Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I'm going to balance some of this out by saying that Chuck Klosterman can, now and always, burn in hell, and he can take Carles with him

We need to go back in time and stop David Foster Wallace from killing himself. Then also go back in time further and like, I dunno, make him like baseball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

If there's one thing I'm confident in, it's that David Foster Wallace would have been able to come up with something to make it work

Or he just would have written something else, possibly better

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Uhhh watching Kevin Gregg pitch in the ninth inning is, in fact, art

I am informed that tragedy and comedy are both classified as such

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I don't really know if this counts as sports journalism because I don't give anyone a blowjob for playing the right way, but:

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2011/10/...ber-part-i.html

The thing I posted in that thread that one time last week has been cleaned up, fact-checked, de-adverbed and generally made a lot more readable, and I will now stop posting about it forever.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Spencer Hall is funny but I got real tired of the word stupid like three paragraphs in

Also that dude needs a copy-editor for EDSBS

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Mornacale posted:

Cool misogyny in your byline, Ms. Engel.

I'm more baffled by that verb tense on to be

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Badfinger posted:

I empathize with that sentiment. There are a lot of media sharks almost gleefully waiting to completely break Paterno. If you're a journalist don't write what you want, write the facts. If that is something that does what you wanted in the first place, so be it. It's the weird place of thinking the last 10 years doesn't completely tarnish the 35 before that, and that while he didn't do enough he didn't do nothing.

And also the weird air of reporting where people are more focused on Paterno than on Sandusky. It may shock some people to learn that Joe Paterno is not, in fact, a child molester.

Unless the twitter dude grossly misquoted him, his Katrina line was reprehensible and moronic and enough by itself to show that he's doing himself no favors talking about this in public until he gets a handle on himself

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

That piece was a rushjob we started Wednesday night and managed to get servicable by Thursday; I'm doing the ProGUESTus or whatever next week as well with an article I've had to rewrite twice because of Jeff Freaking Mathis

Crion fucked around with this message at Dec 10, 2011 around 01:39

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Nut Bunnies posted:

The BBWAA is so goddamn dumb.

http://bbwaa.com/conlin-statement/

Jesus loving Christ.

The BBWAA doesn't kick members out for plaigerism; it was a foregone conclusion that this sort of non-statement would be their official response.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Nah it's all good you guys, /conlin-statement/ is totally overridden by /conlin-statement-2/

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Anime Reference posted:

Look he's not a pedophile, he's an ephebophile.

I realize this was somewhat of a joke but that doesn't even apply and it's really not something to be joking about

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

It turns out I'm joining Baseball Prospectus's writing staff next year, so I may start showing up here more (or less?)

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

stuart scott irl posted:

http://www.csnphilly.com/baseball-p...74&feedID=10156

Should Lidge's Number Be Retired?

Holy poo poo I just now got Bill Baer/your blog's name

Also, lol

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

The pitch type database at my job lets us leave notes and Lidge has my favorite note from back in 2008: "best slider in the game! NASTY"

Have you left a mean joke in Adenhart's record yet

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

dog poop n doritos posted:

And now batting, number 3B, third base for YOUR New York Yankees, Third Base!

3B Yankees is the new QB Eagles

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

haljordan posted:

The fact that Cal Ripken Jr. didn't get 100% of the vote (I know, he got 98% but still) proves this.

Cal Ripken Jr didn't get 100% because of the Pete Rose guys + a (NY?) sportswriter who used it to make a name for himself by insinuating Ripken used steroids and that's why he stayed healthy all those games

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

hcreight posted:

Oh hey, they didn't cheer for an abhorrent politician.

Do they get a second lifetime pass if they don't boo after the national anthem on MLB Opening Day?

If Philly ever boos the national anthem I might just up and throw in my chips with the Phillies, Flyers, and Eagles

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

hcreight posted:

I like to think this country can still fix itself.

I want to believe.

