Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

I'm failing to see how Grantland is anything other than a revamped Page 2 but with Simmons in editorial control. In fact links to Page 2 are getting more and more scarce on the ESPN main page, which makes me wonder if they'll phase it out completely as Grantland gets in gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

For his next trick he should pound a bunch of Natty Light and try to recreate Boomer's perfect game during the hangover.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I hate three things about this.

One, that story was nowhere near as good as it could have/should have been.

Two, that struck me, too, as a bunch of "imagined" quotes.

Three, god dammit Deadspin stop loving caring so much, you petty bitches.

I hate Daulerio and a lot of the bullshit he stirs up, but Mike Barnicle deserves every bit of nit-picking he gets. It's a pretty damning statement about the journalism industry that he managed to fail upwards after the Boston Globe stuff.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

According to the comments section the guy who wrote that is their political cartoonist.

You left quite a void when you left the Star, didn't you Joe Pos?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

The Simmons vs. Jonah Keri "e-mail exchange" is kind of hilarious, if only for Simmons' inability to understand that bringing up Desmond Jennings earlier wouldn't have single-handedly saved the Rays' season.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-t...esmond-jennings

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I watched ATH yesterday. Bill Plaschke won and used his rant time to say he saw Moneyball and really liked it and sort of apologized for spending years bashing Billy Beane and sabermetrics. Then he backtracked and said it was still mostly wrong and "there's more than one way to build a team." That's still progress, right?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Bill Simmons needs to stop referencing sabermetric stats until he can stop turning them into TV analogies.

quote:

Q: The Grantland staff's buying/selling gimmick (described in your Week 2 column) reminded me of something I've started to do recently: using the concept of WAR (wins above replacement) in all aspects of my life. For instance, when my girlfriend asked how a softball game went and I told her "high WAR" to sum up a great night at the plate with solid defense. But what I've found is even better is using WAR to describe the people around me, e.g., My buddy Alex's old girlfriend was uncool and replacement level or 1.0 WAR at best, but his current girlfriend is a 7.5, that's MVP level and he should hang on to this one. Thoughts?
Zeph, Corona Del Mar

SG: I think you're onto something. Chuck Klosterman wrote about "Rock VORP" for Grantland in June, but WAR works better than VORP (value over replacement) because it's easier to digest: Start at 0.0, anything in the 7's is good, the 8-9 range is great and 10+ is Hall of Fame caliber. For instance, at dinner the other night, a friend said that Two Broke Girls (a new CBS sitcom) was surprisingly entertaining and joked that it had a higher VORP than you could have expected from that 9:30 p.m. Monday slot. In other words, anything CBS threw on at 9:30 was getting a good rating after Two And a Half Men like how any decent slugger can finish with 95 RBI with three 400+ OBP guys batting in front of him but Two Broke Girls could also succeed in a fake parallel universe that measures TV success with sabermetric stats.

Had the friend added, "I'd give the show a 7.3 WAR," it would have been even easier to understand his point, right? Keeping that analogy going, the saber junkies in this parallel universe would have destroyed "lucky time slot" sitcoms like Wings, Night Court, Caroline in the City, The Single Guy and Suddenly Susan for having deceivingly good stats and a shockingly low WAR; decided that Conan O'Brien was overrated (because Leno's high lead-in artificially skewed his 12:30 a.m. ratings, he couldn't generate decent ratings without that lead-in); and pointed out that Jon Stewart had a ridiculously high WAR (because he succeeded no matter what Comedy Central was sticking before and after him). And I'm pretty sure they would have made Friday Night Lights their Tim Raines cause.

hcreight fucked around with this message at Sep 24, 2011 around 06:47

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

This is one of the most pompous things i've ever read. Seriously, read the whole thing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Tangentially related to sports, but Simmons had ESPN executive editor John Walsh on his podcast to talk about Hunter S. Thompson, whom Walsh had been friends with since the 70s. I'm 15 minutes in and its great so far. Simmons should have more people like him on instead of Jacko and other people whose opinions no one cares about.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...nter-s-thompson

hcreight fucked around with this message at Oct 27, 2011 around 21:51

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I like how molesting children is cool there as long as you're able to hide it for 15 years.

