Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goodog
Nov 3, 2007

What's the etiquette on uploading mixtapes? I've got a couple which are a cohesive but varied mix of songs but they're like 45-55 minute long mp3s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

El Negocio posted:

What's the etiquette on uploading mixtapes? I've got a couple which are a cohesive but varied mix of songs but they're like 45-55 minute long mp3s.

I'm pretty sure you're only supposed to upload individual songs. If you want to play a bunch of songs in a row, you could get a slot on ghettoradio.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
Mixtapes are a no. They're seen as an excuse to play multiple tracks and are unfair.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Plus at 55 minutes it's unlikely they'll ever be played.

So yeah, don't upload them.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Protip: if the stream cuts out on you and/or bees.mp3 start playing, hop on IRC and bitch about it repeatedly to no one in particular. It helps.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 3, 2010

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
the_bells aka ultra_inquisitor aka JNTN aka JoannaNewsomTacticalNuke we miss you and we want you to come home.

signed
#gbs-fm

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

the_bells aka ultra_inquisitor aka JNTN aka JoannaNewsomTacticalNuke we miss you and we want you to come home.

signed
#gbs-fm
I made a poster to help the cause

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I made a poster to help the cause

Joanna Newsom, the_bells and kittens are all adorable in their own way.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
Holy crap, he's back!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Hey, a poem in the play list! :3:

- * - * -

Fields of fire take on me
I can't decide
I kill people, I love it loud
I am the rain, I am the owl
I am the hunted

- * - * -

Alternative ending: I love you so loving much I can't poo poo

And there's a story shaping! A planet is shining and I turned into a Martian and I turn my camera on...

Click here for the full 1164x300 image.

edit:
Planet Shining
I Turned into a Martian
I Turn my Camera On
I want to hold your hand
Like it or not
I want to tell you
I think it's going to rain today
:haw:

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Dec 10, 2010

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Doctor Malaver posted:

Hey, a poem in the play list! :3:

- * - * -

Fields of fire take on me
I can't decide
I kill people, I love it loud
I am the rain, I am the owl
I am the hunted

- * - * -

Alternative ending: I love you so loving much I can't poo poo

And there's a story shaping! A planet is shining and I turned into a Martian and I turn my camera on...

Click here for the full 1164x300 image.

Ok fine, I'll play along. (I didn't even notice that)

DaWolfey posted:

signed
#gbs-fm
Ohh he's the bells. No wonder the person seemed familiar even though the name wasn't. Thanks!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
No greater pleasure than ending a Jingle Cats streak with some Burzum...

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Doctor Malaver posted:

No greater pleasure than ending a Jingle Cats streak with some Burzum...

I like you, you can stay.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Absolute Zero is back in 30 minutes! http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

beetlebus
Mar 17, 2009
GBS.FM is definitely my new favorite discovery. Hello finals week study companion! I look forward to all the awesome and terrible music I will find. :toot:

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Don't forget the drinking game!

Every time you hear the words "Pokosy", "Zabbah" or "Häpp" take a shot.

Guaranteed you'd be dead before the end of the day.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

So is the long-ish song ban new? Cause I remember some time in the past week or so there was a song that was about 45 minutes long.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Captain McStabbin posted:

So is the long-ish song ban new? Cause I remember some time in the past week or so there was a song that was about 45 minutes long.
The way it works is that station moderators can queue long songs (they usually only do this when the playlist is nearly empty, like in the middle of the night US time), and they can also temporarily unban long songs for others to play once.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
^^^^^ :argh:

Captain McStabbin posted:

Dongs over eleven minutes long can usually be temporarily unbanned via a mod when they're asked on irc.

Weltschmerz
Sep 26, 2008

DaWolfey posted:

See also: noise. No, we won't ban it, it's music.
This thirty minute track is killing me.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Absolute Zero returns in 45 minutes! I have some new (to me) stuff from Deluka, and maybe I'll play some gazy-stuff like that. then when you're all relaxed, switch to grindcore. :haw:

http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Absolute Zero is on in 45! at the top of the hour! Today will probably be female vocals as a carryover theme from last night. http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Click here for the full 1366x649 image.

I'm glad I could be a part of helping Animals be played in its entirety.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Click here for the full 1366x649 image.

I'm glad I could be a part of helping Animals be played in its entirety.

That's pretty loving cool. Doubly so if it wasn't planned in advance on IRC.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

And nobody interrupted it?

We're heading into unknown territory :tinfoil:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Have a Windows Phone 7 phone? Now you can listen too with Resco Radio

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
We need to pick up more listeners during the Christmas break. Is there a reason some of the recent rush of newcomers didn't stay?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Listener count is steadily declining. Maybe it is time to invest in some advertisement space. Buses, bathroom walls, hiring people to make quick announcements in university lectures before the professor begins class, etc.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

We need to pick up more listeners during the Christmas break. Is there a reason some of the recent rush of newcomers didn't stay?
From the discussion we had yesterday, it might be because the wide variety of music we play is too wide for some people.

