Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Mike Alden, supergenius.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Jason Whitlock is in the midst of a live radio meltdown about how he is quitting/getting fired/who the gently caress knows.

http://player.streamtheworld.com/_players/entercom/player/?id=KCSP

:munch:

From what I've heard he basically spent the first hour ripping everyone in the area media and accused his editor of screwing her way into her position. I hope Fox fires his rear end for being completely unprofessional about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

MorningView posted:

I didn't even notice the part where the hockey preview was an afterthought to all the bullshit, that actually kinda redeems the whole thing to me.

I'd rather read a real issue where ESPN praises Boston for being the best sports city ever.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Moose Bigelow posted:

Another Moneyball is stupid article from Mr. Oozing pumpkin. I'm pasting it so you don't give him the hits he wants.

Statistics and numbers are for nerds :allears:. Now it just needs some sentences on how intangibles are more important than anything even though you can't define them.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

:ughh:

Hope he's got good unemployment LINsurance!

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

hcreight posted:

Today Deadspin is headlining with an unnecessary hit piece about Erin Andrews's apparently crumbling career prospects, complete with quotes from anonymous TV executives and anecdotes about how they don't let her on Good Morning America anymore because she mispronounced Buffalo Bills and made a couple other flubs. Glad to see their misogynistic obsession with every blonde female ESPN employee didn't leave with Daulerio. :ughh:

That could also be an ABC exec trying to gain leverage in negotiating her contract.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Jeff Pearlman wrote some terrible article slamming 5k's for whatever reason. then got ripped for it and deleted it. Forunately everyone finds him to be an rear end in a top hat http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2012/06/this-week-in-f-k-you-jeff-pearlman-10k-purist.html , http://www.stridenation.com/2012/6/25/3116507/jeff-pearlman-hates-5k-races .

quote:

It took place at the Meadowlands. Everyone ran three miles around the facility, then entered the stadium and finished by crossing the goal line. It was cool and neat and swell, and we all enjoyed the experience (save for the fact that it felt like 95 degrees, and we were trudging through a parking lot).

That said, I hate the 5k. I really do.

Not only did he have a terrible opinion but he's so spineless that he can't take the backlash.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

midwat posted:

Make racist statements on air? One month suspension.

Imply ESPN is imperfect in any way? That's a firin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZEGv7RtfCI

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

On the subject of people worth disliking, Jeff Pearlman hates super bowl parties.

Insert your own jokes here.

I guess that's one way to justify not being invited to anyone's Superbowl party. Probably for the best, he'd just end up insulting some girl that just ran her first 5k or something.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

uublog posted:

double post but oh my god that isn't even the worst thing you'll read today

The worst think you'll read today would be courtesy of Jason Whitlock who is "devastated" to be rejected for an award that he is ineligible to win in the first place. Here's some fun quotes:

(links edited out, obvs, but I wanted to highlight what he thinks to be his greatest work)

I don't really have a coherent response, just a lot of :psyboom:, so in closing, gently caress YOU JASON WHITLOCK

(H/T Drew Magary)

He doesn't even report, he just gives his dumb opinions. And he made a huge fuss about office politics about the last paper he worked at and accused his boss of loving her boss in an "exit interview" on one of the sports talk stations.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Does podcast stuff count here? Because Baseball Today with Eric Karabell and (usually) Keith Law is over. It was really good, and they were really great at addressing advanced stats and they had a lot of insight.

It was replaced with Buster Olney and the Baseball Tonight Podcast. The first one featured him talking about his childhood and a like 5 minute story about how Deion Sanders called him a loser once.

loving A. What a difference.

So it's going to be Buster Olney and probably Tim Kurjikan rambling for about 30 minutes now? You'd think ESPN of all media companies would be able to line up some interesting former players or coaches to do some podcasts for them. Hell, if Herm Edwards did their NFL podcast I'd listen everyday.

Hahaha. Why the hell was he criticizing him for playing two sports in a day to begin with? Isn't that the kind of stuff analysts love to go on about?