Similarly the Texas Judge who beat his disabled goon daughter with a belt couldn't be prosecuted because it happened in like 2003. Why the gently caress are there statutes of limitations on poo poo like this?

hcreight fucked around with this message at Dec 21, 2011 around 00:36

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Mornacale posted:

I don't watch the news to be part of a furor, I watch it to learn things. In theory, even to hear people offer intelligent commentary. Since he's not even honest about his opinions, what value could listening to him possibly hold?

I've disliked Bayless for years, but watching him be accidentally right about Tebow was a lot of fun. Once you accept that ESPN is never going to be decent at its job but still thrive financially, it's easier to just have fun with it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Devil Wears Pravda posted:

I actually worked with Louise (Lou-Lou, as she called herself on Facebook when we were Facebook friends) not too long ago. She was a complete headcase and dropped hints about how she was seeing the manager of the biggest sports team in the country. This was a girl who we knew was clownshit crazy right after she got hired. Funny enough, many of the people at our company have made the remark "This just made my day" when they heard the news.

She was universally despised, and she didn't last long before they tossed her out the door.

She sounds like AJ Daulerio's perfect woman.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

quote:

darrenrovell darren rovell
In 1975, Playboy printed 7 million copies a month. Today, it's down to 1.5 million.
5 hours ago

I have a hard time believing a business reporter would seriously think this is a reflection of quality. There's a fuckload of magazines out there that would love to be printing that many copies a month, you douche.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

nature6pk posted:

Philly booed Sarah Palin, therefore can do no wrong

Oh hey, they didn't cheer for an abhorrent politician.

Do they get a second lifetime pass if they don't boo after the national anthem on MLB Opening Day?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Crion posted:

If Philly ever boos the national anthem I might just up and throw in my chips with the Phillies, Flyers, and Eagles

I like to think this country can still fix itself.

I want to believe.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

barkingclam posted:

He said it here and a few other times, too.

Remember when Bissinger ripped Will Leitch on that Bob Costas show for how online journalism sites and blogs behaved? Guess he learned that he enjoyed being an rear end in a top hat on the internet in the mean time! (Seriously, read his tweet log.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Barry Zito is going to return to elite form and win the Cy Young in 2012 and then his wife will wake up and realize it was all a dream and that Barry's still terrible.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder if it's an indication that the end is near for the Globe, or if it's going online-only soon. It'd be a shame, but it's inevitable. And imagine a world with no Dan Shaughnessy columns!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Sure, but age hasn't stopped old guys from hanging onto their sports columns in the past. That quote suggests that the Globe may be going in a different direction and he doesn't want anything to do with online journalism.

(Pure speculation on my part, i'm not denying that.)

hcreight fucked around with this message at Feb 15, 2012 around 22:15

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I took a sports journalism class in college where we had Kevin Dupont as a guest. He said that one of the common background noises you'll hear at the Globe offices is Bob Ryan screaming at his computer for various reasons.

Yeah, he probably just isn't big on using online social media services.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

Norm Macdonald is currently destroying Rick Reilly on twitter FYI

I would pay money to see clips of Norm at his computer drinking a glass of scotch and wrecking horrible people on twitter.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Raul Ibanez made the list, rankings invalidated.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Joba released from hospital; recovery timetable allows for potential return this season; Joba still with one arbitration year left in 2013.

Yankee Career Apparently Over For Fat Irresponsible Kid Haver
by Bill Madden

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

No it doesn't. Joba's going to need many, many months of rehab just to be able to do basic things like walk, and the fact that he can't throw is going to severely compromise his Tommy John rehab. There is no return happening this season. If all goes well, maybe he'll have a chance to make a comeback in 2013.

