Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Ribsauce posted:

Colin Cowherd being a legitmate creep on his national ESPN show.

http://deadspin.com/5885390/kate-upton-hangs-up-on-colin-cowherd-after-he-asks-what-shes-wearing-how-much-she-gets-paid

"How many guys ask you out Kate, how many guys ask you out?"
"Are you in sweat pants now?"

Kate Upton, Michigan fan, hung up on Colin Cowherd. If only Michael Rosenberg had a radio show, so she could hang up on him too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I am stunned and amazed that, of all the people to bring in a scam artist to ESPN, Lynn Hoppes was the starfucking idiot responsible for this whole incident.

He is truly the worst thing about that whole enterprise.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Erin Andrews in particular seems to draw a lot of weirdly vitriolic coverage.

Daulerio was the guy who originally posted the stalker video, which did not exactly endear him to Erin Andrews. A couple takedown requests later, and some threats to sue...and Gawker is still absolutely petty about the whole thing.

All of Gawker's random feuds are people who haven't let themselves get pushed around by Daulerio + Denton.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jun 26, 2012

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

Just read it...read the whole loving thing:

And the pictures and videos he attached to his article make it even classier. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWaewg0TrU8

Someone's angling for a job at Gawker!

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Erin Andrews is good at her job and generally handles all the gross poo poo she has to deal with really well. I will never understand all the weird vitriol she generates. Is she supposed to be ashamed of being pretty or what?

Yes, pretty much.

Lest you think this is just misogyny, the Washington Post's Christine Brennan wrote a column after the whole peephole thing to say that Erin Andrews was asking for it and encouraging someone to do that by being a sex symbol, despite Andrews never trying to actively be a sex symbol.

What a fun media climate we live in.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

stuart scott irl posted:

this is the worst loving thing I've ever seen

I hate TMZ so much, it's like a giant bitchy cat

EDIT: Nothing says great journalism quite like pictures of someone who is visibly irritated that you're taking pictures of them

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 8, 2012

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

General Dog posted:

An easy fix for most of these problems would just be putting burkas on everybody.

...says the Aggie fan.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

General Dog posted:

This was a joke, by the way. I know it's hard to tell sometimes.

There are no aggy jokes, only aggy stories.

But seriously, Tom Hoffarth really did some terrible work today, that amazingly was syndicated around the country.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
You might be thinking, after that masterstroke of a column, that Tom Hoffarth is done on the topic.

gently caress NO.

Tom Hoffarth goes on to write another snarky blog post (http://www.insidesocal.com/tomhoffarth/archives/2012/07/weekly-media-co-31.html), with these true journalism gems:

- This photo of his paper's layout, with this comment attached: "Look how we're going to get readers to actually pick up a newspaper today. Sorry about that if we caught you off guard."

- Taking random shots at anyone who criticizes him! "With the power vested in me, I'll try to drive knee-jerk traffic to something called SportsGrid.com, where a "rising college senior" named Matt thinks I'm unfair (linked here). He makes some fair points. Says some of the things I point out is "fine." He's done a fine job himself here. But I'd respectfully debate after I looked up big words like 'ad-hominem.'" Clearly, Tom Hoffarth is quite the wordsmith! But that can be discussed later, after his crafting of the next headline.

Of course, his next post really gets to the heart of Erin Andrews being a terrible journalist, by being an attractive woman. Here's the actual post, the contents (and headline) of which are not an added-on joke:

quote:

Ain't it a bitch: Fox Sports could have a real Miss America land in its lap, clawing for EA's job
By Tom Hoffarth on July 8, 2012 12:00 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | ShareThis

Laura McKeeman, part of the Tampa Bay Rays' broadcast team on Sun Sports and Fox Sports Florida, will represent the state of Florida at the Miss America 2013 pageant, the Miss America Organization announced Saturday night.

McKeeman was crowned Miss Florida 2012 in St. Petersburg, Fla., having got to the event by winning the Miss Pinellas County pageant.

Her official biography: "Currently, Laura is working for FOX Sports Interactive and FOX Sports Florida. She covers college football recruiting, basketball, baseball and much more for the entire southeastern United States. Her official title is Southeast Recruiting Reporter. In addition, she is part of the Tampa Bay Rays Broadcast team on Sun Sports and FOX Sports Florida providing content for the Rays Live Pre and Post game shows as well as in-game video spots."

She tweeted out this morning @Laura McKeeman: So honored to be Miss Florida 2012. Thank you all for your support and kindness. It means the world to me!

Learn more of her dreams and aspirations at her website: lauramckeeman.com, which includes a home page of her wearing eyeblack while holding a football and a baseball.

Truly breathtaking levels of sexism. Hard to believe it took him three pieces to call pretty women bitches, indirectly.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crazy Ted posted:

If you venture down to the comment sections on some of the entries at Gakwer, it's evident that even a lot of people who regularly visit the site are getting really sick of Daulerio.

