Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
:siren: Listen: here Website: gbs.fm :siren:

:guitar: :rimshot: :sax:
After a year, a change of developer and a total rewrite later, GBS-FM is ready to abuse your ears and question just how the gently caress can people listen to this poo poo once again.

:confused: What is GBS-FM?
GBS-FM is an automated internet radio station which plays music uploaded by its users. Listeners themselves create the playlist like a giant goon-stocked Jukebox! You can also vote for and comment on the music that's playing. The greatest part of GBS-FM is the variety - we have over 126 000 songs uploaded (over 700 Gigs!) from every genre imaginable.

Wait a minute... This all sounds strangely familiar...
Indeed. GBS-FM has been around in various forms since 2004, and was previously helmed by kalleboo. However, he couldn’t run it forever, and on the 14th of August 2009, it was closed it down. We were rudderless for a while, until Jonnty took over and rewrote it from the ground up. As it stands, the new incarnation is missing a lot of the features of the old, but fear not, progress is steady, and all the basics are there. The site has not moved from sunny Sweden, but is now hosted by Scuttle.

How do I listen?
The station uses Shoutcast and plays in Winamp, Foobar2000, iTunes, etc. Just click here which should open in your music player of choice. If not, try pasting http://gbs.fm:8080/ into your media players "open url" box. If for some reason port 8080 is blocked (by your corporate firewall for example), the stream is also available at http://gbs.fm:8001/

iPhone / iPad ? TuneIn

Android? Look towards "Streamfurious" and "A online radio".

Windows Phone 7? Resco Radio

Chrome? An extension for Chrome is available, which needs either VLC or Windows Media Player installed.

There is also a pretty nifty Vista / Windows 7 Desktop Gadget (In German, but it's obvious how to configure, just add a custom station). It doesn't get the current song or the listener count, but it does have a play button.

If you use Boxee (not the Boxee Box), read this post for instructions.

It is normal that there is some delay between what the website says is playing and you hearing it, that is just how Shoutcast works. It tends to hover at around 30 second of lag. If it is a lot higher than this for you, try restarting your media player and/or lower the size of its play buffer. Don't make it too low though, or you could get some stuttering.

How do I play a song?
The playlist, song uploading (mp3 only!), voting and forums are all located at http://gbs.fm Go there, join up and interact with the station. It's pretty self explanatory when you get there but in short - search for something in the search box, click the add button, wait.

You can only have one song on the playlist at once though, otherwise it would be even longer than the 8 14 hours it is as I write this.

When that song has played, it cannot be played again for 72 hours, to maintain diversity on the playlist.

Can I scrobble what is being played?
In a word - no. While it is possible to scrobble live streams using the unofficial foobar plugin (other media players can probably do it too) it can't parse how we send the artist and track information, and so it scrobbles rubbish that last.fm cannot interpret. You'll just poo poo up your last.fm account if you try.

Can non-goons participate?
Anybody can listen but only goons can access the website.

Hey Bass, where’s the DJs?
DJs were a part of the old GBS-FM, but we have offloaded that duty to DJ Only station, GhettoRadio. Sign up there if you want to do a show. Unlike the old GBS-FM, Ghetto shows run all the time, not just at weekends.

Chatting and Dong comments
For chat (about the music or whatever) come to our IRC channel #gbs-fm on irc.synirc.net or just Click on this instead. If you want to get a dong unbanned, or have any other problems, this is your best bet. Just ask a moderator.

:siren: The comments box at the bottom of the page is for commenting on the current dong only, all the comments are saved and are shown the next time that dong is played. Please try to avoid general chat or stuff like referring to the previous dong because it will make no sense when its played again in the future.

It isn't working / I see Don't Panic / The music is stuttering / FTP doesn't work!
The large influx of users has exposed some resource and code optimisation problems, while we work on it and fix bugs you may see some "Don't Panic!" errors. Do as it says then wait a bit and refresh.
Stuttering can be caused by problems at this end or general Internet traffic routing problems, but it can also be at yours - check you have enough available bandwidth - you need 128 kbits for the stream.

If you can't connect (or the stream is playing bees), or are getting some other error, post in this thread or join the GBS-FM IRC channel and check out what's up.

