Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Crazy Ted posted:

Of course he made the mistake of thinking that deleting his Twitter account would magically make it look like he never said any of the things he said.

The report I read said that the paper ordered Cowley to delete his Twitter, not that it was his decision. Not that this makes him any less of an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I don't see Mushnick getting fired over this. He's been pretty consistent in his dislike of hip-hop culture for years now, often using the same kind of language. I enjoy Mushnick's columns, because he hates everyone and everything.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
It most certainly is.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
WFAN is staying on 660, 101.9 is going to be a simulcast of the AM station. I can see eventually them flipping 660 to something else, but they cut their signal to a huge degree if they go strictly to FM. You can pick up the FAN in Florida, for god's sake.

That said, nothing changes immediately for baseball. The Yankees are signed on with WCBS and the Mets on the FAN through the end of next year. ESPN is hell bent on getting one of the teams, and if I had to guess, I'd think it's more likely they end up with the Mets. If CBS can only hold on to one, they'll go with the Yankees. That said, I can't see CBS losing either of them without a fight-they've got plenty of money and plenty of stations to put them on.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure SNY had a shot of Joe Simpson calling the game yesterday while actually wearing a Braves hat, too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

zakharov posted:

I confess to enjoying about 75% of the average Magary mailbag, maybe because the format prevents him from writing more than 1-2 paragraphs on a topic. I cannot believe his "Why Your Team Sucks" series is still a thing, though.

Why Your Team Sucks is entirely redeemed by the one Lions fan completely losing his poo poo in it from last year.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm shocked that Bill Barnwell is only 31. I'd have bet he was in his 40s, easily.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

Yeah I like Burneko's food posts

As do I. Those food articles make me laugh harder than anything else on Deadspin, with the possible exception of the fan submissions into Why Your Team Sucks.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

DOOP posted:

Is this over Conde Nast, The Hulkster, or both

It's over the management of Gawker taking down the Condé Nast/Geithner post.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Crazy Ted posted:

There are a surprising amount of people who hate the Designated Hitter, and some of them weren't even alive when the DH was adopted.

More like Designated Hitler.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Does Simmons even write anymore? Because it doesn't look like anything by him is anywhere on the site.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Scaramouche posted:

Not a dis, but I think most of those guys have had their Ali stories written for years, maybe going back every few months to add something.

Not sure if feature writers do this, but it's a common practice to do that for obituaries for elderly celebrities.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

C. Everett Koop posted:

Also this is a good piece about A-Rod's TV redemption, but even in a fluff piece he manages to bury himself:

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2017/10/25/16539596/alex-rodriguez-redemption-mlb-on-fox-world-series

Eh, he grew up a Mets fan and they were the TV crew in the 80s. I have a soft spot for that era McCarver too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

DJExile posted:

the new WYTS about the Lions doesn't have a comment from ZODIAC MOTHERFUCKER

did he finally swear off that team

He did, actually. I believe he also skipped WYTS last year as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

FMguru posted:

I'll stick by my description of Rovell as "spiritually mutilated".

Didn't someone from Deadspin refer to him as "post-human"? That was my favorite description of him.