Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nfl-statistical-crystal-ball-what-2014s-numbers-can-tell-us-about-2015/

Saying every Bill Barnwell column is the same is almost as tired as any given Bill Barnwell column, but this is the Platonic ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jesus Christ, Kornheiser.

http://deadspin.com/tony-kornheiser-defends-josh-duggar-says-maybe-he-shou-1706842414

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Where do people get this notion that employees can't (or shouldn't) lose their jobs for misconduct outside the workplace? It happens all the time, in many different fields.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

People don't have a basic understanding of what the 1st Amendment actually says

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

hcreight posted:

Where do people get this notion that employees can't (or shouldn't) lose their jobs for misconduct outside the workplace? It happens all the time, in many different fields.

I think the notion is you shouldn't punish someone at 27 for things that they did when they were 15, which doesn't strike me as that heinous of position. I think whats different here is the particular role this guy held which to me is pretty relevant, but I mostly don't care.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hcreight posted:

Considering who's involved, I think there's an anti-government thing where they're taking the position that the government shouldn't be involved in an internal family matter.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Alain Post posted:

Considering who's involved, I think there's an anti-government thing where they're taking the position that the government shouldn't be involved in an internal family matter.

How is the government involved?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Lockback posted:

I think the notion is you shouldn't punish someone at 27 for things that they did when they were 15, which doesn't strike me as that heinous of position. I think whats different here is the particular role this guy held which to me is pretty relevant, but I mostly don't care.

Yeah, as repugnant as I may find the behavior of the Family Research Council, it's completely understandable why they wouldn't want a confirmed child molester as an executive. Kornheiser acting like it was some sort of violation to make what Duggar did public is obscene, regardless.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

hcreight posted:

Yeah, as repugnant as I may find the behavior of the Family Research Council, it's completely understandable why they wouldn't want a confirmed child molester as an executive. Kornheiser acting like it was some sort of violation to make what Duggar did public is obscene, regardless.

In alot of countries, making public a crime someone committed as a minor is itself against the law. I know absolutely nothing about this case or who this guy is beyond the fact he was found guilty of child molestation as a 15 year old (which I found out 10 minutes ago), but many many reasonable countries (including my own) have decided that publishing the names of juvenile offenders is a crime in and of itself.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
He wasn't found guilty of anything, his family covered it up to make sure he was never officially punished

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

The B_36 posted:

In alot of countries, making public a crime someone committed as a minor is itself against the law. I know absolutely nothing about this case or who this guy is beyond the fact he was found guilty of child molestation as a 15 year old (which I found out 10 minutes ago), but many many reasonable countries (including my own) have decided that publishing the names of juvenile offenders is a crime in and of itself.

An untreated and unpunished child molester is dangerous to every child they interact with, it's unfortunate for him (assuming/hoping that he actually stopped) but how else can you handle a situation where someone knowingly covers up serial child molestation than to make it public?

hcreight posted:

There are two ways to make this argument; one good, one horrible.

The horrible one is an appeal to liberalism that lasts exactly as long as the person being punished belongs to the same subculture or espouses similar beliefs to you. It often presents as a cowardly way of agreeing with whatever the person said/did without having to actually put your name behind it. In this case, I'm willing to believe Kornheiser doesn't actually support child molestation, but perhaps he does support the White Evangelical subculture's tendency to cover up rape and abuse as a matter for the family or church to work out and yet is smart enough to know that he can't say "it's fine if you report molestation to your church elders and keep the cops out of it" without getting fired himself.

The good point is this: since we steadfastly refuse to provide a humane standard of living for the poor in America, and since employees in the majority of fields have little or no power and job security (and increasing automation is likely to do little but exacerbate this trend), our particular historical context means that employers who are empowered to fire for off-the-job behavior are able to exercise almost complete control over the lives of their employees. I think we can, subjectively, see a pretty clear line in between "you were a serial child molester" and "you shoplifted once," but we have to be very careful with how we justify it from a legal and even moral standpoint. We don't want to say "he's a criminal" because 1) criminals are human beings who deserve the chance to rehabilitate and have a good life, 2) it makes no distinction between different crimes, and 3) this guy was never even tried, let alone convicted. Similarly, "he's bad for PR" justifies firing him, but it would also justify firing someone from some jobs if they came out as gay, and I'd like to assume none of us support that.

Of course, we would like to say that people should not be forced to employ someone. The way to split this Gordian knot is to ensure that a job isn't a prerequisite for decent food, a home, transportation, baseline amenities, etc. Plus additionally it would be best to abolish the idea of an employer altogether and institute Full Communism. But until then, it's necessary to be very cautious about what power we're willing to allow bosses to wield against their employees.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
This thread went full on Karl Marx. Communism the cure for Pedos

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

So the solution to the Jim Bob Bubaloo Duggar problem is not "going through the actual proper channels at the time it happened instead of covering it all up due to personal connections", it's "Full Communism now". Huh?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lmao this guy

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Hmm well the post starts off talking about the Duggar guy and ends up mentioning communism, I guess the middle must be relating pedophilia to communism.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Hmm well the post starts off talking about the Duggar guy and ends up mentioning communism, I guess the middle must be relating pedophilia to communism.
Communism doesn't stop people covering up crimes and getting cushy jobs due to personal connections, which is pretty much what happened in the Duggars' case.