:siren: There is a bug with FTP we're trying to fix where it will just refuse to let you log in. In any case, if you have spaces in your name, replace them with _

What’s all this oh-so-hilarious ‘dong’ business about?
No-one quite remembers, but it’s likely that it was a typo that stuck, way back in the dawn of time. All the jokes have been made, it’s just part of GBS-FM’s heritage now. And who doesn’t love a good dong? :dong:

GBS-FM Moderators
These people can help you when you need help, we have absolutely NO CONNECTION TO SOMETHING AWFUL WHATSOEVER, so don't email SA Tech Support.

Scottish coder magnifique: Jonnty
Provider of bandwidths: Scuttle
Pretty bits: overdose
Mods: DaWolfey, BalthCat, Beelzebozo, MisterLizard, Jormagund, Keru, Nihiliste, newsomenuke aka the_bells aka ultra-inquisitor (who is also the botwrangler), Doctor Zero, Dominus Vobiscum.

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
Holy crap, I almost never thought I'd see the day. I knew it was coming, but this is pleasantly sudden.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
I hope there is a weekly hour slot where you just play all the lowest rated songs.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Xeno posted:

I hope there is a weekly hour slot where you just play all the lowest rated songs.

Oh boy, you're not going to be disappointed!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I stand ready to title case all your dong tags. Welcome, little ones.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
This is fantastic.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Just a reminder that the Kuuenbu meltdown happened on GBSFM. This alone makes it worth listening to. Oh, and the music's not bad either*. :)

*most of the time

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Sounds interesting. I'll check it out later.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Zero Star posted:

Just a reminder that the Kuuenbu meltdown happened on GBSFM. This alone makes it worth listening to. Oh, and the music's not bad either*. :)

*most of the time

OK, who had page 1 in the pool? Page loving one?! :eek:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Zero Star posted:

Oh, and the music's not bad either*. :)

I gave it three songs and I got southern rock (Little Feat), rhythmless ethereal (Freddy Viola) and faggy folk pop (Buried Beds). Now there's a guy speaking in monotone over what sounds like a space movie background track.

Was this playlist chosen specifically for your GBS announcement thread?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

NotWearingPants posted:

Was this playlist chosen specifically for your GBS announcement thread?

We knew we were about to launch so everyone added something, it wasn't pre-planned I swear.

Thanks for the sticky Fistgrrl!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
The cardinal rules of old GBS-FM apply equally here:

1) You WILL stare at your speakers at intervals and wonder what kind of mutants hang around this place.

2) You have just as much power as any other user to determine what music gets played, so add what you like and upload what we don't have and enjoy inflicting your music on others.

3) SEARCH THE gently caress FIRST! before uploading.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

DaWolfey posted:

Thanks for the sticky Fistgrrl!

Fistgrrl, by the way, is one of GBS-FM's oldest and most loyal listeners. If you think she's the best SA admin (and she is!) then come check us out and see what she loves so much about the station. It's a great place to discover your new favorite band or spread the word about your old one.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Holy poo poo, I thought I'd never see the day. Made it in less than a year! :woop:

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I repeat:

delfin posted:

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
GBS-FM is one of the oldest goon projects, and probably the most successful. It's opened my eyes to entire genres of music I would never have heard otherwise, and expanded what I knew of the ones I listened to already. If you go in with an open mind and somewhat of a thick skin, you'll enjoy it and, in time, maybe learn to love some of the ridiculously weird crap that shows up on the playlist from time to time.

However, I can't stress this enough:

delfin posted:

case
Mar 27, 2005

Fantastic, great to see GBS-FM alive again! Congrats to all involved!

p.s. do the "old" accounts carry over or do I need to re-reg?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

case posted:

Fantastic, great to see GBS-FM alive again! Congrats to all involved!

p.s. do the "old" accounts carry over or do I need to re-reg?

It's a whole new site, so you'll have to rereg.

Nereid
Sep 17, 2009

I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar
I was getting super sick of my iPod, awesome guys!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
This is what I miss when my internet goes out for 24 hours!

Welcome to this little festival of pain, wtf and love, we do hope you'll forgive us old people for adding the really odd things, we're just so very jaded by normal music after 6 odd years of this station, in it's various incarnations.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Beelzebozo posted:

Fistgrrl, by the way, is one of GBS-FM's oldest and most loyal listeners. If you think she's the best SA admin (and she is!) then come check us out and see what she loves so much about the station. It's a great place to discover your new favorite band or spread the word about your old one.

