Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I know this article is from a Yahoo! contributor, but it's really a work of art. There are people who really think like this.

quote:

How about Mike Cameron? Do you think he can hit more than four home runs? Mike is completely healthy, and will play in more than 48 games. Add 20 home runs to last years total, and don't forget about his glove in center field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
If he thinks men write better sports columns than women, it doesn't make him a misogynist. He's entitled to his opinion; it's not like he said they shouldn't be allowed to write them.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

A drat FOG posted:

Enlighten me, what characteristic of being a woman could make it harder to write a sports column? Is it the clit?

I don't know? I never said I agreed with him.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

A drat FOG posted:

You defended what he said as "not sexist" so I assumed you would be able to come up with some way for his opinion to make sense without being sexist.

No, I said his statement about preferring male sports columnists to female sports columnists doesn't automatically make him a misogynist, because it doesn't. It may very well be sexist, depending on what it is rooted in.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Whatever he's done in the past, Barnicle is a good tv guy and a calm, reasonable voice in an era of hyperbole. There's no point in him responding to deadspin, because that will just set a precedent. They know that too, and when he doesn't indulge them they'll claim victory but honestly they just look petty.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
The irony is that the goal of SABRmetrics is to try and quantify the best and most valuable players. The only difference between that and the "MVP system" is that the MVP system is more ambiguous and subjective. He can use any system he wants, I don't think anyone is going to care much, but there's no need to get defensive and lash out at some imaginary boogeynerd.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

barkingclam posted:

I kind of miss Play Magazine, there was some great writing there. Michael Lewis wrote a really good piece on Texas Tech football for them a few years ago.

And yeah, Yahoo is doing a tremendous job on the Miami story, that's some amazing reporting. I read the other day that Yahoo Sports is pulling in more numbers than ESPN. I'm not surprised, they've been doing a great job as of late.

It probably also has to do with how clean and simple their site is. People (especially those at work) don't want to deal with giant flash ads for Gatorade taking over the screen and videos playing automatically.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Harm Barn Gumshoe posted:

Am I reading that Cameron quote wrong or is his point that the Orioles haven't moved up, despite how easy it is to find analytically-minded FO people that could help them?

Yeah pretty much, although it's not even about moving up in the rankings, but getting an "analytical upgrade". He implies that they didn't do that, so I doubt they will move up in the rankings at all. Perhaps down??

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Boston is a racist town, Philadelphia is a racist town, America is a racist country. I saw the Do The Right Thing and Crash, so I am basically a subject-matter expert.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
The sad part is that underneath all of the resentment and innuendo there's a really good point to be made. If he stepped back and stopped taking her success so personally, it would be much easier to be on his side.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Medical Sword posted:

He's literally ranting and raving about a woman being attractive and successful dude I'm not sure on what level I'm supposed to "be on his side"

Yeah but to me it's interesting, the idea of hiring reporters based heavily on looks. I don't know if it says more about the network or the actual job itself, that it could even become a factor.

Then--and I'm not saying this is necessarily the case with Andrews--if a given reporter fails horribly at their job, whose fault is it, and where do they go from there? It kinda reminds me of the mid-90s, when NBA teams started drafting tons of high school players who had more raw athleticism than actual skill.

Also, how would you measure Andrews' success? ESPN seemed pretty intent on putting her in the forefront as much as possible, and the fact that she's gone now is interesting. It is possible that they were just following their own unwritten rule of not letting one person overshadow the network. Either way, this move to FOX seems mostly lateral.

Beyond that, I did think her quotes about not understanding all the attention as gets seemed a bit disingenuous. By now she has to understand it, although maybe there is some context to them that I'm missing.

Regardless, you don't have to be on his side at all. It would just be easier for people to align with his viewpoint if he left out the, you know, oppressive language.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Just so we're clear, do people think Mushnick is completely off-base or just partially right and taking his argument too far?

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

I didn't even hear him say it, but that clip pretty much sums up every episode of First Take ever

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Mariotti does come off as smug and still has that short-guy complex, but he's right about a lot of what's going on in sports journalism. It's been moving toward a TMZ-type landscape for a while and it's kind of gross. I wouldn't agree with the notion that Skip Bayless is someone to look up to, though.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

ElwoodCuse posted:

Syracuse retired #44 because they knew they would never again have anyone worthy of wearing it

Yeah they'll never be able to top Rob Konrad.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Richard Sherman looked like a big stupid baby and somehow managed to made Skip look reasonable.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Politicalrancor posted:

Still the best part was when Skips says "that's debatable" about him not being one of the 22 best sports media figures because even he knows he can't argue that. The reason Sherman looks terrible is because Skip Bayless is a cartoon, you can't argue with him and not look ridiculous. Or Chris Broussard. gently caress Chris Broussard.

