Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

MourningView posted:

this is a pretty stupid and obnoxious thing to be a pedant about

A pedant? I dunno I think he's right, as tragic as the bombing was it's ridiculous to hang the hero mantle on a bunch of baseball players for winning in the same year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Archo posted:

A pedant? I dunno I think he's right, as tragic as the bombing was it's ridiculous to hang the hero mantle on a bunch of baseball players for winning in the same year.

Did you not read the part where he complained about how they were defining the word "bombed"

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

morestuff posted:

Did you not read the part where he complained about how they were defining the word "bombed"

How is what I said not just a logical extention of that? It was lovely of MV to go spastic over something spoenk clearly didn't mean, and spoenk wasn't being a pedant. Cool your jets.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Archo posted:

How is what I said not just a logical extention of that? It was lovely of MV to go spastic over something spoenk clearly didn't mean, and spoenk wasn't being a pedant. Cool your jets.

I think he's right, but arguing over the use of a phrase because its connotation is not fully accurate is pretty much the definition of pedantry.

Archo
Nov 5, 2002
Anime King

Mornacale posted:

I think he's right, but arguing over the use of a phrase because its connotation is not fully accurate is pretty much the definition of pedantry.

Perhaps that's true and I'm sorry. I always attach a negative connotation to the word pedant and I shouldn't, but I didn't think he was being dickish. Sorry.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Personally I'd like the residents of Boston to not ever be happy again AND not be bombed, if that's possible.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Semantics aside, I think we can all agree that with clubhouse cancer rampant in the form of ne'er-do-wells like Sandoval and Ramirez, its high time Cherington puts the backpack in the proverbial trashcan and blows this team up.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Washington DC had to deal with an airplane crashing into its biggest employer AND still have all its sports teams be terrible for the next 15 years. That's way more heroic. Plus all the teams have terrible names.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Cleveland is Cleveland

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
:rip: Bob Barry jr

He died in a motorcycle accident yesterday

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Andy Benoit with takes so hot they melt steel beams

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

But the people make the horses go!

The horses would just stand there eating grass and trying to gently caress because that's all horses do really

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Sash! posted:

The horses would just stand there eating grass and trying to gently caress because that's all horses do really

spending an afternoon eating and loving sounds like a major win to me

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
If horse racing is a sport then so is BattleBots and if BattleBots is a sport then so are video games

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The true mark of a sport is whether you could actually have a date during it. Battlebots and video games are invalidated

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It counts as a sport if it was an integral part of medieval warfare.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

This checks out. Jockeys should also now (again) carry lances

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can we have a BattleBots thread in SAS?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ungratek posted:

This checks out. Jockeys should also now (again) carry lances

It really is too bad they don't let us have bloodsports any more that jousting show didn't work out

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sash! posted:

It really is too bad they don't let us have bloodsports any more that jousting show didn't work out
If I'm thinking about the same show you're thinking about, the main guys on that show were hilariously self-important.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Henchman of Santa posted:

Can we have a BattleBots thread in SAS?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3727170 It's in the punchsport forum.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
You nerds I was referring to the fact that he called all womens' sports unwatchable

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

You nerds I was referring to the fact that he called all womens' sports unwatchable
I obviously saw that, but I was more intrigued by his Tweet saying NASCAR was conducted "mostly" by people. Is there some history-making Golden Retriever driving in NASCAR races that we don't know about?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

There's nothing in the rules that says a dog can't be a NASCAR driver!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

I obviously saw that, but I was more intrigued by his Tweet saying NASCAR was conducted "mostly" by people. Is there some history-making Golden Retriever driving in NASCAR races that we don't know about?

I would watch NASCAR if they had a dog driver.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I'm pretty sure it would occupy the entirety of my DVR if this happened.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked Andy Benoit's tweet because it led to Jon Bois dropping the most Jon Boisian twitter burn:

quote:

dude that isn’t how you type an ellipsis. for someone who disrespects women you sure have a lot of periods

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I liked Andy Benoit's tweet because it led to Jon Bois dropping the most Jon Boisian twitter burn:

A burn so powerful it got Benoit to delete the tweet.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

AsInHowe posted:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Spoeank posted:

There's nothing in the rules that says a dog can't be a NASCAR driver!

Car Bud

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :thurman:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Crazy Ted posted:

I obviously saw that, but I was more intrigued by his Tweet saying NASCAR was conducted "mostly" by people.

Maybe he doesn't think Danica Patrick counts as people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've been saying for a while that Jeff Gordon is actually two raccoons in a trenchcoat.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Jon Bois is a treasure.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm still not convinced this actually happened. That's a hologram or something.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I appreciate being able to laugh at yourself.

https://vine.co/v/eJWZr7O9Eim

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

I appreciate being able to laugh at yourself.

https://vine.co/v/eJWZr7O9Eim

Hahahaha that's great

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/617383553215660032

Peter King with a hot take.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Competitive eating is pretty gross, I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

It's kinda hard to watch competitive eating normally, but it's goes from gross to awful after learning anything about food insecurity or the sheer tonnage of food thrown out by grocery stores on a regular basis. Like, I get that all 1) sports are inherently wasteful, 2) that the economic impact of caring for CTE or burning thousands of gallons of gasoline in racing is probably far larger, and 3) disliking a sport in this way makes me a hypocrite SJW beta bitch, but I think disgraceful is a pretty good description here.