Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Niwrad posted:

Is the book worth buying new or should I wait for the paperback? Also has anyone read The Arm by Jeff Passan? I picked it up because it sounded interesting but haven't gotten around to it yet.

The Arm is decent but is definitely paperback fodder. The Only Rule is much better but depending on your threshold for shelling out the extra for a hard cover, it might not be worth it to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Niwrad posted:

Also has anyone read The Arm by Jeff Passan? I picked it up because it sounded interesting but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Nothing groundbreaking, but it's definitely worth reading.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I am sad nyloncalculus is no more. Good news is I am a Bucks fans and they hired the dude.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Hand Row posted:

I am sad nyloncalculus is no more. Good news is I am a Bucks fans and they hired the dude.

Nothing's happening with the site, Seth's just not writing as much anymore. Ian Levy and the other writers will still be posting.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I'm sure we've all read it, and it's not really sports but,
Joe Pos on Hamilton, with postscript :unsmith:

Seeing Adam Savage of all people tweeting about this was weird.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

morestuff posted:

Nothing's happening with the site, Seth's just not writing as much anymore. Ian Levy and the other writers will still be posting.

Oh good I thought I missed something! I like my numbers

howe_sam posted:

I'm sure we've all read it, and it's not really sports but,
Joe Pos on Hamilton, with postscript :unsmith:

Seeing Adam Savage of all people tweeting about this was weird.

poo poo yeah, I read this when it dropped baby. I'm still reading it. I fuckin love it dude. Get away from me with links about Hamilton

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 1, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Looks like The Ringer has launched, but it must be getting hammered. Won't fully load on my phone.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's working for me. Gonna dive into some of these articles. Also Simmons' headshot is crying Jordan for some reason.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah, must have just been my connection. Looking over the site, apparently all the people I really liked moved on and the people I thought were a little irritating stuck with Simmons. Grantland's staff took a little bit to click, too, so I assume they'll poach some interesting people and get to a good place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Yeah, must have just been my connection. Looking over the site, apparently all the people I really liked moved on and the people I thought were a little irritating stuck with Simmons. Grantland's staff took a little bit to click, too, so I assume they'll poach some interesting people and get to a good place.

I see Bryan Curtis, Danny Chau and netw3rk on there already, and those people are pretty great. Sucks that Holly Anderson moved on from sports and I have to search through ESPN or MTV News to get Lowe or Brian Phillips.

Also as an AP Style copy editor, I'm glad they're tackling the real issue of spelling internet lowercase.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 1, 2016

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Chau's fine but not great as apparently the lead basketball writer. Most of Curtis' stuff I just find frustrating, he'll take kind of an obvious point and circle it for 2000 words.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

jackass sports talk radio host blames rape victim, film at 11.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

I grew up in the area and I've never even heard of that dude. What a douche.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

I grew up in the area and I've never even heard of that dude. What a douche.

Yeah I think this is a pretty low-tier station in Detroit. 97.1 is the big one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I grew up with 97.1 unless the radio was the only option for a Pistons game. I just texted my dad about it and he said he listens to the guy all the time though.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

A friend of mine used to be one of their promo girls, that guy creeped on all of her Facebook photos, it was really creepy, but also hilarious.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

How can you be dumb enough to say that out loud in 2016?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Veshpo posted:

I think he started by trying to say "You need to be careful in those situations, and knowing how to avoid them is important, because the world we live in is lovely." Which isn't victim blaming because it stands alongside "He committed sexual assault and should be prosecuted". However, it seems like he lost control of his message along the way somewhere.

Also, sports announcers just shouldn't try to contextualize this stuff, it never goes well.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Veshpo posted:

This guy is really, really stupid. Can't be emphasized enough.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Veshpo posted:

It's one of those "little of column A, little of column B" things. Morning talk show hosts are there to get the callers, and that's still easy to do by dropping some idiot takes, whether the host actually believes it or not. At the same time, I can safely tell you after working in radio for about 10 years that you're not exactly putting Mensa members on the microphone for any sort of news or sports talk show.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I wish Rembert Browne still wrote about stuff I care about, would have loved to see him hop over to the Ringer. This Joe Buck piece is pretty good too

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

morestuff posted:

Looks like The Ringer has launched, but it must be getting hammered.

I just went to The Ringer, and the first headline I saw was "Joe Buck Is Underrated".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It's a good piece though!

It's only for people of a certain political persuasion, but Jon Favreau's piece on Obama was good too.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

YeahTubaMike posted:

I just went to The Ringer, and the first headline I saw was "Joe Buck Is Underrated".

to be fair, he's improved a hell of a lot since calling Randy Moss pretend mooning Green Bay "The most despicable act in the history of mankind"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

howe_sam posted:

It's a good piece though!

It is but reading Joe Buck using cuss words is super awkward.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Does Simmons even write anymore? Because it doesn't look like anything by him is anywhere on the site.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TL posted:

Does Simmons even write anymore? Because it doesn't look like anything by him is anywhere on the site.

