Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
LA Times now links bleacher report articles lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
don't forget Gary Smith's Mike Tyson article. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067130/index.htm

I personally love this one: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1158635/index.htm

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

leokitty posted:

This is a really wonderful profile piece about a kid from South Africa who plays baseball you should all read.

More broadly, it's about the culture shock of being the first player from his city, country and CONTINENT to go to the big leagues, how he adjusted through the hardest moments and how he never lost his spirit or doubted himself, even at his most home-sick moments.

Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu is another amazing piece, I think it's one reason why baseball draws so much attention from quality writers.

For more good baseball stuff (non-journalism), check out Pafko at the Wall by Don Delillo.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
it's the FedEx arrow of baseball

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There are so many good lines in that piece but my absolute favorite is

I love the humor of (mostly Yankees) juxtaposed with the classical analogy. It makes me smile every time.

My favorite part:

quote:

The affair between Boston and Ted Williams has been no mere summer romance; it has been a marriage, composed of spats, mutual disappointments, and, toward the end, a mellowing hoard of shared memories.

Even if you don't like Updike's style, it's hard to ignore how spot-on that quote is.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I thought Dick Allen was white for a long time too

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
holy poo poo that guy has to be trolling, right?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I love the rationalization of people who point the steroids finger. Literally ANY type of season where a player hits for power can be construed as due to steroids.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

seiferguy posted:

Citoball isn't swinging at pitches as hard as you possibly can and take no pitches, it's Cito Gastion in a back room injecting steroids into his players' rear end. The gig is up, which is why he's retiring at the end of the season.

hahaha

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Where Red Sox Nation Collides With Yankees Universe ... Every Day!

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Fag Boy Jim posted:

please rename the Cy Young award the "Pedro Martinez' 2000 Season Award"

Walter Johnson award

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Who was the old school writer dude who wrote the "vorp blorp shmorp" article?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I swear to God there was an actual writer who wrote "shmorp blorp," but maybe I've got brain problems

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
oh, you're right, i'm retarded

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Crazy Ted posted:

College newspapers are absolutely wonderful places to go for horrible, godawful journalism.

@bleacherreportd

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

leokitty posted:

I just read a post on Fangraphs that is "Mariano Rivera is a good pitcher because he does whatever he wants with his pitches" (not as true for the two seamer but you get my point). I guess I'm supposed to be impressed by the color maps but it contains zero new info.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/riveras-cutters-working-the-count/

e: There's a chance I'm also tired of seeing 7,000 articles about Mariano. It's like everyone's backup. Hey, let's put up something about how Mariano is a freak

that's also by Albert Lyu, who I'm trying to work with right now. He's 21 and knows how to use some MySQL tricks, but seems a little gunshy about delving into the cooler stuff.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
ah, I see

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Copernic posted:

someone mind buying this as an av for me?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Deathlove posted:

Ryan loving Theriot. Thank God they got Blake DeW-AW gently caress.

hehe :hehe:

Theriot's range is impressive, at least. Too bad he's a piece of poo poo hitter.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

FairGame posted:

This is older (1991) than a bunch of people in this thread, but I just learned of its existence today. 1991 doesn't seem like that long ago, but goddamn is it kind of creepy.

http://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/14/sports/sports-of-the-times-sorry-but-magic-isn-t-a-hero.html

I liked this:

quote:

If one definition of "hero" is model or ideal, as Webster's Third New International Dictionary attests, Magic Johnson is hardly a model or ideal to anyone with a sense of sexual morality.

I'm sure he's happy he wrote this before FJM happened

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I love that article.

My favorite part is he quotes Bill Plaschke, who's easily the greatest Kemp hater in history.

e: scratch that, my favorite part is how he says Kemp isn't wanted, and then says the Phillies should throw in prospects to make the deal square.

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 18, 2010

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
why is it that Philadelphia is like the only place on the planet where black baseball players get undeserved praise and white baseball players are treated with contempt?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Crazy Ted posted:

Tim Keown: STEP ON UP!

I'd be mad if I weren't so thoroughly confused

quote:

And then he sees Kobe shooting an assault weapon on TV, along with Jimmy Kimmel and those other "ordinary" people, including an overweight girl wearing glasses and a revenge-is-mine smile as she fires into a building. (She's apparently in the throes of a self-esteem bump, but it doesn't take much of a leap to see her as a geek settling things with a gun.)

