Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Qwazy. :laffo::laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

seiferguy posted:

I assume Alyssa Milano is the league leader in this.
She started in the NHL with Wayne McBean which rules cause that is literally the dudes only claim to fame.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Who doesn't like the subway race to Yankee you goddamn pinko

I am 100% sure that all the worst sports writers get stuck in hockey man. Fuckin' Brooksie. Maybe he's not so much on the bad side, but more just of a cockbag than anything... Ross McKeon?? Ughhhh

Steve Simmons is the worst. Brooks atleast covers the CBa poo poo extensively even if he is an rear end and you disagree with his CBa opinions.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

barkingclam posted:

To continue awful baseball journalism:

Because the Cy Young is reflective of not just of how he pitched, but how his teammates batted when he was sitting in the dugout.

This is because Seattle's games mean literally nothing. That's what never means, Steve - literally nothing they did at any point throughout the season meant anything.

WINS ARE WHAT COUNTS BABY! COUNT 'EM!

Steve Simmons is the worst sports writer and I refuse to believe otherwise. Just a blubbering beelzebub baby. His articles leading up to the 2009 NHL draft were incredible. One day Tavares was an egomaniac who would bust the next day he was Toronto's prodigal son and Burke needed to do whatever it takes to get him.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
I didn't find that article to be so bad. Yeah, its basically telling fans to not read into stats cause its a waste of time, but its focus is on the idea that as fans we should focus on the story, as players they should focus on creating the story, and as journalists we should focus on telling it. The stats behind it all are the GM's job. I disagree, I think understanding the stats makes for a more informed fan, but its not straight up saying its all BS.

Though I am also much more optimistic.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Badfinger posted:

If the point of the article was that people that are into stats sometimes aren't great writers and people that are very good writers don't understand stats then it'd be spot on. If it was something along the lines of "This is a blueprint for how to make stats mainstream!" that'd be pretty cool.

But it doesn't actually have a point. He never manages to finish a thought and the only thing that comes across is spite.

Oh its definitely horribly written, but beneath the meandering thought it didn't offend me as much as some other articles would have beyond the fact that essays I've written an hour before class are better and more coherent than that.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

leokitty posted:

For the gently caress of it: Age of consent in Connecticut is 16.

Connecticut also still has original blend 4lokos.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

THE MACHO MAN posted:

His religious beliefs were that he'd look like an idiot if he lost and that it would be viewed as a freebie if he won. It's a trained competitor who qualified for states, not a random girl of the street. Piledrive her skull into pieces like you would for anyone else.

It's a bit of a stretch to compare it in the way they did for that article though

Even if his reasons are BS, the comparison is pretty terrible and I'm not going to get on a 15 year for not wanting to wrestle a girl. She may be just as good or better, her skill is irrelevant. I've also never wrestled so I could just be entirely wrong in saying that could be awkward for reasons that I don't feel are sexist.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

jeffersonlives posted:

Players refusing to sign is usually a marketing thing and has little to do with the player hating fans. Pujols has an exclusive auto deal with Upper Deck, and many memorabilia companies want to keep their players signing as little as possible to keep prices up. It sucks, but that's the way of the world, although a lot of guys get around it by signing side panel or in marker instead of pen. And some teams discourage fan interaction for various reasons.

There are exceptions even among star players. I'm not sure if Tom Glavine has ever turned down an autograph request, which Willie Randolph used to get pretty pissed about because he considered fans a distraction. But he's got the older ballplayer mentality and doesn't give a poo poo that his autograph is nearly worthless even though he's a 300 game winner and sure HOFer.

This is true and it goes for all sports. The Islanders do at least 3-4 team signings a month all year long and use everyone multiple times, but in his two years here Tavares has never been apart of a team signing, only Steiner sports or immediately after his drafting, because of his various sponsorship deals and such (being that he is the only player anyone not an Isles fan would know).

Personally I really don't like the practice. But I'm also not the one making money off of it.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

TUS posted:

Is there a rivalry between Philly/Boson in either Basketball or Hockey? "Hey, Bruins and Flyers hate each other, why can't the Red Sox and Phillies?!"

Sort of. Both are in different divisions. But both have had big tough teams throughout the years and when good certainly had a natural "two good tough teams rivalry" thing. Plus last year either Boston choked to Philly after being down 3-0 in the series.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
If you guys wanna see some really bad journalism go to here.

http://7thwoman.blogspot.com/

Somehow she has more inside access than Chris Botta because the Islanders higher ups are retarded. Yes its a blog, but she's essentially their beat reporter.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mornacale posted:

If a baseball player said they were taking the year off to read poetry, they would immediately become my favorite baseball player for all time.

RA DIckey reads poetry and play baseball. :3:

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I've liked everything on the site so far. It's another place to get good semi-long form journalism and that's pretty great in my book.

