Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Gift is like the black Reggie Willits.

This is really funny to me because I assumed Reggie Willits was black for the longest time before I actually saw him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Eggs posted:

Ah yeah, forgot that pitchers used to go the whole game back then. But still, you'd think in the year 2010 a major sport like baseball would want to move past the old era and try to modernize a little bit more than they have. Or maybe I'm just being too idealistic.

With sports I don't think there's really any impetus for "modernizing" the game itself, outside of modern technology and distractions at the venues. The point of sports is pretty basic and they've been around as long as civilization has. Coming around to advanced analysis is going to be a gradual, cultural process if anything. In the meantime, baseball would be pretty awesome even if we were all dumb and computers didn't exist so it's all good!!

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

MassRayPer posted:

Are there any sane, rational critiques of SABRmetrics? I don't mean debunking but just taking a critical look at it. I've had some minor complaints ever since I took quantitative analysis classes so I'm curious if there is a good article that looks at stuff like that.

Sabermetrics is such a broad field of analysis/study that I don't know if there is such a thing as a rational critique of it because basically what it means is finding newer and better ways to quantify baseball skill and performance. The metrics themselves aren't perfect but the whole point is to keep making them better than what we had before.

There are lots of critiques of individual metrics (like WAR or VORP or whatever) I'm sure you could find, maybe some other posters have links.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I think Will Carroll is probably the kind of human being who is so completely loving dumb and removed from reality as to believe that those kind of statements about a person are endearing to her as a woman rather than sexist and degrading.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Any article that tells fans how they "should" enjoy the game is loving stupid by default.

quote:

I’m not rejecting facts, just the inability to tell a story, see beyond a spreadsheet, or acknowledge that other people have some things to teach me,
There is absolutely no merit in this. "Straw man" is a term that gets used and abused in goony ways sometimes but this is basically the definition of it. He is making up people in his head and deciding that they are a representative majority of people who do not think like he does.

Medical Sword fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 11, 2010

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
And furthermore, even if there were some overwhelming majority of people who were totally disinterested in the mystique and aura of baseball (there isn't), who loving cares? Who is Will Carroll to tell those people that what they enjoy is wrong?? If he's not disputing the legitimacy of the stats, what is his point about anything at all. Even granting him the straw man, what he's saying is stupid.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
It's not a matter of being Offended As A Stathead so much as not having any idea what point he is trying to make. He claims his point isn't "stats are wrong and bad." Ok, what is his point? He says he's "rejecting being unable to look past a spreadsheet." He can reject whatever he wants, whether it's a real thing or not, but why is he writing an article about it? Did someone walk up to him and say "you know, Will Carroll, setting statistics aside completely, you're quite wrong to enjoy the narrative of baseball, please stop?" Does he actually think that's a thing, a real movement, or is he being a lazy/disingenuous shithead and writing populist drivel?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
That article should have ended here:

quote:

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Jeff Francoeur was asked Monday what he brings to this Rangers team.

"Well, a nice beard for one, I'll tell you that," Francoeur said. "So-so beard? All right."

The truth is: That's exactly what he brings

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Politicalrancor posted:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2010/10/14/2010-10-14_sad_lil_home_on_the_range.html

the absolute worst "Kiss Da Ringzz" bullshit.

Haha oh my god, this is so great it might be a troll.

quote:

The Rangers have retired exactly one player's jersey (aside from Jackie Robinson's) and attempted to counter George M. Steinbrenner with George W. Bush in the owner's box.
Yes, the franchise "countered" Steinbrenner by being owned by another guy with the same first name. :psyduck:

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
phillies still not in on lee? not true, although they might try not to hesitate to enter the talks if signing him doesn't remain a possibility, which it's not. look for an announcement by before this weekday. #justinbieber

mystery team may add a second year if seventh year option is too short to avoid an extension. texas? thoughts? #freddiemercury #liveaid

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
how will lee signing affect AL east leverage w/canseco, who has lifetime .692 against francoeur? might affect #beltre deal if cashman budges. wrigley? #sweetarts

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Haha that list owns because it makes no sense to either of the two typical sides to the argument

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I love when people with lovely reasoning have really strong convictions because they just go on and on trying to justify their arguments and they just talk themselves into corners and then do these bizarre hat tricks to pull more poo poo out of their asses and the entire article becomes word salad.