I'd argue his strength is more putting together talent and letting them run with things at this point in his career, so I wouldn't be terribly troubled if he mostly gave it up and only wrote something now and then.

e: Well 'letting them run with things' sounds dismissive, I'm sure he has some level of input in a bunch of stuff.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Henchman of Santa posted:

It is but reading Joe Buck using cuss words is super awkward.

I'm happier to know he's JAG rather than the weird Jim Nantz bran is the best breakfast food, called out a golfer for an error on their score card, "you have to take my tie before you celebrate, young man" same stiff rear end in a top hat he is off camera as well as on.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

TL posted:

He's launching a show in under a month and probably cares way more about that

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah that's true too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Grittybeard posted:

e: Well 'letting them run with things' sounds dismissive, I'm sure he has some level of input in a bunch of stuff.

It shouldn't be dismissive though, the willingness to trust the people you've hired and leave them alone to do their thing is an ultra rare talent among executives.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Chuck Klosterman did a piece in GQ about the future of football that I thought was really good but flawed. I don't normally like Klosterman either. I think he's obnoxious and totally up his own rear end, but this really worked. My only argument is he's only looking at it from a fan perspective (he's essentially arguing against Malcolm Gladwell's point that in 25 years football will be dead), but pretty much refuses to address (Football is supported at a young age and kids are brought up playing it from age 10 on. If parents pull those kids from playing it, where does the talent come from?). Either way, still a very good piece and I found his arguments compelling.

http://www.gq.com/story/chuck-klosterman-excerpt-will-violence-save-football?platform=hootsuite

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Joe Buck is another one of the most dangerous types of dudes, the guy who keeps talking about how laid back he is.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Akileese posted:

My only argument is he's only looking at it from a fan perspective (he's essentially arguing against Malcolm Gladwell's point that in 25 years football will be dead), but pretty much refuses to address (Football is supported at a young age and kids are brought up playing it from age 10 on. If parents pull those kids from playing it, where does the talent come from?).

I think the best argument against talent attrition is that lower income families are going to be less likely (or at least slower) to stop their kids from playing football, and football pulls much of its talent from those families. The bigger concern is going to be high schools dropping it altogether because of safety concerns. The second scenario he lists, and tries to refute is pretty much how I envision it

quote:

It becomes a regional sport, primarily confined to places where football is ingrained in the day-to-day culture (Florida, Texas, etc.). Its fan base resembles that of contemporary boxing—rich people watching poor people play a game they would never play themselves. The NFL persists through sheer social pervasiveness—a system that's too big to fail and too economically essential to too many micro-economies.
Edit: Simmons moderating a Gladwell-Klosterman debate on the future of football would be a hell of a first episode for the HBO show.

Veshpo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 2, 2016

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
SEC territory will keep high school football alive for a long long time.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Klosterman exerpt is cool. It's building (if not very similar) off of his article about the same thing for Grantland. I imagine a bunch of his essays for this new book will probably do the same.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I won't read the new Grantland unless it has hilarious reviews of celebrity cook-off shows.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Akileese posted:

Chuck Klosterman did a piece in GQ about the future of football that I thought was really good but flawed. I don't normally like Klosterman either. I think he's obnoxious and totally up his own rear end, but this really worked. My only argument is he's only looking at it from a fan perspective (he's essentially arguing against Malcolm Gladwell's point that in 25 years football will be dead), but pretty much refuses to address (Football is supported at a young age and kids are brought up playing it from age 10 on. If parents pull those kids from playing it, where does the talent come from?). Either way, still a very good piece and I found his arguments compelling.

http://www.gq.com/story/chuck-klosterman-excerpt-will-violence-save-football?platform=hootsuite

Interesting piece. While I don't necessarily agree with every point, it's pretty compelling.

One thing I think it ignores is one of the other ugly sides of football- the actual scummy business. The NFL strong arms everyone is seems. The media, the government, tax payers. It's all insane the poo poo they get away with. I live in St. Louis and followed the Rams situation closely and it still boggles my mind how the whole process went down.

It just seems like the combination of how dangerous it is with the NFL's "gently caress you, got mine" attitude has to bite them in the rear end at some point, doesn't it?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well the gently caress you attitude works about 90 percent of the time when it comes to getting a new stadium. There is an attrition that eventually gains traction on what society views as worthwhile and what must be stopped. It's pretty irrefutable that the game gives people CTE and can destiny ones body.

However in North America we still allow boxing. A slow and gradual decline does seem likely but I'm thinking in terms of decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I really dug that Klosterman article, the boxing analogy seems totally on point to me. I'm a fairly big college football fan and watch every Hawkeyes game every season, but if/when I have kids I almost certainly can't see them giving a gently caress about football, especially compared to baseball and soccer because of the stuff Klosterman talks about; it really feels like football is becoming a conservative "thing" like Nascar, and I don't see that trend reversing.

Essentially, I can't imagine a world in which a teenager raised in a white liberal house in 2030 doesn't completely roll their eyes at football like current ones do at UFC or boxing or Nascar