Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

At first I liked Simmons's apology. Sure it was framed through his narcissistic approach to column writing but thats's how he's always expressed himself so I cant really fault him for that. After reading more of this thread, the deadspin piece and just talking to some people who are more insightful on the subject though I think his apology revealed a crucial misunderstanding which points out how such an institutional failure could occur.
Basically Simmons, and his editors, treats gender identification (both presently and historically) like any other journalistic fact, and therefore believes upon sound reporting, can be presented to the public without any moral issues. Journalist searches for fact-editor confirms fact-lawyers check if fact can get them sued-website prints fact. Of course the terrible error here is that a person's gender history/identity is not just an unproblematic fact on par with where the person went to school or worked. Instead, it's an exceptionally personal and private piece of information that can greatly alter a person's physical and mental wellbeing.

The idea that the author (and the editors) treated this piece of information as one of the many clues that revealed a larger deception/hoax is grossly offensive. It implies that a person living 'in the closet' or 'stealth' or whatever we wanna call it is doing it because they have something to hide, ignoring all the other reasons why a person doesn't feel comfortable/safe/etc running around telling everyone they used to identify differently.

It doesn't surprise me this happened in sports. Other areas of journalism frequently dont print facts that could put people at risk. It doesn't matter how important some information is to your story, you dont print stuff that could cause your subject harm. The idea that this author thought that outing a trans woman would not cause immediate mental and possibly physical harm is ludicrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't disagree with you but what is Simmons supposed to do? He's not making excuses, he's telling us what happened from their perspective. Gross ignorance is what happened. He's not trying to excuse it, he's telling us what actually happened. Yes, they should've known better than to do this, but they didn't. Whether they should or shouldn't have, they didn't and no amount of words in a Simmons apology crafted to suit detractors is going to do that, so just be honest, and he is. I guarantee there's not a person in that newsroom that doesn't understand how wrong they were right now.

His apology basically expresses how ignorant and insensitive they were. Thats fine. What I find problematic is basically in this sentence:

quote:

But even now, it’s hard for me to accept that Dr. V’s transgender status wasn’t part of this story.

This is something he needs to accept. It needs to be very easy for him to accept this. It needs to be super clear to him that a person changing how they (publicly) identify is not a necessary part of a story about a hoax.

BWV fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 21, 2014

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Personally, I'm looking forward to the Grantland mailbag where Bill honestly responds to the emails written in by angry transgender readers, but publishes each email with a name and hometown attached, followed by another column where he wonders why people are complaining.

This made me laugh so hard I think I hurt my ribs

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Geno posted:

whoa ESPN.com had a redesign, looks slick.

it is terrible. bloated. and requires you to sign in to prevent Texas Longhorn info from filling up your screen

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

certain sites/platforms benefit from personalization. ESPN is not one of them. It remains one of the few (maybe only) widely relied upon mainstream sports-media outlets. It should not become some facebook-like scroll-athon where I have to log in every time I want to get rid of Dallas Cowboy pop-ups or random tweets from the Golden State Warriors

what a loving mess

BWV fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 1, 2015

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

One of the better articles I've read in a while. It confirms many of the things Howard argued for in his last piece on Whitlock but the sheer amount of sources/documents on it makes it real excellent.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I don't think he's a talented writer. If he has a talent it is as provocateur, which in the world of 24 sports and ESPN is a lucrative one. But his writing is lame, tired, repetitive, and filled with inconsistencies.

Mostly he just says stuff that Colin Cowherd wishes he could say.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Brian Phillips, Charles Pierce, Louisa Thomas, and Wesley Morris are so fantastic and what they do. Greenwald and Papademas are quite excellent too, but there are few journalists/writers I enjoy reading more than those 4.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

bearic posted:

Yeah I loved his stuff, and he had some fascinating stories the last time he appeared. How the hell does that guy have inside info.

they collective dick of Lebron's crew has been deep in his mouth for over a decade.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It terms of being a Lebron whisperer Windhorst is excellent. And considering Lebron is one of the most important athletes in the world, that's a pretty useful job, However whenever he deviates from anything beyond what Lebron had for breakfast he's terrible.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I know Simmons is a baby and I find his writing at this point pretty unbearable but I loving love Grantland. I'm pissed he got pushed out and it's pretty clear ESPN hosed him over in this negotiation—the timing of this tells all
I worry about Grantland moving forward. Simmons' pubic persona and popularity allowed the site to take really interesting subjects that would never find a home on a Page2 like site.

