Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

What the hell drops strong vines? I assume it's one of the plant monster but they won't drop it. :mad:

Supposedly all the plant monsters do, but I had zero luck with the ones in the spring dungeon until I wasn't looking any more. I had pretty good luck with the winter ones.

Thank you goons for making me want and purchase this game. RF3 is absolutely fantastic, probably the best DS game I've played. Also bought RF2 and Grand Bazaar because of this thread. If GB allowed you to save more often than every half hour I would probably still be playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Gamestop was saying September 13th for ToTT, not sure what happened to that. I'm pretty excited about it. Sounds like there's a lot more to do than in Grand Bazaar. I also hear it has the same annoying thing where you can only save when you go to bed :(

I've enjoyed Grand Bazaar thus far, but the characters aren't very involving unless you're like me and make up silly things about them (Daisy is the village idiot, so therefore she is my protagonist's destined bride! :downs:). The game's really nice looking and each season is well done, but it also feels like you run out of things to do once you reach the second year. The most fun for me so far is making jewelry and lots of sweet, sweet alcohol from the grape trees in my basement.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Can anyone confirm this? Because that's a no buy for me if it's the case. I am not dealing with my fields getting hosed up.

Not sure if it would result in field fuckage, but this part of the guide someone posted earlier implies that you can only save in ToTT when you go to bed. This is the part where I went aw poo poo, I'm buying it for alpacas.

Also I can't bring myself to use any weapon other than dual swords in RF3. That plus the light shield spells means you can deal damage so quickly the game lags, thus ensuring that you are never attacked. This made hard mode a little easy in a way that I do not regret.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
So uh, stupid question: I'm halfway through my first summer and I don't know how to eat things. How do I eat? (Manual says: eat things for stamina! Doesn't say how.)

It's kind of obscene how much money you can make from fishing and growing flowers. Pull out three fish fossils a night, water plants by day...I'm some kind of fishing superhero.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Zettace posted:

Which game are you talking about?
If you're playing Tale of Two Towns then you go to the menu and drag a food item on to your character to eat. In fact, it's the default option when you move your cursor to the right side of the screen which has caused me to lose a lot of my dishes for the cooking festival because I accidentally ate it instead of putting it in my hands.

Whoops, I meant Tale of Two Towns. Sorry! I guess foraged items (apricots, even?) don't count as food?

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Fru Fru posted:

Pretty sure you can eat apricots and other foraged stuff. I just ate a plum with no problems.

Go to your inventory (X button) and select a food. Hit A and it will move to the right side of the screen where your character is. It will automatically go to the eat option and your character will have a little speech bubble that says "Eat". Hit A again to eat.

Just ate a mint. I'd been trying to eat things with the stylus. I feel dumb now :downs:

Interesting little almost glitchy things that have happened so far:
- Cat got stuck on Konohana farm jumping on the fence repeatedly trying to get my chicken to take it inside. I picked it up and threw it over the fence, problem solved.
- Invisible bear: a bear spawned inside the log on the mountain next to Bluebell by the hand fishing area. I was running through and heard a bear roar from nowhere and nearly shat myself.

I'm enjoying this game. Another kind of stupid question: there's the dumb little story in the town hall about befriending boars on the mountain. What offerings would please invisibear so that he will not attack me inside his log? Bears don't seem to like honey, which I find counterintuitive. I think I also tried to give bread to ducks and they gave no shits. I want to be friends with the little woodland animals :( Help me, goons!

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I don't have it, so I can't be of direct help, but check here: http://www.fogu.com/hm10/index.php

Yeah, they haven't completed the guide yet. I like how they always finish the bachelor/bachelorette sections first. Priorities, priorities :rolleyes:

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

eggrolled posted:

So in TToTT... if you leave your dog bone/cat bell on the ground are they supposed to dissappear? they never did that in previous games. :qq:

In Grand Bazaar they did if you left them out overnight. I would expect the same to happen in ToTT...unless you just left the screen and it disappeared?