Dominance is more than being an above-average, or even below-average player. It takes a certain level of play that goes beyond playing at that level and beyond the attitude it takes to make it without that level. 500 HRs used to be a thing of the past, but when players like Roberto Alomar are retiring with 2500 hits, that tells you that the game has changed and the standards for elite play are more than what we used to think they weren't. That's why I'm voting Carlos Baerga: Because not only does he exemplify those abilities, he dominates them.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I honestly don't see the players as having any obligation toward fans beyond basic courtesy like not spitting chew at them or calling them faglords. They're people doing jobs like anyone else and saying they "owe their paychecks to the fans" or whatever reeks of obnoxious entitlement issues. I dunno if there's more to it than being gruff and not signing autographs but if that's all it is then a bloo bloo bloo indeed

Maybe if children are getting :qq: about not getting autographs it's the fault of a society that unnecessarily idolizes sports figures and not the fault of a dude who likes to hit base balls.

This isn't to say it's not nice to go the extra mile but it's unfair to say he's in a lower tier as a person or whatever just because he doesn't.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Is the dude's twitter advertised or sponsored in an official capacity by his employer?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I think that's stupid. It's no different than if he had a conversation with someone, brought up what he does for work, and then mentioned an opinion. It's not necessary to make that kind of concession for the sake of people who are too stupid to discern opinions which represent the journalistic standards of a publication and opinions that are just a dude talking about things.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah, he really reaches the Glenn Beck level of "I want to punch this guy through my radio/TV".

I hope this column goes national, I don't think anyone outside of Pittsburgh cared about his racist remarks about the football coach.

Glenn Beck is insane and deluded but I don't recall him ever blaming the victim of a horrific violent crime for what happened to them (though to be fair it's not like I watch him regularly)

I'm not whiteknighting Beck, just highlighting the depths of awfulness that article reached.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I skimmed it and was like "yeah, that's real bad" but when I actually went back and read every single line I just started laughing uncontrollably.

quote:

And your Montreal Canadiens certainly weren’t the Bruins’ enslaved, pyramid-building bitches.

quote:

Tell me that wasn’t a just-but-vengeful G-d pounding some serious karma up Boston’s butt.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Hahahaha "it really is a world-wide web." Christ that poo poo makes me angry but I'm not going to bother commenting because even if he responded somehow (he won't) it would just make me more angry and depressed and I would be reduced to making more limpdicked tweetjokes about him.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I've been ironically supporting the "move the Dodgers back to Brooklyn and contract the Mets" cause for years now, surprised that someone ripped me off

You should call his mom

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

cereal eater posted:

(Guys are better at writing sports columns IMHO)

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I'm not saying rape is justified, but a woman should know better than to write a column about sports while wearing a Giants jersey at Dodger Stadium.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

cereal eater posted:

You guys have no sense of humor, jeeze. I know the Washington post has a great history of female sports writers, like Rachel Nichols, and Shirley Povich, one of the Great female sports editors of all time.

You should probably reread your post and explain how anyone could have assumed you were joking since many people believe without irony what you wrote

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Ace Jameson posted:

If he thinks men write better sports columns than women, it doesn't make him a misogynist. He's entitled to his opinion; it's not like he said they shouldn't be allowed to write them.

Enlighten me, what characteristic of being a woman could make it harder to write a sports column? Is it the clit?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Ace Jameson posted:

I don't know? I never said I agreed with him.

You defended what he said as "not sexist" so I assumed you would be able to come up with some way for his opinion to make sense without being sexist.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Not being allowed into locker rooms at major sporting events

That's a good observation but I'm not sure I buy that anyone is reading sports columns by women, thinking "man, this broad would really have something if she just had some locker room anecdotes to throw in there."

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Groucho Marxist posted:

I was trying to reference the whole Masters thing that happened and how lovely it was.

I didn't think you were arguing with me but I did think it was actually a good observation regardless.

Ace Jameson posted:

No, I said his statement about preferring male sports columnists to female sports columnists doesn't automatically make him a misogynist, because it doesn't. It may very well be sexist, depending on what it is rooted in.

Then I am utterly confused since you are the first person to use the word misogynist in this conversation. No one said to him "you are a misogynist" but I'm pretty sure when he posted that everyone thought it was a sexist thing to say. Anyway if there's no argument here I'm just going to drop it, but I still find it bizarre that you're trying to defend a sexist comment.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

euphronius posted:

Bonds is in trouble for lying to a Grand Jury, not Congress.

So Bonds didn't cheat. God drat I hate overly moralizing sports writers.

Edit

Well I guess he was cheating because they were "illegal".

Oddly enough I had this exact conversation on another forum the other day about what constituted "cheating." My view was that cheating at baseball is violating baseball's rulebook, since MLB as an organization can have rules of conduct that don't apply to the game itself.