This brightened my day. Thanks, Crazy Ted.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
A lot of guys also have side gigs with radio shows, so keep that in mind.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crion posted:

Most guys in my end of the woods do radio gigs for free. Kevin Goldstein doesn't get paid for any of his iirc, nor does Jay Jaffe.

Like, they host a show for free?

Most writers in Detroit have an actual radio show that they host, not just a call-in segment or something.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

"Garlic fries, crab sandwiches on grilled sourdough bread, clam chowder, fried calamari, sweet potato fries with cinnamon and chipotle sprinkle, and clove garlic chicken sandwiches."

Those all sound loving delicious.

Got news for mr. rear end in a top hat writer, it's all about making a buck. They know that they can convince someone to spend money there instead of some local restaurant downtown before or after the game, they've done their job.

It's hardly new, nor is it an attack on tradition. If anything, that's kind of encouraged me to attend a Giants game in the future.

http://mlb.mlb.com/det/ballpark/concessions.jsp

By the way, his beloved Tigers? Serve Asian, Mexican and a whole array of other things that at their ballpark.

All that needs to be said about Comerica Park's concessions is that you can't get a non-fancy burger in the place, but the sausages with onions and peppers are excellent.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

Pretty sure Plaschke honestly and truly believes that he is writing poetry that will endure for generations.

"lady garden" certainly sounds like poetry.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

leokitty posted:

Wait is AJ Daulerio really Cat Marnell's boyfriend? That would explain a lot about weird decision making.

It makes so much sense when you think about it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I had no idea who she is so I looked her up.

The sex has to be off the loving hook.

It has to be insane. Literally, insane.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Rick Reilly got back on his high horse again.

Just retire, Rick. Leave us with our memories.

It took him a whole hour to get up on that high horse, it was such a high horse to climb up on

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

DOOP posted:

Between Soccer, Hockey, and F1, NBC is going all in on sports Americans don't watch.

NBC owns

And cycling!

Except for F1 and the hunting/fishing shows, I enjoy everything on NBCSN. Love the NHL, MLS, cycling, all of it. All those audiences are growing.

If TSN came here, I'd love it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

ElwoodCuse posted:

Cook writes a garbage column for the Post Gazette too so yes

Don't almost all sports-talk hosts write a garbage column somewhere?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Jalen Rose owns.
Detroit Vs Everybody owns.
Jalen Rose owns.

This Grantland Live thing was fantastic.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
:stare:

Well then, that's certainly something.

There is no segue possible for this, uublog. None at all.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Elotana posted:

This whole time I thought Bissinger was a grouchy, self-important shithead, but it turns out he's actually a grouchy, self-important shithead who wears women's clothes.

And who is a sex tourist.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

GQ is denying that it's a fake so it seems like Buzz Bissinger, defender of traditional baseball strategy and journalism, actually does like to let out his inner rock star by wearing lots of very expensive goofy pants. Which: good for him I guess, but also seriously what the hell?

And go to sex clubs on offshore Asian islands in those pants, to do certain things.

That's the most amazing part of this whole thing, that those stories are getting overlooked. There's so much weirdness to unpack.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
This week's Newsweek "cover":

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Frot Lesnar posted:

Why do you hate closeted gay people?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

This brings up an interesting point.

Rome seemed to be the first of those sort of "troll"-first take types.

But I sense something a little different out of him versus say, Colin Cowherd.

Recently his interviews have been rather good, and when he's not obsessively playing sound bites, his program is "listenable".

I've yet to really see that out of Cowherd.

The thing with Rome is that over the years, he mellowed out and matured as a person and interviewer. The show mellowed accordingly. It still has some attitude, but it comes from a place of general common-sense correctness. An argument might not be as professional and might be a little too cute, but the argument is trying to legitimately make a point.

With the interviews, Rome does ask good questions, maintains a good flow to an interview (gets the subject to open up, lets them flesh out a story, moves on at a natural pace), and has grown far more respectful over the years. His interviews with Ernie Harwell, for example, were always excellent.

With Cowherd, his entire show is simply designed to take the obviously wrong side of an issue, or an intentionally dumb position, as a schtick. His whole thing is designed to be "controversial!" because that apparently gets the kind of attention ESPN is looking for. Cowherd is only there to stupidly poo poo on something, then loudly defend that pointless thing he just said. Cowherd is Skip Bayless over more hours of programming.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cowherd is frequently defiant when people call him on his stupidity.

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2006/03/espns-colin-cowherd-borrows-m-zone.html

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2006/03/colin-cowherditsomewhereelsefirst.html

http://michiganzone.blogspot.com/2011/07/colin-cowherds-revisionist-history.html

And when people call him on his plagiarism.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

And, like Peter King, wins "Sportswriter of the Year" awards over and over and over. Chosen by his peers. Which explains why sports writing is so loving awful in general.

