Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Category:White_athletes_whose_names_don%27t_sound_white

Update with more similar guys (Willits is already on there and I think was the first one on there)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I thought this was originally in this thread but it was in the NFL N/V thread. Definitely deserves to be here though:

"Are NFL Head Coaches Benching Black QBs Faster Than White QBs?"
(thanks japtor)

Chock full of amazing sports journalism and scientific resesarch.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Wow Peter King my mind is totally blown :suicide:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

That's a really solid article.

No one can convince me that Randall Cunningham wasn't the greatest quarterback of all time, I know what I saw.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

"The nerds are winning. They’re stealing the game from those of us who enjoy examining the gray areas of sports. We’re about 10 years away from a computer program that will write stats-based opinion pieces on sports."

Please please please let this happen.

We're 0 years away from such a program

Okay, so it's not an opinion piece (which is obviously a huge technological leap), but it basically ingests stats and creates a halfway-decent-if-not-still-somewhat-boilerplate-looking article.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I might go from "Never read Deadspin" to "Occasionally reads Deadspin" so yeah that's an upgrade :v:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

SWITCH HITLER posted:

"Concepcion was the Ozzie Smith of his day"

well that would be all fine and good except that their careers overlapped by 11 years

And even ignoring that, no he wasn't.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Cross-posted from the gif thread, but I just don't get why anybody would bother putting these words on paper even for an op-ed piece:

City of Atlanta doesn't deserve win

I guess Rob Parker's job is to be ESPN NY's crazy militant homer guy?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BackInTheUSSR posted:

if he's going strictly by attendance to prove his point, how are miami and tampa not by far the worst? The Braves were in the upper 50th percentile in both years shown and it was important enough in his story to get the lead photo caption.

Yeah I don't get why being average to above average in attendance for most things qualifies them as "the worst sports town"

quote:

Without question, Atlanta is the worst sports town in America.

If the New York Yankees are the standard for excellence in baseball, Atlanta is the epitome of the bottom of the barrel when it comes to fan support.

quote:

Your typical Atlanta fan -- who is probably from another city since so few are actually from ATL -- will be preoccupied with something else. They might not even be sure what time the game is on.

In fact, at some point, they might ask a friend -- filled with sweet tea -- at a pork-saturated barbeque, "Are the Falcons playing today?"

But it's Atlanta, known as Hotlanta.

It's not for their passion when it comes to sports, just the weather. Oh yes, it gets hot down there.

quote:

The NHL wanted to believe Atlanta is a major-league city, a city that could support all four major sports. But it can't. Atlanta is now the first city in the NHL's modern history to lose two hockey teams. So sad.

That's why it would be a waste for the NFL gods to allow the city of Atlanta to lukewarmly enjoy a postseason win.

The city and its lame fans simply don't deserve it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Our favorite old baseball writer reveals why he didn't vote for as many names on the Hall of Fame ballot every year as he could have:

I can't help but read this with your avatar reading the Murray Chass part out loud in my head

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Bats

Jesus christ how did I forget about bats

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

toadee posted:

Albert Pujols is literally not even on the list. I don't even know what is happening in this world.

It is "bargain signings" so it's tough to put super-rich contracts on there

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tae posted:

You know that Prince Fielder is there, right?

On the "for player" part, which doesn't make any sense for a "bargain" list anyway

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

https://twitter.com/#!/JoseCanseco/status/171799945173667840

He did it again, in case you missed it

oh my god yes

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

bats

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

as if I needed another reason not to read TFF

It reeks of Stockholm Syndrome to me more than anything.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Now former C-list columnist

quote:

Update, 6 p.m.: Sarah Phillips has been let go by ESPN. An ESPN spokesman just told me: "We've ended our freelance relationship with her."

edit: and her latest twitter post is

@SarahPhilli posted:

:(
https://twitter.com/#!/SarahPhilli/status/197443321092784128

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Toffile posted:

I guess technically Jim Rome is a journalist.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/201...ting-your-wife/

The "have you stopped beating your wife?" is somewhat of a classical example of a yes or no question that cannot be answered with a yes or no (assuming you've never beaten your wife).

The correct (nerdy) answer is "mu".

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Medical Sword posted:

He literally didn't understand Cuban's point about Skip Bayless's opinions not being the same thing as facts

"That's all I use on this program"

Skip is gifted in that he possesses the ability to fool himself into believing himself.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Unsurprisingly Jon Heyman managed to cram several bad opinions into one article

quote:

To summarize, Cueto has won no World Series and caused one Cardinals concussion. What should he expect?