My cat in GB consistently hit the bell into weird places that I never found, costing me around 10k. It got to the point where I changed my farm sign to a kitty face saying u mad? ...Wish ToTT had a farm sign.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Palleon posted:

Sorry, another question about Grand Bazaar.

Does increasing my "level" in windmilling, cooking, etc have any effect on the game whatsoever? I'd assume that maybe it would result in more stars for the final product, but I think that just depends on the ingredients used, right?

Pretty sure it has absolutely no effect.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

anivasion posted:

I think my favorite on the modern gaming systems is Animal Parade. It really depends on what consoles you have when it comes to recommendations. I have never preferred any of the hand-helds to the console titles. That said, I did get pretty addicted to Tale of Two Towns while I played it.

I definitely agree. I also played the hell out of Grand Bazaar, Tale of Two Towns, and Rune Factories 2 and 3, but Animal Parade has more replay value. I even introduced my mom and my boyfriend's mom to it, and they're still playing it. Animal Parade's definitely the best for someone looking to get into Harvest Moon.

Then again, my opinion may not fit with the opinion of this thread: I actually like the villagers in RF 2 much better than RF 3. They're funny without being over-the-top zany and wacky. And oh god that theme song. Plus the game has a lot more substance to it.

However, if you want an awesome, addictive, funny farming sim, I picked up Shepherd's Crossing 2 after the recommendations in this thread. All I can really say is it's like a Harvest Moon game that someone actually put thought and effort into.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

My counter statement is that Shepherd's Crossing 2 is a brutal farming sim with a very steep learning curve, long load times, terrible translation, and little or no replay value.

I highly recommend picking it up.

I didn't find it all that difficult. It has a little more gently caress off in it than Harvest Moon, that's all. What's that, you want us to give you an enclosure for your animals? gently caress off. Oh, you want to be able to hold more than 5 items? gently caress off. You want to play as a girl? gently caress off.

Any game with accurate drop spindles earns my love and admiration.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

gmq posted:

I can't avoid looking at guides about recipes, requests and stuff for RF3. I suck. It's the easiest game ever and even then I can't stop thinking that I must do everything right the first time. :smith:

PS: I just started Friends of Mineral Town too and the amount of hand holding that RF3 has is mindblowing compared to it (it's like three generations older though). FoMT just throws you in your farm and tells you to get things from the mountain to sell or die and nothing else.

I feel vaguely dirty for picking up my old cart of MFoMT and then going back to ToTT the next day. I'm so sorry I just wanted something easy to play to relax after work :(

(this is especially funny after I have been advocating Shepherd's Crossing)

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

I always go after the butcher or the hunter. :allears:

And if I'm a guy I always, always pick the girl in the cowboy hat. I wish she was a character in normal Harvest Moon games.

What kind of put me off the hunter was when you go to marry him and he's all "Wait, who are you again?" Then again, that kind of describes all the male love interests...which is a shame because the male love interests in Shepherd's Crossing actually look like someone who should be getting married, unlike Harvest Moon.

Cowboy hat girl is amazing. I have butchered many an animal to chill with her.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

I like that it's more realistic. They're straight-up arranged marriages with a dowry and everything. And all of the men in town really want to marry the super rich fat girl but are willing to settle for some blankets.

I like how much the mayor has to talk them into settling for you. "I know she's not Elizabeth but she's really a very good knitter" :v:

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

LLSix posted:

Is Shepherd's Crossing 2 worth buying a DS for? If so, does it run on the 3DS? It's been decades since I bought a portable gaming device.

I wouldn't say that it's worth buying a DS for. If you're looking for an excuse to buy a DS, then sure. There are some really good games for the DS and I'd recommend getting a DS lite now that they're relatively cheap (and the games are getting really cheap for it, too) or getting a 3DS if you want new games...well, ever.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Achernar posted:

A question for the goons who've played Shepherd's Crossing 2, is it closer to HM or RF3 character-wise?
I prefer RF3's super wacky style over HM's cardboard-like style though somewhere in between would probably be best.

