Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Dan Le Batard had a great article that kind of ties in to this.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/08/1766393/being-real-just-isnt-worth-the.html

Dan Le Batard posted:

If you consume sports media, you know the best-and-brightest don't go into my profession. They become doctors, lawyers, scientists, owners, whatever. Sports tends to be the place where people go to rest their minds from heavy lifting and . . .

"Not true," says Orlando Magic coach Stan Van Gundy. ``There are very smart media members and plenty of dumb asses. Same in my profession -- some very smart people and some dumb asses. By far my biggest frustration is what I see as a hypocrisy. The media wants us to be accessible, honest and forthright. But when we are, we get destroyed. It's like you want us to talk so you can kill us. Don't get me wrong. I don't mind if people kill my ideas. I think it's interesting when people disagree. I mean the people who say I should just shut up and coach. Fine. Then don't ask us any questions."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bigass Moth posted:

I will always remember when Bill said he had given up on the Bruins, but then 2 years later when they were good he was writing about them consistently. Also the Celtics. Currently, the Red Sox.

It's more like he gave up writing about the Bruins for about 7 or 8 years. He still doesn't care about hockey though.

I like Bill Simmons. He gets good guests on his podcast. It's easy enough to ignore the stuff I don't like of his.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The problem with Deadspin is that at one point it delivered news in a funny and yes, snarky way that was entertaining to read but it still had some content to it. At this point its basically just as you all have summed up, TMZ for sports.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Did anyone watch the Frontline program 'Money and March Madness' on your pbs station?

Or just watch it online? Just wondering because Frontline generally speaking makes solid programming.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/money-and-march-madness/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=bigimage&utm_source=bigimage

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
A hilariously hyperbolic and overwrought little editorial.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0719-simers-20110719,0,4611578,full.column

T.J. Simers L.A. Times posted:

U.S. women's loss to Japan in World Cup final was disgraceful

Players shouldn't get off easy for laying one of the all-time biggest eggs in sports.

In all my years watching futbol, I have never seen a side on the pitch gag as much as the U.S. gals.

Talk about just dribbling it away.

Come on, where does President Obama get off tweeting: "Couldn't be prouder of the women of #USWNT after a hard-fought game"? So the big guy wouldn't have been prouder had they won? This was the mighty Soviet hockey team losing in Lake Placid to a bunch of kids and then fearing the next stop might be Siberia. How come the president didn't remind the U.S. before its game with Japan they might be spending August in Nebraska if not successful.

As mismatches go, this was Oregon versus USC.

The Mavericks against the Lakers.

Some of us were undoubtedly expecting a clean sheet from Hope Solo, and I'm sure my fellow futbol fans understand what I'm talking about. The powerhouse U.S. hadn't lost to Japan in 25 games, had a 1-0 lead with nine minutes to play, a 2-1 advantage with three minutes left in overtime and just flat out folded. And the president couldn't be prouder of these losers?

A 1-0 U.S.-Japan soccer game is like watching a baseball game with the Dodgers trailing, 1-0. Everyone understands there's no way to overcome such a deficit.

I was so confident when the U.S. went ahead that had I been told Rick Neuheisel was coaching the U.S., I still wouldn't have been concerned.

Maybe a lucky nutmeg through Solo pulls Japan even, but when the U.S. went up, 2-1, near the end of the game, it technically wasn't a golden goal, but just as good. Beckham understands what I'm talking about.

Credited for their resiliency after beating Brazil, the Americans seemed insistent on establishing their legacy as chokers in allowing Japan back into the game.

As Hollywood scripts go, the U.S. still had the chance to make everyone's day and duplicate its 1999 World Cup dramatic win on penalty kicks. No one is talking today about blowing it if the U.S. players are running around the field in celebration after winning on penalty kicks. But instead, somewhere in Japan today a broadcaster is now forever famous for screaming: "Holy Al Michaels."

Just think of the endorsement deals waiting for the U.S., the invites from Leno, Letterman and "The Bachelor" and the little girls about to be born and named Hope.

