Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

seiferguy posted:

Citoball isn't swinging at pitches as hard as you possibly can and take no pitches, it's Cito Gastion in a back room injecting steroids into his players' rear end. The gig is up, which is why he's retiring at the end of the season.

He's not injecting it into their rear end dude. Citoball and all. It is more effective that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eggs posted:

Ah yeah, forgot that pitchers used to go the whole game back then. But still, you'd think in the year 2010 a major sport like baseball would want to move past the old era and try to modernize a little bit more than they have. Or maybe I'm just being too idealistic.

Because it is immediately obvious to the casual fan that a good W-L record is a positive. Less immediately obvious is that a low ERA is good, and beyond that the average viewer isn't going to have a clue what you are talking about without a ton of re-education.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Are there any sane, rational critiques of SABRmetrics? I don't mean debunking but just taking a critical look at it. I've had some minor complaints ever since I took quantitative analysis classes so I'm curious if there is a good article that looks at stuff like that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A drat FOG posted:

Sabermetrics is such a broad field of analysis/study that I don't know if there is such a thing as a rational critique of it because basically what it means is finding newer and better ways to quantify baseball skill and performance. The metrics themselves aren't perfect but the whole point is to keep making them better than what we had before.

There are lots of critiques of individual metrics (like WAR or VORP or whatever) I'm sure you could find, maybe some other posters have links.

That is more what I mean seeing critiques/analysis of individual metrics rather than the field as a whole.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

zakharov posted:

The comments on an article about gay couples wanting to be on the Cardinals' kiss cam are truly stunning.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_c97e027b-d897-5fa4-88fc-40b014719810.html?mode=comments

QUEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only stunning thing about that is how many people are actually sticking up for the homosexuals. That is so much milder than I would have expected comments on an article involving sports and homosexuality to be. I was stunned when I saw "exposed to the reality of homosexuality" and it wasn't followed up by how evil it is, and then someone mocking the notion of the "gay agenda."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have never heard of Will Carroll before, that guy must not be able to tell stories.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Koons posted:

From this article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/football/nfl/12/25/bengals.fans.plea.ap/index.html#ixzz1hf86OYEQ

"Franchise quarterback Carson Palmer then insisted he would sit out rather than play another season in Cincinnati. The Bengals eventually satisfied his request for a trade, sending him to Oakland during the season.

Although the Bengals got a first-round pick and a conditional second-rounder, for fans it confirmed the notion that the franchise is hopeless."

Huh?! Yeah, every Bengals fan around here definitely shouted, "This is bullshit! We got two high draft picks for someone who isn't even playing on our team? THIS FRANCHISE IS HOPELESS!"

That quote isn't saying the fans were pissed about the picks, they were deflated by Palmer wanting out. When players want out (and it's not like he is the first to get disgruntled with the Bengals) it is pretty easy for the fans to feel hopeless no matter the return they get.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Steelers fans get poo poo on because they cheer for a rapist, actually

Steelers fans are pretty insane in general. My uncle moved to Pittsburgh recently and hearing about Steeler days in public schools and stuff like that was pretty nutty. It did put my neighbor who's cars and yard is decked out in Steeler stuff during the season into perspective. Maybe this is common knowledge but living in CT (and now MA) for my entire life kept me in blissful ignorance.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crion posted:

What the gently caress is a Steelers day

I think I can guess the general gist but I want to hear it

Every Friday (or maybe just certain Fridays) at her elementary school during the football season is Steelers Day and everyone wears Steelers stuff or black and yellow. Granted during elementary school every day was Don Mattingly day, but that wasn't official policy, Don Mattingly was just awesome and we all knew it. At least, I wish every day was Don Mattingly day...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Why didn't Cory Lidle crash his plane into the Post?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Has there ever been an article critical of WAR that doesn't include "whatever that means."

I also wonder if anyone has pointed out to these writers that there couldn't be anything more valuable than a player making league minimum and putting up the kind of stats Trout has. MVP should always go to the best pre-arbitration eligible player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Vertical Lime posted:

I don't know where else to put this but Mike Francesa is announcing that WFAN is moving to 101.9.

This is a pretty big deal all things considered. Apparently the Yankees wanted to be on FM and this is how it's gonna happen.

Lame. It was nice having the Yankees on WCBS since it meant I could get the signal throughout most of New England without switching stations. That does mean less of the population will be subject to him though, so that's good.