Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

morestuff posted:

I love reading about sports before 1990, when players would doubleteam groupies under the bleachers before eating two Big Macs (with a side of nose candy) and punching an opponent in the back of the head.

The best is really Mickey Mantle describing his greatest moment at Yankee Stadium being a blowjob he got under the bleachers once (and only a blowjob because he was injured and couldn't gently caress)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Wasn't that before Kornheiser got big on PTI though? (because it was actually like seven years ago, god I feel old) So I guess despite the terrible script, he would at least have the fact that he's pretty popular right now going for him...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I saw that there were 90 some posts since I checked this thread yesterday and thought "whatever it is, I'm betting it's not worth 90 posts..."

Look how wrong I was.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Wait, so is Grantland back up for you guys? I'm still getting that same placeholder page with the basketball/soccer ball.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

exethan posted:

ESPN Statlines are completely ridiculous sometimes. I don't remember the exact wording, but Tim Tebow was the first quarterback ever to lead 6 4th quarter comebacks in his first seven games (or something of that nature).

Since there are so many sports analysts and many hours of televised programming on various networks, is this a recent phenomenon to come up with such ridiculous sample sizes? Or have statisticians always done this?

I don't think this is really new. When ESPN has Did You Know in the 90s, wasn't it mostly random crap like that?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't know, I kind of agreed with the Klosterman article. No coach is more blatant about doing whatever he can to build teams of one and dones with hardly any real continuity from year to year. And his critics always bring up that he has never won it all, saying that maybe it's not as simple as Calipari is trying to make it.

I disagree with the doom and gloom portion (nor do I think we are that close to it already - Butler was a missed three from winning the championship two years ago and Butler and VCU were in the Final Four last year) - but I do think it will make it easier for UNC or Kansas or whoever to field a team of all freshman studs who are guaranteed to leave the next year with less public or fan outcry. (edit: not that that is inherently bad either - it's just an effect I think you would see)

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 29, 2012

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Due to time constraints, Grantland has replaced JoePos as my main source of quality sports writing this past year. So looking at JoePos now... what happened? His articles are very spread apart and nowhere near the quality they used to be.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

haljordan posted:

Fire Jay Mariotti blasted Bill Simmons again for his idiotic Ewing Theory (he was trying to apply it to the Celtics and Rajon Rando this time).

Someone please explain this to me. The Ewing Theory states that the Knicks somehow performed better without Ewing. And yet:
Number of Knicks titles while Ewing was on the team (including when he was injured): 0
Number of Knicks titles after Ewing left: 0

God you're a hack Simmons.

I've never really had a problem with Simmons. He's basically like if you or one of your buddies got insanely lucky and got hired by ESPN. I read his articles as the bullshit that you and your buddies talk about at the bar - and I think he views his writing that way as well, so I don't really mind. It's certainly not award winning worthy writing, but it's a fun way to pass the time.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I honestly think that if I would have read some of his really early stuff at the time, I would have agreed that he was a really promising journalist, but to see that he is now at this point is just really sad.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I went to the Grinnell basketball game tonight (they have been in the news since one of their players scored over 100 points last weekend) and at halftime a couple of guys with heavy duty cameras sat out on the floor in front of me. Next to them was a guy who sure looked a lot like Rick Reilly. I figured I had to try to talk to him, and it resulted in this conversation:

:): Hey, are you Rick Reilly?
:smug:: Yes. Hey, did that last free throw bounce up and hit that pipe? (he seemed entertained by that event)
:): Uh, yeah, I think so. Hey, have you ever read any #HotSportsTakes articles on Grantland?
:smug:: I don't think so. What was it? Hot sports... ?
:): Hot Sports Takes.
:smug:: Nope.
:): You should check them out, they're really good!

He honestly seemed to have no idea what I was talking about, so I can only hope that I directly cause Rick Reilly to read a #HotSportsTakes article...