I suppose I should have left that part out since the main source for that is Joba claiming the doctors told him that. But saying is Yankee career is apparently over without backing it up is still one of the many dumb things about that column.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

It's entirely possible he gets non-tendered for next season, depending on how the rehab goes, obviously. Even then, he's certainly not getting extended and will be a free agent after 2013.

Possible? Sure. Apparent? No.

But if Madden doesn't say it's apparent he can't make his retarded Brien Taylor comparison.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

To his credit JoePos later stepped back, realized he wasn't in a position to assess the situation correctly, and declined to comment further on it. The same can't be said for a lot of other people who had gotten to know Paterno.

And I do feel bad for him if this means all of his work on his book now goes down the toilet because he feels he can't finish the book the way it would need to be finished.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

You can't take any Skip Bayless argument at face value. He's a professional troll. I've actually come to appreciate his schtick in light of his unwavering support of all things Tebow.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

stuart scott irl posted:

I think I'm more tired of the "Bayless is just an IRL troll! heh you gotta give him credit!" narrative than Skip Bayless himself

I don't expect everyone to like him (even though almost all of TFF does at this point), but the concept of it being someone's job to make Stephen A. Smith really, really mad is funny to me.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I hope the whole story comes out about whatever the gently caress is going on there. I'm left with more questions than answers.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder how much mainstream traction this story is going to get (publications like USA Today and the NY Daily News both have links up for it already) given the internet-related absurdity involved in this story. I want to see a trashy news magazine like Inside Edition attempting to explain what a fake twitter account is.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Wow.

Where is this gem from?

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/201...h-this-excerpt/

Somebody doesn't want a career in journalism anymore.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Today Deadspin is headlining with an unnecessary hit piece about Erin Andrews's apparently crumbling career prospects, complete with quotes from anonymous TV executives and anecdotes about how they don't let her on Good Morning America anymore because she mispronounced Buffalo Bills and made a couple other flubs. Glad to see their misogynistic obsession with every blonde female ESPN employee didn't leave with Daulerio.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

quote:

The Erin Andrews Effect, as sports media phenomena, is attracting more female communications majors into taking as many shortcuts as possible to grab a coveted sideline reporting job or studio host instead of risking the time and challenge necessary to try play-by-play, game analyst, or even what's still referred to journalism at a magazine, newspaper or website.

What the gently caress does this even mean? What "shortcuts" are available? Is he trying to suggest Erin Andrews flirted/slept her way to where she is without actually saying it?

Somebody better go tell Craig Sager to stop slutting it up on the sidelines and leave the camera work to the real journalists.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Not only is this a lazy and fireable offense but it implies that someone actually read a RealGM article.

Some of their articles have comedic value. Like when one of their writers tried to invent his own "sabermetric" stat.

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_from...lb_reina_value/

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

MJ's kind of an rear end for continually embellishing the "he got cut" story in public, but he shouldn't really be obligated to swoop in and fix the life of a guy he hasn't even seen in 18 years. I think Lake's too close to the story to be firing off opinions like this, ala JoePos with Paterno.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Here's a transcript of TJ Simers picking up where the Boston sports media left off with Josh Beckett.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...following-loss/

Why in the gently caress do sportswriters think they're entitled to friendly, courteous answers from athletes even when they deliberately try to piss them off?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Conversely, Pearlman enjoys human breast milk for all his dairy needs.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

quote:

Well, here's what I think of WAR: As dreadful a year as the Red Sox had, they were 47-43 before David Ortiz got hurt on July 16. They were 22-50 without him in the second half. Ergo, for the Red Sox to be four games above .500, in that stretch, their replacement designated hitters would have had to come up 16 more wins than they did.

Yes, Ortiz was worth 16 more wins to the Red Sox than his replacements, easily outdistancing both Cabrera and Trout in that department. So David Ortiz is the true MVP of the American League.

He literally thinks this is how WAR works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Please, please usurp Wolf Blitzer, Sara.

«2 »