Just think about all those warm, fuzzy and fictional columns that were going to be written about the advances in women's sports and growth in soccer popularity in the afterglow of a thrilling U.S. win.

Just think about how quickly everyone will forget these duds unless someone mentions Greg Norman and other great choke artists of our time.

In the days leading up to the final game, the U.S. players talked in radio interviews about their never-quit attitude and other attributes that made them a great team.

"There is something special about this group," Solo was saying after beating Brazil, a sentiment echoed by Abby Wambach.

"That is the perfect example of what this country is all about," she said. "We never gave up."

I'm guessing someone who plays for Japan was saying the same thing after actually winning the World Cup.

There is no way you can feel sorry for this bunch. They talked about preparing themselves for this moment, never dreaming they'd get an opponent who didn't have a chance against them. And they still weren't up for it.

The U.S. hockey team beat the Soviet Union and everyone gushed and then the hockey team went out and finished the job with a win over Finland.

No one around here, though, seemed interested in waiting for the U.S. women's soccer team to prove itself more than a shooting star. Who didn't go overboard? Some were suggesting no men's team could do what these women were doing given their unselfish, tough and tireless play for one another.

I couldn't agree more — hard to fathom a U.S. men's team collapsing in such a manner.

As for hanging tough together, which teams seem to do when they win, anyone watching TV couldn't help but notice Solo leaving her teammates behind in defeat to share her emotions with some folks in the stands.

If there is anything memorable now about this U.S. women's soccer team, it's how it melted in the glare of the big moment. Their role model, I presume, is Phil Mickelson.

They just gave it away, and to make excuses or diminish the magnitude of such a collapse is to treat the U.S. gals like women instead of world-class athletes.

I would imagine that's how most would want to be viewed in victory, so no reason to offer a free pass in defeat and go all gushy.

I say treat the gals like athletes and make sure they understand if they choke again, it's off to Nebraska for the whole lot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Orgophlax posted:

Bill Simmons' wrestling article today on Grantland is loving atrocious. So many errors and he just plain doesn't know what he's talking about. He doesn't even know Motörhead does Triple H's entrance music and refers to Lemmy as "just someone screaming in a raspy voice". :what:

EDIT: Link http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6790423/good-lord-music

In this instance I'll cut Simmons a break here.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I really like Klosterman. That Mark Ames article is as mentioned all rage and attacks on the person with very little insight in to why he isn't "good." And having grown up in Minnesota and known a lot of those so called hicks from North dakota (and god knows there are a lot of them) Klosterman isn't bragging to get some low brow cred from the Midwest but rather reciting his own childhood of rural middle America which I've found very very spot on.

And I think his incites that I've listened to on podcasts about how he watches sports are fascinating and have at times made me re-evaluate how I watch sports and how I'm consuming them. Obviously I don't agree with all his takes but the point of view he provides in a admittedly shallow discourse of pop culture and sports in general is a welcome and refreshing view. I'll stand by Klosterman any time because on the other hand you have guys like Rick Reilly spewing random crap day in and day out.

He is always treading a line of self indulgence but anyone who is going to read his books or go to Grantland should be ready for this. You're not reading the economist, there isn't going to be an invisible but authoritative narrative, and the reason I like Klosterman is he wears who he is on his shoulders at all times.

Ames anger is misguided. He may be a shotgun of anger but in my opinion he basically misses. It is baffling how much so many people hate Klosterman for what he writes about and how.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 23, 2011

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

MorningView posted:

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that that article may not be completely serious.

No its obviously serious because ESPN is evil. I mean Boston Sucks By Artie Lange is sure to be compelling treatise on the faults of Boston as a city connecting its shortcomings in both culture but historical racism.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Mornacale posted:

A supposedly-respectable source of journalism putting out a "joke issue" based on favoritism for one of its subjects is actually pretty bad.

e: ^^^ And people are paying a subscription to read it.

