Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, unfortunately we live in an age where being lovely is a sound business strategy.

I love that Pirates fan is saying this. If anybody knows how sound a business strategy being lovely is, Pirates fans do.

Sigh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's had an ongoing battle with them about "standards" for a long time, but I wonder how much of a role the NFL had in the suspension.

I think it's pretty easily assumed this suspension happened because the NFL demanded it. And the language of ESPN's statement strongly hints, for me anyway, that the NFL phrased its demand along the lines of "it would sure be a shame if something happened to that gigantic TV contract that your employee just technically violated..."

From ESPN's perspective the smart thing to do was ignore it altogether, it was just Simmons being Simmons. But no way in hell was Goodell going to let that slide.

e: But it's possible this is strictly a pissing match between Simmons and his ESPN bosses, who have been established to hate one another for a while now

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 25, 2014

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yes, and it's inconceivable that the NFL could be lyiohwait.

fakeedit: Oh, it was "a source". Well then.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No one in the general public gives a poo poo if she's an rear end in a top hat, she's hot!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Admittedly I've never been a hardcore Grantland reader, but I've never heard of any of those people

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

DeepDickPizza posted:

The fact that he deleted the tweet probably means that he realized it was out of bounds. Seems better than most people on Twitter can do.

Next step: Realizing that tweets can't really be deleted, once you hit post it will stay on the internet forever

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MourningView posted:

I mean that is not the best way to handle it, but I think I would be annoyed if like half internet was breathlessly speculating on whether or not my place of employment was about to be shut down all the time (with a lot of them seeming to openly delight in doing so).

Well that would be because it pretty clearly IS about to be shut down, right? I'm not sure how much sympathy I can muster for people who apparently are working hard to convince themselves it isn't so. I mean I know it sucks but lashing out at people isn't constructive, work on your resume.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

All right well maybe I'm just drinking the kool-aid then and it'll be around for a long time yet. To spite Simmons, I guess?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ESPN at least tried to keep Lowe on board on their own site, right?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

euphronius posted:

Poor Zach he just had a kid too.

I have a feeling he'll have no trouble finding gainful employment if ESPN doesn't want him.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

quote:

As one senior ESPN source told CNN, “We’re getting out of the pop culture business.”

That last line right there is the bottom line quote that sums up the entire Simmons-Grantland-ESPN snafu from day one.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So It Goes posted:

I mean they're free to do what they want but I have personally left two weeks notice from at-will jobs I've quit as does pretty much everyone I know who is a working professional and doesn't have a vindictive desire to burn bridges and references. It's not about whether its mandatory or not, that's not the point. I do live in a very heavy employer-friendly state for what its worth (i.e. the south).

I live in an employee-friendly state and it's the same here, you don't burn bridges for no reason unless you're an idiot. Of course if you're just at entry level it doesn't matter what you do, but anywhere above there pissing off your boss (who is probably better connected than you or they wouldn't be your boss) on your way out is only ever going to result in bad things for you.

In a case like the ex-Grantland editors where they're already nice and secure with a new and better job and their ex-bosses are kind of a laughingstock around the industry to begin with, yeah, they can feel free to go wild in that case.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

So It Goes posted:

It's not even 100% about whether they not owe ESPN specifically. Assuming those 4 editors actually did significant work and weren't worthless, I imagine the remaining editors at Grantland itself did not appreciate having to work 20 extra hours for the following month when the 4 editors that left could've just simply given notice instead of following Simmons grudges (assuming they did not in fact quit the same day/week Simmons said he'd hire them). I'm not saying the editors should have stayed on any longer than the did, it just don't see how it isn't douchey to not give notice of your plan to leave that wasn't some spur of the moment thing.

