sbahj: That wasn't even the final boss, the actual fight is ridiculous. It's also immediately obvious how it was going to turn out but poo poo

e2: :siren: Get all villagers to friend level 6 before going to fight the final boss :siren: This came completely out of left field but it's really god drat important all of a sudden. I wish I had known, but oh well :negative:

Emalde fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 13, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

So I haven't played enough to truly confirm this but it seems like there isn't any post-game content after destroying the final boss and finishing the final story event aside from getting married, managing crops, and finishing up your social ties with the non-main villagers.

This game was incredibly quick to deliver a swift kick to my nuts after I was able to start courting, as Mikoto (my planned bachelorette) immediately cuts off her hair to show the world that she is a girl and not a boy (????) and the haircut looks like absolute rear end once you reach Friend Level 7. Why do you keep doing this to me, Tides?! :negative:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

ApproachingInfinity posted:

Quick question on RF Tides; I'm getting the feeling that you cannot take any of the islanders with you to go kill monsters and such, is that true? I know you can take monsters with you, but it's just not the same. Obviously none of them will shout "RAINBOW" while casting completely useless magic, but it would be awesome to take 'em with me; even moreso since some of them actually wear equipment you give them. Bacchus will get the biggest axe I can forge and Lily can have the pumpkin head. For safety, you see. :eng101:

Nope, no human party members.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

I played the original Harvest Moon for SNES a long loong time ago and it seems the game has become kind of overwhelmingly iterated in the time since I played this last. As far as I remember the game was a "Cow-milking/Impregnating" simulator. How has the game kind of evolved (in brief please) since then and if I wanted to get in on one of these games which one should I hope into. Also whats the deal with this Rune Factory game, is there a competent one on the DS (because gently caress the 3DS).

Rune Factory basically trades out the intricacies of animal-raising for an Action-RPG system with leveling, stats, equipment and crafting. The best title is either Tides for Wii/PS3 or Rune Factory 3 for DS.
E: Rune Factory Frontier for Wii is also a really great iteration if you have a homebrew-enabled Wii so you can cheat the overbearing micro-management element that drives much of the gameplay.

The traditional Harvest Moon games haven't terribly changed much except for things being slightly more complicated and fleshed out with additional ease-of-life convenience systems. I believe the latest one is Twin Towns for DS.

Emalde fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 14, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

I Watson posted:

E: Nevermind, apparently you can give her a toy duck instead. I have yet to find any teardrops though. :argh:

Ducks drop teardrops. It makes sense when you think about it. :v:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Reive posted:

I'm personally thinking either RF:Frontier or RF:Tides of Destiny, I have played a little Frontier before and really liked almost everything about it (besides the runey system), but I'd like to hear thoughts and differences.

Go with Tides, it doesn't have the Runey system. If you have a means of using Ocarina codes on your Wii though, Frontier is totally worth the effort.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

What about Tides for Wii? It's essentially a less pretty analogue to the PS3 version, right?

They're exactly the same. Tides is also an amazing game, though it's pretty much the "shortest" (and close to the easiest) of the Rune games.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Palleon posted:

So in Tides, is there any trick to haggling? Does an increase in the skill make it more likely to succeed or increase the amount? At this point all I do is try to haggle 3 times, if it goes up, I sell, otherwise, I just cancel out to the main shop menu, hit sell again, and try again until I succeed. Seems like it's an interesting system but since you just randomly mash the stick in a direction with little to no feedback, and there's no penalty for trying until you make it work, seems a little tacked on.

You got it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Reive posted:

Also is there anyway to exploit the runey system?
I'm just lazy, I'll force myself to figure it out the right way if I have to though, speaking of lazy did this one have harvester monsters as well? I figure if I can harvest without wasting my time the runeys won't be so bad.

The only 'exploit' is a grass factory and that still takes time and effort to establish. There are harvester monsters in Frontier, but I don't think you're going to make much money from them if you can't keep the grass growing ( if you let runeys die out it won't grow :v: ).

E: If you have archives here is what people told me when I first got the game a couple of years ago (scroll down).

Emalde fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 21, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

eggrolled posted:

I'm not far in the game and have been avoiding spoilers, but it's no secret you get to choose to play as Sonja at some point. Do the skills and relationship points you build up earlier in the game carry over?

Yes. Everything does, from your stats to your relationships to your items.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Wee Bairns posted:

Dumb quick question: In Tides I need to get a strawberry, but I can only seem to grow "Large Strawberrys" on Spring Island, which don't count toward the collection quest. Where the devil do i get a regular strawberry, as the store doesn't sell 'em? Do I need to tame a specific monster or somesuch?

Your monster loves you too much and is producing large crops as a result. Just use a sickle to cut them down and replant sprouts until regular ones take their place.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

The Flying Milton posted:

Am I missing something by skipping the first two Rune Factory games and going right for Rune Factory 3?

A lot of painfully unpolished game mechanics and systems.

(No, not really. RF2 is okay but RF3 is still leagues better, and it's not like you have to play RF1 to appreciate Frontier at all.)

Emalde fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 6, 2011

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Yinlock posted:

All that's left is to do quests until I run out/get bored I guess. Still, was definitely worth the buy.

ToD's final boss fight is so good, it was incredibly well done (even despite the surprise mechanic to be found inside).

You still have to get married and/or play through again as Sonja afterwards though~ There's a lot more character development that happens after you clear the final boss and start courting.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

Question for the thread!
What would you love to see in a future Harvest Moon/Rune Factory title?

More significant character interactions. Frontier has such an amazing example of this with a single event related to Eunice (Confirming to her that she is fat when prompted after becoming friends will proceed to make her go on a diet and it completely changes her model and portrait as she loses weight) which, to this day, remains the deepest example of social interaction I can think of in any RPG. The sad part being that on its own it's pretty meaningless and not really a "deep" event at all, but the effect that it has represents an extreme level of involvement in an NPC's existence that RPGs just don't do.
:goonsay:

That's not to say that the games are necessarily bad about this, I constantly find myself surprised as to how the protagonist reacts in some relationship situations with the villagers in every RF title, but after Frontier gave me a taste of what could be done I find myself craving more events that are simply more involved.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Phuzzy posted:

If you barrel through it and get married right away like I did in Rune Factory 2 you'll kick yourself.

Well it was kind of important to do so in RF2, but that game stands out from the rest of the RF series in that regard.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Wandering Knitter posted:

I'm on my third playthrough of RF3 and I've only now found out that Yue sometimes shows up in the Inn to sell random items. :psyduck: Am I the only one who missed this?

Nah, I didn't know about it at all until someone in this thread pointed it out. She's extremely easy to miss if you don't go to the Inn much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Blorknorg posted:

Now if I could ask a question of the thread: I'll probably start Tides of Destiny sometime soon, and I'm wondering if there's any similar mechanic to the vegetarian pizza quest that I need to keep in mind. I don't want to read through faqs etc until I have to, but doing so is what made me miss out in AP.

The only super important thing to keep in mind (that the game doesn't make clear until way too late) is that you should be maxing out everyone's friendship. Everything else is given to you straight.

• Locked thread