This isn't the New Yorker or the Economist doing a joke issue. And even if it was, its one issue. Sports magazines are not really what I'd call at all respectable sources of journalism. Sports Illustrated has an annual swim suit issue. Big deal.

Also even if you did pay for a yearly subscription its what, 13 dollars or something?

Mornacale posted:

So your premise is that it's alright as long as it's a joke?

Yeah pretty much.

E: I see MorningView chimed in and yeah. Its basically a magazine you would read to pass a few minutes before a doctors appointment or something.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Stop writing about Skip Bayless and read this piece from Outside Magazine on the Livestrong Foundation and its charitable activities. This is some actual, legitimate reporting.

Interesting article and I glad I read it and I understand that the author cannot answer some of the questions that the article poses, but it still felt like a whole bunch of nothing for the most part. Maybe it's because I knew a decent amount about the entire Livestrong brand and all that stuff but yeah.

Although it does bug me when people say "well this guy was cheating so why should we take his word?!" in regards to someone like Landis. Canseco is the ultimate example. When his book Juiced came out everyone was decrying him and saying it was a pure money grab and he was a liar. A couple years later he is comically the only one telling the whole drat truth...well, for the most part.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I saw Jay Mariotti in Venice the other day while I was getting my haircut. It was an exciting moment in my life!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I came here to post that. Is this an elaborate troll?!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The HG Bissinger that I know and care about died right after the book Friday Night Lights was published. This is some stranger. I subscribe to MourningView's newsletter.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I really really liked Max Kellerman on Around the Horn. Plus I like boxing so I liked when he'd talk about it

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Its the most benign of things and basically not at all titillating. They're mostly in very specific poses that show off how much of athletic beasts they are. No big deal to me.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I can't say for reasons of employment. (SA is where I come to curse on the Internet and leave work behind.) But yeah, it is a bit weird.

I know you probably didn't mean for this to happen but you dropping that line about "knowing" them and now making the claim that you can't say makes me hate you.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Let's just say I know exactly what you're talking about because I'm friends with a very famous hollywood personality. But I don't dare say who it is because she or perhaps he would be angry as hell.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I can understand them pulling poo poo off YouTube if they actually do have a paid-for service that basically gives you a video archive of every game of the last ten years; it's not as bad as when leagues pulled poo poo, and if you wanted to watch an old game, you either went to a torrent tracker, or were SOL.

The problem is and somewhat continues to be that they're not just pulling walk off home run highlights. They're pulling stupid videos of a guy tripping over second base and other equally harmless videos.

And yeah MLB's site is a pain to search.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The times when I'm really annoyed with ESPN is when sportscenter doesn't show highlights of a game. It's very annoying when a game happened and its not covered at all.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

davecrazy posted:

Probably get fewer death threats covering sports then politics. Unless its SEC football.

The SEC is actually slower than the Pac 12.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

Yeah there is a lot of poo poo to call ESPN out on but Deadspin's coverage of them comes off as so weird and petty sometimes that I frequently find myself in the strange position of rooting for an organization that builds an entire hour of programing around Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith yelling outrageous things at each other.

And that breakdown of what they devote time on Sportscenter to doesn't even seem that outrageous to me. I would guess that if anything their average viewer would prefer a much more NFL centric show.

I'm not outraged, but I'm glad they did it. It's interesting to see what gets the most airtime.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The show was awful. Which made it funnier that the NFL cared that much.

Wasn't there an episode where a guy (i think the running back) smoked crack right before a game?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I mean, Olbermann on MSNBC got so self righteous it delved in to parody on so many occasions. Thankfully the sports media is filled with the LOWEST of the low hanging fruit and him shining a light on complete morons like this is actually fun and refreshing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Normally I ignore deadspin and its pretty harmless honestly.

