Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Waffles Inc. posted:

Essentially, I can't imagine a world in which a teenager raised in a white liberal house in 2030 doesn't completely roll their eyes at football like current ones do at UFC or boxing or Nascar

Yeah, that's basically the point that I was making (and that I'm sure a lot have made), that the people most likely to keep their kids from playing football for the next few decades haven't been a major part of football's talent pipeline for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Waffles Inc. posted:

Essentially, I can't imagine a world in which a teenager raised in a white liberal house in 2030 doesn't completely roll their eyes at football like current ones do at UFC or boxing or Nascar

While I agree with the general idea that parents will start holding their kids out of football over well-founded concerns about their health this part is a pretty big stretch. Teenagers, especially the great big strong ones, will probably always love football because they think they're invincible and its one of the few avenues in life where you can run around crashing into other people. What gets lost in a lot of these discussions is the fact that football is just really drat fun to play and plenty of people of a variety of political persuasions will find a way to rationalize away the health risks because they enjoy doing it so much.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

ego symphonic posted:

While I agree with the general idea that parents will start holding their kids out of football over well-founded concerns about their health this part is a pretty big stretch. Teenagers, especially the great big strong ones, will probably always love football because they think they're invincible and its one of the few avenues in life where you can run around crashing into other people. What gets lost in a lot of these discussions is the fact that football is just really drat fun to play and plenty of people of a variety of political persuasions will find a way to rationalize away the health risks because they enjoy doing it so much.

I think this might be true in terms of playing the game for a few years in high school but I think the health risks and stigmas that come with it will eventually push these people from pursuing it beyond that. Like Chuck said, this will be based on class and region.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
As long as this country has an endless supply of poor black kids whose only conceivable way out is athletics, football will be somewhat ok.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Interesting piece. While I don't necessarily agree with every point, it's pretty compelling.

One thing I think it ignores is one of the other ugly sides of football- the actual scummy business. The NFL strong arms everyone is seems. The media, the government, tax payers. It's all insane the poo poo they get away with. I live in St. Louis and followed the Rams situation closely and it still boggles my mind how the whole process went down.

It just seems like the combination of how dangerous it is with the NFL's "gently caress you, got mine" attitude has to bite them in the rear end at some point, doesn't it?

Charlie Pierce just did a piece about the corruption and scummy nature of the NFL for SI and no surprise, it's really good. I've really burnt out on the NFL majorly over the last 5-7 years. Every year I seem to care less and less about what happens and stuff like their general attitude towards..well, everyone who isn't a billionaire owner, just turns me off even more.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/31/nfl-concussion-congress-roger-goodell

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Akileese posted:

Charlie Pierce just did a piece about the corruption and scummy nature of the NFL for SI and no surprise, it's really good. I've really burnt out on the NFL majorly over the last 5-7 years. Every year I seem to care less and less about what happens and stuff like their general attitude towards..well, everyone who isn't a billionaire owner, just turns me off even more.

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/31/nfl-concussion-congress-roger-goodell

You're not the only one. Same here.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, I completely stopped watching the NFL a few years ago. My last straw was the Raven's "Janay Rice apologizes for her role" tweet. A lot of Pierce's points he brings up were pushing me that way for a while too.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

BWV posted:

I think this might be true in terms of playing the game for a few years in high school but I think the health risks and stigmas that come with it will eventually push these people from pursuing it beyond that. Like Chuck said, this will be based on class and region.

Yeah I completely agree with this. I think that the lower income demographics will continue to play football, while the middle and upper class folks do away with it, which will create a class component that doesn't exist in the sport at the lower levels right now.

I think at this point a rich family and a poor family could have football playing sons in common and that's like, totally fine and a nice "bonding" point. But as more and more dangers are shown and concerned upper class families pull their kids out of the sport, it'll become culturally/class stratified in the same way, like, monster truck racing or some poo poo.