It's like the worst incarnation of the "lol rings" argument ever, in use to decide who plays in a largely pointless game anyway.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

If she was being raped then the dude in the video should've been arrested for rape, which obviously did not happen.

ergo she wasn't being raped? :confused:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

How could they not pepper in a "quite frankly" in there? Come on Onion. Peeps got to do better.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The broken bones posted:

Jeff Pearlman still struggling to get goatse out of his head

c'mon tubgirl would have been a much better fit

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

How Biased Is Your Announcer?

Nobody will ever guess who is #1

Though frankly the criteria they choose for deciding "homers" is pretty silly. Referring to a player by his nickname?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

Is this true though? This is from Posnanski who's been known to make mistakes, but he's got the Angels as being amazing after calling him up:

They were 6-14:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAA/2012-schedule-scores.shtml

Trout's first game this year was the Angels' 21st team game:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=troutmi01&t=b&year=2012

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Edit: apparently Benne posted this in NFL Week 14 N/V. Didnt check that thread first.

It certainly belongs here and not everyone reads all the weekly N/V threads, so keep posting in the relevant non-N/V threads

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Toffile posted:

Up until we discover that Te'o is homosexual and he created the narrative to help keep a relationship from a homophobic culture.

The most plausible explanation for this convoluted deception, sadly

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Speaking of Deadspin, maybe it's just me but I found this pretty entertaining.

No, that is actually incredibly entertaining, and I love that they actually went through the process of interviewing folks involved with the show to figure out how it came to be what it was.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The_Hat posted:

The comments on the Lueke article unanimously blast the author, temporarily restoring my faith in humanity

edit: Top 2 comments:

Thus marking the first time in the history of the internet that comments on internet content restored faith in humanity instead of doing quite the opposite.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Chilly McFreeze posted:

You thought that was Dave Cameron adding up the WARs? No, no. This is Dave Cameron adding up the WARs.

Huh, I was all prepared to be :smugdog: when the projected wins didn't add up to the right number but they actually do. I'm guessing he normalized it so that they would, since the definition of WAR doesn't really ensure that happening.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The B_36 posted:

It was a great piece, but I don't see the connection to Sports Journalism...?

The post right above it was about a Texas Monthly article which was re-published on Deadspin

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Akileese posted:

Just in case you didn't want Jon Heyman to be struck by a bus yet I present to you this flaming bag of dogshit.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/j...campaign=Buffer

I was going to respond with a bunch of quotes of the worst parts but then I realized I'd be quoting 95% of the article. It's all the worst parts. gently caress this article in every way, jesus.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

chunkles posted:

So ESPN is adding Nate Silver, any thoughts? I'm vaguely familiar with him but have no real opinion.

Good with putting numbers together, sometimes good at interpreting the meaning of them. That's kind of it.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Fire Nate Silver and bring back The Schwab :mad:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

AceFace905 posted:

Equally hilarious when you figure that the only teams MLS have ever contracted were both from Florida :v:

San Jose did temporarily lose their team though via relocation. But then within a few years they got their team back.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mornacale posted:

Mike Vanderjagt, you say?

http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Mike_Vanderjagt

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Holy poo poo, PFTCommenter is killing it.

PFTCommenter posted:

no offence but who didnt see it coming that the Indian guy woud go back on his own word

So perfect that I almost assume he pulled that from an actual PFT comment.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

FairGame posted:

I don't know what the policy is for posting content behind ESPN's Insider paywall,

We used to have a whole thread dedicated to nothing but "here's an insider only article, give me the full text" which has since gone away.

That said, your link is fine, since non-insiders will not see the content.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

In monetary terms they're pretty legitimate given that an upcoming annual international Dota 2 tournament just beat it's own previous record prize pool of almost ~$11M and may surpass $15M or more (it's mostly crowdfunded from in-game purchases and there's still almost two months to the tournament), which puts it well ahead of all the major golf chamiponships (~$9-10M each).

Whether or not they constitute a sport is a different story, but ESPN has televised poker forever and even random poo poo like cup stacking so...

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Has Cuban actually succeeded at anything besides "cashing out before the bubble burst"?

HBO basically skewered Cuban with this character from Silicon Valley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IARfrdvIIMU

It's spot-the-gently caress-on

e: there's lots more than just that and you should watch the show it's really good