Also, my girlfriend asked who he was after I talked to him and noted that he looked like a huge douchebag.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

What I'm reading is that you had an opportunity to throw things at Rick Reily and did not do so.

You do not even understand how hard it was to not just straight up tell him he was a piece of poo poo. :(

edit: He looks extra smug in person and spent the entire second half complaining that the game wasn't giving him anything good to write about.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Seriously, Forums Poster Denis Lemieux is either trolling or is choosing to be willfully ignorant about an issue that negatively affects way too many people. Just ignore Denis Lemieux and we can continue with intelligent conversation.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Great trolls don't have to make sense, they just have to piss people off.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Simmons's last 10,000 word Brady/Manning rant is the Simmonsiest thing he's simmonsed in awhile.

I love Bill Simmons. I just really enjoy reading his articles, even though they are mostly ridiculous and stupid, they are just so damned entertaining...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The first time I visited the new site it correctly suggested Iowa teams for me, but when I went back later it suggested Bay Area teams, so I think it's drunk or something...

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

I only hope they have more autoplay videos when you click on a news story that consist of a 30 second ad and a 25 second sportscenter segment that says what the article says.

That pisses me off way more than it should. It's common enough on websites now that I generally keep my sound on mute unless I specifically need it, but it is so goddamn annoying when I have the sound on and click on an ESPN scoreboard.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Almost all of the Grantland writers (minus Simmons) churn out amazing journalism at an incredible pace. And I still love Simmons because his articles are a great way to coast to the weekend on a Friday afternoon at work. It really is a fantastic site.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Marklar posted:

I'd love to hear BIll talk about the Clips... or any of the playoff series, really.

For a second I thought you were talking about Barnwell and it kind of completely broke my brain.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Barnstormers much?????

And they are now sadly in something called the IFL, which I think is more of a semi-pro league.

I was more about the Des Moines Dragons anyway, the Energy ain't got poo poo on them. (except talent I guess, they probably have much more of that)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Every time I read horse racing articles like that, I always think about that old Jerry Seinfeld routine about what's going through a horse's mind after a race.

"Oat bag, I get my oat bag now! Oat bag time for me!"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

Is Joe Pos ever going to finish his "100 Greatest Baseball Players" list? It stops at 37 on his website.

He has said a few times that he is going to eventually, but it's obviously been awhile. A lot of the readers have said he should edit what he's already done, do the last 36 and publish it as a book. So who knows, maybe he'll do that?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

People are so stupid. The NBA owns social media because they encourage youtube highlights, .gifs, etc. How hard is it to look at the great job they do and say "OK, we should do exactly that"?

The NBA is so far ahead of the other leagues when it comes to embracing social technology. It seems like they got it from day 1. They even have Social Media Awards and hired some guys who started a podcast in a living room to create a show on their channel. Meanwhile the NFL fines you if you tweet to close to the start or finish of a game :rolleyes:

edit
This sums up how badly the other leagues handle it. The NFL is 10 times more popular than the NBA (probably more). The official NBA twitter account has 25% more twitter followers than the NFL one. David Stern went on a podcast 5 years ago. Goodell, as far as I know, still has not.

I hear some guy named Simmons has a new podcast, maybe Goodell will do an episode!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

edit: ^^ Doesn't stop them from playing at places like Williams Arena

Sash! posted:

This reminded me of one of the things I've long wondered about basketball: how come they don't have boards around the court, kinda like hockey? I don't mean with the glass and everything, but some sort of partition like that, behind the benches.

For this era anyway, it's money, I assume. They make a bunch on those seats that are actually courtside and fans generally assume no real risk by sitting there.

But didn't they used to play in a fully caged off court? Hence the term "cagers"?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I don't care what anyone says, I love Bill Simmons. And obviously the same goes for Katie Nolan.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Fusion folded 14 years ago man

Related, one of my prized* possessions is a team poster of the 2001 Tampa Bay Mutiny. Has anyone ever written a book about the first 10 years or so of the MLS? Seems like there would be a lot of material since I recall it almost dying before rebounding to where it is today.