Right now you could make movies about football and have the character either be richie rich or from the wrong side of the tracks and it makes perfect sense. Eventually it won't make sense for a football playing protagonist to be wealthy, so to speak. Especially since middle/upper class athletes will have basketball, soccer and baseball (not to mention lacrosse and other sports that are already class stratified)

It'll be an interesting few decades, I think

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dang that's a good read

quote:

The difference between what the East German officials did to their athletes, and the NFL’s stonewalling on what it knew to be the truth about what repeated concussions were doing to its players, is a difference of moral degree, but not of moral kind. If you are profiting personally from the damage inflicted on the people earning you your money, and if you’re lying to them about the nature and extent of the damage, you’re pretty much a vampire and should be shamed from the company of decent people

-------------

I used to think that HS football would eventually just be phased out of wealthier communities once some 14 year old died from head trauma due to lawsuit fears, but the number of times that's actually happened over the last five years has made me realize it's a lot more socially entrenched. Kind of like how an article a week about some toddler picking up a gun and shooting someone doesn't ever change anything either. It's going to take quite awhile for that to penetrate and really regionalize or economically hit the sport.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 3, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Ringer looks great on a tablet. Whoever did the design and the artwork on the articles did a great job.

Haven't dug too much into the site yet but man they sure do like covering Game of Thrones.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

The Ringer looks great on a tablet. Whoever did the design and the artwork on the articles did a great job.

Haven't dug too much into the site yet but man they sure do like covering Game of Thrones.

Well yeah, it's in association with HBO

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I know there's a Baylor thread in the football subforum but I thought this was an... interesting media moment.

quote:

Ken Starr, the recently ousted president of Baylor, appeared to concede in an on-camera interview that he had seen a former student's email alleging she had been raped, before a Republican public relations expert interrupted him mid-answer and asked the local television station not to include that portion in its segment.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

The Ringer looks great on a tablet.

It looks like it's built on WordPress, and depending on the theme that's used (and how adept you are at modifying the PHP to suit your needs) that's probably the best CMS to use if you want it to look good across multiple screen sizes / devices.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Medium built the site for them, I always assumed they have their own platform.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

One thing I think it ignores is one of the other ugly sides of football- the actual scummy business. The NFL strong arms everyone is seems. The media, the government, tax payers. It's all insane the poo poo they get away with. I live in St. Louis and followed the Rams situation closely and it still boggles my mind how the whole process went down.

It just seems like the combination of how dangerous it is with the NFL's "gently caress you, got mine" attitude has to bite them in the rear end at some point, doesn't it?

Let's disregard everything about the safety of football as a whole, all of that, and just look at the NFL.

The NFL under Goodell is slowly killing itself for every possible penny, and that will catch up to it. In 2010, Goodell stated that he wants the NFL's revenue to go from $8.5 billion to $25 billion. Right now, it's up to $13 billion in seven years.

The question is, where is that money gonna come from? Strong-arming everyone to get everything out of every current contract has only grown things by $4.5 billion, and cost the league a ton of relationship-building in the process. There's no other room to grow in things, as almost everything NFL is maxed out to the point of excess, going against logical growth.

Raising prices in everything eventually burns people out. TV contracts have reached a breaking point, as the current contracts are choking out the networks that own them. Increasing games would cause a backlash, as even Thursday Night games tick everyone off.

The backlash against the NFL has just begun, and it's only getting worse, especially if the league thinks its CEO mindset of believing that anything they say will be treated as gospel gets exposed and eroded.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I remember Simmons saying Grantland was never compatible with phones/tablets, he probably wanted to change that

Speaking of which, Simmons actually wrote something (on Durant)

https://theringer.com/kevin-durant-thunder-conundrum-4b1689d4002c#.b6w5kafbv

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I guess it's good that it looks nice on mobile because it looks pretty lovely in a PC browser.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vertical Lime posted:

I remember Simmons saying Grantland was never compatible with phones/tablets, he probably wanted to change that

Speaking of which, Simmons actually wrote something (on Durant)

https://theringer.com/kevin-durant-thunder-conundrum-4b1689d4002c#.b6w5kafbv

If I'm remembering what Simmons was saying about phones/tablets it was that there never was a Grantland app. Grantland the website worked pretty well on mobile devices, or at least I thought so.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah Grantland had a fine mobile site that was one of the only reasons I read it because it was relegated to poopin browsing for me.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mozi posted:

I know there's a Baylor thread in the football subforum but I thought this was an... interesting media moment.

