Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

Reminds me of:

where I have no idea what the context is

Is that Muggsy pointing a gun at himself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Niwrad posted:

I don't know why but I can't stand Albom either.

Read any of his columns and you'll understand why. From the dad jokes of Dr. Football to the obvious points made to sound profound to the shameless self-aggrandizing (one of his Sunday columns last year was literally just about how great the actors in his play about Ernie Harwell are), he's the loving worst.

He also has the nasty habit of making one-line paragraphs that he repeats over and over again because he thinks they are mind-blowing.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ouch. At least he's owning up to it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Bryan Curtis wrote about the annoying "Talk About" non-question: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/sports-media-press-conferences-nba-nfl-mlb-nhl-lebron-james-bill-belichick/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

That's literally the kind of thing Rovell is paid to report. It's really not that bad and it colors the story a little bit. Schefter just tweeted something similar so people know exactly what he's walking away from. It doesn't make him an unfeeling robot--although there are plenty of other Rovell examples that make him out to be one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

morestuff posted:

This has already been called out as lovely on Deadspin which means everyone has probably seen it, but it's really super lovely.

I saw Bomani tweet it and dear God, what a lovely column.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought Rolling Stone did fire people over this months ago?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
To bring this back to sports (in the sense that it's by a sportswriter and bowfishing is technically sport) and things that aren't deeply upsetting, Holly Anderson's piece on a Florida Man is one of the funniest things I've ever read. It apparently came out in late February but it was just brought to my attention yesterday by Jon Bois' twitter and I don't remember seeing anything about it in this thread.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

Or give her a show on Comedy Central called "The Sports Show"

They tried that with Norm MacDonald.

There was also the Onion Sportsdome but it was very short-lived and thinking about it makes me sad because Get Out of My Face doesn't exist anymore.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spoeank posted:

From what I've seen on Twitter Bomani Jones would have a whole section devoted to complaining about people in the comment section.

It would probably be pretty funny.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also Brian Phillips is loving incredible on a consistent basis. Sometimes the deeply analytical sports guys get a little boring, but Simmons is the only regular contributor that I don't consistently enjoy and never makes me think. And almost everyone is a pro Twitter follow.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BWV posted:

Brian Phillips, Charles Pierce, Louisa Thomas, and Wesley Morris are so fantastic and what they do. Greenwald and Papademas are quite excellent too, but there are few journalists/writers I enjoy reading more than those 4.

Sometimes Wesley Morris goes totally off the deep end but he's unquestionably really smart. And he has a Pulitzer.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I enjoy Steven Hyden but his opinions are really strange.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Give the website to Brian Phillips.

Or Shea Serrano.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crion posted:

Deadspin's fondness for taking shots at Simmons comes from the fact that he's an amazingly easy target that they can get good quotes on from their sources at Bristol, not because of some personal animus. If I recall correctly most of the Deadspin "poaching" took place before Tommy Craggs even took over Deadspin, and even he's moved on to Gawker EiC at this point.
Yeah, the entire purpose of Deadspin's existence is to skewer sports media so any apparent hatred of Simmons more than anyone else is because of his visibility.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bob Ojeda posted:

Sure but it'll still suck not having a place for Brian Phillips, Louisa Thomas, and Charles Pierce to go nuts writing about whatever they want. Not to mention the pop culture people like Morris and Lambert.

Grantland going away would (is going to) suck even if everyone ends up somewhere.

People like Brian Phillips and Charles Pierce are probably capable of writing whatever they want for whomever they want. The great thing about Grantland was having them all in one place.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not to mention even their most obscure writers now have a much more impressive resume. Internet longform writing is a big world.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's bizarre to me that pro wrestling journalism is something that people care about

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The pop culture writers will have no trouble finding work. Shea Serrano in particular can do just about anything in that sphere.
Those are the ones whose next moves I am most interested. Shea Serrano, in the absolute worst case, has a day job as a teacher anyway. I have no idea where Rembert Browne came from but hopefully some big name sites would be smart enough to see how entertaining of a writer he is.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

chunkles posted:

Rembert Browne is one of the few who can actually suck me into reading that stuff which I normally don't do. I'd hate for him to get sucked up into some giant pop culture website where I'll never read his stuff.

If he gets any kind of leeway with what he's writing you could always just follow him on Twitter and then read him when he posts his latest article.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bearic posted:

I really liked n3twork (or is it netw0rk? I forgot where the number goes)'s stuff, and he was entertaining with his Game of Thrones writeups/podcasts too. He's a bit try-too-hard when he has a whole column to himself, but he's hilarious in small doses. He'd be good at Vice or something, I suppose.