I hope a memo from the NFL leaks that says they asked Skipper to get rid of him.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I worry about the content getting lost if ESPN absorbs the Grantland sportswriters. ESPN loves promoting reporters/gossip mongers and often buries good analysis if it can't trigger some First Take-like discussion.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Having everyone believe you are in negotiations with a company that offers the most access, clout, connections and money is a big bargaining ship when trying to solicit offers from other companies.
ESPN could've just sat tight and let Simmons look for a new employer—a new employer who would probably give him a great deal knowing they were competing against a place like ESPN.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I think people judged it highly because it was the new kid on the block of long-form/prestige journalism. Unlike other sources of content like theirs, Grantland didn't have a few decades of credibility to fall back on. That's also why that massive gently caress up on the trans/putter story was so damaging.
Since then I think they've done a lot to push against that, but I think that's mostly because they have such excellent writers that would never gently caress up like that. Brian Phillips, Charlie Pierce, and Wesley Morris ooze credibility and legitimacy. (Andrew Sharpe on the other hand sounds like he wants a job on first take)

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Andrew Sharp is a goofy 20-something that enjoys writing silly articles. He would be incredibly out of place on First Take because he actually understands how ridiculous sports are.

I liked his early fake "hot takes" but now it seems they are bleeding over into his non-parody work.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If Whitlock was funny, or had a reputation as someone who wasn't always "telling you what it is" he could've pulled off a joke like that. instead he just seems creepy.

quote:

BBWs — Big Booty Women — do not write me angry e-mails. I'm only knocking Serena's back pack because it's preventing her from reaching her full potential as an athletic icon. I am not fundamentally opposed to junk in the trunk, although my preference is a stuffed onion over an oozing pumpkin.

Right now I'd put on Serena on par with Paris Hilton. I know that's harsh. Serena's accomplishments are far more substantive than Hilton's. But Paris Hilton doesn't have one discernible skill (that I can publish in this column without earning it an R rating). Hilton's monumental overachievement is her accomplishment of becoming a celebrity.

Serena's greatest feat might be avoiding establishing herself as the greatest tennis player of all time.

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 11, 2015

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

they were probably referring to the fact gawker may be shut down

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

from what i understand the Hogan one seems like the real threat. The Conde Nast thing from last night while unethical and just mean is probably not going to result in any legal blowback IMO.
It does beg a question:

WHO WILL DEADSPIN THE DEADPSIN

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Simmons should bring on Artie Lang as his first guest.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

In retrospect you really have to think Whitlock must have poo poo all over multiple beds.

Out of all the places in the world ESPN is one of the most receptive and supportive home for bullshit respectability politics/status quo/shaking my head/etc attitudes read:paying black people to castigate black people . The fact he failed after all that effort on management's side only reveals how narcissistic and stupid the entire project was (see: the undefeated pdf.)

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

PFT Commenter is such a treasure

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/2/9210387/skip-bayless-first-take-pftcommenter

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Muddy Burphy posted:

The only sportswriter I go out of my way to read.

another gem

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/9/11/9301587/pft-commenter-meets-his-internet-dad-mike-florio

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

One day people will be amazed that Charlie Pierce, Brian Phillips and Wesley Morris all wrote for the same place. They will be amazed that the best NBA writer and the best NBA profiler of the era worked there too—especially when they learn the former had close to debilitating Aspergers.

This amazement will only grow, however, when they realize the same place also employed Bill Barnwell and serial medium-taker Andrew Sharpe.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

Andrew Sharp gave us #HotSportsTakes, though.

(Why haven't we seen one of those in a long time? Lord knows there's stuff he could write about.)

i think because he began trying to write more seriously and they started to resemble his parody articles.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

C. Everett Koop posted:

Dylan may have written All Along the Watchtower, but it's a Hendrix song.