Holy poo poo! I guess if it's not the president he's not interested, huh?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 4, 2016

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mozi posted:

Very interesting that the media as a whole is reporting that's it's a Republican PR advisor who was trying to call the shots, Merrie Spaeth. Let's see what else she's done before.

quote:

During the 2004 presidential campaign, Spaeth advised the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, a group that questioned the Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry’s Vietnam War record.

quote:

After moving to Dallas with her husband, Spaeth founded Spaeth Communications in 1987, where she is the President. The strategic training and crisis management firm is known for its unique methodology. In addition to its crisis management, training and consulting services, Spaeth publishes monthly the BIMBO Memo(c) which recognizes monthly communication missteps.

quote:

Former NFL player Craig James hired Spaeth Communications to advise on the alleged mistreatment of his son, AJ, a Texas Tech football player. Mike Leach was later dismissed by Texas Tech and he later sued Spaeth Communications, Texas Tech, and ESPN.

What a track record of scumbaggery, by, amazingly enough, a Texas Republican!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah Grantland had a fine mobile site that was one of the only reasons I read it because it was relegated to poopin browsing for me.

I remember this distinctly but for something like the first two or three months Grantland ran the mobile site, at least on iPhones, had huge font you couldn't adjust so it was a loving pain to read. They fixed it pretty quickly though.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Quick work by The Ringer to get Olbermann to write a piece on Ali.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Not a dis, but I think most of those guys have had their Ali stories written for years, maybe going back every few months to add something.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

Not a dis, but I think most of those guys have had their Ali stories written for years, maybe going back every few months to add something.

Not sure if feature writers do this, but it's a common practice to do that for obituaries for elderly celebrities.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

TL posted:

Not sure if feature writers do this, but it's a common practice to do that for obituaries for elderly celebrities.

Obligatory Gerald Ford was eaten by wolves reference

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

You forgot to mention that he was delicious.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Eric the Mauve posted:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

And included here is an interview with the man who wrote Ali's New York Times obituary:

http://www.si.com/boxing/2016/06/04/muhammad-ali-death-media-coverage

quote:

He’s been on the story since 1964, so of course he was the natural choice to write the final chapter. Six years ago, Bill McDonald, the obituary editor of The New York Times, contacted Robert Lipsyte with what most writers would consider an intimidating, near impossible, task: Write the obituary for Muhammad Ali.

The writing stakes were enormous: This was a Page One obituary on arguably the most famous living person. It would be a piece read long after Lipsyte, McDonald and, quite frankly, all of us are gone.

There was no word count given, only the idea that it would be long and on Page One of the Paper of Record. For weeks, Lipsyte walked around the assignment, unable to start it given its importance.

“I have an enormous collection of books and articles on Clay/Ali and my own notebooks go back to February 1964, before the first Liston fight,” Lipsyte said on Saturday. “That’s when I met him. Since then I’ve always considered myself on the story, unquestionably my most significant personally and maybe professionally, too. So, I was most concerned about not leaving something crucial out of the obit, about missing some piece of the puzzle, some fact or someone’s interesting observation. It felt like a major responsibility.”

​Lipsyte was one of the youngest reporters at Ali’s first title fight in 1964 against Sonny Liston (“The Times’s real boxing reporter didn’t think it was worth his time, thank goodness,” he said) and both careers unspooled at the same time. The two were of similar age (Lipsyte is four years older) and Lipsyte found Ali endlessly interesting. I asked him what emotions he felt writing about one of the subjects that defined his professional career.