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

leokitty posted:

When I think "voices totally suited for podcasting and radio" I think Tim Kurkijan!

quote:

Buster Olney ‏@Buster_ESPN
Today's podcast is posted. http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8947346 … Tim Kurkjian and I talk about a manager under pressure; the Uptons; and Mariano Rivera.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

haljordan posted:

Fire Jay Mariotti blasted Bill Simmons again for his idiotic Ewing Theory (he was trying to apply it to the Celtics and Rajon Rando this time).

Someone please explain this to me. The Ewing Theory states that the Knicks somehow performed better without Ewing. And yet:
Number of Knicks titles while Ewing was on the team (including when he was injured): 0
Number of Knicks titles after Ewing left: 0

God you're a hack Simmons.

His podcast is alright with the right guest, but he is awful on NBA countdown.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Congrats ESPN, you just drove up page hits to Grantland and probably put a few more eyeballs on First Take for a few days. Plus it's probably best that Simmons wasn't allowed to have a public meltdown about the Pats Free Agency.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

He watched Jaguars vs Rams for his job? That sounds like something Mike Rowe needs to do a show on.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

How does exposing a con artist make Grantland responsible? Everything that Dr. V said to him was classic con artist manipulative bullshit and when she couldn't talk her way out of it she chose to kill herself rather than face potential jail time for the fraud.

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

Crion posted:

Speaking as a journalist: hahahaha gently caress you

Just read the paragraph about the claims Dr. V made. Designed bluetooth, was a Vanderbilt, friend of the Hiltons, and would immediately start bullying people for disagreeing with her. That's the kind of sociopath stuff con artists pull and none of it's true.

quote:

Kinney had heard his own share of incredible claims. Dr. V had told him that she was a $1,000-an-hour consultant. She said she was one of the original designers of Bluetooth technology. She even suggested that her status as a Vanderbilt provided access to some exclusive company who could help Yar’s business. Kinney said Dr. V told him she was good friends with the Hilton family, and that the relationship would pay off in the form of putters sold at their hotels. Kinney also recalled a trip he had taken to Arizona where, in Dr. V’s house, she had shown him a computer that she said mirrored the one in Phoenix’s airport traffic control tower.

For all her wild stories, though, what Dr. V was most, Kinney said, was a difficult person to deal with. “She would just explode. If you’re disagreeing with her while she had one of her headaches, you were in trouble.”

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

It wouldn't have been an issue if there weren't outrageous claims of having degrees from Penn and MIT, along with work on bluetooth and the stealth bomber. Changing a persons gender and name doesn't change everything else about their past. If "Dr" V. hadn't been making any of those claims none of that would be relevant.

Edit: I am focused mostly on the con artist part because I've seen how they work and how they destroy peoples lives. Con artists are worthless, lazy, and manipulative assholes that would tell you anything you wanted to hear to get your $5 out of your pocket. I don't think transgendered people that are trying to live their lives should be outed, but in this case it's unavoidable and entirely "Dr" V's fault.

St1cky fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 20, 2014

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

You can mention the other stuff without outing the person, and not wanting to out yourself as transgendered is not a con.

I disagree with the first part, but I agree with the second. This is a con-artist who happens to be transgendered. In this case you have to expose everything so there isn't any room to explain stuff away. The more that's exposed the better. And she would've ended up outing herself if she thought it'd benefit her anyways. I know it sounds callous, but this is a person that compulsively uses people as a means to an end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St1cky
Aug 16, 2005

MourningView posted:

st1cky did you give your bank account number to a Nigerian prince y/n

Yes, and I'm still waiting on the check :( . I actually know someone that scammed his own in-laws, children, and complete strangers by stealing their identity. He did some absolutely insane stuff to control and manipulate people, and a few of his "stories" involved made up stuff involving me, hence why I'm not exactly sympathetic towards con artists. He finally got caught but he still denies he's responsible. The reporter should have immediately gone to the police or feds to let them know that she was lying about having worked on a top secret project and defrauding investors in the company. That might have saved her from taking her own life.