Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Twin Villages looks amazing. I love this series but I'm sick of the excessive localization times. They're not even good translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Holy crap, I need to stop reading this thread. Every time a new Harvest Moon comes out I can't resist it :ohdear: So Grand Bazaar is good? I liked Sunshine Islands but so far nothing has come close to Friends of Mineral Town/Harvest Moon 64 for me. My two major problems with the Harvest Moon games I've played in recent years: the translations are so bad that the characters have no personalities, and there's never very many social events involving the characters (or all the events are the same), unlike FOMT/HM64 where unlocking the friendship events and stuff was a fun source of mystery.

Also I still have the sheep plush from preordering Magical Melody.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Corridor posted:

Wonderful Life had some pretty great characters (mad scientist who kept a mermaid in his basement, giant gay black artist, mentally retarded hobo, cute immortal evil chick, cyborg doctor in underwear, sleeping beauty, pyromaniac dwarf twins). Too bad all the actual games set in that town kinda sucked. :(

Grand Bazaar is kinda the opposite to me... loads of fun to play, but boring villagers. They seem a little better than the Islands and motherfucking Mineral Town though.
A Wonderful Life did have great characters, yeah. I could never get past the structure of the game, though. It felt like nothing unique ever happened until you got to a timeskip. If I remember right (holy poo poo it's been six years) it didn't have festivals, either. That's too bad about Grand Bazaar. I think you just helped fight off my Harvest Moon obsession until Twin Villages comes out in a decade.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Oooh. I'd be interested in any further impressions and details you can post, Concubine. How are the social events? Are the festivals fun? Are there lots of friendship/romantic interest events to trigger? What about the pacing? You said you're at the end of your 4th year, which is usually far beyond where you've already done everything in a Harvest Moon game yet you're still not married.

I'll miss the mine, but it's probably for the best. The mines in Harvest Moon games always get you 10x more money than the crops. It's ridiculous.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE posted:

Hell drat, that was a lot of words about a farming game.
Thanks! All of that sounds really, really awesome, and it sounds like it addresses my criticisms of recent Harvest Moon games. Can't wait for the English release in 2020!

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

personally I take harvest moon romance very seriously and create spreadsheets containing pro/cons of each candidate before launching a strategic gift campaign to min/max their affections and obtain their hand in marriage at the most convenient time for my crop rotation schedule

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Revol posted:

Is that how you approach love? With a spreadsheet?
it gives me time for what I truly enjoy about harvest moon

which are the messed up game mechanics that somehow make it into every release

I can't remember which harvest moon it was but one game gave your horse both love/skill statistics. one was how much your horse liked you, and the other was how good your horse was at racing. the problem here was that if your horse liked you a lot, it affected the races. i can't remember how, but you either got put in a higher race bracket or you got less money for winning or something like that. so it was to your advantage to have a skilled horse that hated you. my horse loved me. my horse loved me so much. until I went out to the stable before a big race with an axe.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Corridor posted:

This is awesome. Horrible but awesome.
So far the only messed up mechanic I'm aware of in this game is having to hurl your chickens/cats/dogs 5 feet or so each time you pick them up.
some other weird/awful stuff:

in A Wonderful Life, your wife can leave you. she decides to do this right in front of your confused kid, traumatizing him forever. pretty much all the divorce scenes in the series are great.

in Magical Melody, you can milk your wife.

if you repeatedly show Karen your dog in HM64, she falls in love with you. speaking of courting Karen, becoming an alcoholic and winning the New Years drinking festival is an excellent way to win her favor. I always drank a few hundred bottles of wine before the contest to build tolerance.

I can't remember which game, but one has a harvest festival where you can cook your dog in the communal stew. everyone likes it. I think it's FOMT where you can feed your dog anything, too, which leads to fun stuff like giving it chocolate. personally I raised mine on mayonnaise.

and then there's the ridiculous unlocked content. in FOMT if you stay married for 50 years you get a mountain cabin. in one of the early games for the original GB, there's no romance, but there's an odd event with the librarian where you bury a time capsule in like year 4 and agree to dig it up ten years later. playing until then gets you a small scripted scene.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

poo poo, thanks for that twitter link. I want a stuffed alpaca. I want a stuffed alpaca real bad.