Yeah, even the stuff thats not what i agree with is at least obviously a product of effort. Theres a self awareness that is refreshing, and its nice to be able to enjoy the idyllic-ness of sports writing without feeling guilty. The story of the 3 on 5 game high school basketball game is really good in this regard. Its like good Rick Reilly writing. It gets a bookmark from me.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Ribsauce posted:

I was pretty excited about Grantland because I have always felt long form sports journalism needed a stronger foothold on the internet. So far I am really enjoying most of the content.

The article about sports on a DVR is spot on. I simply cannot watch sports if they are not live. I DVR NBA games all the time but never watch them if it is not live. My dad does a hybrid version of recording, he has it down where he will record the game and then start watching from when the 1st quarter is actually ending* and he has it timed so he can skip commericals and catch up to the game being live with about 8 minutes left. I cannot even do that. I never thought about it, but that point about the commercials upping the drama is spot on. On the rare times I have to DVR a game I go to insane extremes to not find out the score. It is just flat out impossible unless you watch it right when you wake up or something.

*or whenever the correct time is.

Even if I don't know the score, knowing the game is already concluded takes away a lot for me. Its like knowing that there is a twist at the end of Fight Club but not knowing the twist. You end up looking for the twist and when it happens its less of a surprise and more like "ah, there we go. that was clever."

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Edawg06 posted:

Honestly, I don't think that's really it. I think it's more "Oh god we are going to have this rammed down our throats for a month." The HBO Documentary is proof of this. I mean, Jeter is a fine player and full credit to him when (if!?) he reaches 3000 hits. But it's not a national event and I don't need live look-ins of every at-bat.

Why didn't anyone make a documentary of Craig Biggio's 3000 hit and as an Astros fan I am totally unbiased in that statement.

Cause Derek Jeter has an EDGE.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Bigass Moth posted:

Yes and the Arizona Diamondbacks needed it more than the Yankees :lol:
My twin towers were blown the gently caress up and all I got is this lousy Mike Piazza homerun.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mornacale posted:

Oh, I see, so it's just "dumb jocks" rather than "dumb blacks" well I guess that's perfectly reasonable. :allears:

Actually Simmons is right to an extent. Whether its nice or not, the NBA primarily draws from lower income households and the elite skipping/breezing through college. Hockey is primarily middle-class and above for its talent pool. Its not 100% true for every player, but the difference in economic background makes a difference. This is especially true for American B-ball players vs. American hockey players. American hockey players play longer in college at better colleges and have less freedom to gently caress up because they are not an economic foundation of schools in the same way basketball is. Its a hosed up system.

He probably should have gone into that further, otherwise you have knee-jerk reactions like your post and half-asses apologies like his.

That being said, player unions and players have lawyers who do know what they are doing. I don't think the education background is at play in this lockout.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 21, 2011

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

ElwoodCuse posted:

Actually, athletes from lower income families have a significantly smaller chance of making it to the NBA

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6777581/importance-athlete-background-making-nba
Hockey requires all that plus the equipment (which needs replacement regularly when your growing/poo poo gets hosed) and icetime is more expensive. But I guess at that point the difference in price becomes negligible?

There was also I think a Simmon's article on a kid who got would play in corporate leagues and would get paid to do so. Would poo poo like this be a factor, or a small blip?

Regardless, I don't think Simmons' was implying the NBA is just "dumb black people."

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Dutchy posted:

Does that sentence become more cool and reasonable if they say "Why are you rooting for anybody, you should still be playing right now!!!!"?

Ever so slightly. But not really. Sports fans who have that "WHAT? YOU THINK ABOUT ANYTHING BUT BASEBALL?" attitude are the worst. They will legitimately argue that they deserve a return for all the sweat and tears they put into watching their team.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 21, 2011

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is kind of not quite so accurate. First of all, I would agree on balance that NCAA hockey players do attend college for longer than NCAABB counterparts. However, this is in part due to the fact that most of the top-level talent in the NHL plays Major Junior. People who play Major Junior hardly get an adequate high school education. Of course, many elite basketball players also skip NCAABB but I would imagine that the percentage of total players attending university at any point is higher for the NBA. The elite talent that goes to NCAA for hockey typically leaves on a similar trajectory to their basketball playing counterparts.

In fact, I might argue that hockey players have less formalized education than basketball players (ignoring quality and performance etc). I do agree with your point about background, which makes a big difference in terms of the quality of the years of education.

I understand that your point is american hockey players vs. american bb players, but it's kind of disingenous to discount a majority of the NHLPA's membership, who are Canadian, and/or played Major Junior.
A lot of the Junior kids go to school while playing. There are awards for best scholar and such and for those who are not top prospects they may attend Canadien universities. Those who skip right through may not have an educational advantage degree wise, but they still have an advantage as their families tend to be better educated and can help them make sound financial decisions. That kind of support makes a huge difference.

