Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
SB Nation just released its peer review on the Daniel Holtzclaw story https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6553591/Peer_Review_Final.0.pdf

It's 15 pages, but well-worth reading if you're still wondering how such an obviously un-publishable story can get past so many editorial channels. Complete clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
People don't feel like supporting an outlet the has basically published rape videos for click bait and refused the victim family's request to take it down and support senior editors who are big enough assholes admitted they would publish sex tapes of 5 year old girls in sworn testimony during depositions, or that they basically outed a rival executive for no apparent reason other than he was the brother of a former secretary of treasury and worked at a direct rival and the entire editorial board came off like unhinged assholes

:shrug:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Benne posted:

SB Nation just released its peer review on the Daniel Holtzclaw story https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6553591/Peer_Review_Final.0.pdf

It's 15 pages, but well-worth reading if you're still wondering how such an obviously un-publishable story can get past so many editorial channels. Complete clusterfuck.

Stout does not come off looking good here, which is not that surprising:

quote:

"He described it more as, ‘This is a lower ­level editor who is a climber,’” says Arnold. “He's like, 'This happens a couple of times a year. People try to make a stink about a story as a way of making me look bad.' That's the way that he played it off, as, like, 'Hey, this is who it is. She's a female, and she's pretty opposed to the angle of the story that we're taking.'"

Stout disputes this. “I wouldn’t have described her as a climber,” he says. “I didn’t even know what her position was. I have no idea to this day.”

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Holy poo poo, the original pitch letter

quote:

Glenn,
I hope you're well.
I'm wondering if there is a story for SB Nation with the sad tale of Daniel Holtzclaw, the former OKC cop who was just convicted on 18 counts of an array of charges. I covered Daniel at Eastern Michigan for four years and find it interesting how in the matter of less than 10 years, he goes from All­American linebacker to shamed cop who is now looking at 260 years in prison for what he apparently did to 13 women while on duty as a cop.
It would take a lot of digging and sensitive storytelling, but I think
there is a long and winding story there.
The sad tale of a shamed cop who apparently did an array of things while on duty.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

exploding mummy posted:

People don't feel like supporting an outlet the has basically published rape videos for click bait and refused the victim family's request to take it down and support senior editors who are big enough assholes admitted they would publish sex tapes of 5 year old girls in sworn testimony during depositions, or that they basically outed a rival executive for no apparent reason other than he was the brother of a former secretary of treasury and worked at a direct rival and the entire editorial board came off like unhinged assholes

You can dislike Gawker and still recognize that a billionaire oligarch bleeding them dry through various unrelated lawsuits is bad

How is it this hard to understand.

midwat
May 6, 2007

exploding mummy posted:

Yeah, I understand there's a perpetual debate as to where the line between "responsible reporting" and "irresponsible bullshit" is, but Gawker clearly passed it long ago.

E: Thiel bankrolling the lawsuit doesn't mean it lacks merit. Gawker has no one but itself to blame for its current predicament.

midwat fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 26, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

FMguru posted:

Holy poo poo, the original pitch letter
The sad tale of a shamed cop who apparently did an array of things while on duty.

Yeah, that's what really stuck out to me. The author's intentions were crystal-clear right from Day 1.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
Reminder that Thiel is a loving horrible gross person who has funded that James O'Keefe guy who is a worse journo than Gawker could ever hope to be but that's fine right

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/conservative-facebook-investor-funded-anti-acorn-videographer-6687024

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

KFBR392 posted:

Reminder that Thiel is a loving horrible gross person who has funded that James O'Keefe guy who is a worse journo than Gawker could ever hope to be but that's fine right

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/conservative-facebook-investor-funded-anti-acorn-videographer-6687024

People are not denying Peter Thiel has also done bad things

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

KFBR392 posted:

You've made 11 posts in this thread, zero before yesterday, and all of them are about how much you hate Pete Thiel.

I think you've made your point pretty clear, champ. Got anything else to add to the thread?

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

GoutPatrol posted:

People are not denying Peter Thiel has also done bad things

My point is that this is not the guy who you want to be doing this if your goal is a principled stand against bullshit overstepping media. This is a rich guy with a personal vendetta and this is going to have really really bad consequences, the least of which is enabling others of his ilk to do the same.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Benne posted:

You've made 11 posts in this thread, zero before yesterday, and all of them are about how much you hate Pete Thiel.

I think you've made your point pretty clear, champ. Got anything else to add to the thread?

