Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

How can you be dumb enough to say that out loud in 2016?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Akileese posted:

My only argument is he's only looking at it from a fan perspective (he's essentially arguing against Malcolm Gladwell's point that in 25 years football will be dead), but pretty much refuses to address (Football is supported at a young age and kids are brought up playing it from age 10 on. If parents pull those kids from playing it, where does the talent come from?).

I think the best argument against talent attrition is that lower income families are going to be less likely (or at least slower) to stop their kids from playing football, and football pulls much of its talent from those families. The bigger concern is going to be high schools dropping it altogether because of safety concerns. The second scenario he lists, and tries to refute is pretty much how I envision it

quote:

It becomes a regional sport, primarily confined to places where football is ingrained in the day-to-day culture (Florida, Texas, etc.). Its fan base resembles that of contemporary boxing—rich people watching poor people play a game they would never play themselves. The NFL persists through sheer social pervasiveness—a system that's too big to fail and too economically essential to too many micro-economies.
Edit: Simmons moderating a Gladwell-Klosterman debate on the future of football would be a hell of a first episode for the HBO show.

Veshpo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 2, 2016

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Waffles Inc. posted:

Essentially, I can't imagine a world in which a teenager raised in a white liberal house in 2030 doesn't completely roll their eyes at football like current ones do at UFC or boxing or Nascar

Yeah, that's basically the point that I was making (and that I'm sure a lot have made), that the people most likely to keep their kids from playing football for the next few decades haven't been a major part of football's talent pipeline for a long time.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

KFBR392 posted:

So how do you guys think the current situation where tickets "cost" 45 but cost 499 should be fixed? Who should get the Delta?

You may not agree with his conclusion, as I certainly dont in all respects, but his analysis of the problem is spot on from what I know of that world.

Personally I think tickets should cost more up front and only be transferable via an official app or exchange service for a peppercorn fee, if any.

Teams whose tickets end up selling for significantly more on the secondhand market should probably raise their prices. Teams whose tickets sell for significantly less on the secondary should probably lower their prices.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

exploding mummy posted:

He worked on a UFC preshow on Fox Sports.

He got canned from that job months ago because UFC didn't like his reporting on Rory MacDonald being in a contract dispute with UFC and would likely be a free agent after his June fight.

He hasn't been one to tow the UFC company line.

I'm sorry, I can't help myself, it's "toe the line"

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

exploding mummy posted:

You were champing at the bit for that correction.

Full disclosure, I had to look it up to make sure I hadn't been thinking it wrong the whole time. I also learned that that phenomenon (tow the line, chomping at the bit, duck tape) is called an eggcorn, so thanks for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I'm trying to be a sympathetic reader here and figure out what context is missing that could be reintroduced to make this anecdote anything other than a guy being extremely cool.

Islam is a religion of peace