Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

But in fact, Newton doesn’t seem especially concerned by such thorny issues, what bothers him is being limited by any label at all. “It’s bigger than race,” he says. Apparently his supreme specialness transcends race, and we littles will get that about him in time.

hahahahaha jesus christ columnists are astoundingly full of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DJExile posted:

hahahahaha jesus christ columnists are astoundingly full of themselves.

Compare and Contrast:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Cam Newton wouldn't give me some bullshit comments on race to let me easily write a column and get a ton of free attention, so I'm going to be a big baby about it.

This will also be easy and get me a ton of free attention!

drat being a journalist is tough

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

This sets back women in sports journalism and its sad.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I don't particularly hate the Broncos but man I want to see the Panthers curb-stomp them on Sunday to see the reactions of Sally Jenkins and her ilk.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

commy gun posted:

By demonstrating they can be just as lovely as their male counterparts?

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

I'd worry that it sets a precedent that if you want to make it as a woman in sports journalism or broadcasting you have to be the hot take giver. Jemele Hill dabbles in it some too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

commy gun posted:

I get what you're saying here but sports journalism has been setting itself back for decades now, especially columnists.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Sally Jenkins, the thirty year sportswriter who was inducted into the sports writer HoF over a decade ago, has to deliver steaming hot takes to make it as a sportswriter?

Sally Jenkins problem is she's old and white and has stereotypical old and white opinions.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love that every article about how egomaniacal Athlete X is always includes a little line like this:

From that Jenkins article posted:

Then he shuffles away from the podium in socks and slippers, as if it’s too much trouble to dress properly for something as paltry as a news conference.

"Cam Newton is an egomaniac and the proof is that he didn't dress nicely enough when we went to ask him dumb inane questions, does he not realize how important we are?!"

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, imagine that:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Imagine how easily that line could be rewritten to 'So full of himself as to wear designer shoes to a basic press conference...'

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

commy gun posted:

I'd worry that it sets a precedent that if you want to make it as a woman in sports journalism or broadcasting you have to be the hot take giver. Jemele Hill dabbles in it some too.

The precedent is that to make it in sports journalism period you have to be a hot take giver.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Imagine how easily that line could be rewritten to 'So full of himself as to wear designer shoes to a basic press conference...'

A tailored suit that likely costs more than what Middle Class America pays for their cars!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

commy gun posted:

commy gun what the gently caress are you going on about

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe I'm overreacting (probably)

It just stings a little more when its a woman making an rear end of herself because there's far less female voices in the industry. You hope when an opinion gets traction from a woman its for quality work and not crap like Sally Jenkins take downs of Cam Newton and Robert Griffin.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

commy gun posted:

Maybe I'm overreacting (probably)

It just stings a little more when its a woman making an rear end of herself because there's far less female voices in the industry. You hope when an opinion gets traction from a woman its for quality work and not crap like Sally Jenkins take downs of Cam Newton and Robert Griffin.

I think that you're pulling out the femaleness from the dumb hot takiness.

The majority of sports journos are hot take machines these days.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

commy gun posted:

In the sense that fish dabble in water, yeah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Inspector_666 posted:

I love that every article about how egomaniacal Athlete X is always includes a little line like this:

"Cam Newton is an egomaniac and the proof is that he didn't dress nicely enough when we went to ask him dumb inane questions, does he not realize how important we are?!"

I like the part wear she somehow holds the basic I really want to win comment against him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
gently caress, black athletes can't win. It feels like if you embrace having swagger and playing the game at a high level, you're a "thug". Doesn't matter if you're actually involved in some criminal activity, because we all know what people who throw that word around really mean anyways.

But if you try and classily sidestep the issue of race and posit that peoples' dislike of you isn't based on such a tawdry, mean spirited, ugly thing like bigotry, then hey, you must be an uncle tom (at least according to dummies like the dude who implied RG III wasn't black enough, his name escapes me), or an egomaniac who thinks he can inspire hate with his "specialness". What the gently caress?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Christine Brennan has been making GBS threads out awful hot takes for many years and I don't think she was what was holding back women from advancing in sports media.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

El Gallinero Gros posted:

gently caress, black athletes can't win. It feels like if you embrace having swagger and playing the game at a high level, you're a "thug". Doesn't matter if you're actually involved in some criminal activity, because we all know what people who throw that word around really mean anyways.

