Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Between Monday and Tuesday, I hope to finish digitizing some Byrds singles. Be prepared to hear their output from 65-67 in their original single mixes, which actually kills the album mixes because their producer didn't give a gently caress about them being playable on your turntable.

There was actually a phone call between him and the pressing plant. He mixed a single so hot that it wouldn't play. He asked them if it would play on a radio-station's turntable with those heavy arms, and they said "Yes, but it won't play on your consumer's record player." He didn't care. He just cared that it would sound great on airplay.

Plus, you haven't heard "Have You Seen Her Face" until you've heard the real mix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

helopticor posted:

Do albums with no songs get pruned eventually?
There's no such thing as an "album with no songs". It's just a database of ID3 tags: the album only exists if there are songs in it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Incoherence posted:

There's no such thing as an "album with no songs".

But this isn't quite true.

If all of the songs in album abcd are either removed or have their album tag changed, then there will be no songs in album abcd. However, album abcd still comes up when you search for "abc", and you can still click on that link to be greeted with the album page and an empty list of songs.

It doesn't seem to have any real downside aside from clogging up searches, though.

Scuttle_SE
Jun 2, 2005
I like mammaries
Pillbug

helopticor posted:

But this isn't quite true.

If all of the songs in album abcd are either removed or have their album tag changed, then there will be no songs in album abcd. However, album abcd still comes up when you search for "abc", and you can still click on that link to be greeted with the album page and an empty list of songs.

It doesn't seem to have any real downside aside from clogging up searches, though.

It should be purged already, I'll look into it

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ack, is there a way to delete a song you uploaded? I searched for it, and thought it wasn't uploaded already, turns out I'm just retarded and blind.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Ack, is there a way to delete a song you uploaded? I searched for it, and thought it wasn't uploaded already, turns out I'm just retarded and blind.

Report the dong as a dupe and the mods will take care of it.

thebandbeforetime
May 26, 2010
Since there's no way for me to display the track titles in the Ghetto Radio stream here are the tunes I played in case anyone's curious. Apologies for the piss-poor mixing tonight.

1. Brackles - 6AM El Gordos [Brainmath]
2. Hyetal & Shortstuff - Ice Cream [Punch Drunk]
3. Egyptrixx - The Only Way Up (Ikonika Remix) [Night Slugs]
4. Dubbel Dutch - Fool In You [Palms Out Sound]
5. Hackman - Nobody Minds [Ramp]
6. LD - Swing That Skirt [Ringo]
7. Roska - Squark [Rinse]
8. Baobinga & I.D. - Tongue Riddim (Roska Remix) [Build]
9. Jackal Youth - Bruk [Reduction]
10. Deadboy - If U Want Me [Numbers]
11. Ikonika - Idiot [Hyperdub]
12. Hyetal & Shortstuff - Don't Sleep [Punch Drunk]
13. Hackman - Dusk [Ramp]
14. Addison Groove - Dumbshit [Swamp 81]
15. The Others - 100 Dollar Bills [White Label]
16. Joker - Digidesign [Hyperdub]
17. Guido - Beautiful Complication [Punch Drunk]
18. Dark Sky - Something To Lose [Black Acre]
19. Dubbel Dutch - Throwback [Palms Out Sound]
20. Kavsrave - Pclart [Numbers]
21. VVV - Project X [Fortified]
22. Steve Gurley - Walk On By [Groove Chronicles]
23. Scuba - The Upside (Martyn Remix) [Hotflush]
24. Joy Orbison - The Shrew Would Have Cushioned The Blow [Aus]
25. Synkro - Together [Smoke Session]
26. 2000f & J. Kamata - You Don't Know What Love Is [Hyperdub]
27. Harry Craze - Wa6 [Deep Medi]
28. LD - Traumatic Times [Hyperdub]
29. DZ - Ear Drumz [Black Acre]
30. Ramadanman - Work Them [Swamp 81]
31. Addison Groove - Footcrab [Swamp 81]
32. Darqwan - Ghost Not Memory [Planet Mu]
33. Rusko - Acton Dread (L-Wiz Remix) [Dub Police]
34. Ruckspin - Get Naked [Ramp]
35. Mala - Level 9 [Hyperdub]
36. LD - Woodblock [Hyperdub]
37. Jus Wan - Azure [Pushing Red]
38. Harry Craze - Thirty Six Hours [Deep Medi]

Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

NewAgeRetroHippie posted:

Absolutely. Added Jethro Tull - Cold Wind in Valhalla this morning.

The only comment it got was:

:corsair:
OLDE PEOPLE FOR TULL UNITE! :corsair:

...was a bit of a thing with g1, as quite a few of our more "mature" listeners (myself included) appreciated the delights of standing on one leg blowing into a tin tube more than these kids with their modern R&B (Rap & Bollocks) and similar pretend music.

If you like Prog then you also need to check out Van der Graaf Generator & Peter Hammill - they influenced many later bands including Genesis & Marillion.

And for your utterly OTT Progtastic needs, there's the likes of Rick Wakeman & good old Emerson Lake and quite literally Palmer great mate!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I dunno about Tull. I kinda like Thick, but a few days ago there was a Tull song on and it sounded just like a Dire Straits song.

Which was OK I guess because I really like Dire Straits.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Radio PhoolCat posted:

Van der Graaf Generator
Rick Wakeman

I've listened to a bit of Van der Graaf but i've found it pretty boring for some reason - what is their quintessential album?
Wakeman is cool but I find his style starts to grate after a while, there's something.. i dunno.. soulless about it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Report the dong as a dupe and the mods will take care of it.

Or, much more simply, click on the red X on the page for the song you uploaded, and delete it yourself. You have complete control over your own songs; you only have to bother the mods for songs you didn't upload.
Final Edit: You can only do this if you realize you added a duplicate early enough, otherwise you have to report it.

Scuttle_SE posted:

It should be purged already, I'll look into it

Thanks.

dirby fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 16, 2010

Flu Roo
Apr 13, 2010

A tear is falling down my cheek with how hard I'm laughing at this version of stairway, I didn't realize LMOM were back in the studios.

NewAgeRetroHippie
Oct 25, 2007

New Age Retro Hippie uses Toothbrush!

Radio PhoolCat posted:

If you like Prog then you also need to check out Van der Graaf Generator & Peter Hammill - they influenced many later bands including Genesis & Marillion.

And for your utterly OTT Progtastic needs, there's the likes of Rick Wakeman & good old Emerson Lake and quite literally Palmer great mate!

Funny you should mention Marillion, I've just recently been getting back into them. Looks like they've got an album out that I was not aware of... or two. Think I'll add some to the GBS-FM queue next.

Never heard Van der Graaf. I'll make it a goal to check them out when I have a bit of free time this week. Echoing Wolfey's request for perhaps a quintessential album to begin with.

No prog list would be complete without a generous helping of Wakeman and ELP.

Also, Yes. Close to the Edge should be in everyone's collection.

edit: Happy the Man didn't go over so well with goons.

NewAgeRetroHippie fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Aug 16, 2010

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

No prog list would be complete without a generous helping of Wakeman and ELP.
Maybe I'm overly partial, but shouldn't the APP be in there as well?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Just uploaded the rest of Machinegun Fellatio's Paging Mr Strike album (before there were only three tracks). Wish the rest of the band's music was easier to find, but this album is pretty awesome by itself. :)

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

the oinkinator posted:

Out of curiosity, as someone who used to be in web development, what platform/languages have you used?

For the web part, I use Django, the Python web framework, and for the actual playing of the songs I use ice0 (which uses a very small Python script to interface the two).

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

edit: Happy the Man didn't go over so well with goons.

They'll learn to like it, in time.