It's netw3rk, although he's actually started using his real name now (Jason Concepcion).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
No, but if Simmons gets another editorial job somewhere and they really love him as an editor, a lot might jump ship.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BWV posted:

I think people judged it highly because it was the new kid on the block of long-form/prestige journalism. Unlike other sources of content like theirs, Grantland didn't have a few decades of credibility to fall back on. That's also why that massive gently caress up on the trans/putter story was so damaging.
Since then I think they've done a lot to push against that, but I think that's mostly because they have such excellent writers that would never gently caress up like that. Brian Phillips, Charlie Pierce, and Wesley Morris ooze credibility and legitimacy. (Andrew Sharpe on the other hand sounds like he wants a job on first take)

Andrew Sharp is a goofy 20-something that enjoys writing silly articles. He would be incredibly out of place on First Take because he actually understands how ridiculous sports are.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Barnwell's best skill is knowledge of 90s post-hardcore bands

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spoeank posted:

You follow the Cubs because of the Iowa Cubs, this is what all my fiancee's relatives (except the lone cousin who was poisoned/saved by her dad into loving the Niners/Giants) tell me. The point of it all was how are the teams chosen? Are they chosen at random? Color scheme? Logos? Who is good? Non-regional fandom is weird to me because I see fandom as an extension of us/them regional tribal mentality.

A while back there was a "State Yourself" thread in TFF to explain why everyone rooted for their teams, and there were multiple people who chose their teams in Madden as children, even if there was an NFL team in their backyard. The tribal mentality thing is usually accurate but people childhood fandom decisions are tough to overcome (although it helps when it's a dynastic franchise with a lot of media exposure. I'm honestly amazed that MV is still keeping up with the Jazz). Those of us with local teams were usually just destined to like them at birth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mitch albom is not happy with the criticism of shirtless Jim Harbaugh: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/columnists/mitch-albom/2015/06/06/mitch-albom-sunday-column/28605725/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

So It Goes posted:

ESPN literally shows a spelling bee every year, not to mention stuff like a hot dog eating contest, pool, bowling, poker, nascar, golf, competitive cup stacking, and even chess but people like to draw a line at e-sports for some reason.

Seriously though, the spelling bee is super dumb. ESPN should show those high school math competitions too while they are at it, and maybe the finals for a national debate club competition.

If you didn't think the Gokul/Vanya showdown was one of the sports events of the century then get the gently caress out of SAS

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Can we have a BattleBots thread in SAS?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I liked Andy Benoit's tweet because it led to Jon Bois dropping the most Jon Boisian twitter burn:

quote:

dude that isn’t how you type an ellipsis. for someone who disrespects women you sure have a lot of periods

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Gawker having an entire section called "Defamer" is a pretty big clue as to why they would be such shitasses over nothing. Skewering people over anything they can find is what they do, ethics be damned.

EDIT: This could be read as dismissively saying "Gawker will be Gawker" so let me make it clear: it's incredibly awful that they pull stunts like this on occasion.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 18, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Deadspin's purpose for me is either really stupid but funny little videos and screencaps or the occasional angry Magary rant--when he's actually on. It's really evident in Why Your Team Sucks that he can't actually muster a great takedown of everything, but the fan responses are the best part of that series anyway.

Occasionally something else will be good (the recent "I'm Worried About David Brooks" was really hilarious) but for the most part it's whatever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spoeank posted:

Especially in light of the righteous fervor Jezebel whipped themselves into over the leaked celebrity nudes last year. They're both scummy as hell to post but one you defy a court order to keep up? That seems logically inconsistent at best.

Deadspin was also one of the sites posting the celebrity nudes, or at least the Verlander/Upton one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm not sure if that was sarcastic but the issue is that publicly outing people's sexuality is generally pretty despicable. We all laugh when it happens to a politician calling gays an abomination but any other scenario is usually bad.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Frackie Robinson posted:

I didn't know he left ESPN

:psyduck: He's been at Yahoo since 2007.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is sportsmanship dead? Mitch Albom thinks...maybe.

quote:

Two football players got in an argument this past week. One was a linebacker. The other was the starting quarterback. Often starting quarterbacks wear red jerseys during practices, to remind teammates not to hit them too hard.

That didn't stop the linebacker. In a dispute allegedly over $600, he coldcocked his quarterback in the face in the locker room — a "sucker punch" is how some witnesses described it — breaking the passer's jaw and landing him on the injured list for at least the first few weeks of the season.

The linebacker, IK Enemkpali, was immediately cut from the team. The quarterback, Geno Smith, underwent surgery and won't be taking snaps for a while.

