Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
He never wrote anything besides "look what I got to do because I'm a famous writer", "isn't Barry Bonds/Michael Vick/Villain of the Week a real jerk?", and "let's all feel (happy about/sorry for) this (small-town athlete/disabled person/little kid) who (did something cute/is getting screwed by people in charge)".

Hell, if he was really feeling it, he could do all three at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

From that article:

"If a mistake at work gets you fired, do you scream for a do-over?"

If I got fired because of a mistake that could have been easily corrected by watching 5 seconds of video (or something else requiring minimal effort and existing technology), you better believe I would be screaming for a goddamn do-over.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Man, you know your sports journalism sucks when your own newspaper is accusing it's team of taking steroids. Damien Cox is basically saying "Bautista is hitting dingers, bet he's on steroids!"

http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/2010/08/gotta-at-least-ask-the-question.html

I know, I know, Deadspin comments, but I thought this was pretty good:

quote:

Not everyone has the balls for the "I don't have any evidence, but wouldn't it be great if it were true?" slant AJ prefers.

And the "perpetuating the story not with additional information but with stories about other people talking about the first allegations" was brilliant too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

He also announced on the air for listeners to launch a denial of service attack on The Big Lead after they posted an article criticizing him.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Haha maybe it was posted in that word salad but Steigerwald had a nice meltdown on his website when he got kicked off a local sports talk TV program for making racist comments about the guy Pitt briefly hired as football coach for having a baby out of wedlock.

And here's a great bit where he digs his own grave defending himself, saying "the fact that he's a black makes it (the issue of his child) even more important because 70% of people in the black community have a child out of wedlock"

http://tinyurl.com/3enegjp (goes straight to mp3 podcast of interview)

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Jesus, between that post and some of the comments on it you'd think the guy got called some obscene names or at worst had a beer poured on him. Not, you know, beaten within an inch of his life.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

For a guy that apparently considers himself a sportswriter and a sports fan he sounds like the people that come into the odd GBS sports thread and talk about how sports are stupid and sports fans are children and why do you get paid millions of dollars to throw a ball around but I only make $38,000 a year working 60 hours a week an IT Help Desk.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

AlleyViper posted:

I tried to sit through this, I really tried, but I just couldn't make it. As soon as he tried to compare he role model argument to Weight Watchers I had to turn it off.

Yeah, he really reaches the Glenn Beck level of "I want to punch this guy through my radio/TV".

I hope this column goes national, I don't think anyone outside of Pittsburgh cared about his racist remarks about the football coach.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Jesus it's like he thinks someone overheard him saying poo poo in a bar and then spread it around. Not that he wrote something clumsy at best and reprehensible at worst in a column published both in print and online.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Smizek has always been a tool, his feud with Mark Madden is pretty funny too.

Although I guess to be fair he's just a bad writer, not a bad person like Steigerwald.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

How many articles has Reilly written about plucky, courageous girls competing in boys sports because there wasn't a girls team to play on?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Plus there's still the issue of just what effect whatever he did use actually had on his playing ability. Any of a number of factors could have been responsible for his production, including "being possibly the greatest baseball player of all time".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Well, remember--no one would have been offended by his garbage about the Giants fan who got severely beaten if it wasn't linked all over the Internet. We should have been more considerate of that guy's family and not discussed a writer saying he deserved it because he wore a rival team's jersey.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Holy crap, that's where she is? I used to work with her in Wilkes-Barre, she didn't have many fans in the office there.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The "if you knew what I knew wink wink " stories about Jayson Werth cannot possibly be as bad as the ones about Pat "Vintage" Burrell.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The National owned, it was a mind blowing amount of content for its time. I remember they had scorebook style boxscores for baseball games. You know, the grids with 4-3 and backwards Ks and stuff. I also remember a really awesome long form about sports disasters and their possible aftermath. The Marshall plane crash, the Minneapolis Lakers almost crash, the roof collapse in Hartford, etc.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

morestuff posted:

You haven't missed much (except for the LA Noire piece, which was excellent).

Bissell hit it out of the park with "I wondered if the single most damning thing about video games is the fact that one could argue, legitimately, that 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand is a better game than L.A. Noire."

