Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Red
Jun 17, 2010
I made the decision very early on to not read the series until it was finished. I was in high school by the time Harry Potter was in full swing and didn't want to be stuck waiting around for the next installment to show up. Even when the Deathly Hallows came out years ago, it still took me until last year to start reading. It was a good decision, altogether; I remained spoiler-free up to when I started reading, and even got through to the end without anything surprises being ruined. I missed out on some potentially good conversations, but I also got to enjoy the series without waiting around like an addict. So there's that.

The series isn't the best written, but it certainly is my favorite. Are there quibbles I have with it? Yes. I never liked Ginny, because the entire story arc with her after Chamber of Secrets is out of left field. Character deaths are quick and lack any real sense of gravitas outside of "Well, he's dead now." I felt that Harry's douchiness in Order of the Phoenix made me want to strangle him, but, as was mentioned above...

Harashaw posted:

Also, he's 15. Everyone's a twat at 15.
And I felt that, as far as minor characters go, Luna was tragically under-utilized. She was so much more fun that a lot of the others that came and went, and I don't think she got a fair shake.

But despite my issues with it, I love all of the books. The moment I finished Deathly Hallows was terribly bitter-sweet, somewhat comparative to taking the final bow of a performance you've been practicing forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Red
Jun 17, 2010
At about book four I was hankering for a Yank to appear at Hogwarts as an exchange student. He'd have no real impact on the plot, mind you, but just kinda swagger around, impress all the ladies with his accent, and dual-wield wands in Defense Against the Dark Arts. Instead of tracking down some fan fiction, I'm just gonna buy the hell out of 'Magicians.'

Obligatory Toast posted:

Knowing this country, we'd have 4 or 5, all vying for the top spots on lists for best wizarding schools, and each would be more expensive than the last.

Until the state-run magic Universities start vying for top spot in the coveted 'Play Warlock' biggest party schools.

"Go Badgers!" :cheers:

• Locked thread