IS there a way to look at stats for parents educational backgrounds of athletes?

Regardless, I don't think their is a huge difference (there are some really "dumb" hockey players, especially those from reservations and who have little contact with their family on travel teams. Its really hosed up how many of these kids from that background have disorders and behavioral problems), but I don't think Simmon's was making a subtly racist point.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 21, 2011

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Totally agree with you on the support and background thing, but most of the guys who make the NHL don't go on to Canadian universities. Most of the guys who make the NHL out of Junior either make it straight out of Junior or they toil in the E and A for a while before finally making the show.
Yeah, I can go with this.

quote:

I think lots of people underestimate just how disruptive it is to uproot 15 year old kids, put them all the way across the country with host families and expect them to play extremely competitive hockey at a high level which expressly conflicts with their education. It's a really hosed up system (Danton, etc being the worst of it), but at a lower level it's still damaging.

Agreed 100%. Sometimes it works out fine, you get a great host family, a good coach, and your set. But it puts kids in a very vulnerable position where they can get isolated easily. Frost will always be the worst example of how quickly that atmosphere can destroy kids. But even just not being home must have a stunting effect on these kids.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...ksEnabled=false

This is one hell of an article on Marcus Dixon. Didn't even know his story.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Steigy is a piece of poo poo homer and his partner sucks rear end too. The team is set-up to be the best team in the league and exists only because of Mario's sweet tears over potentially losing his legacy. Meanwhile franchises are left to rot because they haven't been blessed with Tears of the Lemieux.

Ovechkin still owns. He's been Kovulchuked, reduced to a gimmick. Give this guy a real coach and not some fat guy in a suit and some better conditioning. Similiar thing happening to Stamkos (though he's still producing), coaches can't regulate these dynamic players to one-timing PP point dudes. Its easy and produces goals but its going to get shutdown and lead to them neglecting the rest of their game.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Mornacale posted:

Wrong Steigerwald, buddy.

Well, thats a rant wasted.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
Roids would help a lot for specific players and if Laraque is to be believed, its common place. I'd assume its common place more within the goons. Actual players need more lean muscle, being bulky (especially in today's speed game) doesn't help. It would help with recovery times though.

If anyone is a steroid suspect is DiPietro who put on as poo poo load of bulky muscle in a single offseason then proceeded to have every joint in from the hip down deteriorate despite being a fitness/workout freak and a natural multi-sport athlete.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 6, 2011

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You were actually the first person I heard this from awhile back; what are the sources on this? I haven't heard a peep about DP and roids but my ear isn't as close to the ground for isles news as you obviously.

Not trying to call you out, just curious that's all. Did someone in the locker room peep to the media about it all stealth-like? :ninja:

People on the IslanderMania message board have connects to people inside the team. Either by working there, or associating with people who do, or through some of the season ticket team greets where fans have had conversations with Nolan and such. From people who used to go to the practices, news articles from the time (Isles website was bragging about his sudden macho-man physique and said he was poised to have a huge year). It was a really rapid weight gain and it was pure muscle, dude was absolutely ripped (those who would go iceworks said he gained it all in like 2-3 months from April to the very first skates when he would do workouts with McCabe and poo poo). The year before Sean Hill was busted for roids in an incident that was surprisingly quietly swept under the rug. The sudden muscle mass addition and subsequent destruction of his joints are suspicious. And there were steroid being used in the Isles lockerroom by Hill.

I don't fully buy the story, but for someone who is as freakishly into his health/body as DP, I just find it hard to believe he had the kind of injuries he did. They just completely wore out. Some of it maybe that DP rubs people the wrong way in person (theres a good story of him in the AHL and how vets were getting pissed cause he he was a smug poo poo to the AHL vets), but if you wanted a classic example of steroid symptoms, DP had 'em all. Ovy drinks a shitload and its probably a conditioning thing. He can be explosive in short bursts and when it matters but he can't fly around anymore. That and there is better offensive depth cutting into his minutes.

Okposolypse fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Dec 7, 2011

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Medical Sword posted:

I like how he allegorizes a trade between baseball teams to rape

We got a rape joke, black joke, hitler joke, and some lovely stat argument. Its like an amalgamation of lovely Fans With Opinions into a single article. Its not terrible, like there are worse articles with far more stupid arguments, but its the shear amount of poo poo crammed in that is impressive.

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

Crion posted:

Uh huh. How do you feel about the US Women's Curling Team, out of curiosity

Im sure it was Sewden or Canada that had the hottie but curling is mesmerizing for reasons untirely unrelated to that. You could naked rosie o'donnel's or mila kunis and either way that sport would still be captivating for unexplainable reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okposolypse
Jan 1, 2009

by Debbie Metallica

R.D. Mangles posted:

My favorite baseball player in the whole world, Slammin' Sammy Fuld, has a great article on Game 162 from the Rays' perspective.

Thats seriously superb.