But this was awful.

http://deadspin.com/sadsack-former-nfl-player-punked-twice-by-drunken-comed-1189306363

Essentially, an extremely long article that highlights two poo poo comedians who "prank" Mike Vanderjagt. And by prank I mean they steal stuff from him and are miserable cunts. Just a pointless article. Pointless.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
If there is one thing the comedy circle out here in Los Angeles likes to talk about, it's sports and stealing from a player (a kicker no less) that hasn't been in the league for years!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

That's so great. Good for them. Really fell in love with TBJ the last couple years. Although if they lose their theme music I'll be sad.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Barry Sanders went through more than any man should go through.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I follow a lot of the Grantland writers on twitter and I honestly love the site. I'm definitely more involved in the culture side of things than the triangle side but I love Zach Lowe and Bill Barnwell's columns. I know a lot of the culture writers (Yoshida, Lambert, and co) are rather outspoken on gender and what not. It'll be interesting if they'll talk about it on their own podcasts. Given that this is exactly the type of thing that they usually comment on in their own columns/podcasts.

This is a mark against Grantland as a whole but I don't think its a death blow. Nor will I stop going to the website as long as this is properly redressed.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think Grantland is confronting this with a lot of maturity and sense. Which is good. They're definitely taking this seriously. Which obviously should be a given, but the state of sports journalism investigative or otherwise is a wasteland so this is refreshing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Kang is a contributor and recently (pretty sure anyways) stepped away more from Grantland and I think is doing more freelance stuff. I know he was recently working on a New Yorker item or two. Really like his writing.

I feel like people who may have been more in tuned like Yoshida, Morris and so on weren't part of that editorial process because they're quite busy with their own things that largely cover culture.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Simmons seems pretty upfront about the fact that he can't entirely wrap his head around LGBT issues. I mean, I'll be completely honest and say if I don't know what the proper language is when addressing someone who is transition, post, or whatever. I'm confused about the wording and how to be appropriate. I am not condoning what already happened but speaking from the viewpoint of a person who I think is pretty open about these things I'm somewhat wary of saying the wrong thing and so on.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My point was I don't have the GLAAD reference guide memorized so I was admitting it can seem confusing. And if I've never addressed them before I will not know definitively how they prefer to be addressed. I also mentioned that I am not okay with what they did so after the fact apologizing doesn't fix that, but merely that I can also empathize with some confusion...but it doesn't make it okay.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 21, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Kobe adds being homosexual to his legacy.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Someone should slap a Boston cream pie in Kaepernick’s smug face.

What the gently caress is this?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Declan MacManus posted:

Deadspin's comment section went right down the loving tubes as soon as they opened it. Not that it was the greatest thing in the world before but ugh

Deadspin's comments consist of someone trying to make a joke but since it lacks any notion of what we humans call humor it fails. Then someone posts a "GOING TO HELL DURR" comment.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I like Hyden. gently caress off haters.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I seriously doubt Hyden had never listened to Gorillaz and it was probably just another one of those failed frat-humor type things Grantland does far too often where they try to play the "wink wink I'm one of you" card. Simmons is terrible with that poo poo and it influences other stuff on there too.

I couldn't care less about Hyden and I rarely read his work but I can't say it's ever come off as anything more than simply uninteresting for me.

Yeah. Steve Hyden definitely looks like the type of guy who was a major frat bro. Keep in mind he wrote at the avclub for years covering television and film as well.

A lot of you guys seem very confused about Grantland and its place on the internet. It is ostensibly a spin off from Page 2 and the ESPN mother ship but its pretty much operating on its own. It has its own offices in Downtown Los Angeles. They have two distinct but occasionally intertwining factions within Grantland. Sports and Pop Culture. Grantland has a pretty solid stable of young and more experienced writers. You don't want pop culture stuff? Click 'The Triangle'. You only want pop culture? Click Hollywood Prospectus. Just my opinion but they have some of the strongest writing about pop culture on the internet. Granted the bar is not particularly high but they do a good job. They have some great sports writers. Sure, Lowe and Barnwall are prickly but they write some good poo poo that tries to cut through a lot of the jabber that most other sports writers employ. It's not perfect. But I go there every day and listen to their podcasts. And ever since most of the writers of the AVCLUB jetted to create The Dissolve, Grantland in my opinion probably has the best overall pop culture musings of any major website out there.