Radio PhoolCat
Aug 13, 2003

Gentlemanly attire.
(wheee)

DaWolfey posted:

I've listened to a bit of Van der Graaf but i've found it pretty boring for some reason - what is their quintessential album?

um, none of them, or all of them, Idunno...

Dormouse recommends "The Least We Can Do Is Wave TO Each Other" but she disclaims this with saying that her fav Genesis album is "Lamb Lies Down..." so her opinion doesn't count for much.

I disagree.

(about her opinion not counting)

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

helopticor posted:

Or, much more simply, click on the red X on the page for the song you uploaded, and delete it yourself.
Those disappeared yesterday, at least for me.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps
I think they're only there immediately after you upload and then disappear.

pill for your ills
Mar 23, 2006

ghost rock.
Seriously, you impatient kids really need to wait at least 30 seconds after the song starts before posting comments. Although, non sequitur comments can be hilarious if played right.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
I'm willing to accept the fact that there are a lot fewer metal fans (none?) this time around than there were amongst the original GBS-FM listenerbase, but could you possibly refrain from making the same 3-4 clichéd and unfunny comments on every dong with any kind of death vocal in it? Feel free not to give any of it a chance and continue making GBS threads all over it if you can come up with some original poo poo now and then.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Beelzebozo posted:

I'm willing to accept the fact that there are a lot fewer metal fans (none?) this time around than there were amongst the original GBS-FM listenerbase, but could you possibly refrain from making the same 3-4 clichéd and unfunny comments on every dong with any kind of death vocal in it? Feel free not to give any of it a chance and continue making GBS threads all over it if you can come up with some original poo poo now and then.

Ah, Beelz. How soon we forget that it was pretty much the exact same thing in the early days of the old station. (Industrial gets the same treatment)

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Gin and Juice spoken word version was goddamn amazing. Right up there with cum fiesta.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Beelzebozo posted:

Let me give this true "art" a chance

GRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWL! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLL
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAA! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUJJ

I'd rather listen to anime soundtracks.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Beelzebozo posted:

Have you tried listening to real music instead?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jetsetlemming posted:

Gin and Juice spoken word version was goddamn amazing. Right up there with cum fiesta.

This was such an incredible song, I agree.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Whizbang posted:

Have you tried listening to real music instead?

Yes, actually. I enjoy myriad forms of excellent music, as anyone who's been on GBS-FM longer than three days can tell you. Have you tried listening to anything that isn't Korean girl groups or Power Rangers theme music, chief?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Beelzebozo posted:

Yes, actually. I enjoy myriad forms of excellent music, as anyone who's been on GBS-FM longer than three days can tell you. Have you tried listening to anything that isn't Korean girl groups or Power Rangers theme music, chief?

I also enjoy DJ Magnetic Dozer, and all of those are still better than your atonal growling poo poo.

Tube
Jun 1, 2000

I'm going off the rails on a CRAZY TRAIN!

Fallen Rib

Beelzebozo posted:

:iceburn:

I'm sure the metal and industrial fans will filter in eventually, assuming that metal and industrial are played at least occasionally.

Whizbang posted:

I also enjoy DJ Magnetic Dozer, and all of those are still better than your atonal growling poo poo.

I'm curious what you consider atonal, actually, considering that heavy metal is typically... not. Do you just mean the vocals?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I like (insert whatever subgenre) Metal, but people are going to get really pissy when there's at least one 10 minute death metal song per hour. It's hard to come up with something other then "lol this person is angry" that frequently.

I could say the same thing for trance / ambient music.

Don't expect people to appreciate your fringe genre music when you're making them listen to ten minute chunks of it.