And in case you haven't been warned already, Shepherd's Crossing is less about the social interaction (though that is fun!) and more about farming -- most importantly the slaughter of cute animals to feed your dog pack :black101:

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Raepdog posted:

Who is the best to marry in Sheppard's Crossing 2? I wish I had a nice FAQ for this, everyone I've seen sucks.

Could do what I did, which is get enough blankets/sheep and try them all out. Are you playing as a boy or a girl? The girl with the hat (Haru?) is the popular choice if you're playing as a guy. If you're playing as a girl...well, I married Giles the butcher after seeing the Hunter's marriage dialogue. It doesn't matter too much who you marry -- you'll get a dialogue with them when you get married and every season when they bring in goods/money, but you don't really interact with them outside of that and sharing a meal every time you use your table.

Some stuff I read online implied that the gender/sprite of your child is dependent on who you marry. Can anyone confirm this? My kid with Giles was dark haired, male and otherwise unremarkable.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

A year or so back I was stuck in bed with a horrible sinus infection and decided to pass the days by making every meal in SC2 and giving it out to every person I could give the meal to.

Don't do that.

I uh, I was doing that, once upon a time when I had free evenings and nothing better to do. Someday I'll go back and do that, maybe, if I'm stuck in a room with a charger, energy source and a DS for all eternity. That's probably when I'll buy the house you can get in More Friends of Mineral Town for being married for 50 in-game years, too :)

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Re: Shepherd's Crossing chat, I just wish someone had told me that if you leave -insert animal type here- meat out for a day or two it turns into meat scraps for your pets.

This is making me want to play again. I don't actually want to play SC2 again. :suicide: indeed.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Also bought a 3DS for this game (and also to celebrate getting my first post-college big kid job, woo :toot:). So far my favorite feature of the new game is that you can save any time you want. I'm super psyched, since I hated the save mechanic in GB and ToTT. Haven't played through an entire day since real life is pretty busy, but I plan to get in some quality time this weekend. I'm really liking it though. I basically wanted the Wii version on a hand-held console with the best the console had to offer, and that is exactly what New Beginning has delivered.

For everyone else playing further than me, any sign of mining? I was hoping for a repeat of the mining experience in Animal Parade, but maybe that's just asking too much from Natsume.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Since everyone else is posting tips: I don't think you need to ship seeds to have the seeds at the general store level up; I have never shipped a single seed in this game (or RF3 for that matter) and the general store seed levels are still whatever level the crops I've shipped are. It's probably a lot cheaper and easier just to grow the seeds you get from your sickle, and alternate selling crops/buying seeds to cut down once they grow, rather than trying to increase the level every crop generation (though it won't be as fast).

I'm loving this game. Porcoline is the best. If you haven't told him you love him, you should probably try it :kimchi:

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

They sell for the same prices as normal crops, too. Pretty much only good for filling out your shipping list, befriending boss monsters and (I assume) crafting.

Pretty sure they sell for more? Plus, if you giantize a regrowing crop it stays giant...giant pineapples are a great way to make lots of $$$

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Nondevor posted:

Item effects only overlap if they're from the same category. For example, if you were making a headgear piece only stats from other headgear pieces would inherit. Shoes go into shoes, accessories like necklaces go into other accessories. So no, making a leather vest with a heart pendant would not give you skill gains. I suggest making a pendant with two other pendants and a handknit scarf; up to 3 items can be inherited (the first item gives the stats) with the resulting fusion giving its ability.

Barrett the NPC is useful for examining this stuff.

I wonder if you can apply light ore to accessory crafting like you can with weapon crafting (like how you can make a glove with long sword stats using light ore)? That would allow you to make leather armor with pendant stats.