I still have the pre-order sheep.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Will Tale of Two Towns have a lazy translation or the same translators as RF2/3? Or just totally different developers?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Mountaineer posted:

The DS version, yes. The 3DS version still doesn't have a release date. And even though I would love to have more than one game for my 3DS, honestly I see no reason to wait for it. It'll probably just be 3D-enhanced and cost 5 or 10 dollars more.

fake edit: While writing this post I went and looked up the version differences, and yeah they're pretty underwhelming.

quote:

The 3DS Version Has an Extra Petting Mini Game

Sounds like a pretty big difference to me.

I will probably purchase it just to have a 3DS game, unless it comes out way later.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I also loved Viva Pinata.

Admittedly, I've only liked two games in this series: Harvest Moon 64 and Friends of Mineral Town. Every other game I've played (and I've pretty much bought all of them), I either felt like the writing was terrible to the point where none of the characters had individual personalities (I don't even need more than flat characters, just distinctive ones!) or the gameplay was bad. I'm hoping Tale of Two Towns will change this. I like the art style, the translation will hopefully be good, and the gameplay seems great.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

It's always fun to start out with a dumb little shack on a patch of garbagey useless land and over time turn it into a lovely estate.
Yeah. Magical Melody was awesome about this, but the town people had no personalities.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Hows the translation on TOTT? Are the characters totally boring or do they at least have individual one-note personalities?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Midrena posted:

Natsume FB message:

Good news for those waiting for the 3D version.
Wait, this isn't good news. It was October 25th before. Or is that just for the Natsume store?

This is so obnoxious. I should have just bought the DS version.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Bought ToTT today (with alpaca!) and it's really good. It's shaping up to be my favorite since HM64/FOMT.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Yeah, none of the Harvest Moon games that have come out since Friends of Mineral Town have matched it for me. I'm hoping A New Beginning will. Has anyone heard negative stuff about it?

edit: Sigh:

quote:

*House level upgrades will not be returning.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Zoe posted:

Had some good ol' times with FoMT but I won't have that GBA slot forever--haven't been all that excited by what I've heard of most of the newer games, but Two Towns seems pretty decent.
Upgrading to the 3DS gave me a pretty good excuse to obtain a GBA micro, and pretty much only to play FOMT. Two Towns was OK, but the days were too long and there wasn't enough to do. Looking forward to A New Beginning.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I think I want the yak. I have a tiny cow plush already. :ohdear:

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

poo poo, my order got canceled because I thought it wasn't shipping until November and I didn't have the money in my bank account. I'm replacing it, but scary surprise!

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Jesto posted:

So there's one thing most, if not all, Harvest Moon games seem to be lacking.

The ability to place your buildings wherever you want on your property. :toot:
That looks cool. Sorry if I'm dense and missed the sarcasm, but I thought that placing buildings anywhere was a major feature of the new Harvest Moon? (I haven't read much about it)

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Thanks for the impressions. I know you said you fill your day with stuff, but even in Tale of Two Towns (with its mission board) I thought it was a huge problem that the days are super long and there's almost nothing to do in them. Is that really fixed in ANB? I also didn't like how in ToTT you'd be bottlenecked by arbitrary stuff - like there was no point collecting lumber because the quality would change each month, making lesser ranked lumber useless, so you just had to collect it when you got the board request for whatever required lumber.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I was really not liking this game but now that the architect has moved into the town (late spring) and I can make blueprints, there's plenty to do and I'm enjoying it a lot more.

What items do the villagers give you in exchange for gifts? So far I've only been giving gifts to the blacksmith because she gives you upgraded tool blueprints (which I can't use yet because they require ore and I've only found minimal amounts of copper in the forest).

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Yeah it's kind of a bad game design decision that you can only find copper/iron early on in the woods, and not often. I don't think there's any way to get a reliable supply of it except to buy it (in the first few seasons, at least; I'm guessing some kind of mine unlocks later on). Especially since one of the first town restoration missions requires like thirty iron (the ten streetlamps).