Agreed on all counts, but "you suck at life" is straight out of 7th grade.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I agree with Woj's assertion that the general public is dickholes and prone to unfunny hyperbole.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

rape n.
4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Crion posted:

If you needed to get to dictionary definition number 4 before you found one that didn't reference violent sexual assault, perhaps you should have just logged out and saved the discussion your no-effort trash spewing

I'm really sorry that you're having a bad day. Maybe there's a hotline you can call?

Piniella can use that word and be accurate. Over-the top in the context of a baseball trade, but accurate if that's how he's trying to use it.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Crion posted:

The term always implies sexual violence, even when applied to places--do you honestly think the Rape of Nanking was just about burning down buildings?--and if you're the kind of coward who hides behind a dictionary because you're unwilling or unable to articulate that you simply don't give a gently caress about the implications of using the word or what minimizing sexual violence in our culture leads to, I'm sure Reddit has some scintillating Bruins threads for you to park yourself in far away from here

I am going to go out on a limb and declare that in this instance, there are no far-reaching implications to Lou Piniella using the word "rape" to describe a baseball trade on a Yankees broadcast. I know I am really setting myself up here, but I'm willing to take that chance.

I guess I just don't understand what the end-game is for the people who get outraged at this kind of thing and try to turn it into a story. I can see the angle of absurd-but-kind-of-funny because of how awkward he sounded tripping over himself. All Drunk Canuck said was that he was a dumbass, so that didn't seem to be what he was going for exactly. Maybe it was? His post was kind of low-effort, but I didn't feel the need to call him out for it. I thought maybe he wasn't completely informed of all the uses of it, but clearly I was being dense.

Ok so I grant that in all contexts that, as you and leokitty said, "rape" is a word with sexual implications. Where are we? Lou Piniella said a sexually violent word. What now?

Also I wasn't going to acknowledge it the first time but are you seriously trying to act as some sort of moral gatekeeper of the Something Awful Sports Argument Stadium because holy moly.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Mornacale posted:

The "end-game" is that people who normalize rape are rightfully shamed into not doing so, hopefully helping in some small way to chip away at rape culture.

What's the endgame for you white-knighting the use of "rape" to describe a minor sports event?

The goal is to make the word so common and normalize it to such a degree that the mere mention instantly causes the act itself to occur, kind of like a manchurian candidate or police dog.

You're right leokitty, I was confusing Crion with a more reasonable version of mornacale.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

uublog posted:

Not to interrupt ShaughnessyChat, but his thing on doctoring a ball was actually kind of interesting to me. Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled programming, gently caress Dan Shaughnessy

Really though how are professional journalists allowed to just berate players for a living with no possible repercussions, aside from lots and lots of pageviews? It's almost as if journalistic integrity/ethics don't exist anymore (they don't, :ughh:)

What do you mean by repercussions? He did a real uncomfortable interview and it amounted to very little, but it speaks for itself. Why would there be repercussions for that?

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Kellerman's radio show on ESPN NY was really good, but I haven't heard his LA show. I can't really stand Marcellus Wiley so that might have something to do with it.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
NASCAR was rising fast in the late 90's/early 00's, but has tapered off a bit lately. Hardcore fans could probably give you a more in-depth explanation, but NASCAR has made a lot of bad decisions in the past 5-6 years, to the point where even the biggest supporters have begun to lose patience.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
That's awesome actually, but he couldn't pick a better medium than twitter? At least tweetlonger or whatever it's called?

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/788928211929427968?s=21

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Ratto is also a very good interview, he can riff on whatever

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Curtatone is a douche but he’s def the lesser of two evils in this case

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
They leaked anyway

https://twitter.com/THEE_GURU_/status/1145983008593154048

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Selfishly, I would like whichever outcome hastens the return of the NCAA Football video game franchise (ideally from someone other than EA)

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

VAR is good, the implementation of it in the Premier League is loving abysmal

aso for NFL pass interference calls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
you're implying that barstool has a soul

e: sniped

Ace Jameson fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 12, 2020