I hear where you're coming from but preying on a normal person's tendency to feel guilty for screwing their co-workers (even indirectly) is exactly the kind of thing rear end in a top hat companies do. At some point you have to say "forget it, I owe this company nothing, if it increases your workload and you don't quit that's on you but this company sucks and I'm out right now."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Niwrad posted:

No major companies poo poo talk former employees anymore. Too easy to get sued. They just have HR say "they worked here from this date to this date".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

straight up brolic posted:

smart people dont spend money on television or digital properties because they know how to get them for free so the market corrects to the lowest common denominator

Wisdom right here, boys

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Not saying I have any idea what ESPN would have done, and YMMV, but overwhelmingly the experience of me and everyone I know is if you give your employer 2 weeks notice the employer will immediately terminate and your former co-workers will be screwed anyway. HR departments are usually super paranoid about having workers around they know have already accepted a job from another company.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Optimus Subprime posted:

Do you work blue collar? This has not been my experience in white collar work, but I've never had to leave a job in bad terms so I always have given 2 weeks notice, and this has always been with at will employment.

White collar. And yeah usually you get paid for the 2 weeks anyway but usually they just terminate immediately.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KingNastidon posted:

ESPN told Simmons that his ability to cultivate thoughtful analysis/long form journalism isn't important by firing him.

I mostly agree with what you're saying, but let's be honest here: it's more like ESPN told Simmons by firing him that his ability to cultivate thoughtful analysis/long form journalism isn't worth putting up with his bullshit.

Re: jobs and giving notice, at sufficiently large companies the middle manager isn't the one making that call, it's an HR thing. And HR gives no fucks what is convenient for that one specific department. In My Experience.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Maybe but it's not too outlandish, especially with the biggest corporations. The day is probably approaching when employees' badges are also going to be tracking devices and performance reviews will include things like "over the past year you spent 9 minutes per day in the bathroom versus the company average of 7.5, that needs to come down below 8 or else you need a doctor's order" and "it takes you 21 seconds to walk 50 yards in the office on average, this needs to come down to below 19."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Timby posted:

Two days after I went back to work, I got a letter saying that I was out of a job. At-will employment. :suicide:

I'm not a lawyer but did you talk to one? I'm pretty sure that's a flagrant flouting of the FMLA that they'd have a hard time justifying in court. The FMLA and its ilk supersede at-will employment.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

This proves that using a single anonymous source is generally a bad idea.

Sure, if your intent is accurate reporting. If your intent is generating clicks, however...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If Lowe doesn't start writing for ESPN.com soon then it seems likely he's fighting them behind the scenes over something.

If/when he does resume writing for them I have to assume he'll be going behind the Insider paywall. I mean why wouldn't they put him there? He was the most widely read strictly-sports Grantland writer, I'm pretty sure.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Watch it be over something pedantic where Lowe wants to keep using his 10 second .gifs/YouTube videos and ESPN is saying no or he has to use their player.

Might not even be all that pedantic since "no you have to use our player" probably translates to "no readers have to sit through a 15 second video ad before they're allowed to watch each video clip imbedded in your articles."

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

god, everyone involved in designing ESPN's website should be lined up and shot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kibner posted:

All I have to say is that, sometimes, design decisions are not made by designers.

You're not kidding. That design is the kind of quality only an executive committee is capable of.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

soggybagel posted:

Or when they had Liam Neeson on sportscenter and he didn't know or care about jack poo poo.

That sounds awesome actually, they should do stuff like that more often.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ungratek posted:

It also had to do with Rick Reilly getting the interview, which pissed Simmons off to no end.

Justly so. That alone is a reason to burn the whole place to the ground and salt the earth.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I agree with him when he says companies with the sole focus of maximizing revenue is wrongheaded, but he also seemed to want Grantland to be some underground, hipster thing. And his disbelief that Simmons would want more people to read good writing, not for the sake of increased profits, but simply because people should read good writing, was odd,

The thing big businesses systematically do that appears obviously crazy and self-destructive from the outside is focus solely on maximizing revenue right now... but it's perfectly rational from the inside. Investing my budget in the infrastructure and R and/or D required to build a profit-churning powerhouse in ten years does me no good, because if I don't increase profits THIS year I'll be fired and some other rear end in a top hat will reap the benefits of my long term strategy.

In Grantland's case the divorce was messy because Simmons and Skipper appear to both have outsized egos, but the divorce was probably coming anyway because ESPN's business model is circling the drain and the expensive vanity project was going to be the first thing its Disney overlords instructed them to cut.

Ribsauce posted:

Klosterman has been on twice now and both times he has had a 5 minute tangent than basically boils down to "I don't see why businesses want to make money. They should be happy to not make money." He was against Grantland trying to get more traffic. It really sounds like he can't grasp the concept a business exists to make money.