It's interesting topic of which I have some personal knowledge and I don't think you're the loving post police buddy

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011
Holy poo poo we get it, you don't like Peter Thiel. Who cares if its because of personal knowledge or not?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

KFBR392 posted:

It's interesting topic of which I have some personal knowledge and I don't think you're the loving post police buddy

We're all the posting police, gently caress off nobody gives a poo poo about your personal agenda

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I wonder how much the poor defenseless put-upon multimillionaire Nick Denton is paying KFBR392 to plead his case

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Actually Peter Thrill is a great guy and he is good friends with me.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

projecthalaxy posted:

I wonder how much the poor defenseless put-upon multimillionaire Nick Denton is paying KFBR392 to plead his case

A battle between gay millionaire and gay billionaire, waged as proxy war by hulk hogan and bubba the love sponge. When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Benne posted:

Impressive timing on the release there

Re: Gawker, as many on these very forums are fond of saying, freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

No Safe Word posted:

We're all the posting police, gently caress off nobody gives a poo poo about your personal agenda

Okay got it. We shouldn't post about stuff that interests us or we have personal interests in. Thanks dipshit rear end in a top hat who is not a mod.

PS: I don't have personal knowledge of Peter Thiel or this case but let's just say I know a bit about the ol first amendment and press freedom issues.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Benne posted:

What a night-and-day difference between what is a fairly extensive autopsy on the entire structure of SB Nation and Bill Simmon's pithy "we"a culpa after the Dr. V controversy.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Gerund posted:

What a night-and-day difference between what is a fairly extensive autopsy on the entire structure of SB Nation and Bill Simmon's pithy "we"a culpa after the Dr. V controversy.

Weird to see dudes that I sorta know, like Mensching involved. I didn't know he was a major editor there.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

midwat posted:

E: Thiel bankrolling the lawsuit doesn't mean it lacks merit. Gawker has no one but itself to blame for its current predicament.

To be fair to Gawker, they have really cleaned up their act after they basically paid Daulerio to go the gently caress away and after Tommy Craggs and Max Read took their ball and went home following the takedown of the Geithner story (which is still one of the most unbelievable clusterfucks I've ever seen).

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

I'm gonna miss deadspin. It was easier to go there and see whatever sports story was big and new than anywhere else honestly.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

One the one hand, you have Peter Thiel doing something that used to be illegal.
One the other hand, you have Nick Denton painting this case as the end of the 1st Amendment and wrote an open letter today full of I ME MY I I I I I ME ME ME

Ideally both hands get chopped off.

Also, yes Peter Thiel had come out as gay to friends before the Valleywag piece in 2007, but coming out of the closet to close friends and coming out of the closet publicly are two completely different things. Especially so in a Silicon Valley world consisting of alpha male tech bros.

midwat
May 6, 2007

Timby posted:

To be fair to Gawker, they have really cleaned up their act after they basically paid Daulerio to go the gently caress away and after Tommy Craggs and Max Read took their ball and went home following the takedown of the Geithner story (which is still one of the most unbelievable clusterfucks I've ever seen).

This may well be the case (I've stopped visiting their sites), but it's hard to tell if they've cleaned up or are merely in hibernation between doing terrible things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ramadu posted:

I'm gonna miss deadspin. It was easier to go there and see whatever sports story was big and new than anywhere else honestly.
The last time I went to Deadspin the first 5 of 6 articles were links to other Gawker Media sites about non-sports stuff

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

midwat posted:

This may well be the case (I've stopped visiting their sites), but it's hard to tell if they've cleaned up or are merely in hibernation between doing terrible things.

They still have some terrible writers on Deadspin -- Billy Haisley and Barry Petchesky in particular -- but they've really, really moved away from the predatory, tabloid-esque stories that were going on under Daulerio and Craggs; it feels like there's a lot more management of the content. Craggs' resignation screed is particularly telling; it was basically him using 2,000 words to say, "no, gently caress you, Dad, I'll publish what I want" after Gawker's entire executive management team essentially said "what the gently caress were you thinking?" to the Geithner story, and in the aftermath he tried to frame it as the story bothering the ad sales folks, instead of admitting, "Wow, poo poo, we had no reason to out this guy and ruin his marriage outside of just not liking his employer."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Anyone else here reading The Only Rule Is It Has To Work? I couldn't stand Lindbergh at Grantland because I thought he was incredibly tedious, but I'm about halfway through and really enjoying this. In case anyone here isn't a giant baseball nerd it's about two Baseball Prospectus writers who took over an independent league team for a season and tried to use sabermetrics to vault them to the top of their four-team league, but it's mainly about trying to run a professional baseball team as a giant baseball dork and it's really fun.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

Anyone else here reading The Only Rule Is It Has To Work? I couldn't stand Lindbergh at Grantland because I thought he was incredibly tedious, but I'm about halfway through and really enjoying this. In case anyone here isn't a giant baseball nerd it's about two Baseball Prospectus writers who took over an independent league team for a season and tried to use sabermetrics to vault them to the top of their four-team league, but it's mainly about trying to run a professional baseball team as a giant baseball dork and it's really fun.