So does Mitch Albom, a sportswriter in name only.

So does Rick Reilly.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

This is the first ESPN Body Issue that I have not personally known one of the subjects, and for that I am a little relieved. poo poo like that is a little bit awkward at first.

Who did you personally know? Because that's a pretty long streak, no pun intended.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
As another person who knows people, I understand.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crion posted:

I have to watch a bunch of baseball for my job and around the middle of the season I started cursing the sport and all its component pieces. Watching baseball at the end of the regular season to see how cup of coffee guys were doing once rosters expanded took actual discipline. Do anything as a job and eventually it becomes actual work

That dude's nuts though

It's far beyond actual watching. At least you've got a column that can take some time to edit. Burke is watching every game, live and simultaneously, and is essentially trying to create instant .gifs before anyone else online. He is basically trying to gather every relevant sports image in the world, as it's happening.

It's almost mindboggling that someone could even think up and begin a task like that.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jackie D posted:

Ken Jeong is hosting Sportscenter :psyduck:

Ken Jeong, still irritatingly unfunny. I have no idea how or why he continues to get shoved into America's collective face.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

OctoberBlues posted:

You do not even understand how hard it was to not just straight up tell him he was a piece of poo poo. :(

edit: He looks extra smug in person and spent the entire second half complaining that the game wasn't giving him anything good to write about.

You should've acted like you recognized him, then asked him if he was Mike Lupica.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Holy Diverticulitis posted:

Tim Burke is the man.

I agree. Tim Burke IS the man.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

YodaTFK posted:

Barry Sanders is the reason for the season.

Barry Sanders is:

- a strong Christian, from a very religious family
- a go-to Christian analogy for someone struggling in a situation with bad leadership "do you sometimes feel like you're the only one moving forward in your group, like you're Barry Sanders on the Detroit Lions?"

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sash! posted:

Someone should confirm that you can't study to be a barber at UNC. I mean, maybe you can! Like it's one of those weird things no one knows about.

Although I do suspect the ambition of a guy that has all sorts of options and picks barber.

Barber shops are big sources of community and fellowship in some areas, maybe he just wants to be a unifying force in his community

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Vertical Lime posted:

And then they went on LeBatard's radio show:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10264545

The funny thing is, around the 11 minute mark, is Kornheiser and Wilbon discussing how the actual situation was different than how it was explained to them.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Twin Cinema posted:

Simmons piece is close, but it still misses the mark.

The issue is that this statement is still treating transgender as a story, rather than just being what it is -- a transgender person who is engaged in the same acts as other people are. To be more clear, the story focuses on being transgender to explain her fake credentials, as if she's pulling a long con or something.

Here's the thing, as Simmons did bring up: the core of the story was about someone selling a product under grandiose and false credentials.

If Hannan had investigated the story, and it was just some guy posing as a highly accomplished scientist who really was just some auto mechanic, nothing comes of it. However, the story started with something pretty remarkable - a female MIT aeronautical physicist (who designed the stealth bomber!) that invented a revolutionary putter in her spare time. The gender of the inventor is intertwined with the elaborate hoax that the company told. Unfortunately, the process of unraveling that story took Hannan down a path that went way beyond 'the inventor is not really an MIT engineer'.

The obvious thing to do was to mention certain things discreetly, such as 'I could not find any record of Essay Anne Vanderbilt attending MIT' or something like that. Then, the situation goes from 'this woman is transgender' to 'this inventor isn't really an accomplished engineer'.

Instead, the author focuses on the uniqueness of the gender aspect of the story instead of the overall fraud, leading to the backlash.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Prisoner posted:

I hope this is just a phrasing issue on your part. A woman changing her name to suit her self-identification is in no way "intertwined with the elaborate hoax".

If someone changes their name, outside of anything regarding gender identity, that does tie into the overall story. Carefully saying that there's no record of this person graduating from a university or no record of this person holding certain job does no harm to the overall story, as the O'Leary example and others show. Then, the story turns into what I guess is the original intent, a supposedly space age putter that might just be a placebo.

Instead, once the whole gender thing is discovered, that becomes the focus of the story, which is where everything went wrong. If the story focused on the putter, and how the inventor isn't exactly who they say they are (in non-specific ways), this story is just another golf story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

The Prisoner posted:

A bunch of people on Twitter are annoyed Simmons wrote at all. I don't really agree with that - he's the Editor-in-Chief of the site and therefore ultimately responsible for its content. Whether he should have that job based on his writing ability, attitude, and overall alignment with what Grantland is trying to be is a different issue entirely.

If Simmons doesn't write, Twitter complains that he's dodging the issue. Kind of a zero-win game for him.