This sounds way more like Gladwell to me. I listened to Gladwell talk last week and his willful ignorance/denial of the fact businesses exist to make money was amazing.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

ESPN actually tried that with him as much as 15-20 years ago and there was so much viewer backlash over toned-down change in style that they let him revert to his old self.

Believe it or not, there's still plenty of people that LOVE the poo poo he does.

Right, that would be all the people who were in their 20s when Berman first got big, and who are now in their 50s and incidentally comprise most of ESPN's viewership now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

SO MUCH has changed, it's easy to overlook but holy poo poo everything has changed. I'm 33 and I remember the days--it was all the way up through about the time I went to college--when if you wanted to know who won all the games that weren't on network TV, WGN or TBS, you watched Sportscenter or you checked the newspaper the following morning.

Nowadays I find even the bar at the bottom of the screen showing all the scores annoying because it's like, yeah, if I want to see all the scores I can get them on my phone in ten seconds. Sometimes I'm DVR'ing and don't WANT to know the scores to certain other games. It's only been about 15 years since it was Sportscenter-or-nothing for most people.

I see teams like the Dodgers signing mind-boggling local TV contracts and the biggest market teams rolling out their own TV networks and printing money, and I think... where's that money coming from in 15 years? Hell, given all that's happened in the last 15 years, by 2030 there probably won't even be cords to cut anymore. TV viewership skews oooold, and when the current viewers die off I doubt younger folks who will then become the old folks will rediscover a hankering for contracts with Comcast.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

What matters more is where we're at in terms of our telecommunciations broadcast whathaveyou in fifteen years. If we're still dependent on the Comcasts of the world and they successfully implement throttling/data caps then the TV deals are still in play, since people won't be able to get everything they want online.

Comcast is already flailing around in desperation because it sees the handwriting on the wall but it's too late. Widespread data caps low enough to force people into contracts with Comcast is never going to happen now. That's a thing of a swiftly dying world.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My favorite part of the podcast was right at the beginning when she busted his balls for adopting L.A. sports as she (or anyone else) drat well should.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I like the sultry pantsless pose for Serena's cover photo. Another victory for feminism!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Vertical Lime posted:

How did I know this would be a complaint

Who's complaining? I am certainly not complaining!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ElwoodCuse posted:

She was a difference-maker in other areas, speaking out against bodyshamers in both words and actions, posing for the Annie Leibovitz–shot Pirelli calendar in only a bikini bottom. The cover shot of this issue? Her idea, intended, like the Pirelli shots, to express her own ideal of femininity, strength, power.

This is 100% cool if that's what she believes in. 'Bodyshamers' is a thing? I guess that's what I was being a few posts ago? Maybe the world needs more male athletes wearing less clothing :shrug:

e: Gonna shut up now because I'm probably already getting probated for bringing it up and it was dumb and I deserve it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 14, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah it reads like something he already wrote and was just waiting for something he could toss into the template and publish. Even someone as evidently clueless as Whitlock can see that there is nothing odd or untoward about giving the SOTY award to someone who is possibly the greatest player in the history of her sport and had a fantastically successful year at what for tennis is an ancient age.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No matter who uses the word "fascism" always means "things I personally dislike".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ribsauce posted:

Does anyone else think Deadspin has reached a new level of stupid with their obsession that Tom Brady hasn't disowned Donald Trump as a friend? They have written probably 5 articles about it. Why do so many people think there is some law you automatically adopt the politics of your friends? I hated George W. Bush as a president but I bet I would really like him if he moved in next door.

Also I have reached a new level of stupid for still reading Deadspin. I go there out of habit even though 30% of their articles are ads (excuse me "sponsored content"), 30% more are not sports related at all, 10% is just a tweet you click on and nothing else is added, 20% of the articles are bad, and 10% of their content is worth reading.

The only relevant question is: Does it get clicks?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I thought it was pretty generally understood that he works for Scott Boras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

ESPN briefly retained Sean McIndoe but then fired him like a week before Christmas. He just landed with Vice Sports.

This is unsurprising since ESPN has been on a crusade against the NHL for years and seems to go out of its way to employ bad hockey writers