I'm embarassed! I have found so much new music on GBS-FM that I am forever indebted and always a supporter! It's definitely one of the best off-forum projects ever done, in all carnations.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I used to listen to the old GBS-FM and have been listening the new GBS-FM since shortly after its start and it really is awesome. I barely listen to music on my Zune anymore in favor of listening to music that makes you think, "What the gently caress?" on my Android.
I can also proudly say that GBS-FM takes up nearly 3/4 of my cell phone data usage every month.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

This thread gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside :3:

delfin posted:

The cardinal rules of old GBS-FM apply equally here:

1) You WILL stare at your speakers at intervals and wonder what kind of mutants hang around this place.

2) You have just as much power as any other user to determine what music gets played, so add what you like and upload what we don't have and enjoy inflicting your music on others.

4) Make sure your poo poo is PROPERLY TAGGED.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Kilonum posted:

4) Make sure your poo poo is PROPERLY TAGGED.

Oh yes, this too. Especially as a mod, few things are more annoying than songs with blank artists or track numbers in them.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
My personal favorite are the m456asmmgm4323525m562522.mp3 dong titles. Because that poo poo is helpful.

If you're unsure about whether or not your version of a dong is counted as a dupe, just ask anyone in the channel, the response is usually "as long as you don't upload 5 billion live versions of the same dong" you should be fine.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Keru posted:

If you're unsure about whether or not your version of a dong is counted as a dupe, just ask anyone in the channel, the response is usually "as long as you don't upload 5 billion live versions of the same dong" you should be fine.

Ah yes, the peachstapler rule.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I hope the new incarnation has trimmed most of the poo poo songs that I guess people think are hilarious to listen to ironically or whatever, I used to listen at work all the time and discovered some great music until it got to where every song on the list was either rated 1-2 or was some lovely cookie monster metal.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Fistgrrl posted:

I'm embarassed! I have found so much new music on GBS-FM that I am forever indebted and always a supporter!

And shared it! I've got a few new favorites that you uploaded.

I've been listening to GBS-FM at work every day for six years now. I can't imagine the sheer number of different songs I must have heard from it. The variety is unmatched and I've discovered dozens of favorite new bands from it.

GBS-FM :swoon:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

raditts posted:

I hope the new incarnation has trimmed most of the poo poo songs that I guess people think are hilarious to listen to ironically or whatever, I used to listen at work all the time and discovered some great music until it got to where every song on the list was either rated 1-2 or was some lovely cookie monster metal.

I don't much like cookie monster metal, but I'm not going to deny that people love that poo poo unironically. But, then again, I listen to Merzbow, so what do I know?

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

Very, very glad it's back. I have also discovered a lot of great (and a lot of stupid) music over the past years.

If I might add a request, can you consider adding the "time until this dong plays" counter to the playlist? So I can know how to time my lunch break around GBS-FM, of course.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I used to think a lot of people were trolls, but I eventually realized people really do like all kinds of music. I mean ALL kinds.

aSSbAG.
Apr 10, 2005

Somethingawful's MAD Trucker
For Android phones, I've been using streamfurious. It's a commercial app, but the free version does shoutcast just fine. There's also antropia but I haven't tried it.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

aSSbAG. posted:

For Android phones, I've been using streamfurious. It's a commercial app, but the free version does shoutcast just fine. There's also antropia but I haven't tried it.

I can confirm that freeware "A Online Radio" works fine as well on Android.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Farquar posted:

I used to think a lot of people were trolls, but I eventually realized people really do like all kinds of music. I mean ALL kinds.

I knew that Noisecore poo poo had to be trolling.

But it turns out it was not. And that shocked the absolute hell out of me.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

raditts posted:

Well part of the problem with that is that some (less, sure) people like it. We're not going to start denying people their music just because its less universally loved. That would suck. It's part of the magic of gbs-fm that you get to hear _everything_.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

The lesson here is that people like different kind of music. I gained an appreciation for lots of things I used to dislike, simply because it was on and I didn't turn the volume down for whatever reason. Try some new stuff. you might like it. If you don't like it, something else will play very shortly.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

DaWolfey posted:

Well part of the problem with that is that some (less, sure) people like it. We're not going to start denying people their music just because its less universally loved. That would suck. It's part of the magic of gbs-fm that you get to hear _everything_.

You also get the added bonus of telling them how much you really hate their taste in music.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
Yay its back!

Now to re-upload all of my remixes and the bilbo baggins song :unsmith:

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
This has made my day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

noELrunes posted:

Yay its back!

Now to re-upload all of my remixes and the bilbo baggins song :unsmith:

Search first! We already have five Bilbo songs.

• Locked thread