Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

That too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The COVID lockdowns also galvanized a certain type of person to cut off their nose to spite someone else's face, which this seems a prime example of. So it's fair to point out that some people just broke and can't seem to fix themselves.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I followed a few fitness people on instagram prior to 2020. Just normal meat heads who would post like "try this lunge if you're having tight hip flexors" or whatever. But once the gyms closed in March 2020 a few of them who never ever posted anything other than like, gym routine stuff did a speedrun to going fully insane by June of 2020. It was very funny but also scary and depressing!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The last four to eight years have truly broken a lot of people. Since the start of 2020 I have watched and heard stories about an aunt of mine going from a standard-issue Midwestern Conservative shithead to a lunatic conspiracy theorist that barely anyone else in the extended family - even the ones with the same politics she had - can stand to speak to in person.

She's not the only person I know who fell down this route. There was a guy whose family I was good friends with when I lived in SE Minnesota who went full QAnon, and he ended up losing his job, his wife, and his two kids shortly after Biden was elected. He just lost his drat mind, and he didn't even need drugs or alcohol to do it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Roth actually spoke on this on the last ep of The Distraction. Former pitcher Steve Carlton went full proto-Qanon after retiring, up to and including living fully off the grid and willingly giving interviews and sharing dozens of mutually conflicting conspiracy theories.

This has always been a specific but rare archetype of humanity: the kook. Back in the day, getting this deep down the rabbit hole involved getting onto weird mailing lists, reading pamphlets and newsletters, and then writing to ads in the back of those mailings to get onto the really crazy poo poo. It took work, dedication, and literacy.

Nowadays, its spoon fed. If you have even a slight tolerance or proclivity to what these idiots are selling, it is trivially easy to get and what you do get is highly optimized to drive you toward more.

So yeah, we are broke brained from covid, biologically, pharmacologically, socially, economically. But also, we are rats in a cage with the cocaine lever in paw's reach. The rabbit hole has never been larger and now has a lubricated gradient leading in.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Roth actually spoke on this on the last ep of The Distraction. Former pitcher Steve Carlton went full proto-Qanon after retiring, up to and including living fully off the grid and willingly giving interviews and sharing dozens of mutually conflicting conspiracy theories.

This has always been a specific but rare archetype of humanity: the kook. Back in the day, getting this deep down the rabbit hole involved getting onto weird mailing lists, reading pamphlets and newsletters, and then writing to ads in the back of those mailings to get onto the really crazy poo poo. It took work, dedication, and literacy.

Nowadays, its spoon fed. If you have even a slight tolerance or proclivity to what these idiots are selling, it is trivially easy to get and what you do get is highly optimized to drive you toward more.

So yeah, we are broke brained from covid, biologically, pharmacologically, socially, economically. But also, we are rats in a cage with the cocaine lever in paw's reach. The rabbit hole has never been larger and now has a lubricated gradient leading in.
It's gotten to the point where Alex Jones posted "gently caress Adolf Hitler" on Twitter the other day, and it was met with nothing a shitload of pushback, conspiracy theories, and "Hitler was seriously misunderstood".

And yes I know it's Alex Jones, but when you're too much of a conspiracy theorist for Alex Jones you might want to evaluate your thinking.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Apr 24, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

That sounds less like conspiracy theories and more like old fashioned racism. Racists have been defending Hitler for 90 years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

That sounds less like conspiracy theories and more like old fashioned racism. Racists have been defending Hitler for 90 years.
I think it's a bit of both. There has absolutely been a sharp increase of "Hitler had some pretty interesting ideas but was just misunderstood" on Social Media sites over the last 4-5 years.