But that's GBS-FM, love it or not.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

I'd imagine it has something to do with all the terrible poo poo that some people play. I can put up with death metal and j-pop, because I understand that there are actually people who enjoy it. But then there's stuff like 10 minute Bob Pokosy songs, which are obviously just meant to annoy everyone. If you're not willing to get rid of stuff like that, I don't know if there's any way to get more listeners.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Elftor posted:

But then there's stuff like 10 minute Bob Pokosy songs, which are obviously just meant to annoy everyone.
We've been through this, read the thread :colbert:

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Elftor posted:

I'd imagine it has something to do with all the terrible poo poo that some people play. I can put up with death metal and j-pop, because I understand that there are actually people who enjoy it. But then there's stuff like 10 minute Bob Pokosy songs, which are obviously just meant to annoy everyone. If you're not willing to get rid of stuff like that, I don't know if there's any way to get more listeners.

We could stand to indulge in the in-jokes less often. None of the new people are going to have any idea what DJ Magnetic Dozer is making fun of.

Elftor
Jan 10, 2003

He asked why there aren't more people listening. Should I make up fake reasons instead?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Elftor posted:

He asked why there aren't more people listening. Should I make up fake reasons instead?

Pokosy isn't meant to annoy everyone. I can understand some people may not like / get it, but it's not a troll dong. It's not like the station plays Bob Pokosy 24/7. If someone can't just turn off the stream for a few minutes and then come back later then I don't know. A lot of people hear something they don't like and then get personally offended. That's fine, but those kind of people weren't going to stay listening long anyway.

EDIT: Personally, I think we could use some more banner ads.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 21, 2010

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

We could stand to indulge in the in-jokes less often. None of the new people are going to have any idea what DJ Magnetic Dozer is making fun of.
I don't really know what it's making fun of, but I like it. I suppose it's a bit like Weebl's stuff, you can put it on and let it loop for hours.

I reckon it's because of video games. Catchy short loops playing over and over for hours.

Anchors
Nov 27, 2007
I typically tune out when it becomes screaming deathmetal or noisecore type stuff. But different strokes for different folks. I just wait until the playlist comes back to something slightly more melodic. I can see how someone tuning in for the first time could be turned off if their first time is a solid block of anime theme songs or whatever, but I don't see a way around that short of sorting the songs into genres and creating separate streams for them, which I think is sort of counter to the point of this station.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Way to be helpful and not dismissive of peoples' points at all.

Nihiliste posted:

This. Elftor is right. A lot of the "hurr this is funny to piss people off with" music is gaining prominence. I'm a long-time listener and have had my tastes expanded manifold by the constant barrage of poo poo but I can totally see how immersion therapy does not work. We should be considerate and encouraging, not slapping new users in the face with a horrible learning curve of repetitive donk and catchphrases or circuit-bent retardation (as opposed to more accessible circuit-bending music).

It's a question of degrees, and of scope. While listeners can mute or pause the stream when a stupid dong comes on, the other side of the coin is that fans of troll/stupid/meme dongs are free to play them in their spare time and not burden the station so much with them.

edit: It would also be totally awesome if the new users who are sticking around would comment, vote, and bitch more. I'm not saying hop on the IRC bandwagon. I find that dong comments add so much spice to the station, and inventing really good ones gives you satisfaction.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
People don't stick around because they're not as tolerant of music they don't like as some of us.

Most of my friends have given GBS-FM a chance, but none of them last because "There's just too much poo poo. I don't want to have to fiddle with my radio every 10 minutes."

I understand that you guys genuinely like the "troll music", but on the flip side you have to understand that some people don't.

I try to add music that I like and I think a lot of others will like, and this is the best way to improve the quality of the station. If more people make sure they're keeping good music on the playlist, it will start to drown out the stuff you'd rather hear less of.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

Kaiho posted:

Way to be helpful and not dismissive of peoples' points at all.
We have been through this before, and he should read the thread. But since you don't seem to get it I'll say it again.

People like all kinds of music.

Yes, even that.

Yes, THAT TOO.

Just because you don't like bondage doesn't mean other people don't. Just because you don't like pineapples doesn't mean other people don't.

Costes eats poo poo.

There are all kinds of people that like all kinds of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Countdown until someone suggests an auto-ban of low rated songs.

EDIT: In all seriousness, even if we could come to a consensus over what is a "troll dong" (we can't) there are a lot of other things that would piss people off when they play, like death metal.

I agree that we need to keep the joke songs down to a dull roar, but it's not going to change the fact that the station plays EVERYTHING. People unironically like death metal. People unironically like video game music. People unironically like anime music. People unironically like Costes (I think).

That's what makes this station great - you get to hear a lot of things you wouldn't normally hear when you stick yourself in a little musical box and only listen to the same ol' same ol'. This is going to sound elitist and possibly dickish, but if you don't have a thicker musical skin, and you get all worked up because you don't understand how people like something you don't personally like, I really couldn't care less if you don't stick around.

On the other-hand, if you don't think music is SERIOUS BUSINESS and you don't mind opening your musical ear-bones once in a while, and you can just vote 1 and move on instead of commenting COOKIE MONSTER HURRRRR on every song, then I welcome you with open arms.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 21, 2010

• Locked thread