Also, I semi-accidentally crafted a glove that says it does 7k damage, but whenever I use it in game it always does 1 damage regardless of the target. I think this is from scrap metal+? It's handy for farming double- and ten-fold steel...but not quite what I was looking for. :sigh:

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
A NPC (in RF4) just told me that defeating a monster with a weapon strengthened with a Tyrant Turnip will cause golden turnips to appear. Anyone able to test this?

Another one told me that rare fish have lighter colored shadows. I can't believe I never saw it before. This changes everything :aaaaa:

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

All of this talk about favorite Harvest Moon games and not a single mention of Shepherd's Crossing 2 anywhere? For shame!

I think Corridor and I are the only people who have ever played it. Not enjoyed. No one can enjoy that game.

I will admit with some shame that I prefer SC2 to the last couple Harvest Moon games. Every so often I'll fire it up and binge until I no longer feel like playing a farming game. I wish more farming games were that challenging.

Also you can farm rocks in RF4 by hammering your dungeon plants, if you're a big meanie who's into that sort of thing.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Fru Fru posted:

That actually came up in Ludus' events after you start dating and it has a nice resolution. I am glad I married Ludus. He is really sweet and he named our baby Moana.

drat, Disney is going to sue the poo poo out of Xseed

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Were the animals in Stardew the same as HM? In that they existed to give you produce but couldn't be butchered?

Yeah, so far Shepherd's Crossing has the market cornered on actually butchering and processing your animals

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Knorth posted:

Huh, never heard of it. I probably don't need more farming games but is it any good?

I typed out a long effortpost last night but it was lost to my phone. Corridor's summary is spot on; it's basically a very harsh subsistence farming sim for DS.

The good:
- More in depth crafting than any Harvest Moon game has ever been able to include; this is probably my favorite aspect of this game and why I like it more than most of the vanilla HM games but about as well as RF3
- Realism! Sheep are sheared in the spring, only once annually. If you have rabbits they breed like crazy (and supply food for you and your carnivorous pets). There is no romance, you buy your spouse with a dowry gift. Many of the crops have unique processing systems that actually reflect how these crops are processed in real life, and it's very fun to experience how the different grains are processed and what byproducts you can use to feed animals, etc.
- Time flies by very quickly - you can easily play through an entire year in one sitting.

The bad:
- Your inventory is 5 slots and there is no storage, no nothin', 5 slots is what you get. Everything you own gets thrown in large piles everywhere. If you're used to being around hoarding IRL it's a bit like that, complete with animal feces
- There is no romance. There is a minimum of social interaction. What there is is fairly well written, though the translation is a little odd sometimes. If you play HM for the romance and social interaction this game is not for you
- The gender option is actually a difficulty option. The game screws you over if you choose to play as female. Not so much in the old Harvest Moon Cute (?) way where your game ends when you get married, but if you play as a boy it's fairly easy to buy your wife. You trade in sheep as a dowry gift, and sheep breed over time so it's easy enough to get a good sized herd together if you manage them well. If you run out of food or firewood as a boy then the game goes 'oh, you poor thing, here's some more!'. If you play as a girl you buy your man with blankets. Each blanket costs 10 x sheep x year in materials (10 fleeces produced by sheep once per sheep yearly in the spring), takes a lot of time to spin and knit, and multiple blankets are required. If you run out of food or firewood even once playing as female the townspeople run you out of town and your game is over. Plus you have a really dumb looking bonnet.

If this appeals to you, great! It's probably still on Amazon for pretty cheap. I love it and it is one of my favorite games for DS, but I also know that it consistently gets mixed reviews in this thread.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

lmao what the gently caress

that's just how it goes, man :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
On the plus side, SoS is pretty drat good, and seems to be doing alright despite losing the HM name.

There's a HM/Stardew Valley-like game in early access on Steam that I'm keeping an eye on called Orcish Inn. Though why an innkeeper would need to grow their own grains instead of buying them, I really haven't the foggiest.

• Locked thread