If it helps any I was mostly concerned with the national anthem being a breathtakingly terrible piece of music, let alone an "anthem"

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

peepoogenderparts posted:

I would add, "Girls who like an entire team just because one of the players 'is a hottie'."

Uh huh. How do you feel about the US Women's Curling Team, out of curiosity

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

What the gently caress is a Steelers day

I think I can guess the general gist but I want to hear it

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

The only good entry-level jobs in sports journalism are supplementary ones; you need to be doing something else to pay rent while you blog/write columns until someone picks you up. And then blog and column while working your day job until you have enough separate freelance revenue streams that you can stop the day job and just focus in on the writing.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

leokitty posted:

Putting dudes who write in front of the camera just because they do stuff for you is bad. Get people who are good on camera to do video if you want it to succeed.

I'm honestly kind of morbidly curious how many circles of hell this video initiative is going to put Amy Nelson through before they give up on it

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Drunk Canuck posted:

Wow, that is a lot of outrage about Andy Pettite signing a minor-league deal.

This is something ESPN does routinely to just about everyone so it's not like this is happening in a vacuum

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Pvt. Public posted:

It really is truly frightening how well the building of stadiums and the glad-handing and shady deal-making therein correlates so well to everything else funded by even the tiniest amount of public money. And the worst part is that the vast majority of people don't know, can't be bothered to give a poo poo and if they did, would become incredibly enraged (though since this is America, it'd be impotent as all hell) over how the systems of society really work. Maybe even enough to institute some change. But who can be bothered when the new American Idol is being crowned? Bread and circuses, man. Bread and circuses.

Well this ignores the sizeable segment of the popular media that exists to spend as much energy as possible convincing said public that these things are good ideas, but that's neither here nor there

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Question for baseball people: is there a consensus on Lincecum's delivery at all? Wasn't there a big hubbub about how his dad was a mechanic and that his athletic delivery puts less stress on the arm than most windups? And now that article says that he's a ticking time bomb. What gives?

I remember the dude on Hardball Times who used to analyze pitching motions was in love with Lincecum, so I don't get it.

He's got an extremely violent, jerky delivery that by conventional wisdom should lead to injury problems but for some reason it hasn't, probably due to some combination of luck, good genes, and a very good training regimen. There's really no way to tell if a pitcher will break or not until he does.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I'm pretty sure every NY sportswriter dreams of the day they get to take their knives to Jeter and get away with it

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Toffile posted:

I kind of want to see what tortured logic lets a team move up the rankings while getting banned from a country.

Dylan Bundy, essentially. Maybe a bit of Jonathan Schoop turning into a Top 100 prospect (51 or whatever BA has him is probably a bit high), but people freaking love Dylan Bundy.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

It would absolutely suck to be the beat reporter of an MLB team. 162 game stories, none of which matter unless you're on a select number of teams. The same 25 players over and over that have been written absolutely to death, or will be by the other 300 beat reporters from area papers, TV networks and other media. Statistical samples are absolutely useless until about July. Managers and players are some of the worst interviews in all of sports. Keeping track of prospects, inevitably a part of your job, is really hard to do beyond face value. And on top of all that, you have the same cadre of lovely fans questioning your every word. Filing the same two stories every day for roughly two-thirds of the year would be mind-numbing.

Accordingly, some of the least interesting journalism comes from baseball, and it seems to wind up as the most criticized subsection of sports journalism in here. I believe the correlation is strong.

I could not be a beat reporter and I have no idea why anyone would want to unless they got to be part of the team's cable sports network as a part of it and do TV segments as well

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The thing that gets to me about the Sarah Phillips story re: freelance work is that she had a "spotless" online reputation when she was hired. It is very risky to just go by the Internet when looking for online writers.