*-not really

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Grantland is basically this millennium's "The National"

I hadn't heard of that, luckily I can learn all about it from... Grantland. :smith:

http://grantland.com/features/the-greatest-paper-ever-died/

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ty1990 posted:

Sooooooooo seriously what other sites are out there for good sports writing? I'm legitimately lose without Grantland.

Longform.com and Longreads.com both have sports sections if you like some of the really wordy, in depth pieces.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

That was my favorite part, I think Simmons did a pretty good job of getting some real answers from Obama, good interview.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Stop worrying about who Bill Simmons might have a crush on, probably

I have a lot of silent time to fill in my days, I have no choice but to listen to the Simmons podcast! And anyone who did would probably agree, it seemed kind of awkward, but it was still a good podcast and I will watch whenever he goes on her show or her podcast or whatever they were talking about.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Is that field turf pellet cancer thing legit? I remember hearing rumblings before, but I thought it was viewed as kind of a crackpot theory. She made it sound like it's all but proven, surely we aren't running kids out onto field turf every day if we know it causes cancer?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It makes me wonder how they came to that figure? I would think the kind of people who watch him would watch any talking head who spews bad opinions he doesn't actually believe. Is his following so great that they wouldn't save money by putting Joe Loudmouth on at the same time for $200K a year?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Ribsauce posted:

Can someone tell Bill Simmons to stop saying "would you bet your life" a minimum of 20 times a podcast?

thanks

(I know Simmons sucks, bla bla bla)

Are we sure Ribsauce is a good poster???

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy or something because I love Simmons. You know exactly what you're getting every time and I generally find it highly amusing. Even when he just bitches about deflategate, I find it funny, could be a form of brainwashing, not sure.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

What is happening, I don't understand.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Sash! posted:

Plus its insane when there's examples of women sports dominance that were treated positively, for instance when Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh obliterated literally everything flung into their path for like 12 years.

And maybe I just missed it, but I don't recall ever hearing anything negative about Ronda Rousey before she lost. Many people genuinely believed that she would never lose and didn't have a problem with it at all.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

Des Moines had a minor league basketball team way back in the day called the dragons and their games were ungodly awful.

Every time I think about the Dragons I just remember this hilarious story (I had misremembered that he was playing for the Dragons, but close enough)

quote:

Fargo's Pratt arrested in uniform after fleeing from IBA playoff basketball game

WEST DES MOINES (AP) — A former Iowa State basketball player who now plays for the Fargo Beez of the International Basketball Association was arrested following a police chase.

Officers said Kenny Pratt was still wearing his uniform following an IBA playoff game in which the Beez defeated the Des Moines Dragons 117-116 when he was arrested Tuesday night.

West Des Moines police said they were notified by Ames officers Tuesday that they had a warrant charging Pratt with contempt of court.

Officers talked to Pratt and his coach before the game at West Des Moines Dowling High School, and they agreed to let Pratt play if he surrendered after the game.

But Pratt tried to flee the school immediately after the game.

Witnesses said Pratt jumped into a van driven by another person after the game. The van was stopped a short time later and Pratt was taken into custody without incident, officers said. He was later released from the Polk County Jail on bond.

In addition to the Ames charge, West Des Moines police charged Pratt with interference with official acts.

The contempt of court charge stemmed from a 1996 incident at a bar in Ames.

Pratt was charged with disorderly conduct and had failed to pay his fine, said Ames police Sgt. Jim Robinson.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Thank you all for doing a public service, I was actually going to listen to that.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

The Ringer is nice to have because there's some good stuff, but I don't check it every day like I did Grantland and I can't imagine I ever will.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Add another thing to the list of reasons to never watch sportscenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

MourningView posted:

You can turn auto play off

Cool, thanks. I have flash blocked on chrome to prevent auto starting videos and was also noticing that espn was autostarting again.