Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

That disastrous Sarah Silvermen tie-in that deadspin did really turned me off from the site. Is it any surprise that it completely blew up in their faces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

Sorry if it seemed like I was calling you out or something - I knew what you were saying. I just thought it was interesting that the site has seen a marked uptick in their hits since changing formats.

Well now it appeals to a broad range of viewers, not just the hardcore sports fans. Hell, they even have an occasional column tie in with Jezebel featuring sex advice. Because that's what I want from my sporting news. A reminder that I ain't gettin' any.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I can accept acting like a narcissistic jackass if you're a Superbowl champion or World Series hero, but the fact that there are sportswriters walking around seemingly with the same level of :smug: is truly mind boggling.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Doesn't the fact that Felix accounted for over 20% of Seattle's wins this year count for anything in that guy's mind?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

leokitty posted:

Murray Chass' 2009 Hall of Fame Ballot: Jack Morris, Jim Rice

I think that explains him completely.

Is he one of those NO PLAYER GETS IN ON THE FIRST BALLOT jagoffs?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

He also accounted for over 20% of their losses!!!

All I can say to that is......Man, the Mariners are awful.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The broken bones posted:

x-postin'

(Justin Beiber wore a Yankees hat while performing in Boston; Simmons called it "beatdown-worthy")

How much jail time do you think I'd get for hitting Simmons with a sack of doorknobs? I bet I could plead it down to simple assault and wind up with a fine & some community service.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

ryborg posted:

come on guys this is gold

NICK: Is she kidding with that t-shirt? "Keeping it Real?" There's nothing real in that shirt!

(laugh track)

MEGAN: Nick, it's time to move on. She's had the new boobs for a year.

NICK: I swear, I think they're still expanding.

(laugh track)

MEGAN: You would know. The way you were staring at them.

(raucous applause, audience goes nuts)

I'm thoroughly convinced I could sell a script for a TV show, provided I hit myself over the head with a piece of rebar for about six hours.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/telander/3807409-452/telander-brain-against-the-machines.html

Click the link to read a fascinating Rick Telander article that starts by talking about boxing and ends with a conflict between mankind and robots.

Obvious product placement by the Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots companies.

edit: Also, "Twilight Zone" did it first (Lee Marvin owns): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

haljordan fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Feb 16, 2011

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i just slid into my desk chair headfirst

I'm getting dirt all over my business casual clothing.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mornacale posted:

BYU is terrible, discussion over.

Try being from the same area as Jimmer Fredette. I hope he gets hit by a meteor in the off-season. If he makes it as an NBA player I will probably have to kill myself to escape the news coverage.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

quote:

Boys are a problem that's whittling away at the fabric of field hockey in Massachusetts, New York and Pennsylvania. "Playing with boys is awful!" one girl wrote on an Internet field hockey site. "When you win, people think it's only because of the boys on your team. It's so defeating."

Well, based on this post from an internet field hockey site!!!, that guy is clearly in the wrong and is ruining the very fabric of the sport itself.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

BackInTheUSSR posted:

There are a few other sports journalists here, right? Has this profession made you hate sports as much as it has to me? When I started college I was this huge superfan homer and then I realized that everyone who goes to college for journalism is just doing it so they can watch their favorite teams in a press box and eat free food. Totally turned me off. I had some coworkers who got ejected from the press box for yelling at UCF's own players in anger. I enjoy writing about sports, but it's really hard for me to muster up any passion for sports anymore.

Do they offer courses on how to write articles dripping with :smug::smug::smug:?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

The biggest Key to the Game tonight is: score runs. You don't have to be a Tony LaRussa caliber genius to know that Roy Halladay and the Phillies offense are not to be trifled with. So the Marlins are gonna have to focus on scoring some runs to make sure they can put tonight in the W column.

The best thing that the Marlins can do to assure a victory is to wind up with a total number of runs equal to or greater than the Phillies. That is the key to everything. After that, its in God's hands.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

A drat FOG posted:

God can't change the results of baseball games, didn't you learn anything from Armando Galarraga's one-hitter?

Please. God was in deep to some Columbian bookies and made Jim Joyce blow that call. THEY WERE GONNA TAKE HIS THUMBS.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

So I guess we can add "attitude" and "stuff" to a checklist of what makes a good baseball player along with grit, heart, and intangibles?

Dirt on the uniform. NO ONE GETS INTO THE HALL OF FAME WITHOUT IT.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Rogue Elephant posted:

A professional writer wrote that. And got paid. And an editor let it slide.

When I read things like that, it only enforces my belief that people should be booed in non-sporting event situations.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

From Dan Shaughnessy's article on how much of an ayehole Frank McCourt is:

quote:

That was only the beginning. The Dodgers discovered Manny was a quitter and cheater (something we also could have warned them about). While the McCourts squabbled over the family "fortune," a Giants fan was almost beaten to death outside Dodger Stadium on Opening Day. McCourt received a $30 million personal loan from Fox in order to make April's payroll. This prompted Selig to announce that MLB intended to take over control of the team.

McCourt might be a horrible owner, but is there any real proof that ANYTHING he did/did not do lead to the Bryan Stow incident? Unless there's footage of him fleeing the scene wielding a steel pipe, seems like a useless thing to include in the article.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

toadee posted:

Also Manny wasn't a quitter, the whole thing is retarded, Dan Shaughnessy is a loving jackass and it angers me so loving much that every casual fan you work with or meet in a bar around here buys into his curse of the bambino/Manny's a quitter/Nomah didn't dirt dawg it like Jeter bullshit.

Show me one person who wouldn't want Manny in his prime on their team, "baggage" and all, and I'll show you a moron (Hint: its Dan Shaughnessy).

