Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

AsInHowe posted:

Like, they host a show for free?

Most writers in Detroit have an actual radio show that they host, not just a call-in segment or something.

Oh, no, they do like five-ten minute spots on shows across the country. Very very few sportswriters get to host their own shows (and the ones that do are generally poo poo sportswriters to begin with)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Demerits to the new O's logo for not using the cartoon bird, but that's a fairly faithful reproduction of Camden Chat's previous logo so maybe they just didn't want to switch up too much

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Grant Brisbee and Jon Bois do great work for SBN even if they are a bit biased towards the animated gif files

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

haljordan posted:

Jackie MacMullan: Replacement refs will cause the man giants of the NFL to rise up and DESTROY ALL THAT THEY SEE:

A tad over-dramatic, I think. She makes it seem like a player is literally going to murder a replacement ref. I could maybe see a player shoving one of them, right before he is ejected, probably suspended and fined a shitton of money for making contact with a ref.

Pretty sure there were one or two incidences of players openly shoving the replacement refs yesterday without any of those things happening.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I have literally never seen an Allen Barra article that wasn't trash, though I'm sure there have to be some out there

edit: Wait, nevermind, I think he ripped Posnanski a new rear end in a top hat for the Paterno biography which was well-deserved

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Grittybeard posted:

So I decided I was going to attempt to make fajitas tomorrow. Being a moron who has absolutely no idea how to go about this I google the subject.

What in the gently caress is wrong with you Deadspin?

Uh, in case anyone needs to know how to actually make these I did find a useful guide here.

I see nothing wrong with these instructions. Only with you.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crazy Ted posted:

He probably wasn't fired for the original "Cornball Brother" comments as much for the follow up to the comments he made to a Detroit show of some sort last week:

In half an hour after The Brent creeped on her during the NCG last night, she went from 5,000 Twitter followers to 180,000.

Most of whom then proceeded to creep on her there, like Darnell Dockett http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/7/3849286/katherine-webb-aj-mccarron-girlfriend-darnell-dockett

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Reilly predicted the Super Bowl to end 35-34 in OT today, btw (ESPN backtracked it after the fact to be 35-34 in regulation).

To do that, both teams need to get 32 points in regulation, which is no simple task. The three easiest ways:

4 TDs with 4 successful 2PCs
3 TDs with 2 successful PATs + 4 FG
4 TDS with 3 successful PATs + 1 FG + 1 safety

Then in overtime, Team A needs to score a FG on the first possession, Team B needs to drive to Team A's goal line, and then Team B has to turn the ball over to Team A then tackle Team A's recovering player in his own endzone for a safety, at which point Team B still loses the game.

That is how you get a 35-34 score in overtime.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

The broken bones posted:

Camerons the new wave of Bill Plaschkes, where at some point he's going to stop listening to criticism and just publish whatever garbage he feels like because it gets page views and being relevant is more important than enlightening people.

He will probably outlast Bill Baer, Mike Petriello, Mark Simon, Cistulli, etc., because he literally doesn't give a poo poo about being wrong.

I think I'd probably be fine with Cistulli not outlasting him

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

uublog posted:

I propose gathering all the elite writers and putting them at one Voltron-type blog. To be allowed in you must prove you can disagree with anything Cameron argues. All content is edited before publishing; anyone who tries to poo poo it up with dumb "contrarian for the sake of contrarian" articles without any facts supporting it is immediately sent back to write with the common plebeians.

The first important decision is do we let Crion in

gently caress no

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Patrick Hruby owns

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crazy Ted posted:

So ESPN decided to celebrate Black History Month and...well...either they got Drudge'd or a whole bunch of angry white people showed up at the same time.

Their majority demographic is low info white males, so no Drudge was really necessary

This can also be seen in how their internal comment flagging system has an entire category for misogyny directed at their female reporters/personalities.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Pretty sure this is the sports journalism thread, not sure why y'all talking about Bill Simmons

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Sure am sad about all those quality Bill Simmons tweets we've been deprived of

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

The Pussy Boss posted:

Josh Lueke pled guilty to a crime and served time in jail. You can say the justice system failed, and you can certainly hate the guy, but is no one ever again allowed to evaluate him (badly lol) as a baseball player without falling all over themselves to assure everyone that Rape Is Bad? That's a poor article, but "rape apology?" I don't see it.

gently caress you

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Ace Jameson posted:

rape n.
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

If you needed to get to dictionary definition number 4 before you found one that didn't reference violent sexual assault, perhaps you should have just logged out and saved the discussion your no-effort trash spewing

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Ace Jameson posted:

I'm really sorry that you're having a bad day. Maybe there's a hotline you can call?

Piniella can use that word and be accurate. Over-the top in the context of a baseball trade, but accurate if that's how he's trying to use it.

The term always implies sexual violence, even when applied to places--do you honestly think the Rape of Nanking was just about burning down buildings?--and if you're the kind of coward who hides behind a dictionary because you're unwilling or unable to articulate that you simply don't give a gently caress about the implications of using the word or what minimizing sexual violence in our culture leads to, I'm sure Reddit has some scintillating Bruins threads for you to park yourself in far away from here

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The easy and obvious problem with that is in the first sentence: businesses pay their employees.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Crazy Ted posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present for your perusal, Daniel O'Shaugnessy O'Shilelah O'Shea

I was wondering when this was going to start

edit: what's the link on this?

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MourningView posted:

Yeah there is a lot of poo poo to call ESPN out on but Deadspin's coverage of them comes off as so weird and petty sometimes that I frequently find myself in the strange position of rooting for an organization that builds an entire hour of programing around Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith yelling outrageous things at each other.