Meanwhile, also this past week, an Australian tennis player named Nick Kyrgios got angry at his opponent, French Open champion Stan Wawrinka, turned to him and said that another player had slept with Wawrinka's girlfriend.

"Sorry to tell you that, mate," he added.

Well. At least he said sorry.

Swift justice for miscreants

Now, I'm not sure what to make of all this. It's true that athletes have a long history of fighting with each other. Remember Kermit Washington punching Rudy Tomjanovich, or Ron Artest attacking half the Pistons and their fans? Some sports, like football, actually encourage a little "healthy" intrasquad engagement, although breaking the starting quarterback's jaw doesn't show up on anybody's healthy list, least of all the quarterback's.

And it's true that in both cases, the perpetrators were swiftly dealt with. Enemkpali lost his job (although he was picked up by another team and his former coach). And Kyrgios immediately was fined the maximum on-site amount of $10,000, while his sport continues to review the matter and may add more penalties.

But there is a hair-trigger anger in sports today that is different than the old days when baseball players clutched at each other until the umpires separated them, or John McEnroe threw a tantrum and yelled at referees that "you guys are the absolute pits of the world!"

That stuff seems downright Brady Bunch compared to Gilbert Arenas, the NBA star, who a few years ago brought guns to practice and reportedly told a teammate he had been squabbling with to pick one if he was so tough. The teammate declined, then pulled out a gun of his own.

Is this sports or the Sopranos?

And this month marks the one-year anniversary of a still-controversial auto racing tragedy in which veteran driver Tony Stewart killed a young driver named Kevin Ward Jr. by striking him with his car in an upstate New York sprint car race. Stewart claimed it was 100% accidental, and his sport and legal authorities have exonerated him. But Ward's family recently filed a wrongful death lawsuit, claiming that Stewart intentionally gunned his engine when Ward was walking on the track.

At the very least, it was a confrontation that had a seriously tragic conclusion.

You wonder what's on the horizon?

Have your teammates' backs

Look. Our world has clearly become angrier. Everyone yells. Everyone demands respect. (Whatever happened to earning it?) Everyone has an opinion. Everyone tweets. Twitter, Facebook and Instagram give harbor to fast tempers. Reality shows fill us with the idea that if there isn't conflict, it's not really life.

If sports was not always refuge from that, it was at least a place where the rules kept your worst temper in check. There were fines nobody wanted to incur and penalties that would hurt the team. There was also the scorn of the locker room if you broke the cardinal rule of having your teammates' backs.

Pulling guns or cracking a jaw doesn't really fit that spirit. And telling your opponent that your friend slept with his girlfriend doesn't jibe with the spirit of "the gentleman's sport."

The culprits in the past week's incidents were very young (Enemkpali is 24, Kyrgios is 20). Maybe this is the new manners. Maybe it's a sign of the times. Maybe it's just coincidence. But I've covered sports for a long time and can't remember either incident ever happening before. A teammate broke the quarterback's jaw? My buddy slept with your girl? We're going to have to come up with a new meaning for sportsmanship. Hopefully it won't be "a word that means nothing anymore."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rovell just tweeted an extra dumb thing and is getting bodied by Bomani Jones.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/638108360647266305

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

How many tennis players in the world get endorsements? The only two I have ever seen are Federer and Sharapova. You barely even see them.
Like all of them? Tennis is a big international sport and athletes in individual sports tend to get endorsed by tons of things. The American advertising landscape is not representative of how much the big names rake in outside of just tournament winnings.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah, you're not going to see an ad with any of them during a football game or something.

To emphasize how much tennis players make: Novak Djokovic once bought the entire world's supply of donkey cheese. It is only produced at one farm somewhere in Serbia costs $500 a pound.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Idk but I just double checked and apparently that report was a hoax and British newspapers are loving stupid. Day ruined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

I honestly mean this in the very best, nicest way possible but Stephen A Smiths rhetorical style reminds me alot of Adolf Hitler. One of the Germen Chancellors favorite things to do was to start a sentence in front of a big crowd using very muted, diseffected tones, almost at a whisper. What this does is force the audeince to lean in just a bit and focus there listening on what your saying. Then, after you've got everyones attenton you gradually build and build and build until you could be screaming about whatever the hell you want whether its the foreign banking cartel or Carmelo Anthony and everyone will be drawn in and almost force to agree with you. Its almost like listening to "Stairway to Heaven." As Smith cresendos up from a delicate acoustic beginning to basically telling Skip Bayless to gently caress off like its the end of the guitar solo and the drums hit and Robert Plant screams "And as we wind on down the road." I literaly got goosebumps when he was pulling this off live.