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Is it Paul Lukas? I can't see because Grantland still doesn't work for me. He digs up a lot of great information on uniform design and manufacturing and minutae but his opinions are pretty awful.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

morestuff posted:

Alternatively, just standardize your sports' drat rules.

Seriously, I guess I just don't "get" baseball because I've always thought the DH/No DH split was really stupid

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

That column is ridiculously overblown but wasn't it lovely to give up two late, tying goals like that? I honestly don't know, I don't know how often that happens in soccer or how often it should happen between two teams of that skill.

The "winning a soccer tournament is consolation for the earthquake and tsunami" angle I've heard from some people is much more repugnant than "did America choke or not".

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

does even Bleacher Report do that? good lord

also thank you so much for introducing me to GOOMF

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

FairGame posted:

gently caress. I used both. I meant Passan, the SU graduate that does his best to make all Newhouse kids look like a bunch of smarmy fucks (which isn't far from the truth, but still!)

He was there when I was :(

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Actually, athletes from lower income families have a significantly smaller chance of making it to the NBA

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6777581/importance-athlete-background-making-nba

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Is there any issue which sportswriters have been more consistently wrong about than PEDs? It's not just idiots like Steigerwald that can't write coherently about the subject. See: basically everything written about Barry Bonds since 2001

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

https://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/12/columnist-fleury-was-an-enabler-of-sexual-abuser/

Retired hockey player and sexual abuse victim Theo Fleury was an "enabler" because he didn't speak out against his coach sooner

ugh

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The field caught up to Jim Rome a long time ago, I don't see how this move is particularly horrifying

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

The Thrashers moved because of their dumbshit owners running the team into the ground, not because of the city of Atlanta

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Rick Reilly writing about Barry Bonds was the worst poo poo ever. Even if you dislike Bonds it's just lazy writing, it's the sports equivalent of "what's the deal with airline food? am I right folks?"

I wonder how many columns he wrote about Barry Bonds putting aside money for Brian Stow's children to go to college

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I think Pittsburgh can make a good case for runner-up "most insufferable" this week what with all the media, players, and fans saying crap like "See? Spygate :smug: I think you can retroactively award two of those Super Bowls to the Steelers"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I'm a fan of a local sports radio producer getting fired for drunk tweeting

Isn't that the dude that gave up 756 to Barry Bonds?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

dog poop n doritos posted:

This is true, it's led to the best Jose Canseco tweets.

Bats

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

I can think of at least one factoid missing from this graphic

Ben Folds owns

I watched that game too, it was either on the MLB network or during a free trial of extra innings. The article does a great job recalling how hosed up it was.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Oh and the parts of the ESPN book about the NHL are a must-read for anyone who wonders why the NHL went to OLN/Versus/NBC Sports

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/#!/JoseCanseco/status/171799945173667840

He did it again, in case you missed it

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Was Jose Canseco always insane or did he lose his mind after his days in the majors? I mean, I remember all his shenanigans and maybe it's just the internet giving him a voice but every so often (like today) he completey flips his poo poo on Twitter.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

There has never been a home run hit to right field at Petco Park ever? Is this some kind of sarcasm or do they mean the power alley or something? I know the place is big but goddamn.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Rick Reilly wrote Another Good Thing, putting his count of worthwhile stories written for ESPN somewhere above two.

Was I alone in being unaware that Tiger Woods had siblings?

Is there another side to this we aren't seeing or is Tiger really this heartless? I mean, who knows what that " falling out" was.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

I kept trying to get through all that and failed every time. So a woman with a gambling blog who runs meme sites got hired by ESPN and then conned another guy with a meme site by having him email other people at ESPN that don't actually exist?

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

barkingclam posted:

Simmons is also a hockey expert now, just years after trashing the NHL in his Red Sox book and saying the Bruins lost him as a fan. Funny what a Cup run will do.

It's not even the Bruins anymore either. Back in the fall he bought Kings season tickets and wrote about how great hockey is. Then he forgot about that once the NBA lockout ended, and surprise surprise started tooting their horn when the playoff rolled around because they beat Vancouver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Meat Recital posted:

How is this possible? USA gets slightly higher cable ratings than ESPN, yet is worth roughly one tenth as much?

Because ESPN's advertising sales are through the roof, and keep going up the more sports move from OTA to basic cable.