Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Fly free, little Lowe.

Fly free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If he got Lowe and Keri that would be quite the coup.

Wait, so does this mean he's starting a new site? Is he Sterling Cooper Draper Prycing ESPN?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

If he got Lowe and Keri that would be quite the coup.

Wait, so does this mean he's starting a new site? Is he Sterling Cooper Draper Prycing ESPN?

In this analogy, I hope Barnwell is Kinsey.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Grantland is getting AV Clubbed.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
As long as he didn't bring David Shoemaker then that's awesome news.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Alain Post posted:

Grantland is getting AV Clubbed.

Hopefully it goes better than The Dissolve.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

ayn rand hand job posted:

Dave doesn't do hot takes (that's more of a Bryan thing) he just does ice cold burns though.

I mean other people's hot takes. That's why they're coming OUT of the monitor.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm guessing Lambert, Rembert, Lowe and Barnwell and I hope Greenwald quit and then Simmons laughed in his face and told him to eat poo poo.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like Greenwald. Steven Hyden can die irl though.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Alain Post posted:

I like Greenwald. Steven Hyden can die irl though.

I bear no personal ill will against him but holy jesus is he a boring, lovely writer

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Memnaelar posted:

Fly free, little Lowe.

Fly free.

Lowe can go wherever he wants, although ESPN probably helped land a lot of his podcast guests

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's been much easier for me, person who can't stand Lowe, to ignore him since he moved to ESPN.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Lowe feels too well-established to go out on a limb like this, especially because it seems like ESPN should be content to bring him aboard the mothership even if Grantland ends up folding.

I didn't read much of him at SI before he came to Grantland, but he'd be pretty well situated to just do his own thing in a more secure location no matter what, right? Plus there's the added benefit of not having to smile and nod at your boss's demonstrably incorrect basketball opinions + theories

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
On the other hand, people seem to like working for Simmons and I assume they'll want some people that actually cover sports for his sports show

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Every word of anything Greenwald does just screams "I AM TRYING SO HARD" and it's insufferable to me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Greenwald hated True Detective before it was cool so he's alright.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

xbilkis posted:

Lowe feels too well-established to go out on a limb like this, especially because it seems like ESPN should be content to bring him aboard the mothership even if Grantland ends up folding.

I didn't read much of him at SI before he came to Grantland, but he'd be pretty well situated to just do his own thing in a more secure location no matter what, right? Plus there's the added benefit of not having to smile and nod at your boss's demonstrably incorrect basketball opinions + theories

His column is basically the same as it was at SI. I'm pretty sure you just put him in a room with a laptop and maybe deliver some pizza to it sometimes.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i bet it's jacoby, rembert, fennessey and pappademas or chris ryan. no way are lowe or keri leaving espn for bill's new vanity project and i think pierce, lambert, greenwald and hyden have better options open to them career wise than hbo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ben Lindbergh is a possibility. He has a cross following from the BP Effectively Wild podcast. He'd be easy enough to poach and has built-in non-Grantland fans.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i forgot jacoby just got a radio show with jalen rose, so not him. make it ryan and pappademas or maybe shea serrano

General E
Aug 25, 2003

Simmons loves Rembert ... I can totally see him doing segments for Bill's show in the vein of the YouTube videos he did for Grantland.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm guessing Mark Lisanti is in that mix.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't get everyone desperately wanting Lowe to leave. He has like the best possible platform he could ever ask for.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I don't think anyone desperately wants Lowe to leave. At least not that I've read (except maybe the haters).

I just think that a few Grantlanders have been more open than others on their podcasts about how frustrated they were with Simmons' firing. Lowe was one of them and he has a pretty decent relationship with Simmons from everything I've seen and heard. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Simmons trying to hire him away and Lowe at least hearing him out (it's not like ESPN would ever put Lowe on TV again without Simmons insisting.)

*shrug*

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I would expect it mainly to be guys who would want to work behind the scenes on a tv show, so mainly the pop culture writers. Not someone like Lowe who constantly pumps out Tuesday articles and more.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

For whatever it's worth, right after that tweet about the four staffers jumping ship, Miller tweeted a statement from ESPN saying that seven other Grantland writers have reupped their contracts, also that Grantland is in the best shape of its life and that there's nothing to see here.

midwat
May 6, 2007

howe_sam posted:

For whatever it's worth, right after that tweet about the four staffers jumping ship, Miller tweeted a statement from ESPN saying that seven other Grantland writers have reupped their contracts, also that Grantland is in the best shape of its life and that there's nothing to see here.

It will be interesting to see which wins out: ESPN's indifference to Grantland or its desire to spite Bill Simmons.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
It doesn't do ESPN any good to get in a pissing match with Simmons. They'll probably just ignore anything he does, much like they do with their other frequent detractors (Deadspin).

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

hcreight posted:

It doesn't do ESPN any good to get in a pissing match with Simmons. They'll probably just ignore anything he does, much like they do with their other frequent detractors (Deadspin).

ESPN has no reason to acknowledge detractors it can instead just create its own storylines based off their own aggressively caustic personalities. They just treat criticism like they do hockey.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

MourningView posted:

I don't get everyone desperately wanting Lowe to leave. He has like the best possible platform he could ever ask for.

It's the best possible platform for readers but I'm sure he'd like his stuff to be promoted more by ESPN considering he is the best NBA writer they have.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

howe_sam posted:

So Grantland is TNA

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Saddams PR guy must have landed a job in Bristol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sportsgenius86 posted:

So Grantland is TNA

Grantland is proud to announce the signing of Bram to multi-year deal.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

quote:

Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch reported this evening that the four staffers leaving for the mystery Simmons project are Sean Fennessey, Juliet Litman, Mallory Rubin, and Chris Ryan. Going by who he poached here—not all that great a thing to be going on, admittedly—Simmons would seem to be setting up a more pop culture-based site than a sports-focused one.

In another big loss for the site, Deitsch also revealed that Grantland’s editorial director, Dan Fierman, is leaving the site to take up a position as vice president and editorial director of MTV News. Fierman was Simmons’ number two and helped found the site.

eh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Those people are all cool but nobody that I read every time they write something. Hell, they don't even contribute that regularly

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Admittedly I've never been a hardcore Grantland reader, but I've never heard of any of those people

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They're more on the pop culture side for the most part. Litman hosts the NBA After Dark podcast

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

they're all editors not writers. i guess simmons is getting a website along with his show. chris ryan and juliet litman do a lot of behind the scenes stuff with their video and podcasts, and litman put together grantland quarterly

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I never quite understood publishing a book of your website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rubin and Ryan were both editors on the sports side.