“I feel sad now, but I didn’t feel sad while writing the obit because the tone had to be factual, impersonal, the Times’s version of the last word,” Lipsyte said. “I could quote terrific writers like Dave Kindred, Jack Newfield and Tom Hauser in places an informed opinion was necessary that shouldn’t be mine. Or Red Smith, who represented the established press. So I kept a kind of writing game face on although I’m sure the real emotions I felt for him along the way informed the copy.

“[Ali’s] evolution from a barely literate, clownish prodigy who found security in a cultish group to a more complex and thoughtful man was a powerful journey to trail, and I’m grateful for the chance. I hope he found pleasures in the last few years when he was barely mobile and mute. I think his legacy was in how he made so many of us brave.”

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Did you guys read the thing on the ringer about ticket scalping or whatever, it's really really bad. Like confusing how did this happen bad.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Work Friend Keven posted:

Did you guys read the thing on the ringer about ticket scalping or whatever, it's really really bad. Like confusing how did this happen bad.

It's awful

https://theringer.com/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.wexbg2pp7

Why would you let an ex-CEO of Ticketmaster, one of the most reviled companies of the modern era, write an article where his general conclusion is that tickets should be more expensive and non-transferrable

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
"Head of Media and Commerce @Twitter, former CEO of Ticketmaster. Songwriter, charity:water, Stanford G"

I don't know if you could Frankenstein together a bigger choad

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Because he is a wealthy associate of Bill Simmons. If this is the same guy Simmons had on the old podcast several years ago.

And if you really think that scalping is a great evil that must be stopped, non-transferable tickets you can only collect at "will-call" is the only solution.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Can't wait for his follow up piece on how convenience fees aren't dumb bullshit.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
So how do you guys think the current situation where tickets "cost" 45 but cost 499 should be fixed? Who should get the Delta?

You may not agree with his conclusion, as I certainly dont in all respects, but his analysis of the problem is spot on from what I know of that world.

Personally I think tickets should cost more up front and only be transferable via an official app or exchange service for a peppercorn fee, if any.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

KFBR392 posted:

So how do you guys think the current situation where tickets "cost" 45 but cost 499 should be fixed? Who should get the Delta?

You may not agree with his conclusion, as I certainly dont in all respects, but his analysis of the problem is spot on from what I know of that world.

Personally I think tickets should cost more up front and only be transferable via an official app or exchange service for a peppercorn fee, if any.

Teams whose tickets end up selling for significantly more on the secondhand market should probably raise their prices. Teams whose tickets sell for significantly less on the secondary should probably lower their prices.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

KFBR392 posted:

I have never had a major problem getting tickets to a sports event, and I am probably going to things 100 times a year.

Only minor problem was when one team decided that online ticket buying was a problem, and tried to charge an exorbitant rate to physically print out a ticket while lecturing me and others about the safety of Ticketmaster.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Veshpo posted:

Teams whose tickets end up selling for significantly more on the secondhand market should probably raise their prices. Teams whose tickets sell for significantly less on the secondary should probably lower their prices.
You could, probably, raise Patriots tickets or something like that to $1,000 for the cheapest seats and still get a sellout.

That's clearly a terrible move for the fan base though.

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster

AsInHowe posted:

I have never had a major problem getting tickets to a sports event, and I am probably going to things 100 times a year.

Only minor problem was when one team decided that online ticket buying was a problem, and tried to charge an exorbitant rate to physically print out a ticket while lecturing me and others about the safety of Ticketmaster.

None of this addresses the crux of the issue. Where are you getting your tickets? Exchanges? Scarcity doesn't necessarily mean lack of tickets, it might mean astronomical prices for the available ones. You may be fine with the prices you're paying but who is getting that money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

KFBR392 posted:

What the heck is this