Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Crion posted:

Reilly predicted the Super Bowl to end 35-34 in OT today, btw (ESPN backtracked it after the fact to be 35-34 in regulation).

To do that, both teams need to get 32 points in regulation, which is no simple task. The three easiest ways:

4 TDs with 4 successful 2PCs
3 TDs with 2 successful PATs + 4 FG
4 TDS with 3 successful PATs + 1 FG + 1 safety

Then in overtime, Team A needs to score a FG on the first possession, Team B needs to drive to Team A's goal line, and then Team B has to turn the ball over to Team A then tackle Team A's recovering player in his own endzone for a safety, at which point Team B still loses the game.

That is how you get a 35-34 score in overtime.

You know, I kind of want this to happen now. We need more bizarre scorelines. Either that, or have it end 11-5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

Toffile posted:

I know. I just think that line is hilarious coming from an ombudsman who gets to about 99% of the way to saying what really happened, and then immediately pulls out of making a definitive statement.

To be fair, if you look at the full quote, he does express some disbelief about the fact that ESPN suddenly discovered out of the blue that they had no editorial control:

quote:

So what just happened? Beats me. At best we've seen some clumsy shuffling to cover a lack of due diligence. At worst, a promising relationship between two journalism powerhouses that could have done more good together has been sacrificed to mollify a league under siege. The best isn't very good, but if the worst turns out to be true, it’s a chilling reminder how often the profit motive wins the duel.

He also makes mention of ESPN shuffling Outside the Lines from 9am on Sunday on ESPN to 8am on ESPN2 once football season starts. We really need another hour of pregame? But, really, after Playmakers, is it a huge shock at all that ESPN is going to bend over backwards if the NFL is a bit uneasy?

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

morestuff posted:

Maybe (probably) fake, but:

Well, they were, so it's an accurate ESPN headline...

...so yeah, probably fake.