Clarence Boddicker
Jul 28, 2008

Whizbang posted:

I also enjoy DJ Magnetic Dozer
As do i. Awhile ago I found this article in a Google cache when i was hunting down his music. I think it's gone now, so I thought I would post it here for posterity:

quote:

"Think of post-rave as a creative music factory. It requires a different type of creativity. You’ve really got to take different beats and mix them in a way that they synchronize with each other and create a haze that stuns the listener. They don’t know if they hate it or enjoy it, then before they know it, five minutes has passed by and they’re loving it. When you listen to the voice samples very carefully, you will be able to associate them with distingushable beats, just like the gears of machines in a factory. The machines work together to create a product of perfect harmony; the creation of mechanical sound which does not sound mechanical, but organic." - DJ Magnetic Dozer

The post-rave genre had been slowly gnawing on the underbelly of modern dance and electronica for some time, with artists like Count Scratchula, DJ Salinger and Mish Masher Mark Basher establishing the movement’s credentials and setting a standard for future artists. However, with many critics and limited appeal, post-rave was failing to make an impact with anyone other than proponents of the genre.

The arrival of DJ Magnetic Dozer marked the point in any musical style’s life cycle where it gains mainstream recognition. The release of Bob Pokosy brought in a flood of new fans, all wanting to know “Just what is a Bob Pokosy?”. Other Dozer tracks took post-rave to new places, such as the Latin-tinged rhythms of How is Babby Formed?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Tube posted:

I'm curious what you consider atonal, actually, considering that heavy metal is typically... not. Do you just mean the vocals?

Yeah, the instrument parts of heavy metal are fine, you just need to find some songs where they bother to actually sing instead of sounding like Christian Bale Batman passed out in a gutter.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
There are worse things than growly rage-man metal; we could do a Power multi-Hour of Venetian Snares. Songs for the whole GBS-FM family like "Sybian Rock", "A Giant Alien Force More Violent And Sick Than Anything You Can Imagine", "Befriend A Child Killer", "A Penis Is Just A Great Big Clitoris With A Piss Hole", "Halfway Up The Stairway Of Mucus" and "Die Winnipeg Die Die Die Fuckers Die"!

(I actually like Venetian Snares... except for Halfway Up The Stairway Of Mucus, which is Stairway To Heaven played through digitized bagpipes made of Satan's bowels. It is bad and terrible and should never be played.)

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

could you possibly refrain from making the same 3-4 clichéd and unfunny comments on every dong with any kind of death vocal in it? Feel free not to give any of it a chance and continue making GBS threads all over it if you can come up with some original poo poo now and then.
The comments are repetitive, but as far as giving it a chance, when that vocal style comes in, it's had its chance. Too bad, too, because it ruins some awesome music. Same thing for similar vocal styles in punk and industrial. I'm not even sure what it is about it, 'cause I enjoy some extremely abrasive instrumental music.

Jibo posted:

Don't expect people to appreciate your fringe genre music when you're making them listen to ten minute chunks of it.
Seconding this, and for more than just fringe genres. There are dongs of all types with 3:15 worth of music (or less) repeated three times into a 9:45 dong.

e: and I promise not to make any more of those cliché comments, myself.

Flyball fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 16, 2010

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Jibo posted:

I like (insert whatever subgenre) Metal, but people are going to get really pissy when there's at least one 10 minute death metal song per hour. It's hard to come up with something other then "lol this person is angry" that frequently.

It's hard for there to be one an hour when the playlist is ten hours long, unless more than one person is into that kind of thing.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Hoo boy.

Look, people like different music - can we NOT turn this thread into a big genre bitch fest? Beelz' point was just that it's not funny to post COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE multiple times in the comments field of every metal song.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
My theory is that if you don't like it, you just kinda vote 1 and move on (unless it's Merzbow or Venetian Snares or 'Experimental Post-Rave', at which point I will whine on the internet)

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Let's talk about more important things than music preferences - such as where one might acquire "GET READY FOR THE BIG SHOOTOUT"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Fistgrrl posted:

I think they're only there immediately after you upload and then disappear.
Well, it's not immediate, as I still have that power for stuff uploaded 18 hours ago. It would be nice to be able to correct something you didn't notice for a couple of days.

• Locked thread