Is there even a case on record of a girl orchestrating a high school shooting?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=2621

yeah that happened

hahaha. Chass would be in the Troll Hall of Fame.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
x-postin'

(Justin Beiber wore a Yankees hat while performing in Boston; Simmons called it "beatdown-worthy")

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
the only person who's a bigger baby than Simmons is Heyman, who is hilariously thin-skinned when someone attacks him on twitter.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I was just scouring the internet for "Jeff Bagwell steroids" stories and this was the first thing that came up

http://baseballevolution.com/asher/bagwellconspiracy.html

quote:

At the beginning of the 2004 season, a buddy and I engaged in a debate about whether Jeff Bagwell used steroids. While initially not convinced that Bagwell used steroids, circumstantial evidence points not only to the conclusion that Bagwell used steroids, but also to the conclusion that he stands at the center of the baseball world as the steroid ring leader, the root of all steroid usage in the league. In fact, all major league steroid use can be traced directly to the Houston Astros first baseman.

Unbeknownst to the general baseball public, steroid use began in earnest with the 1992 Astros. Up to that point in his career, Bagwell had not yet developed his power-stoke, and in 1992 he set out to do something about it. Bagwell began pumping iron maniacally, and juicing up, and the difference quickly became evident. Bagwell's teammates were immediately impressed with his increase in size and production and demanded that he share the wealth.

I think he's joking, but I want to believe this is real

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
it was written in 2004!~

yeah no i got through like 5 paragraphs

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Yeah, they do that sometimes, just stick to the best writers. Usually Grant Wahl, Albert Chen, Gary Smith and a couple others.

e: worst one I ever saw was on Mark Buerhle's perfect game, when the writer used Rock Star energy drink as bookends for the story. It went something like this: "He picked up a Rock Star energy drink before the game, just as he had done every other game ... [some 1500 words later] ... but it was HE who was the Rock Star on that fateful day."

The broken bones fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 29, 2010

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
http://deadspin.com/5748972/

Deadspin has been reading this thread because someone called Daulerio a giant fag lol

(See the links on the final entry)

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
grats

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Tender Bender posted:

Also how is the pop-up an embarrassing moment for A-Rod, did they intend to put that in an "A-Rod's most ownage moments" slideshow?

A-Rod really doesn't get enough credit for how awesome of a troll he is. He literally stepped on a mound one time and the pitcher lost his poo poo.

Where's that shooing away gif?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
What surprises me most is some of you actually read Deadspin with regularity

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

So, who has read ESPN's Fiction Issue? What do you all think about it?

I can't be too hard on a company that bills itself as Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, but it's pretty fascinating stuff so far. Miguel Batista's short-fiction piece was a clever story and an interesting read.

What, really? They did this?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

chutwig posted:

I am really enjoying some of the comments on this page in which people attempt to come up with new Murray Chass blog headlines:

SANDY KOUFAX- YOU COULD HAVE PITCHED ON YOM KIPPUR IF YOU HADN'T SINNED SO MUCH
MARGE SCHOTT WAS GOOD IN THE BEGINNING, BUT SHE DID NOT GO FAR ENOUGH
KIRK GIBSON- THE SLOWEST HOME RUN TROT I'VE EVER SEEN

This is great

Chass- HIDEKI MATSUI'S NICKNAME DESTROYS CITIES, KILLS THOUSANDS

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

stuart scott irl posted:

how long am I allowed to keep posting these because lol

SILENT CAL, A NATION TURNS ITS LONELY EYES TO YOU

I don’t remember ever learning anything about Calvin Coolidge when I was in school, other than the fact that he was called Silent Cal, because he never said much.
Recently, I’ve come across some of his famous quotes and I now plan to find a good Calvin Coolidge biography to read.
One of my favorites is: “Any man who does not like dogs and does not want them about, does not deserve to live in the White House.”
I’m a big time dog lover and couldn’t agree more with that. I think you could do a good job of weeding out the bad presidents by finding the ones who didn’t get dogs until they were in the White House and realized it was the smart thing to do politically.
Here are some more quotes from Calvin Coolidge that make me think that we need a guy who thinks like him in the White House today.