People would be more sympathetic to the son if he had actually received treatment for what he did when he was 14/15 instead of being sent to a Fundamentalist Christian "treatment" facility in which he received almost no actual treatment and the founder of which himself may have sexually assaulted thirty women and girls. On top of it, he was saying that homosexuals and others were dangers to children when he himself had molested children and the acts had for all intents and purposes been covered up. Also, there's no evidence that he was ever apologetic for what he did until what he did became public. He was even caught cracking incest jokes on the Duggars' TV show.

What Josh Duggar has gone through has nothing to do with any normal employment situation that can be solved by Marxism or Leninism.

I wasn't relating or equating pedophilia to Communism. Yank your loving head out of your rear end.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 27, 2015

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm sorry about mentioning the government in the first place, god drat

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

it's insanely good when you get a homegrown hot take in the hot takes thread

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

it's insanely good when you get a homegrown hot take in the hot takes thread

Just like Josh Duggar got a homegrown hot...

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bip Roberts posted:

Just like Josh Duggar got a homegrown hot...
This is the journalism thread, not the Post Your own Fanfiction thread.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Welcome, to the communism MEGATHREAD

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Welcome, to the communism MEGATHREAD
Stalin totally cheered for the Cincinnati Reds.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I legitimately want to buy this shirt because it's sick

nothing screams the soviet union like the grungy early 90s look

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Stalin totally cheered for the Cincinnati Reds.
while putin prefers the albuquerque isotopes

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

while putin prefers the albuquerque isotopes
Actually those "in the know" say he prefers Swiss Young Boys

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 27, 2015

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The most Darren Rovell thing happened

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

Holy :lol:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He picked a terrible background for his senior picture there

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Why are sports people talking about Duggar
Why is Duggar a hot take sports magnet
What is Duggar

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I am not sure what any of that had to do with sports but in the future please do not use SAS as a depository for your Poli Sci 101 rants.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 27, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spoeank posted:

I'm surprised we're all still here, seeing as the universe just imploded

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Spoeank posted:

I like him too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Billy Haisley, word salad champion of Deadspin, just posted an article that opens with the following sentence:

quote:

It’s maybe a little disconcerting that Real Madrid—a players’ club if there ever was one; one where the 8th-biggest name on the team sheet likely holds more sway in the future direction of the club than any of the ever-changing coaches thrown aboard then unceremoniously shoved off the managerial merry-go-round after only a spin or two, left lying on the grass with the world spinning around them, unsure whether to be upset about getting kicked off before getting up to full speed or to be happy knowing that the sooner they got off, the quicker their brains would realign with the Earth’s natural rotation—had a locker room full of stars who repeatedly and without reservation vouched for their soon-to-be- (and yesterday, actually-) canned manager Carlo Ancelotti to no avail.

I had to read this about eight times to figure out what he was trying to say. What is it about La Liga writers that leads to ridiculous prose? (see: Lowe, Sid)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

Billy Haisley, word salad champion of Deadspin, just posted an article that includes the following sentence:

Jesus christ

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alain Post posted:

Jesus christ
Reminder that he literally wrote a ten-thousand-word article about Iker Casillas' relationship with Jose Mourinho earlier this year.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think you should probably not publish poo poo like that if you are going to release multiple articles on how bad Bill Simmons' writing is.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Isn't Haisley the guy who can't understand why someone would root for a local MLS team rather than a team that plays thousands of miles away in a city you have no connection to?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

zakharov posted:

Isn't Haisley the guy who can't understand why someone would root for a local MLS team rather than a team that plays thousands of miles away in a city you have no connection to?
Yes, because he thinks going to live sporting events serves no purpose unless they're of a certain level or higher. I think he also once basically called Kevin Durant an Uncle Tom in a rare NBA-related column. Now, the entire MLS rules and regulations system is awful and ridiculous, but that's a completely different discussion and he really doesn't care about that as much as "MLS isn't equal to La Liga so why even bother caring?"

EDIT: Billy Haisley lives in California, so it's not like he spends his days living in Spain as Sid Lowe does so he can see the general excitement surrounding La Liga up close and personally.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 27, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Even if you don't attend games it doesn't make sense to me. I cheer for New York teams because I am from here and live here. I have zero connection to Manchester, London, Madrid, Liverpool, Barcelona, etc. It's hard to fake enthusiasm for a team that feels so removed. Anyway I'm just rambling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Crazy Ted posted:

Yes, because he thinks going to live sporting events serves no purpose unless they're of a certain level or higher.

Sounds like a bad dumb man who will never know how much minor league baseball rules.