I'll also defend Hyden as a pretty good writer. I like Klosterman too. He's somewhat hit and miss but I appreciate that he brings in a different view point at times, seems to genuinely love college football, and will challenge Simmons when he appears on the podcast when Simmons says things that are untrue.

Also while I don't read everything they put up, I love seeing the comments on certain articles. I like when they explicitly state this is a troll article up top like when Hyden wrote how he loves the Packers and talked poo poo about the Bears and yet everyone in the comments was screaming how biased it was. Or when any woman on staff writes a pop culture piece, which is what they cover, and someone complains about how "some dumb woman is writing about some stupid show. Get back to sports Grantland!" Completely exposing how stupid they are.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 4, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Crion posted:

I'm not going to claim that it's against the rules to defend Chuck Klosterman's writing anywhere on SA, let alone the sports forum of all places, but I am going to claim that it should be

When he had Kirk Herbstreit on and he asked him about concussions it was funny how Klosterman pushed him when Herbstreit tried to dance around the question.

Also I loved this article: http://grantland.com/features/taking-concert-doubleheader-creed-nickelback-world-most-hated-bands/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Mark Ames seems awfully angry. I don't know. Maybe I self identify with Klosterman a bit more than I should. His so called hick posturing rings true to me. I spent the early part of my life in small town middle America in a farming community. His statements to that regard ring awfully true and funny. He himself has admitted that things he wrote earlier on and even today are foolish. But I don't really know what you want me to say here about him. I like his writing. I can't really defend or counter someones opinion when it boils down to "He is the worst" other than I disagree. People's largest criticism against him is always he is intentionally picking view points that will conflict with the popular opinion, so gently caress him. I don't believe that to be true. He largely believes in the populism of mass culture. He wrote as a rock critic for a long time and I think something that I always viewed as refreshing is that he was self aware to realize this: http://www.theonion.com/articles/history-of-rock-written-by-the-losers,736/

Though I see humor in Ames closing lines. Time makes things look funny. Stay safe in the realm of the real. Moscow.

The populism comes down to, if you were growing up and Bon Jovi was the soundtrack to your youth, it doesn't make your time, nostalgia, and youthful memories any less significant because it was soundtracked to Bon Jovi than if you were a brooding teen listening to The Smiths. And to wrap this into sports, Klosterman brings a pretty straightforward view of fandom. In fact if he was posting on these boards he'd fit right in. So I guess that's my defense. I don't feel strongly enough to get upset if someone hates him. Just don't read it I guess.

In regards to the pop culture coverage at large. It's largely throw-away, but so is the nature of a lot of it now. Especially in the recap world. I think their show recaps are serviceable. I appreciate they have several younger women as editors/staff writers and really, I don't mind trash culture nearly as much as some of you so its fun to listen to/read recaps of The Challenge. I skim the pop culture stuff every day. And yeah MourningView is right. Pappademas is a pretty good writer. Even something as garish and strange as Paul Walker's death turned into a fascinating article. One guy I've never understood is Rembert Browne. He's on the grantland payroll and ostensibly gets to just travel and put together 200 word articles that mean nothing.

I guess I don't understand people's anger and aversion to Grantland. IF you hate it so much don't loving go. Me, I like it. I think my daily internet reading routine is better than when Grantland didn't exist. That's just me.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Declan MacManus posted:

soggybagel why do you write so many words about middling journalism

Why not? It took five minutes.

Or is this the classic, ask a question, get an answer, respond by suggesting the person who responded needs to "get a life" or "lighten up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

WEREWAIF posted:

He hates hacks and shills? Are you a fan of Matt Yglesias, out for revenge?

I don't want to derail anymore since this isn't about sports, but it's all laid out here. http://shameproject.com/

So the goal of SHAME seems to be "We hate everyone."