Is there some other medium besides the internet that I'm not aware of that editors should be using to judge their online writers

And it's pretty hard not to have a spotless online reputation without glaringly loving something up badly (Hi, Crossing Broad!). Hell I get described as a "surrealistic, postmodern baseball writer on Twitter" just because I retweet a guy calling himself weedhitler ten times a day

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

haljordan posted:

So is "weedhitler" a guy who's really against weed, or a guy who loves Hitler and getting stoned?

Please don't troll weedhitler; he is a very nice young man.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I guess we can go through this all again, but when Deadspin publishes [X salacious/stupid piece] it is doing so because it gets hits, and hits are the fuel that power that empire. The Erin Andrews piece had over 25,000 more hits since 8:20 this morning than any other piece published afterwards (last I checked, none had broken 10, with the Andrews piece over 35K)

And pieces like that open up their ability to go with slow-burn in depth articles like this: http://deadspin.com/5915913/athleti...-bodies-in-code

Daulerio's a sleazy journalist but he also pretty obviously knows what he's doing as an editor

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MourningView posted:

I don't think there is anyone who doesn't get this, they just still think it's really lovely. Which it is.

Honestly I think I would care slightly less if Deadspin didn't do stuff like this while simultaneously trying to crusade against mainstream sites for their lack of journalistic ethics or whatever.

Deadspin's editorial ethos amounts to "get hits and work within that framework to, when you can, do decent long-tern work so Crion can make posts like he just made to justify getting hits in the first place" so that doesn't really bother me, I'm more bothered by them kind of being used as the exact sort of negotiating flack they described in the beginning of the piece (and probably knowing that, and not caring)

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

jeffersonlives posted:

Erin Andrews is leaving ESPN for FOX, which means after years of the Andrews vs. Beadle stuff they ended up both leaving.

I'm still wondering if the network exec who co-opted Deadspin to do a hitpiece on her was FOX trying to drive down the market for her or not

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Frot Lesnar posted:

I'm sure it took a lot of arm wringing for Deadspin to do something misogynist.

I haven't read the piece since it came out but I don't remember anything especially misogynist about it outside of the site allowing itself to be used as a negotiating flack because of something they did previously which was

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

BackInTheUSSR posted:

I think maybe he is referring to the slut-shaming of when Daulerio posted the video of the girl being raped in the stadium bathroom stall.

Oh, that'll do it

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

BackInTheUSSR posted:

from GQ.

someone later stated that she was passed out and being raped so essentially Daulerio excused being raped as "a dumb mistake"

Alright, yeah, done even remotely defending that dude

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

It's because Team Hall of Fames actually should be Hall of Fames/This Dude Was Important because who the gently caress cares, the Yankees HoF is the only one that's getting overcrowded anyway

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

morestuff posted:

I'm surprised at how much more successful Grantland has been than The Classical. It's not easy to pump out high-quality content at the rate they do.

Grantland's names move pageviews. The Classical's let me write for them before. Not too hard to figure out.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I did the Seong-min Kim piece for The Classical instead of for BP or wherever because it was a broadside at the Orioles in general and Dan Duquette specifically (I think I called for his job explicitly at least once) and as much as Ben Lindbergh would let me get away with I didn't think this fell under that (later I found out it would have been fine, but that's neither here nor there). It was also 6000 some odd words long, might have had some minor profanity in it since just about everything I write tends to, and generally fit better there. It could have gone any number of places, really, but I'd told David Roth I'd write something for the site and that was it.

When I finally get around to doing my follow up (my day job isn't even remotely related to sports journalism so I can't even double dip) it'll be the same way

edit: And yeah, no one gets paid at The Classical, not even editorial as far as I know. They were discussing perhaps doing some for-pay eBook crap but I've been out of the loop on that stuff for awhile.

Crion fucked around with this message at Aug 8, 2012 around 14:21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

AsInHowe posted:

A lot of guys also have side gigs with radio shows, so keep that in mind.

Most guys in my end of the woods do radio gigs for free. Kevin Goldstein doesn't get paid for any of his iirc, nor does Jay Jaffe.

«2 »