And that breakdown of what they devote time on Sportscenter to doesn't even seem that outrageous to me. I would guess that if anything their average viewer would prefer a much more NFL centric show.

It makes ESPN pretty angry, or at least Deadspin people are under the impression it does, so

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

morestuff posted:

Here's an interesting interview with SI's David Epstein where he shoots holes through Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hours theory and talks about his new book. It sounds worth a read.

"It seems like the problems come when we graft narrative onto a subject we don’t fully understand, but want to delude ourselves into thinking we do" might as well be MalcolmGladwell.txt

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Bob Gibson's transformation over the last few years from a hyper competitive rear end in a top hat with fantastic command who owned the inner part of the plate and threw at people to make a point into some kind of demi-godlike enforcer of Playing the Game the Right Way, especially among jerkoffs who weren't around to see any substantive part of his playing career like that dude, has been kind of funny to watch

I think this is the second or third time I've seen him namedropped as someone who would interrupt a play, sometimes even while the ball was live, to start a fistfight or brawl with an opposing player over perceived disrespect, which is just incredibly insulting to Gibson

Crion fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 18, 2013

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I have to watch a bunch of baseball for my job and around the middle of the season I started cursing the sport and all its component pieces. Watching baseball at the end of the regular season to see how cup of coffee guys were doing once rosters expanded took actual discipline. Do anything as a job and eventually it becomes actual work

That dude's nuts though

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

AsInHowe posted:

It's far beyond actual watching. At least you've got a column that can take some time to edit. Burke is watching every game, live and simultaneously, and is essentially trying to create instant .gifs before anyone else online. He is basically trying to gather every relevant sports image in the world, as it's happening.

It's almost mindboggling that someone could even think up and begin a task like that.

Yeah that guy's on another tier

The sort of tier that should be in therapy

It will make for some interesting and depressing divorce law reading for law students, I'm sure

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Congrats goons, you somehow got foodchat into the loving sports journalism thread

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Rob Neyer is a loving clown

edit: for content, David Roth has a far better take on the situation for SBN http://www.sbnation.com/2013/11/8/5081074/out-of-the-man-cave

Crion fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Nov 11, 2013

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Best commenters on the internet, I do declare

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

St1cky posted:

How does exposing a con artist make Grantland responsible? Everything that Dr. V said to him was classic con artist manipulative bullshit and when she couldn't talk her way out of it she chose to kill herself rather than face potential jail time for the fraud.

Speaking as a journalist: hahahaha gently caress you

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

MODS CURE JOKES posted:

This is totally unrelated to the discussion at hand, but I feel like it merits saying that Crion might be my favorite sports journalist. Unironically. Every article is thoughtful + well written + also funny. Good on you, sir.

hello, Dad

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The Lueke thing in Seattle was one of the first real warning signs of the Jack Z tenure, because it involved him lying to ownership about Leuke's past (whether actively or by omission) until the media got a hold of the story, at which point he disavowed all knowledge and ordered his director of player personnel at the time to fall on his sword for supposedly not giving him all the information.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Spoeank posted:

Careful, now.

The only reason it's acceptable from a player is because no one there has a maturity level higher than a high school junior's anyway

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
The answer to your question is "Steven Hyden is a loving clown"

Always nice to see Charlie Pierce popping up places that aren't Esquire, though

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm not going to claim that it's against the rules to defend Chuck Klosterman's writing anywhere on SA, let alone the sports forum of all places, but I am going to claim that it should be

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Declan MacManus posted:

soggybagel why do you write so many words about middling journalism

Generally you pay for print ad copy by the word

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Drew Magary is essentially an op-ed guy for Deadspin, there's nothing inconsistent at all about him having a different take on the Lebron situation than another Deadspin staffer and the site running them both side by side. That's completely aside from the quality of the opinions expressed, of course.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Drew Magary really is the Frustrated White Dad Sports Columnist for the modern era, which is something we really need in sportswriting at all times I guess.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

I hunted this quote down because I had to see in what context Peter King was allowed to write about baseball, and as bad as this is, it's got nothing on the fact that King is so impressed with himself and his own thoughts that he used letter headings to triple the size of his Ten Things I Think vanity segment (item 10 is composed of 20 sub-headings labelled "a" through "t")

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Spoeank posted:

It's a billion words to say, "hey nerds thinking B/R is going to give you a job for your '10 Best Things About Being a Fan of the ACC' slideshows, you're way wrong. They want writers from ESPN, not your dumb rear end." B/R's business model is essentially, "why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?"

This is essentially correct, but as someone B/R tried to woo away from a competing outlet to write for them full time, please don't misunderstand: they're just as terrible at trying to get people in the actual industry to work for them as they are horrible to the kids who are writing for them for free. Laughably dysfunctional company with no idea what it's doing from top to bottom, with a "contract review board" that's constantly undermining its own (mostly terrible) editors.

edit: well, that's not fair. They know what they're doing, they're just trying to pretend they're doing something else. You know in alien movies when an alien bodysnatches a character and tries to get by pretending to be people but everyone can tell there's juuuuust something not quite right? That's Bleacher Report's relationship with the actual sports media industry.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
All but three SoE contracts were terminated: Leitch's, Tanier's, and one of the mid-level editors. Part of the reason no one knew what was going on until late in the day is because they fired literally the entire LLC save three guys, of whom only one was in-office and could effectively communicate with the ex-staff.

That's basically all I have to say on the matter in public, besides the fact that this was a decision made at the faceless, inhuman business complexity level far above anyone's heads at SoE, including the guys who are still there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

soggybagel posted:

I don't see a pop culture hook here.

That's quite a first reaction to the goings-on in Ferguson you got there.