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Thanks for that. I had no idea I'd have to stockpile weeds and small branches.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Holy poo poo, I do not care that Neil's Animals is open.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Anyone have tips for village layout stuff? There's a fairly limited amount of room when you take into consideration that rotating a building so that its entrance faces away from the camera is too inconvenient to bother with (so no sticking buildings against the south wall).

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

That's an important consideration. All new HM games are the best thing ever until the next one is announced, and then almost immediately it's like, "I hope they don't repeat all the mistakes of that last piece of poo poo!"

That said, I'm really enjoying ANB so far, but I'm only on day 10, so my opinion doesn't count for much yet. The characters seem to have more depth than "I like horses!" or "I like bugs!" Also 3 out of 5 possible brides appear to be older than 10 years old, so clearly Harvest Moon is making progress!

As for other DS HM games, I preferred Grand Bazaar to ToTT. I liked the windmills and the Bazaar mechanic. The biggest problem for me, though, was the same as my problem with ToTT, which was the flat boring characters. Yes, I know you like art. Think of something else to say.
I feel like the series has permanently moved away from what I loved about HM64 and Friends of Mineral Town. Honestly, the game systems in Harvest Moon aren't very fun. Tale of Two Towns was a little better because you could do the "slide water" tactic with crops, or irrigation tunnels, which was a little fun, but A New Beginning is back to the same tedium. But ultimately, they're just missing social content. HM64 and FOMT had lots of festivals and unique social events to uncover, so the tedious game systems were just something you did every day to get to those, while in the Harvest Moon games since, the tedious game systems are supposed to be the appeal. A New Beginning is a little better, but it's still not on the level of those games, especially in how the festivals are all recycled (I at least like you can talk to the villagers after doing them - talking to the villagers before/after festivals was a great feature in HM64/FOMT).

I am enjoying A New Beginning more than the other ones, though. There's at least enough content that I'm not going to bed at noon, but sometimes it still feels repetitive, like there's not enough social content to keep me invested in the progressing forward. Unless I've just unlocked new content by building something new, I feel like I could sleep for a month and miss nothing.

It's also possible I'm looking at HM64/FOMT through rosey glasses, but I last played FOMT like a year ago and it seemed different. For a game series that gets a new installment basically every year, I wish they'd just recycle their art assets more. I think they keep building new engines/graphics and then don't have enough time in the development schedule to develop content beyond the basic series features, which would explain why every release seems to be missing content from the previous one. Like, was FOMT the last Harvest Moon game where the villagers had schedules? I haven't played the console games, but in ANB, they're back to teleporting around, and the only thing they do is eat breakfast/lunch/dinner and wander around in the mountains sometimes.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 4, 2012

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Miijhal posted:

Trying to get some of the less... tacky outfits right now, but everything seems to require poo poo like great alpaca yarn or Suffolk yarn, and I'm still in the first winter trying to get great wool. I have like 34 hours at the sanctuary to go to get great wool, I'm on two out of three sheep pregnancies to get suffolk sheep, and another month to get alpacas, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out here, either through trading or just the multiplayer animal farming, since both players get a copy of the materials. I have tons of minerals I can trade, if nothing else. And bees. So many bees.

Friend code is 0731-4814-7892.
Oh crap, I actually have to go to the animal sanctuary? Ugh. How does it work? Is there even anything to do there? I got bored and left when I went.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I really wish Animal Sanctuary had a fishing spot or something. Do you really just sit there for a few hours?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

The Animal Sanctuary seems to be the worst new game mechanic the series has introduced probably in a while (unless it was in another game I didn't play), but it's a minor part of the overall experience. I'm just about done with my first year and I'm enjoying the game.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

Does anyone know what the "other" category includes for the monthly festival competition for fruit/veggies/flowers?
Mushrooms for sure. Maybe wheat/soybeans/etc, but I'm not positive about that.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I'm near the end of Spring, Year 2. I have two chickens (one normal, one silkie), one cow, two sheep (I didn't realize I would need regular wool for so much and my oldest one has great wool already), one alpaca, one yak, one horse, one dog, one cat. I don't see the point in having multiple animals of the same type since giving them treats multiplies what you get from them; taking care of too many animals is annoying. I just breed to unlock more species and sell them.