I took a Freshman English class that had a unit on Holocaust Denial - was pretty drat heavy for 18-year-old me. The people who were peddling that poo poo on the Internet in the early 00's would never have imagined in their wildest dreams (a number of prominent ones have died) how much reach their various asinine theories about World War II could gain over the next 15+ years.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Out of people who are willing to be a neo nazi in public much fewer of them are willing to say that the holocaust was real and good so there usually is a conspiracy element. Even without denialism you need to believe in a Jewish conspiracy to be a nazi.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Out of people who are willing to be a neo nazi in public much fewer of them are willing to say that the holocaust was real and good so there usually is a conspiracy element. Even without denialism you need to believe in a Jewish conspiracy to be a nazi.
One of the absolutely goddamn looney theories I had to look at as part of that unit was at the infamous Center for Open Debate on the Holocaust, where one of the conspiracy theories was something to the effect of:

"See this mass grave? [picture of mass grave of dead Jews below] Those people obviously all starved to death. Why did they starve to death? Because naturally Germany was going to give their limited wartime food resources to German citizens first, and because the Allied Powers had the gall to attack them there wasn't enough food to go around, and the people in the perfectly safe work camps had to go without. So, you need to open up your third eye and apply some critical thinking and realize that if there really was a Holocaust of six million Jews it was largely the fault of the United States military and Americans only have themselves to blame.

I still think the craziest one I came across was, "Oh, all those mounds where the mass graves supposedly are? All airbrushed. War propaganda."

You might wonder why Freshmen in college might be asked to study and refute stuff like that. Well, the point of the class was basically to show how people can take in incredibly detailed documentation of an event and still deny the reality that's right in front of their face.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Goes hand in hand.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Secret Base is starting a Patreon.

https://x.com/jon_bois/status/1783149784058020127

Weird that this is a thing when they're still technically affiliated with SBNation but also glad they aren't preventing them from making some side money using the brand

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

or will they let Jon Bois and a few others walk away with the brand, they do have precedent for letting niche operations take the IP (and podcast RSS feeds) with them after all.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

PRETTY GOOD IS BACK :toot:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

harperdc posted:

or will they let Jon Bois and a few others walk away with the brand, they do have precedent for letting niche operations take the IP (and podcast RSS feeds) with them after all.

yeah they let the bulls blog guy walk away with his name and stuff.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Secret Base brand is probably actually worth something, though

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

every ghastly media VC company seeing another brand they can turn into a clickfarm and license for gambling:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

morestuff posted:

No it's not.

Jon Bois and the people who work with him are. Secret Base would be nothing without him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dexo posted:

No it's not.

Jon Bois and the people who work with him are. Secret Base would be nothing without him.

I mean I don't disagree but I don't see Vox just being like "all yours" for this one, if only for the passive money they can make from the old content

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

morestuff posted:

I mean I don't disagree but I don't see Vox just being like "all yours" for this one, if only for the passive money they can make from the old content

Vox let the Shutdown Fullcast walk away with the name and RSS feed. That’s what I was alluding to.

And you’d think maybe they would learn from that experience, but search your heart if you think the corporate overlords above SB Nation even know what a Jon Bois is.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

harperdc posted:

Vox let the Shutdown Fullcast walk away with the name and RSS feed. That’s what I was alluding to.

And you’d think maybe they would learn from that experience, but search your heart if you think the corporate overlords above SB Nation even know what a Jon Bois is.

Vox also didn't understand the value of the fullcast whereas I think they incredibly understand the value of bois and his creation

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
niche podcast

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Vox also didn't understand the value of the fullcast whereas I think they incredibly understand the value of bois and his creation
Do they though? Vox seems to have a tendency to do real stupid poo poo regarding properties that aren't their main news website.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

harperdc posted:

Is it possible SBN effectively sold the name to the creators?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Vox basically has zero reason for anyone to give them benefit of the doubt. The amount of stuff they’ve just let freely walk away is incredible.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

the onion is free of the herb

https://x.com/oneunderscore__/status/1783632037640835426?s=46

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Bring back Onion Sportsdome

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

sick?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Mahoning posted:

Bring back Onion Sportsdome

Maybe! He did mention bringing back ONN.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

PotatoJudge posted:

Maybe! He did mention bringing back ONN.

we're pivoting back to video baby!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

longtime Columbus beat reporter Aaron Portzline, suffering from stage 5 kidney failure, is getting a kidney donated from a Blue Jackets employee :unsmith:

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Gizmodo/Onion Media sold the Onion? Are they going to change the name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nm