Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Epikhigh posted:

Luna reminds me of the red head girl from American Pie 2. I don't know why, but once I realized that I now picture Luna as her :D

Replace "flute" with "wand" and they're pretty much the same character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Paragon8 posted:

I recommend that you all read Magicians by Lev Grossman. It's a very similar concept to Harry Potter but treated in a much more adult fashion.

This book arrived from Amazon about two hours ago, and holy poo poo, it's really really good. Thank you for the suggestion!

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Surly Duff posted:

It's also interesting that the gang only makes forward progress towards destroying the Horcruxes when they make mistakes: Hermione accidentally lets Phineas Nigellus Black know where they are, letting Snape send them the sword, and they only find out the location of the cup after they're captured. Had everything gone according to 'plan', they might never have destroyed the Horcruxes.

Isn't that the point that Harry's been making for years? His success is hugely based on luck and the help of people more insightful or capable than himself.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

I'm sure I'm missing a really obvious joke here. Who the gently caress is Naomi?

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Philo posted:

Not directly related to Harry Potter, but I saw it mentioned in the first couple of pages of this thread. Is there a thread for The Magicians? Because holy poo poo, this fukkin book.

Yeah, there was a thread about that a few months ago. I think it's been archived. Very controversial amongst goons. (I liked it, fwiw)
e: wait no

CaptainJuan fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 23, 2011

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Paragon8 posted:

I might have dreamed it but I read a decent fic about a grown up Harry who'd become an Auroer/diplomat and was visiting Hogwarts at the same time as a delegation of American wizards from an American magical school including some cajun sorcerers and of course Benjamin Franklin. It was pretty neat. I can't really remember much about it - other than the Americans arrived in magical 80s muscle cars.

This is the James Potter Series.

The plot is mostly interesting, and there's some cool concepts, but the execution needs work. The writing is... okay, but what they do with some of the next-generation characters is fairly inspired.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

The vast majority of EU stuff is basically slightly better edited fanfic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

I plan on giving my kids one book per year starting on their eleventh birthday

• Locked thread