I'm on town renovation 4 I think. I'm bottlenecked by the garden show and yarn balls so it'll be mid-Fall before I move on to the next one. I lost most of the first animal shows, unfortunately, but I've been doing well in the other festivals thanks to the eastern farm area making farming way less tedious.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Revol posted:

DO NOT SKIP GARDENING! Renovation 4 requires you complete three gardening tours. If you don't do any until Renovation 4, you'll be stuck for almost an entire year!
Yeah I'd be annoyed I didn't know this if not for the simultaneous yarn ball bottleneck (the fantastical house requires ten regular yarn balls FYI).

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Miijhal posted:

But you really shouldn't be having your animals graze unless you really just can't be arsed to harvest the grass, because you get five times the animal food just by harvesting it.
I noticed this, and it always blows my mind that Marvelous will get a game mechanic right, then mess it up in the next game. I automatically grazed my animals because there were huge benefits in the previous games, but in this one there's no point besides that your animals need 1,000 outside hours to go from producing 4 goods to 5 (and really, how much milk do you need everyday?). In terms of minimizing tedious gameplay, it's best to either buy tons of fodder or use an upgraded scythe to harvest a lot of it at once, then keep your animals indoors.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 12, 2012

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Why do people just wander around on my property at night? When do I get the shotgun?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Toriori posted:

I'm so selling my dog and cat on Monday now that I have the farm. Sorry, but their house takes up sooo much valuable space and I can't be bothered to walk them to the festival grounds for fetch.
What's the point of the pet food bowl, by the way? The one you can make from a blueprint that goes in your house. I figured it would be for pets but then I built the pet house ...

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Crowbear posted:

You can have one of your pets just live in your house, and that thing will feed them automatically.

I don't think you can use them to herd if they're living anywhere but the pet house though.
Oh that's actually awesome. I guess I won't sell my dog then.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Revol posted:

Just started my second year. Thanks to completing the third renovation, I got the second half of the farm opened up. The spring, along with getting the gold watering can, will allow me to start really making some bank.

I need some advice on how to properly increase the star ranks of my crops. Currently, I've been placing one square of a crop onto a plot, so I'd have eight crops that I'm fertilizing at a time on one plot. Once I get the raised crop, I make that into another seed pack, and repeat. (If the crop regrows, then I just wait for the last crop to come out of it to make that into a seed to replant.) Is there a more effective way?

Also, I seem to recall from other HM games, where if you sell say, a three star potato, then all the potato seeds you can get from the store are three star. Or maybe that happens only if you sell three star seeds and not the crop? That would make more sense, otherwise the seed maker becomes redundant.

And hey... is anybody even bothering with paddies? All the paddy seeds only give you one crop per seed, and they take forever to grow, and they have no regrowth. I may as well just buy some rice at the store for whatever cooking I might need, and just keep it at that.
In the spring area, I just fertilize the two crops furthest right of every batch. The unfertilized crops are sold and the two fertilized ones are replanted. In the last harvest of the season, I fertilize the four furthest right on each batch so I have more seeds for the next year.

I don't get how to fertilize paddy crops effectively, though. If you put one paddy crop into the seed maker, you get one seed back, so you're not multiplying anything. I just buy the rice or whatever, but it's annoying having a half-star product drag down the rating of what I cook with it. Poorly designed system, unless you're right about the "shipping seeds changes the star rating in the store" thing.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Maybe I'm wrong to be doing this, but I don't bother only watering the fertilized crops every other day because you can just make the seeds and replant them that same day, so I don't think you're losing fertilizer time by growing them at a normal schedule. Plus, sometimes the seed maker upgrades my crops from a half star to a full star in the conversion to seeds.

• Locked thread