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Who cares if it's an arbitrary mark, it's fun. Utterly arbitrary things being enjoyable to watch is like 99% of sports.

Truth. I enjoy seeing on-screen graphics about the 5 players with the most home runs during a night game, following a day game played on the East Coast in which more than 1500 hot dogs were sold at the concessions stand.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

R.D. Mangles posted:

Grantland has a preview of Get Out of My Face, the Onion's take on the PTI/ATH/sportswriters yelling at each other genre. It's pretty funny and it's probably only about 5% more over the top than the actual shows.

Its just like when 30 Rock had "Sports Shouting." If anything, that show was LESS over the top than most of what's actually on TV.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

Remember kids: always, ALWAYS make sure that the microphone is off...

Well at least Young was smart enough to keep his mouth shut even though he was "off the record." Good for him.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

morestuff posted:

Jim Rome is leaving ESPN. Hooray!

Rack it!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mornacale posted:

Everyone, I'm going to let you all in on a little secret: most of the BBWAA writers make most of their decisions for purely emotional reasons, and then make post hoc rationalizations of who they do/don't want in. There is no rational process by which you can question that vote, because there was no rational process used to make it.

Similarly, I am increasingly convinced that Jack Morris's case is now almost entirely about nostalgia.

The fact that Cal Ripken Jr. didn't get 100% of the vote (I know, he got 98% but still) proves this.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

stimpy posted:

I don't know if I can handle Jim Rome during the NCAA tournament. Or anything else really, but especially the tournament.

Still can't believe that fucker makes a reported $30 mil/year off his radio show.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

leokitty posted:

This is a site for baseball columns, not for baseball blogs. The proprietor of the site is not a fan of blogs. He made that abundantly clear on a radio show with Charley Steiner when Steiner asked him what he thought of blogs and he replied, “I hate blogs.” He later heartily applauded Buzz Bissinger when the best-selling author denounced bloggers on a Bob Costas HBO show.

Bloggers, however, are welcome to visit this site; so are stats freaks, fantasy leaguers and Red Sox fans. How else will they know what is being said about them by a columnist they love to hate?

Otherwise, this site will most likely appeal primarily to older fans whose interest in good old baseball is largely ignored in this day of young bloggers who know it all, and new- fangled statistics (VORP, for one excuse-me example), which are drowning the game in numbers and making people forget that human beings, not numbers, play the games.

"Because trying to correlate performance with cold, hard mathematics...well that's just stupid. Now, here's my list of top ten players all time ranked by heart and grit!"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Mornacale posted:

This is what sportswriters Americans actually believe.

I'm not saying Sabermetrics is the Alpha & Omega in judging sports performances, but it'd be nice if someone could write a criticism that shows they actually know what any of those stats measure. Every time I hear a radio DJ or read a sportswriter's rant, they don't even bother. They just make dumb, punny jokes about VORP and poo poo.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

I'd sooner want people to have a general understanding of sample size and simple probability than like, VORP or wOBA. Not that VORP and wOBA don't own.

Well if the public actually thought about how much randomness factors into every single sporting event, then all those blowhards on TV might lose their jobs once people realize just how much bullshitting they do.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jan 18, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I find it humorous that Polian believed other organizations would run clandestine spy operations to learn the secrets of the Chiefs.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

At least its less creepy than those "Deadspin i-Team" articles.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

"Yes, the woman in whose apartment I tried on Brian Cashman's pajama pants Tuesday night..."

Hey AJ, I got a pair of Joe DiMaggio's slacks in my closet too. I swear they belong to him. Maybe you can write a piece on that too. I think at this point even TMZ has more credibility. Christ.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

The best part about this is you know Deadspin will soon publish yet another story ripping ESPN or some other major media outlet for running a "pointless" story. Then they'll play the "We're not a major media source!" card for the 10,00th time.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

stuart scott irl posted:

This is good. This is a good and correct thing they do.

Its kind of hard to take a stance on journalistic integrity when you have a regular feature called "How much is Oddibe McDowell's water bill this month?"

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

All I know is, if I had the same amount of money/ability to get away with ridiculous behavior that pro athletes did, I'd be dead inside a week. Probably from crashing my motorcycle into a brick wall while high on PCP and getting an HJ from a $5,000/night hooker. So I judge no man.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Devil Wears Pravda posted:

I actually worked with Louise (Lou-Lou, as she called herself on Facebook when we were Facebook friends) not too long ago. She was a complete headcase and dropped hints about how she was seeing the manager of the biggest sports team in the country. This was a girl who we knew was clownshit crazy right after she got hired. Funny enough, many of the people at our company have made the remark "This just made my day" when they heard the news.

She was universally despised, and she didn't last long before they tossed her out the door.

Did she do something ridiculous to get fired, or did they cook up an excuse just to get rid of her?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

And remember folks: That guy is a multi-millionaire!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

How much longer will old school journalists be able to get away with making GBS threads on the Internet? Its not like is an invention that just popped up last week. To me, it seems like people realize that more and more writers have a voice now and won't put up with the same trite garbage that's been filling columns for years.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the talent deficit posted:

I only half listened to the interview, but he gave the impression that he was tired of the grind more than anything. He talked about traveling with his wife and putting his time and energy into features and books. I don't think he was bashing twitter and blogs, just the attention it takes to be relevant in that format. The job used to have fairly set hours and convenient breaks for vacations, but now if you want to hold an audience, you have to work 24/7, 365 days a year.

Or just throw up some dong shots every once in a while apparently.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

You know he had two versions of the article written: One to blast James for not taking the shot and therefore not being a winner and one for if he had taken the shot and therefore being a selfish glory hound.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Yeah Lebron never takes the tough shots except for that playoff game for the Cavs when he hit the last like, 30 points.