(this should probably be moved to the Bonds/steroids thread though)

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

balancedbias posted:

He mentions that a woman is doing all of the things that are available to her because much of it is available in the free market (and brings up corn syrup of all things in the rant) then tries a slight quip at voting Republican?

I...just... :psypop:

High fructose corn syrup and epidemic obesity are actually connected concepts in American culture to be fair.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

haljordan posted:

The best thing that the Marlins can do to assure a victory is to wind up with a total number of runs equal to or greater than the Phillies. That is the key to everything. After that, its in God's hands.

God can't change the results of baseball games, didn't you learn anything from Armando Galarraga's one-hitter?

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
I hate when things like that Mariotti jazz surface, it makes guys less fun to hate and more plain old sad and disturbing.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

morestuff posted:

Just to be clear, I don't think it was intentional. But I'd personally avoid using "nips" in any context referring to an asian man.

I see where you're coming from but it's kind of a stretch. It's not like some dude using the word "niggardly" for no reason, people say "nip" in real life. I'd probably avoid it too if it came to mind but honestly I wouldn't have made the connection if you hadn't pointed it out. Just an unfortunate coincidence if anything.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Orgophlax posted:

God drat Deadspin really loving hates Grandland/Simmons. http://deadspin.com/5813690/introducing-the-grantland-comments-and-corrections-desk

Hmm I wonder why deadspin would hate grantland.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

AlleyViper posted:

You know what makes a great piece of writing? When you give a run down of your own best tweets from the day.

This person

looked at this tweet

@CaminoTribe Orlando Cabrera's HR off J.J. Putz shows again why you don't bring closer into a non-save. I get reasoning, but the mentality is different.

and decided it was so brilliant that he had to make sure it reached every nook and cranny of his audience

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
Yes, he would miss the point of the game. the correct way to like baseball is THIS way, not THAT way. If you like this thing instead of that thing, you're wrong and the terrorists win. Also it's impossible to like two things.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

God, I hate that last bit.

Player X approaches extremely rare milestone - "He's almost there, good for him :unsmith:"

Yankee approaches extremely rare milestone - "OH MY GOD WE'LL NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT :qq:"

e: i mean, it's true but come on this is a pretty cool thing happening

There is literally nothing cool or interesting about a boring rear end dude reaching an arbitrary round number of a marginally meaningful counting stat, it's not about gently caress da Yankees because I like the Yankees it's just really not interesting at all.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

morestuff posted:

There's nothing interesting at all about sports, it's just boring rear end dudes hitting arbitrary round balls

I don't see your point. DRTP basically accused people of having double standards about 3000 hits, I'm just saying in my opinion 3000 hits is a pretty dumb thing in general and the icing on the cake is that Jeter is a boring guy who I don't care about. The complaint was silly, especially since you can't compare the media coverage of "player X" to the media coverage of Derek Jeter.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

morestuff posted:

First, I read your original comment as mainly a response to him saying that "a cool thing is happening."

Second, what is OK to get excited about? It's fine to not care about it personally, but saying there's "literally nothing cool or interesting" about Jeter's accomplishment just sounds like you're being jaded for no reason.

In the grand scheme of things, Jeter hitting 3000 doesn't really mean anything. But someone getting excited about an arbitrary number does make some sense, as it's more or less all that sports is about.

I didn't say anything about what people are allowed to get excited about, on the contrary, DRTP was pretty much telling other people what they're allowed to NOT get excited about, and you saying I'm being "jaded for no reason" is pretty much the same thing. When I say there is nothing cool or interesting about it I'm saying that's my opinion, that should be pretty obvious, or do I have to put a disclaimer every time I post an opinion saying "You are entitled to disagree with me, please do not be offended by my disagreeing with you :shobon:"

Anyway I think it's loving dumb to debate whether it's okay to like or dislike derek jeter or his accomplishment for reason X Y or Z, it's legit to be annoyed by it and it's legit to be excited by it, I don't see why this has to turn into like "you're just being a cynical Yankee hater/spoiled Yankee fan" or whatever. Geez

Medical Sword fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 9, 2011

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

BackInTheUSSR posted:

This Jeter thing sucks is because the ESPN coverage is AS PREVALENT AS A PICKPOCKET AT A ROLEX CONVENTION.

Thats pretty prevalent

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Orgophlax posted:

His point wasn't that his WAR number was wrong, it's that it's pointless to use to determine worth. There's no way with Ross Gload in the lineup everyday rather than Howard the Phillies would be close to the record they have now.

I'm not sure you understand how easy it is to find someone who can hit and play first base. You have to reevaluate your standards for a bat based on position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
He's also right about the AL central