PFTC is both the hero we need and deserve.

the latest piece on attending the CNN Republican debate was a master class. Guy owns so hard.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/17/9341799/donald-trump-is-bigger-than-the-gop

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I enjoy most of the writers on Deadspin. I don't expect them to provide panaceas for the numerous plagues that infect sports media. I'm content with having a website full of decent to good writers that call out ESPN for all their BS.

I think the Whitlock stuff growing into a larger critique of ESPN and the politics of apolitics was pretty good, and in many ways built upon previous work done by Klosterman and Pierce on grantland.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

that was the dumbest loving article. I stopped reading 4 times and gave up copying sections to post here because each paragraph was more cringe worthy than the last.
His basic thesis is that sports is super important, journalism, as envisioned by Whitlock, will save America, deadspin is stupid, blacks should stop listening to an atheist like Coates and get back to their religious roots.

OK, I caved and copied this one sentence. It basically sums up Whitlock's entire understanding of race.

quote:

Enslavers gave us Christianity for purposes of salvation, mostly theirs but ours as well. We converted it to a source of hope, an ingredient as essential to human survival and evolution as water and air.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Grantland was awesome and all the negative stuff people bitch about was grossly overshadowed by the fact they published a legitimately amazing writer everyday. They let Brian Phillips write about dog sleds and sumo and Wesley Morris cover WNBA draft fashion. They assembled the best NBA coverage I could possibly imagine with Lowe, Abrahms, Goldsberry, and network for the lols. The variety found in the numerous "shoot around" during the playoffs was some of my favourite content. I probably checked the site three times daily.
People can bitch about Barnwell and Sharp and Greenwald but Grantland consistently owned and I will miss it dearly.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I tend to believe most stuff Howard writes but the entire "Simmons required them to blindside ESPN" info is from a single source, one employed by ESPN. At this point both sides are probably leaking smut like crazy.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

People are underestimating how hard John Skipper and co. get when they can redistribute money from Charlie Pierce to Skip Bayless.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Big picture this makes sense for ESPN. And here is some admittedly speculative analysis :
Quality and thorough sports writing with a concern for Pop culture inevitably leads to discussions (regarding politics, race, gender/sexuality, etc) that ESPN would prefer to avoid. ESPN wants to get as many viewers as possible and make its corporate and league partners as happy as possible. Having a site of smart people given carte Blanche to write about sports and culture will inevitably lead to criticism that upsets these two core constituencies

I'm not saying at all that this is what caused grantland to end. But somewhere down the line Grantland's interest (and really any editorial project like outside the lines) in employing good writers was going to rub up against ESPNs desire to showcase morons and please corporate/league partners. And in their opinion no project, especially one that doesn't make any money, is worth causing these conflicts.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Jason Whitlock was never anything else than a self centred blow hard. Mentioning his name and journalism in the same city is generous.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

If former grantland employees felt screwed over shouldn't their blame go to the employer who could prevent all of this by signing their employees to actual contracts? I despise the idea that people who work for lovely employers are loving over their coworkers for things the company could easily account for by agreeing to more decent terms.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

players tribune is terrible. It's like reading Pau Gasol's twitter feed.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Terry Bolea said he didn't consent. But hulk hogan is a public figure who is filmed everywhere. Terry Bolea said he doesn't really know when he's hogan or terry.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Metapod posted:

Lmao that can't be the real defense

He also said had he known he was being filmed he would've done a better job sexing

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Klosterman exerpt is cool. It's building (if not very similar) off of his article about the same thing for Grantland. I imagine a bunch of his essays for this new book will probably do the same.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

ego symphonic posted:

While I agree with the general idea that parents will start holding their kids out of football over well-founded concerns about their health this part is a pretty big stretch. Teenagers, especially the great big strong ones, will probably always love football because they think they're invincible and its one of the few avenues in life where you can run around crashing into other people. What gets lost in a lot of these discussions is the fact that football is just really drat fun to play and plenty of people of a variety of political persuasions will find a way to rationalize away the health risks because they enjoy doing it so much.

I think this might be true in terms of playing the game for a few years in high school but I think the health risks and stigmas that come with it will eventually push these people from pursuing it beyond that. Like Chuck said, this will be based on class and region.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I've been listening to lebatard show for 10 years. It's ruined regular espn programming for me. So much better than the typical garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I can't believe this is real. But maybe I'm just a cynical cyber-human who is out of touch with the real anyway