Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Not A Bear posted:

I'm really hoping that there's a support group for the Surviving Defense Against the Dark Arts Teachers of Hogwarts...unless there are no survivors of course... :ohdear:

Oh wait, I guess Lockheart could preside...if his memory ever returned

Didn't Crouch and Umbridge survive also? Crouch was Kissed and I'm pretty sure Umbridge wasn't at the Battle for Hogwarts (being neither a Death Eater nor Imperiused she wouldn't fit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

rchandra posted:

Didn't Crouch and Umbridge survive also? Crouch was Kissed and I'm pretty sure Umbridge wasn't at the Battle for Hogwarts (being neither a Death Eater nor Imperiused she wouldn't fit).

Well, Crouch is dead for all intents and purposes. Umbridge is serving life in Azkaban (according to Pottermore). The only DADA teacher who got through it all relativly unscathed was Slughorn, but he had the position before the curse happened.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

TheModernAmerican posted:

But the thing is I can write him off completely because the one good thing he did was motivated by a creepy, obsessive, almost stalker-esque attachment to a person he would otherwise hate out of hand due to her heritage (remember that mudblood is a slur that people reacted to with extreme offense, and that Snape worked with and was allied with a revolutionary movement that wanted to have Lily Evan's killed due to her parentage). And this so called good act is tainted because he betrayed the only people he could count as allies because of this of this legitimately insane obsession.

This is a dude who hated the son of a guy who was a jerk to him when he was 12 so much that he actively inhibited his academic progress. Imagine that for a loving second, if you met a human being who had a bully in middle school and harbored an intense hatred of a child because he was his son. That's not a bad person who did a good thing that's insane. Sure he didn't kill Harry himself, but if that's the rubric we're using to be a good person now then I guess I am Jesus incarnate.

Well people are inclined to romanticize things to erase unpleasant realities. Personally having known a few people who were involved in hate groups, I still think Snape honestly loved Lily on some level. He exhibits a pretty standard case of the kind of cognitive dissonance you get from bigots who will carve out all kinds of exemptions for individuals they like or love. Snape was a profoundly miserable person growing up in a very unhappy house. He hung his hopes on two things 1. the day he would get to go to Hogwarts and everything would change for the better because he'd be with the people he belonged with, and 2. His friend Lily Evans who would be there, too. Number one got crushed pretty quickly; he was smart and good at magic, but not liked or respected by the people around him. That disappointment probably lead him to sabotage his friendship with Lily in active ways like being an ungrateful, miserable poo poo when she comes to see if he's o.k., and inactive ways like joining a hate group that condemns Lily and those like her (remember the cognitive dissonance.) So Lily cuts him out of her life when his place in their friendship shifts from 'dead weight' to 'potential threat' and she moves on with her life, falls in love, has a kid, fights a war. But Snape never gets over it. On some level he knows she was the best thing that ever happened to him, the one person that really cared about him. And it eats at him. He cannot get past it, and it keeps running through his head like a traumatic memory. He thinks with enough time he can find a way to set it right, he can fix things, he just needs time... and then his boss puts out the hit and suddenly there is no time. So Snape runs off to Dumbledore ready to sell out everything he's been doing for years in exchange for more time for Lily so he'll get more time to figure out how to fix things. Her husband and child never cross his mind because whether they live or die has nothing to do with what he ultimately wants, a big, fat rewind button that'll let him undo that last argument and the loss of the one person who was most important to him. So yeah, he loved Lily. Loved her enough to realize he'd hosed up bad when he ran her out of his life, and used the hate and self loathing that created to fuel his involvement in elaborate revenge plot against the person who ordered her death. Otherwise he remains a petty, miserable jerkwad obsessed with every slight and abuse, real or perceived, that he got in high school to the extent that he holds those grudges against even the children and houses of his old foes.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Of course he loves Lily, that's pretty hammered in through the course of the last few books. His patronus changed for her, the vanguard of his soul changed formed because he had that much love for one person. He's still a terrible person that no one should idolize.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Mr. Moon posted:

I like to think they tried to replace him but he kept showing up to teach anyway, continuing to drone over the new hire until the Headmaster just gave up.

Ghostbusters at Hogwarts is a crossover fanfiction I would read.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

TheModernAmerican posted:

Of course he loves Lily, that's pretty hammered in through the course of the last few books. His patronus changed for her, the vanguard of his soul changed formed because he had that much love for one person. He's still a terrible person that no one should idolize.

Also he was only able to cast the Patronus because of that. It relies on happy memories and every one of his happy memories was with Lily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I think they could have gotten Binns to leave if they really wanted to. The ministry was able to get Myrtle to stop harassing Olive Hornby and confine her to Hogwarts. Binns probably saves the school a ton of money since that's one professor they don't have to feed, house, or presumably pay.

• Locked thread