Holy poo poo.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Steigerwald owns.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
look guys, all i'm saying is that if a man wanted to watch two teams hit baseballs with bats, he shouldn't have worn a shirt that represented one team. he deserved to be beaten into a coma for that.

~The Steig~

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
he's mad because his daughter became a huge slut after simply viewing that Vonn picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
A dude for Forbes wrote this.

Forbes.

http://blogs.forbes.com/tomvanriper/2011/04/21/move-the-dodgers-back-to-brooklyn/

Tom Van Riper posted:

Move the Dodgers Back to Brooklyn
Apr. 21 2011 - 6:07 pm | 1,268 views | 0 recommendations | 3 comments
By TOM VAN RIPER
Dodgers Uniform Script

Image via Wikipedia

How fitting that the Los Angeles Dodgers are wearing throwback uniforms for today’s home matinee against the Atlanta Braves. Throwbacks that include a “B” on the blue cap instead of the “LA” that all but the crankiest old Brooklyn fans have grow accustomed to.

Hopefully Bud Selig was watching, because the obvious solution to his Dodgers-Mets problem was right there on his television screen. Really, it’s so obvious that it’s easy to overlook: move the Dodgers back to Brooklyn, and dissolve the Mets. Yeah, we know, as much as Angels owner Arte Moreno has been trying to make Los Angeles his solo baseball empire, leaving that big T.V. market with just one team won’t do. No problem – the virtually homeless Oakland Athletics and Tampa Bay Rays can fight each other tooth and nail to see who gets to move in. That would leave a net contraction of one team, a result that Selig has bandied about before for his over-expanded league.

Mets owner Fred Wilpon, Selig’s pal and a former Brooklyn Dodger fanatic, won’t even mind. His new pad, Citi Field, already pays more homage to the Dodgers than to the Mets. Maybe he can even become a part owner, which he’s shortly to become with the Mets anyway. It’s the move New Yorkers have been waiting and praying for since Walter O’Malley abandoned them for the west coast a couple of generations ago.

Vilified as O’Malley was back east, you really couldn’t blame him. In 1957, America was on the move. Brooklyn was the past, L.A. was the future. With his fans moving to the suburbs, and no deal with New York for a new downtown Brooklyn ballpark by Atlantic Terminal train station, what was left for O’Malley at Ebbets Field, that beloved but creaky old ballyard tucked far into Brooklyn’s crumbling residential streets? Especially when sunshine, rich land and plenty of parking awaited him off the freeway at Chavez Ravine?

But those who remind us that what goes around comes around are right. Fifty-four years after the Dodgers headed west, the cities’ rolls have reversed. Los Angeles, with its smog, bum economy, suffocating state debt and off the charts traffic, is the past. Brooklyn, with its hipsters, gentrification, revitalized brownstone neighborhoods, reformed Coney Island waterfront and soon-to-open Barclay’s Center, is the future. When the New Jersey Nets finally move in, fans are going to see the NBA in Brooklyn as the coolest thing that’s ever happened in sports.

The only thing that could be better? The prodigal son Dodgers return. That’s the sports story of the century, maybe of all time. A retro style, nouveau Ebbets Field right alongside the Barclay’s Center, completing the transformation of a depressing area into a sports nirvana. Make no mistake, fans would flock there every night. It beats Citi Field, a soulless building that’s as close to a dump as a new park can get (really, you get the feeling that the Mets looked around at the new-old style parks in Philadelphia, Colorado and elsewhere and decided, “ok, we’ll build one of those, too, just not as nice.”)

Then there are the cable riches of New York and the limitless marketing opportunities behind one of best nostalgic acts of all time. As long as the new owners go easy on the borrowing and steer clear of any Bernie Madoff types, the franchise would flourish. Note to the Dodgers: Fifty-four years is a nice run in the sun. But L.A.is looking a bit worn these days, and so are you. The town may be an upgrade for the Rays or A’s, but you’re the Dodgers. Time to thank the Mets for holding down the fort, and go home.

gently caress making sense financially, move the Dodgers back to Brooklyn, dissolve the Mets, move the Rays to Los Angeles and bingo bango. You have a now-defunct newly-built MLB stadium in Queens, a 29-team league and no place for the Dodgers to play.

I just love the overall "we've been nice enough to let the Dodgers play in LA for the past 50 years, but it's time for them to come home, we deserve this" tone of the article.