But if you try and classily sidestep the issue of race and posit that peoples' dislike of you isn't based on such a tawdry, mean spirited, ugly thing like bigotry, then hey, you must be an uncle tom (at least according to dummies like the dude who implied RG III wasn't black enough, his name escapes me), or an egomaniac who thinks he can inspire hate with his "specialness". What the gently caress?

Rob Parker, Detroit's dumbest media personality.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The general dislike for athlete's having egos is ridiculous to me. Cam Newton earned the right to think he's good at football by being really good at football.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not to mention that I don't think there has been any point in Peyton Manning's life that he wasn't an arrogant SOB.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Eric the Mauve posted:

Not to mention that I don't think there has been any point in Peyton Manning's life that he wasn't an arrogant SOB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FlwJwL6kdo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

The general dislike for athlete's having egos is ridiculous to me. Cam Newton earned the right to think he's good at football by being really good at football.

What's incredible about this double standard is if you bring up a great player like Ty Cobb who was known for being an egotistical, bigoted, violent rear end in a top hat, they just brush it off as "it was different time then", as if that makes up for his behavior. Now, read this 1500 word "thinkpiece" on why I think Cam Newton is overrated, and should be replaced with Steve Beurelein.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
On the other hand, Russell Wilson is portrayed as a choir boy by the media. I haven't heard a single negative thing written or said about him. My guess is that his personality is "aww shucks,
between Jesus and visiting sick kids in the hospital I play a little football."

To be fair to RW, I don't think that's what he's really like, more like a persona the media created for him. I'm assuming he's just as "arrogant" as any highly successful athlete. It's funny how he gets a pass though.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Inspector_666 posted:

Hockey media does the same thing to PK Subban. It's not just ego, it really is skin color AND ego that they can't stand.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Disillusionist posted:

On the other hand, Russell Wilson is portrayed as a choir boy by the media. I haven't heard a single negative thing written or said about him. My guess is that his personality is "aww shucks,
between Jesus and visiting sick kids in the hospital I play a little football."

This is totally 100% the difference and it totally has nothing whatsoever to do with Wilson looking less black and acting less black"immature" than Newton.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

What's incredible about this double standard is if you bring up a great player like Ty Cobb who was known for being an egotistical, bigoted, violent rear end in a top hat, they just brush it off as "it was different time then", as if that makes up for his behavior. Now, read this 1500 word "thinkpiece" on why I think Cam Newton is overrated, and should be replaced with Steve Beurelein.
Most of the stuff written about Cobb previously was a fabrication on the part of his biographer, as we have learned in the last 10 or so years.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
When Cam was miked up this year he basically just talked poo poo the entire time, it's great

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

When Cam was miked up this year he basically just talked poo poo the entire time, it's great

He doesn't really talk poo poo at all in that other than making fun of the ref for looking young :confused:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

'bro i'm telling you my cadence game is ridiculous' lmao

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

He doesn't really talk poo poo at all in that other than making fun of the ref for looking young :confused:

Him getting in the defenders' faces and asking them why they're leaving, "the fishing's good here"

Edit: Oh weird, it looks like there's two different versions. Here's the one I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udHmx3H6bi8

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

morestuff posted:

Him getting in the defenders' faces and asking them why they're leaving, "the fishing's good here"

Edit: Oh weird, it looks like there's two different versions. Here's the one I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udHmx3H6bi8

Ok that makes a little more sense instead of none, but what they showed was still mostly a guy having fun.

Although I guess they could have cut a lot of trash talk. Someone here claimed QBs talk the most poo poo out of any position according to some former player which stuns me if true, I would have bet money it'd be receivers and corners jawing the most.

vv--fun of the not trash talk variety I meant. I kind of agree with that statement though.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 7, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, talking poo poo is fun. I'm including stuff like him dumping on Tolbert's dance and giving Olsen a hard time

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Who the gently caress cares if some dumbass NFL QB is an rear end in a top hat or isn't?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Who the gently caress cares if some dumbass NFL QB is an rear end in a top hat or isn't?

Columnists. Especially if the QB is black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Found the weirdest coat at a second hand store the other day:

Which immediately made me sad that Grantland doesn't exist anymore (despite its flaws) because they wrote a great article about Sports Phone like a year ago.

e: holy gently caress breaking tables