Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

nasboat posted:

what I found particularly grating was that I drifted into sportswriting because I could write and I love sports -- seemed obvious. Then I spent night after night missing the actual sporting events that I enjoy watching, instead having to write 20 inches on a 78-25 blowout win in a high school girls' basketball game.

(well that and the pay)

e: combine that with the fact that print journalism is dying, the places you'd work up to are laying people off left and right, so there's no spots to try and aim for -- and the lower rungs of the ladder are being fought over by people who are overqualified for the position but need work. Poor pay and terrible prospects for the future.

Before college, I chose between going for sports journalism or teaching. I'm happy to know that I was smart in avoiding sports journalism. Unfortunately the same poo poo applies to teaching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

I saw this on twitter and knew it would be posted here. thanks for helping me stay sane. Goddammit Woj.

e: The poo poo that gets me is the language he uses. Like it's some mark against his MASCULINITY that Lebron attempted to pass the ball. And that poo poo is being propagated by this guy

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 28, 2012

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

haljordan posted:

Ehh he's still not as bad as the clown that wrote "Whore of Akron" a.k.a. "LEBRON JAMES IS A BIG MEANIE AND LEFT CLEVELAND."

I thought The whore of Akron is really more about the author's obsession and examining his irrational reaction. I haven't read it.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

haljordan posted:

Yeah what took you so long to come out of the closet, Doug Collins you coward? I mean, we all know it's so incredibly easy to be a homosexual in a professional locker room. TOOK YA LONG ENOUGH, rear end in a top hat.

To provide context, the author, Josh Barro, is a gay conservative.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

the twitter website has gotten fine enough, it stays in chronological order for me and I block some of the dumb poo poo on it

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

well considering the police aren't doing poo poo, then perhaps

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

MourningView posted:

NFL network is doing well but the other ones seem like they have a pretty hard time getting on basic tiers. If you look at college the Pac-12 was the one league that tried to do a network without partnering with ESPN or Fox and it's been a disaster. Plus networks are still shelling out a ton of money in rights fees because sports are the biggest reason people keep cable.

More to this point:

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/wwe-network-peacock-exclusively-streaming-1234890954/

WWE has been trying to get this thing going for like a decade, tanked their PPV revenue, and never got past like 1.5m paid subscribers (down to 1.1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Strauss is the worst of them, but I've never come across any Warriors media guy that is anything but insufferable. A bunch of smug assholes who bought into the "light years" thing and think their team was like, morally correct, and everything else is selfish basketball.