I just picked it up last night. I think it's the first targeted Facebook ad I've clicked on, too.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

R.D. Mangles posted:

I got it from the library a few days ago and it started out a little slow but their plotting at the league's pre-draft tryouts was pretty cool. And holy poo poo, they got SportsVu to hook them up with a PitchF/X setup at their sub-Frontier League independent league home field. I'm looking forward to reading the rest, should be a nice way to spend the holiday weekend.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I started a couple days ago and it's really good and way fun than I expected. I didn't like Lindbergh much either but it got enough good reviews that I gave it a shot and I'm glad I did

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Crazy Ted posted:

One the one hand, you have Peter Thiel doing something that used to be illegal.
One the other hand, you have Nick Denton painting this case as the end of the 1st Amendment and wrote an open letter today full of I ME MY I I I I I ME ME ME

Ideally both hands get chopped off.

Also, yes Peter Thiel had come out as gay to friends before the Valleywag piece in 2007, but coming out of the closet to close friends and coming out of the closet publicly are two completely different things. Especially so in a Silicon Valley world consisting of alpha male tech bros.

It was well known in the Valley.

He was not worried about word getting further out in the Valley and in America.

He was worried about the effect it would have on the rich Saudis and Russians he was courting as LPs for eventual VC funds and for his hedge fund. It being confirmed in the press was different than he said she said stuff from other (possibly rival) Valley hotshots. Because if there is one thing a rich rear end in a top hat libertarian gay dude cares about more than individual liberties and preventing state coercion it's sucking at the teat of fundamentalist oil bucks.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Two rich people using their power to gently caress with one another. Why do we have to pick a side? Both seem like assholes.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Didn't know Peter Thiel was a goon, that is pretty cool.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

Niwrad posted:

Two rich people using their power to gently caress with one another. Why do we have to pick a side? Both seem like assholes.

Because one side fucks with the other by exposing a powerful and politically active individual as a hypocrite and refusing to provide fawning coverage of his business activities, while the other fucks with the other side by establishing a pattern and precedent related to bankrupting media entities via targeted litigation.

Gawker is not a person and if y'all can't see the chilling effect this is going to have then I'm sorry. Thiel doesn't give a poo poo about Hulk Hogan's cuck vid beyond how it will benefit his vendetta.

Remember that Thiel, a gay man, wrote this

quote:

Much [homosexual] behavior is being conducted in public, for the express purpose of shocking and offending others. The shock is then called 'homophobia' and is used as evidence of the oppression and victimization of homosexuals.

And was and is active in Federalist society and conservative/libertarian political circles. His homosexuality was a matter of public importance and he is and has been a public figure by virtue of his wealth and specific political activity.

If this was just Hogan or some unconnected individual who firmly believed in Hogan's case financing this mess then I'd be way less concerned. But what you're seeing here is literally a soft skinned rich public figure going "I don't like the way they covered me and my businesses" and deciding to try and bankrupt a press entity.

In effect he's running an end around on private/public figure right to privacy jurisprudence because he's rich as gently caress. This is a Really Big Deal.

KFBR392 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 27, 2016

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hi Peter Thiel Megathread, I just want to contribute to that mini-derail up the page that I really liked The Only Rule is it has to Work but I listen to Effectively Wild religiously so I'm 100% the target audience.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
It's gonna be great when dudes like Dan Snyder and Stan Kroenke use this method to go after reporters who dig into their stadium shenanigans.

For this exercise, ignore the Hogan case and look at the ongoing email inventer and tindr harassment ones, which are extremely tenuous.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is the book worth buying new or should I wait for the paperback? Also has anyone read The Arm by Jeff Passan? I picked it up because it sounded interesting but haven't gotten around to it yet.

KFBR392 posted:

Gawker is not a person and if y'all can't see the chilling effect this is going to have then I'm sorry. Thiel doesn't give a poo poo about Hulk Hogan's cuck vid beyond how it will benefit his vendetta.

No, it's a company that was estimated to be worth a quarter of a billion dollars. A company that plays the system just like all the other rich folks. They have their offshore tax havens and skirt labor laws in this country. They aren't some downtrodden blog run by a guy living out of a studio apartment. They have more than enough financial resources to fight for their right to post revenge porn on the internet.

They lost their case in a court of law. Perhaps that gets overturned on appeals. It's an interesting case on what is and isn't fair game. But countless media outlets have gone after wealthy people and not had these issues. Then again those companies don't hire editors who say that 5 years old and up is fair game for posting a sex tape.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Then again those companies don't hire editors who say that 5 years old and up is fair game for posting a sex tape.
Or alternatively, turn to crowdfunding to try to pay for dick shots of athletes that have not been released to the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The five year old thing was yet another example of him being a smarmy rear end in a top hat and was dumb as hell under the circumstance but it was also really obvious that he wasn't being serious.